CVS Health

3,662 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,352 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

64 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Your average retail job.

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at CVS Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's really easy to jump into it, training for a cashier position took maybe a week to get everything down pat. Like most retail, scheduling is sort of flexible - but only if you work your schedule around like 3 different shifts throughout the day. I've seen people wind up in management pretty quickly - start out as a cashier, eventually wind up assistant manager in like 2 years (not me). It's still retail, but it's manager experience. 10% employee discount on everything, 20% discount on CVS brands - although discount doesn't apply if the item is already on sale. Benefits if you're full time.

Cons

Mentioned some of it above. It's retail. The pay is minimum wage or a few cents higher. And don't expect too many hours. The store I worked for would rather short staff the store than put more people on because of internal budget/quota issues. High turnovers, so sometimes you wind up working with people that don't know what they're doing. (Not everyone learns quickly.) Days off were sketchy, even if you requested in advance, but it depends on the manager. Customers can be flatout rude and you need to put on a happy face, even if you hate it.

I'd like to see more consistency throughout the chain. Some stores have high standards for the employees, but the ones that lack standards reflect poorly on the company because customers expect more.

Too hood to be true

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits for management can be enticing and in house promotions are frequent. Some customers can be awesome and make everything seem worth it.

Cons

However, management hours are humanely unsustainable and work required can be extremely unreasonable with resources supplied. Also, some customers think lowly of and disrespect employees.

The health and retail space is prime for innovation - but don't forget the employees who keep the train chugging along.

Iffy.

Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Friendly co workers, customers are friendly

Cons

No hours, not enough money

They should allow their employees to recieve more hours, especially if the employee wants more hours.

work/life balance

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in New York, NY

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great co-workers, flexible hours, opportunity for advancement,

Cons

raise is hard to come by, expectations of corporate is unrealistic and there is no communication with store levl employees other than management.

Respect and appreciate hard working employees

amazing

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

benfits, time off and great co workers. great time off great growth and good time off great growth great program, must dress professional

Cons

non union, no sick time, no personal day, must request time off in advanced, Can not call out. inexperenced managers

Pharmacy Tech Trainee/ PSA

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in New York, NY

I worked at CVS Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked part-time as a Pharmacy Tech Trainee during the summer between school years in college. It took a long time to complete the hiring process as there is a ton of paperwork, but once you start they schedule you for shifts (mostly PT). My store manager was very nice and easy to get along with, but the pharmacist was new at the time and was not interested in being friendly to the PSAs. The job is good if you are looking for experience specifically in pharmacy, and you definitely get an idea of what your future job would look like.

Cons

There were a lot of times that I felt that the job was very hectic or stressful, as you were expected to complete 3 or 4 tasks at once, and maintain accuracy (such as dispensing medication..) while also doing other tasks. It puts a lot of pressure on the PSAs and likely leads to a lot of errors in dispencing of medications to patients which is dangerous. The pay rate is also lower than other competitor pharmacies in the area.

The compensation for the position is considerably lower than competitor's, and CVS has their Pharmacy Techs do a lot more of the work than other stores (for example, Walgreens and Target). The pressure to get everything done as fast as possible compromises accuracy and can have a severe effect if the patient is given the wrong medication due to an error from rushing. The pharmacist should also take more of an active role, and not just rely on the PSAs to fill prescriptions and the pharmacist checks that the pills look right...a lot of errors could be avoided if the pharmacist were available to supervise the PSAs if we had any questions, and also patients who come to pick up their medications usually prefer the pharmacist to handle the transaction, as they can explain to them the directions as to how to take the medication.

cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours when I was in school.

Cons

I can't think of any

Good benefits. Good pay. Bad CEO. Bad resources. No incentives.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Good Pay
    - Great benefits. Offer 401k 5% match
    - Overall job tasks simple
    - Great company to work for through school. (Very flexible)
    - Fast training for new employees
    - Work-Life balance good until you become a Store Manager.

Cons

- CEO : ( His bonus has been increasing yearly since his takeover, yet in store hours have been slashed significantly every year)

- Hour Cuts : Since the removal of tobacco making a schedule to comfortably run the store has become a major challenge as hours have been cut upward of 80 per week. This means less employees which yields worse customer service scores and makes completing simple no-brainer tasks such as taking a mandatory 30 min break per employee nearly impossible every day. (with that said, I don't recall the last time I actually sat down for a 30 minute break since the cigarette's went out of the stores)
    What I find funny is even though the hour cuts, stores are still forced to open 365 days a year. All major holidays.

- Ancient Technology : The computer system is extremely out dated and running on computers and software that would have seem acceptable in the 90's. Specific office tasks take up huge binder space and waste tons of paper a week. These tasks could all be simply done on programs such as excel to save time looking through 10lbs binders and drawers of files with what seems to be pointless information.

- No incentive / Opportunities : There is a bonus you can work towards but over the past few years they just keep making it more and more difficult to achieve anything great. Weekly budgets have been sky rocketing to barley reachable amounts. Outdated machines such as photo takes away at our budget for repairs almost weekly. Less hours means less employees which yields bad customer service scores. Each store gets rated on this and by the end of the year this also affects the bonus pool.
    Once you become a Store Manager there really is no further advancement anytime soon. I've been for the company for a few years now and whoever I witness become a Store Manager has either left the company or is still a Store Manager. At most you may get a larger volume store but the "Stuck" feeling is definitely present.
    With that being said, the Assistant Manager position is quite comfortable especially since it's hourly, compared to Store Manager's... who input vacation days they earned in order not to go over weekly hours or spend 60 hours in the store a week to not even see a decent quarterly bonus like most companies do.

Good company

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Plenty of opportunity if you make the right friends. Company continues to grow.

Cons

Long hours and no play roll. Lack of respect of personal time.

Be prepared to work hard and roll up your sleeves.

It was a learning expierience

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, 401k, Stock Options and Training the ability to manage your store without to much micro managing as long as you stayed to company guide lines and procedures.

Cons

No work life balance,Not enough payroll to keep up with workload and seasonal transitions,disconnect between pharmacy staff and front store associates,