CVS Health Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

2. It could be either a great experience or your worst nightmare.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

CVS gives you great opportunities to grow. To start as a cashier and sooner than later, with some in store training all of a sudden you are an Assistant Manager which is the second highest position after Store Manager. You can work any department... photo, cosmetics/beauty, pharmacy, stock, shift supervisor, etc. They are always hiring and, it is not really hard to get hired.

Cons

Where to start...?
    When you work at CVS, Everything is your job. They absolutely expect you to do anything you're asked to do. I started as a cashier. In a year, I went from cashier to head cashier to beauty adviser to shift supervisor which required me to work at the photo dept., cosmetics, hallmark, truck deliveries, pharmacy, etc. I loved it. I learned so much! Not everybody can take this kind of responsibility tho, it is A LOT of work. And yes, like somebody mentioned on another review, you don't have the amount of staff you need to complete every single task the manager would ask you to do so... it's all on you.
    So many other cons:
    -they have the habit of calling you to go to work on your days off. You would either get too many hours or almost none because...
    -they would cut your hours to one or two day a week very constantly.
    -you are expected to do many, many tasks that are not what you were hired to do.
    -they will make you sign a paper saying that there was $$ missing out of your register at any given point (never fails, no matter how careful you are)
    -CVS does not care about their employees but...
    - "the customer is Always right" is taken very seriously.
    -there is alot of drama going on between employees, hatred, jelousy, "thats not my job", personal life stories, sharing discount cards, etc.
    -Manager can be very, very strict or very careless
    ...and more. There is so much more but I am exhausted just thinking about so much to write.

Read other reviews ^^^, they're pretty accurate.

Advice to Management

I wonder if DM's or RM's even bother to read this reviews.
    I transferred to a store in 2012 where the Store Manager was absolutely ridiculous. I was scheduled to work overnights 11pm-7am and I was a Shift Supervisor, yet all I was ALLOWED to do was work on the truck deliveries (stock) and dust and "face" through the aisles. It was just me, another SS and ONE cashier.
    The amount of customers that would go to the store to STEAL overnight was absolutely ridiculous, like 9 out of 10.
    One night, I almost got robbed but when I realized the suspicious activities from two customers, I went in the office and called the police while Praying for my cashier to be safe while the police got there. I called the store Manager many, many times. No answer. She got there in the morning and after telling her everything that happened, I mean, we could have got shot very easily, she did not care. All she did was yelled and curse and ask why was the truck not done and even dared to question me for calling the police when I felt and Knew for a fact that we were in danger. She also said I was not to leave the store until I dusted and faced the store. I just quit right then and there. She ended up giving me my last paycheck almost TWO Months later and put me as "Non-rehireable" in the system.
    This is the kind of people you have Managing your stores. What a shame. I was a great employee ever since 2003. I decided to relocate to another state and thought it would be good to stay with the company but, I guess every manager runs the store their own ways which is not necessarily the best way. Your loss. I could have been a great asset for this company.

There is soooooooooooo much that needs to change at this company but I wouldn't waste my time, knowing nobody cares.

3. Cvs is okay but not the best

Current Employee - Management Development Trainee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Management Development Trainee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CVS Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Good as a first job or temporary job, but it is taxing.

Cons

Standing all day, management is okay dependent on your store. Mine sucks.

Advice to Management

Better pay for high performance workers

5. Love my job

Current Employee - Cashier/Rx in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Rx in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Great people, great oppurtinity, and great company.

Cons

No discount on sales, slow on updating stuff.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. :)

6. Stay away if you can

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician: Certified Pharmacy Technician in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

There are no PROS. Companies like this don't care if your mom is dying....literally

Cons

I worked in the Pharmacy, everything is about numbers, they exploit their workers with stupid tactics. If you can, go to Target or even Walmart

Advice to Management

So making your employees fill out stupid questionnaires!!! We don't hit our target the District Managers don't get their bonuses.......Then they will pissed.

good company to work

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CVS Health (More than 10 years)

Pros

good support, good pay, well trained techs, supporting front store personnel, good working facilities, clean pharmacies, good health benefits, good retirement plans, well managed 401k

Cons

long hours, hectic work pace, ambitious sales targets, management overwhelmed with their own workload, nights and weekends work, holidays open

Advice to Management

need to relax the goals, listen to employees sides of an issue or complaint, need to provide better vacation coverage,

8. Bad pay

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They always worked around my schedule which was important to me as a mom. They also had good employee perks like free movie tickets and things like that.

Cons

Their raises were a joke. They promoted me into a new position, which gave me more responsibility, but it came without the pay to match.

Advice to Management

This advice goes more towards corporate. Please stop pocketing all the money. You're loosing a lot of great employees because of your stinginess.

just dont

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

this company will pay you a decent wage as far as retail goes

Cons

cvs has an abnormally backwards management system. they will not give you the hours they promise you and the favoritism is very obvious

Advice to Management

do not launch an investigation on an innocent person just to get them to leave. there are far less stressful situations that will provide the opportunity

Experience at CVS pharmacy is fair

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

You get a good amount of experience and knowledge working in the pharmacy. There are some good benefits if worked full-time.

Cons

Out dates technology and software used compare to other companies such as Walgreens, etc. No pay raised even after working for the company for long time.

Good Company, bad management!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, good networking, great opportunity for professional growth

Cons

Management at a district level is more focus on making a bonus at the end of the year than providing a good healthy environment for employees, stress leves on meeting impossible targets make this great company a nightmare! Hours cuts make managers work dangerous shifts ( only one person in the store at opening and closing)

Advice to Management

District and regional management should Work at more at the store level to see exactly what happens in the stores.

Showing 29 of 4,839 reviews