CVS Health

3,468 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,285 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

65 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very good employer.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Media, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Media, PA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent with co employees. Good benefits and nice to work with customers.

Cons

The hours are very long usually 9 hour shifts.

Salary should be increased and there should be greater staffing.

Worst company!! only care about numbers!

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Norristown, PA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Norristown, PA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

flexible hours available
    30% discount for employee

Cons

No breaks
    No significant raise
    very stressful

Stressful job

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Willow Grove, PA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Willow Grove, PA

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work for cvs would be a the fact that your learn a lot about the drugs talking to the pharmacist and understand how insurances work. This a great starter job for science major especially pharmacy,pre-med,pre-dental,and nursing students etc because you learn a lot about what the common drug dosing are.

Cons

very stressful. You get yelled A LOT by customers. You are the middle man so if something goes wrong with their doctors or insurance they tend to take it out on you. It is a rapid workspace so you need to be quick because people are so impatient. The upper management does not care AT ALL about their employees they only care about how much money they can get out of the customers and tend to over work the employees. Lots of unnecessary training every time and stupid papers to write about how you can be a better employee. They over work you and you have no breaks. They always change the rules making it stricter and harder for us. Worst part is that the pay is really low.

Hire more people and go easy on us we are stressed.

This job taught me I don't want to work in retail

Former Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at CVS Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Small environment. Loved my coworkers, we all went to the same college and became friends outside of work.

Cons

Sales oriented. Hours get cut if you don't meet minimum standards. And employee results were posted in break room to shame lower performing employees

Store Manager

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for the company for three years. I started as an assistant then got promoted as a store manager. The pay is good. They give a decent amount of vacation time.

Cons

No support from upper management. Each year you lose more hours to run the store so I have to work in a store alone even though its against company policy.

worked for them fired over something so little, got days mixed up.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the people you work with

Cons

what happened to me was my fault, but should still be their.

I have one thing to say never get rid of a good employee over something trivial.

A big disappointment.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Newtown, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Newtown, PA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It was a great company that I was proud to work for. That was about 5 years ago though. NOW, if you like being over worked, under paid, and being set up for daily failure you should definetly apply.

Cons

The managers I work with are great. Its what's coming from corporate that is sending cvs down the tubes. It was promised to us store level employees that we would not have our hours cut once they stopped selling cigarettes, they would just adjust the budget sales to reflect the loss. Well that was a lie. The news talks about how cvs is willing to take this massive cut in sales because they care so much for the customer. Well the bonus' of our CEO and those alike will very minimally change due to the fact that they are cutting hours drastically to make up for the loss in sales. The work load is the same or greater (depending on what HRs most recent awful ideas are) but you need to do it all with a lot less help. When you work in a store you not only do the job of running the store, but if someone has an issue and "destroys" your employee restroom it's you who is in charge of cleaning of the bodily fluid left behind, if people litter outside your store it is also you cleaning it up, if the plow does an awful job in your parking lot it is you who has to shovel and chip away at the ice. But you'd better not go over hours and you better finish your unfair workload! For years everyone I worked with enjoyed working at cvs, the workload didn't seem so heavy. Now everyone I work with (besides my SM) is desperately seeking employment elsewhere. CVS knows at this time the job market is tough. We are all replaceable. It's very sad, I was a very dedicated employee, I'm one of the hardest workers you will ever meet, and I get jobs done while making customers happy. CVS has lost my dedication. This is my job now, I'll continue to do it well until the day I don't have to come back, but recommend this corporation? Support it? No longer.

Focus a little of your energy on your employees. We are the ones who make each store what it is.

Decent starter

Former Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at CVS Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good exposure to people.
    Good first/early job.

Cons

Monotonous, not really much going on.

Too Out of touch

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you're doing your job competently, you have the freedom to do almost whatever you want. As a manager you have freedom over most aspects of your store if you choose to use it.

Cons

Anyone who works above store level is far too out of touch with what happens on a day to day basis. Constantly getting hours cut to help improve the bottom line. Managers and Assistants are required to pick up the slack with getting the tasks done, but then are reprimanded for not spending enough time being an "office manager."

All Support staff should have to spend one day in the store each month, so they realize what impact their demands are causing. All they ever do is sit around in meetings, and then tell us how we're doing our jobs wrong. How can you say I'm doing my job wrong when you couldn't do it yourself?

Shift Supervisior

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Phila, PA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good hrs, okay pay, great employees

Cons

Managers should pay attention more to people that they hire. A lot of them don't care about the job and the people who care have to pick up their slack.