CVS Health Reviews

• Phoenix, AZ Area

1. overworked and no appreciation

Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

there is no pros about this company

Cons

understaffed never supported poor salary they don't provide you with the supplies needed
    cheap let the stores look rundown have carpet won't let you have it cleaned pharmacies are old and out dated they are way behind on technology

Advice to Management

stop running on bare bone minimum hours and having dirty old store that are dark and uninviting

I wish I knew then what I know now.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are decent. Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance. Being such a large company, CVS Caremark has plenty of opportunities within the company from which to choose your next position.

Cons

There is way too much administrative overhead on my team. There is little motivation to improve processes or reduce redundancies. Everyday is a new fire drill. Team members are not valued and there is no sense of employee development. Upward mobility exists only insofar as your ability to be management's puppet. Unfortunately, a clear gender bias exists with respect to management's selection of team leaders.

Advice to Management

Good individual contributors don't always make good leaders.

CVS Pharmacy - Not so well oiled machine.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From my experience and those of people I know, it is fairly easy to get hired here. As a college grad with no job experience looking to get into the medical field, you can't do much better than to start here. Busier pharmacies are looking for a hot body to stick in front of the register or at the drive-thru, you can basically be a Neanderthal. Pay rate is decent. Scheduling is generally very flexible, especially if you work at a 24-hour pharmacy. Working in a 'team' environment is helpful when it comes time to ask questions or pass off a problem. Some coworkers can be great to work with, which helps since you are literally in the same small room together for hours each day. Meeting and developing relationships with patients is often rewarding.

Cons

You'll be lucky to get 10-15 hours per week starting out. Definitely not a job to live on. Most of my coworkers are students or have another job. CVS likes to think its training program is extensive and puts an emphasis on customer service. Basically, to become a 'pharmacy technician trainee', you will attend several classes which are glorified lectures where packets of information are drilled into you to be regurgitated on online quizzes and then promptly forgotten until you're actually on the job where you will learn 90% of what you need to do your job. The learning curve is steep and the stress is high. I've seen many people quit within the first month. Dealing with difficult patients can be a struggle. One coworker told me she used to go home crying regularly. Some pharmacists can be condescending and downright disrespectful. Great practice for going into the medical field, but not so fun if you're just doing it as a job.

Advice to Management

From what I've seen and heard management mainly cares about the bottom line, which is number of scripts filled and money earned. Surprise surprise. They send down ludicrous policies that are so out of touch with the reality of retail pharmacy they may as well have been drafted up by Martians. Hour wait times for rebills? Zero tolerance for wait times over 15 minutes? Three uses of a customer's name per interaction? Give me a break. Maybe our customer service scores are in the toilet because people hate to be confronted with anything other than stellar outcomes and instant gratification. In a perfect world, insurances would never ask for prior auths and obvious addicts could just go ahead and pick up that Oxycontin script two weeks early. Wearing a name tag that says I Can Help! and using someone's name five times isn't going to magically make people stop being cantankerous.

5. Great

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed all the people I worked with I was taught a lot about cvs from all of my store managers.

Cons

I feel that the store managers are very put upon by upper management especially when it comes to the number of hours stores are allowed to have.

Advice to Management

While the store managers do a very good job upper management should cut them a little slack especially in terms of the number of hours allowed per store as well as the hours that they work.

6. Corporate cares more about customers its than employees, everything will depend on how well your team works together.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are really good about promoting within. Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Stores are not provided with enough hours to meet all of the expectations of the corporate office. There are many programs every employee both in the stores and the pharmacies are required to promote on a daily basis, there are even instances of people being fired for not reaching weekly goals. It is a demanding company to work for no matter the position; from cashier all the way up to at least area management if not higher.

Advice to Management

Either cut back on your programs and/or lower your goals or put more hours in your stores. We can not do everything required by you being open 15 hrs a day, everyday, and run a store to your high expections with 213 hrs a week.

7. working for cvs

Former Employee - Shift B Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Shift B Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with including store managers were great learned something from everyone.

Cons

the district manager sometimes reacted to quickly.

8. It is a very good company to work for. There are many opportunities and different areas to work for and grow.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities and different departments to work in. You have the advantage to move around and grow.

Cons

Once you're with the company the pay raises are not necessarily the best.

Advice to Management

Management should demonstrate the value of their employees by providing them better and more training within their area.

9. My experience has been very rewarding.

Current Employee - Senior RMT Med D Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior RMT Med D Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities to not only bring skills in but learn new ones. CVS Caremark is a plan sponsor for Med D, so if anyone is interested in honing their skills in this area, this is a great place to do so.

Cons

There seems to be a lot of reorganizing, therefore frequent changes in leadership and changes in staffing (recently).

Advice to Management

Repurpose your talent.

10. 2 people can not effectively run the store

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

decent pay for a retail job

Cons

they ask too much with no bodies to do the job

Advice to Management

quit cutting payroll and you will get the customer service you want. 1 employee cannot be the cashier, photo clerk, walk everyone the the item, check in vendors, answer phones, take passport photo's, answer back door, help little old ladies find there lip stick shade all at the same time!!! And do it with a smile. come one!

An exercise in frustration

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady hours with frequent oportunities for overtime.

Cons

Working for CVS Caremark is an exercise in frustration. The communication between departments is pathetic. Not only does the right hand not know what the left is doing, each finger on the hand is clueless about the others. When problems are brought up they are given lip service but nothing more. The technology used here is so out of date it’s almost laughable. It is very poor customer service to have to lie saying the system is updating when it’s simply too slow to handle the workload. Caremark is implementing a "famous for service" business model that forces us to do the jobs of no less than 5 different departments for the pathetic pay of 1. For what they expect of you the pay should be at least 50% higher than it is. All new employees are forced to work Saturdays. It takes an act of God to get a Saturday off either for 1 weekend or permanently. The local HR reps are as useless as an open on impact parachute. Calling a national HR number is about as easy as having an infected tooth removed rectally. I’ve had to call several times to have a simple issue resolved (an address change), spending no less than 1 hour on the phone each time. I should be able to log in to the HR website and perform any number of tasks quickly and easily but due to their outdated systems that’s simply not the case. The benefits packages are no benefit at all. If I could afford the deductibles we’re being charged I wouldn’t need health insurance. The fact that we have to pay a deductible for our prescriptions is disgusting. Being that we’re a pharmacy we shouldn’t be paying much if anything for our prescriptions. This company is only marginally better than Express Scripts (where I had worked for over 5 years and currently #2 worst company in America to work for). I would not recommend working here to anyone who wasn’t truly desperate for a job. On an average day I have more desire to be sent to federal prison than to work at this company.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee satisfaction instead of trying to squeeze every last penny out of every customer we have. Happy employees will perform much better which will lead to higher profit. Put a crowbar in the corporate wallet and put some money into better technology that actually works, not to mention paying the wage slaves better. The CEO and other executives don’t need or deserve the pay and bonuses they’re getting. That money should be going to the hourly employees who have to work 2 jobs because the benefits are so pathetic and the wages are so low they have no money for the massive deductibles they have to pay. This company is in some serious trouble and will soon be competing with Express Scripts for the #1 spot on the worst companies in America to work for.