CVS Health Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

3,081 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,121 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 157 reviews)

• The main one is there is absolutely no work/life balance whatsoever (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

98 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Management

Former Employee - Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at CVS Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice group of co-workers. Trainer is knowledgable and does a good job,

Cons

Horrible upper management, company run on regular "groups" of rumors, and stepping on each other to benefit yourself. The woman in charge is not only completely inexperienced - never having stepped In a contact center before, but also never in the medical field. The management under her is so fearful of her, they pick up all her slack, as well as complete most of her projects. I've never in my life seen this type of behind the back talking, and looking the other way in my life! Human resources also is severely lacking!! Agreed with the earlier comments, that they look at employees as numbers, and customers - or - $ is the priorities. Refuse to recognize any top performers, yet keep people that are obviously hurting the company. Very much a social game of .. If I like you, do whatever you want. If, I don't, I'll figure out a plan to get rid of you. What a awful company. If your looking- keep going.. So many other great company's with amazing standards of practice and management, to waste your time here!

Re- evaluate your upper management.. Not by asking them, but by asking all the levels of people under them - anonymously.. So you can get an accurate idea of the problems you face.

Ok to start, but no place for a career.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work experience, you will get a good knowledge of a lot of basics. It was my first job, and still a wonder how I have stayed with this company so long. The starting pay seems nice but after that, there aren't many opportunities for a decent pay raise.

Cons

Management is ludicrous. They have the most unrealistic expectations, you can only assume they are trying to burn you out. The hours are awful, and I am often running the store, sometimes a full eight hours, alone. And they still will expect you to get the whole workload done.

Like I said, starting pay seemed pretty nice. They start cashiers(In my district) at 9 dollars an hour. After that good luck getting anything more. They use a raise system, you get a review once a year. It is not based on your work performance individually, but rather if the store is making sales goals, payroll goals, email collection rates, My Customer scores, KPMs, and SOS. If you are making all those, you may get your raise a good 6 months after your review date, and it will be based, for front store, on their typical rating system(meaning 2.5% of what you make now.) It took me five years, five reviews, and three promotions to get an extra 2 dollars an hour. I make $11.10 now, they hire in my position at $13-$15.

They have a TON of insane grading systems you have to live up to. It makes it difficult to focus on work, and seems to be a way for them to keep turning and burning employees. It would be nearly impossible to be making all metrics at one time. We are expected to hit %20 percent email collection a week(if you do not you will be written up) 18% on Coupon Center redemption, we also have My Customer, GOT heart, KPM, SOS, and who knows what more.

It's a very difficult work environment, we often are there until 10pm and back at 7am the next day. Ever since the new CEO has taken over things have become incredibly stressful and so very micromanaged, it's hard to enjoy. It feels like we're constantly being threatened because of this that and the other(we have been audited and failed before because a vacuum was too close to the circuit breaker and we had keys in the bailer...while we were bailing boxes.)

Listen to the workers, I have not met one employee that has worked there more than a year that doesn't absolutely hate it.

Lacks appreciation and reward

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

High turnover. Low starting pay. 6% restricted pay for level promotions. You have to leave and return to make more money. Benefits keep going down. No motivation for longevity.

You are loosing the best people to jobs outside the company. Execs need to foster talent and encourage stability.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Innovative Company with Outstanding Leaders and Collaborative Workplace

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growth and opportunities for advancement

Cons

There are some individuals with titles who are too young or inexperienced to be in leadership roles.

AM needs to streamline their business process and avoid hiring kids right out of college with no business experience or managers who lack leadership skills. A manager should know answers and be responsive. Streamline and hire qualified leaders, not kids.

A very neurotic environment full of tension!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at CVS Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

It did have a nice café.

Cons

Complete control over your every move! You cannot go to the bathroom unless it's your break. During training, we had to ask for permission.

The trainer, who kept track and submitted our hours - failed to report our last week on time! Consequently, we received a our first paycheck that shorted us forty hours! And I was told that I had to wait until the next paycheck to recover it! It was only after several emails and calls to complain did I receive the balance - one week later!!!

During training, there was a young lady that sat next to me that was extremely ill! I mentioned to our trainer that since there were plenty of open terminals at the back of the class - could we move if we were afraid of catching someone else's sickness! My trainer replied that since you would be unable to move to a different location on the floor (once you left training) - there's no reason for someone to move now. When I brought it to her attention that if we got too sick to come to work during training - we would lose our job!!! She had no response to that.

Additionally, the detailed scripting that you're required to recite to the customer before and after the calls (it's a call center environment) is extremely 'wordy' and awkward to have to fit it in with customers who can easily discern it's superficial value!!! It's just a vain attempt at trying to smooth over the frustration of what customers are already feeling!!!

I've worked in other call centers before, but I've never worked in an environment that is so controlling!!! Please pass on this one if you're looking for a decent job!!!

Lighten up!

Giant compahy

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at CVS Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

CVS Caremark is an enormous company, and one hand doesn't always know what the other is doing. There are lots of chances for advancement though, if you can find the right area.

Cons

There are two core businesses and leadership primarily only knows the retail side of it. If you work on the PBM side, expect lots of change and worry.

Listen to the people on the PBM side. They know what they are doing, but only if you don't stop downsizing them.

Lasted four weeks

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mesa, AZ

I worked at CVS Health part-time for less than a year

Pros

Close to home, part time work available

Cons

The store I worked in had one manager and one cashier for each shift. The manager is in other parts of the store doing their job or outside smoking, so I was the only person in the front. Did not feel safe at night. You are expected to greet every person who walks in the door, as well as stock, clean, print photos, face shelves, answer phone. Very difficult when you are stocking a shelf at the back of the store, to run up and greet a customer coming in. Training was not good. The "onboarding" day was a woman talking about the values of CVS, but she also talked a lot about her children, and how she was the girl in high school who got into fights in the restroom. Managers at the store were very impatient and sometimes rude if I asked for help with something I didn't know.

Hire more employees for each store!

It was a positive experience

Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager  in  Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Peoria, AZ

I worked at CVS Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good hours for work/life balance

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Great opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company, strong values, competitive industry.

Cons

Stretched thin, unsure of direction the department is headed.

Fast paced, client-focused, successful pharmacy benefits manager.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good energy level. Great track record of success. Smart, hard-working colleagues. Outstanding senior leadership team (visionary leaders and great communicators).

Cons

Maintaining work-life balance can be a challenge at busy times (fourth quarter & first quarter). Some risk to continued growth and excellent financial performance due to uncertainty RE economic outlook as well as pace and funding for health care reform.

Develop and communicate strategy to employees and clients to better position CVS Caremark PBM business vs. competition.

Worked for CVS Health? Contribute to the Community!