CVS Health Reviews

2.7
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,674 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

4,741 Employee Reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

I love my coworkers and my customers! I quickly got promoted from cashier to pharmacy tech to shift supervisor!

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Medina, OH
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Medina, OH

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly customers, easy promotional opportunities, always busy, store manager coworkers work well together, fun to see how much people can save

Cons

District and regional managers that have no experience on the floor, angry customers when in pharmacy, some (not all) couponers are hard to deal with if things don't go their way

Advice to Management

Get some individuals in the upper management whom have actually had experience in our shoes before they yell at us saying we are doing something wrong.

Shift Supervisor

Current Employee - CVS Pharmacy Shift Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CVS Pharmacy Shift Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyable environment to work in. You stay busy.

Cons

Sometimes co workers can be real vindictive. Watch your back & what you say to others. They should pay a lot more for management positions at CVS. You work your butt off from the time you clock in till the time you go home day in & day out. Your always on your feet. Don't get to sit down much ever.

Advice to Management

Sometimes co workers can be real vindictive. Watch your back & what you say to others. Other managers may try to lie about your performance at work and your habits at work to get try and get you terminated. The major cities are by far the most ruthless. Im sure smaller towns and suburbs are not that bad at all.

CVS

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Insurance and paid vacation, flexible with schedules

Cons

Pay is not worth it, lots of work to do with very little staff available to complete everything

Advice to Management

Allow more hours to be given out to employees

It's a job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The retirement benefits are pretty good. The employee stock purchase plan is really nice and they match 401k contributions up to 5% of your pay.

Cons

The insurance is not very good and the work load always increases while the number of hours alloted always decreases.

7. Great Culture, Exciting Responsibilities, Much Work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Very smart people: MBAs, former top-tier consultants. Great brand and company mission. Many career opportunities.

Cons

Work-life balance in leadership is weighted heavily with work.

Advice to Management

Work-Life balance must be emulated by leadership.

A lot of Work, Little Pay

I worked at CVS Health part-time

Pros

It taught me alot of skills such as setting up displays, fixing minor problems in the store and how to work an as a cashier.

Cons

Seemed as though I was working multiple jobs and only getting paid for one. One day I'd be a cashier, next day I'd be in the pharmacy, the next I'd be in the photo center.

9. Good

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Hope Mills, NC
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Hope Mills, NC

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

They worked very well with my Air Force reserve schedule. Gave me very detailed and needed training in order to complete my job.

Cons

Not having enough hours to give everyone or at many times we didn't have enough people to work because we weren't given good hours therefore could not fulfill good customer service

10. Good and bad

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

- Discounts on items
    - Good hours depending on location

Cons

- New management constantly
    - No online scheduling

11. CVS Pharmacist

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Great company with long-term vision

Cons

Salary not as high as some grocery stores

Showing 4,741 of 4,849 reviews