CVS Health Reviews

2.7
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,776 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

5,024 Employee Reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

2. Pharmacy Technician

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I worked at CVS Health part-time

Pros

Constant movement and never a moment of boredom or nothingness. Scheduling was flexible, especially for students, and work environment was professional.

Cons

Low pay for the amount of work you have to do. Customer service is extremely challenge since it is pharmaceutical retail.

Advice to Management

Smile

3. cashier

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Great place to work. Flexible schedule and amazing upper management.

Cons

Working holiday and weekends mostly.

5. Want to be a CVS Store Manager?

Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary and bonus potential

Cons

No payroll - prepare to work many many hours

Advice to Management

Fill your stores with employees

6. clinical pharmacist

I worked at CVS Health full-time

Pros

good pay and benefit i liked the type of job i was in

Cons

typical coroprate lifestyle lot of politics and drama, no potential to grow

7. it was bittersweet

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at CVS Health (Less than a year)

Pros

the job was easy. the training was pretty straight forward and computer systems were easy to learn

Cons

they had a few supervisors who abused authority, and when you ask for a mediation after wrongful disciplinary actions against you they never granted them.

Advice to Management

if more than one person is complaining about the same thing, 9 times out of ten they are all not wrong. give fair chances

8. Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

good benefit package and nice co-workers

Cons

unfair expectations and too concerned about the metrics over quality of care.

9. Nothing special, but could be bettter

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Decent pay, close to home

Cons

Long hours, poorly trained techs, unmotivated workers, messy workspace, and poor software

Advice to Management

train staff better, establish and enforce responsibilities, and improve prescription processing software

10. Pharmacy Technician-harder than I expected

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Huntersville, NC

I worked at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun times, learned lots of medical terms and was able to give advice to friends and family

Cons

Overall a lot harder than I expected. They refused to make me full time even after I'd been there two years and a position had opened up. Lots of rules and red tape.

Advice to Management

Don't promote one person over another just because the first person has baby. It's not classy.

11. Your experience completely depends on your team members.

Former Employee - Photo Technician in Rocky Point, NY
    Former Employee - Photo Technician in Rocky Point, NY

I worked at CVS Health full-time

Pros

I was lucky enough to work in a store where I liked most of my coworkers. Most people were young so it was easy to relate to each other, but we'd all make up nicknames for customers and had fun a lot of the time. It's a good job if you just need some extra cash while in school or want to start getting experience in retail. If you perform well, it's fairly easy to ask to be put on full time, and train in other areas like the photo department if you'd like. There have been instances of people working in the front, then moving to pharmacy and vice versa.

Cons

Its retail, so closing hours sucked and they made you feel guilty if you need to call out from illness or have to change your schedule. There was one time the manager thought I was faking sick while at work until I actually puked, so. The pay is too low for the workload, and they make it impossible to have a second job. Depending on where you are, your hours, title, etc it's very hard to support yourself and your family if you have one. Also at my store, the manager made us clean the bathroom which was bull. I didn't sign on to be a janitor, so that was an instance of them taking complete advantage of us. Also disgustingly rude customers sometimes, people trying to steal/scam, but I guess that's to be expected.

Advice to Management

Gove associates and shift supervisors more power when it comes to theft. Listen to the people who actually have to run the stores instead of giving orders while you get to work from home 3 days a week.

Showing 5,024 of 5,136 reviews