CVS Health Reviews

4,253 Reviews
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,538 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

2. Overnight Pharmacy/Shift Supervisor

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay for work required and some employees are good coworkers.

Cons

Recent trend in cutting payroll hours creates stress among employees and senior management is largely unresponsive to suggestions from lower-level employees.

Advice to Management

Become more in tune with the hourly management/employees in your own stores - they often have much to offer in terms of catering to the needs of local clientele. Also, they need to eliminate frivolous work activities especially when they are cutting payroll hours - this is creating an enormous amount of stress on the store-level employees.

3. Pharmacy Manager

Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Worcester, MA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

$$$ and opportunity for advancement. No matter what people say CVS does a good job making pharmacy a lucrative career.

Cons

Do more with less. Very difficult to achieve targets within the allowable payroll budget

Advice to Management

Use Focus groups to fix frequent computer glitches and time wasters

5. CVS Pharmacy

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work experience
    Innovative computer programs/systems

Cons

Invest more in quality assurance and customer service training for all employees to better serve the public

6. Picker

Former Employee - Picker in Somerset, PA
    Former Employee - Picker in Somerset, PA

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours and the paid lunch break for 25 minutes.

Cons

Physical working conditions and didn't know when you have to work overtime.

7. Was a disappointment

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Newport News, VA

I have been working at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, friendly environment, awesome vision inusrance

Cons

Short staffed, strict budgets, low pay, no real growth

8. Merchandising

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaries are very competitive. The company takes itself seriously as a pharmacy innovation leader and there is interesting work being done. Healthy meals offered on campus and a MinuteClinic on site really feels like there's a focus on health, which I appreciate. I work "normal" hours and have rarely felt pressured to work long hours. Town Halls held quarterly are a great way to stay updated on the state of the business. I really care for the success of CVS Health!

Cons

Little data analysis goes into making business decisions worth millions of dollars. It's surprising what passes for data here. There's also very little thought given to developing talent from the bottom up -- external candidates are considered before they promote an internal candidate based on potential. The concept of rising to the challenge and "on the job learning" is not a thing here -- if you haven't done the job before, odds are you won't be considered for it. Management is adapting extremely slowly to Millennials' needs and they will pass on talented people if they don't adapt. Work from home is an underground arrangement with supervisor and shouldn't be counted on. Timelines are incredibly long and projects are often killed on the vine. It will take you literally weeks just to get the face time with senior management required to make a decision, and every decision needs to be made/vetted by sr. leadership. Depending on where you are in your career, you will either grow very quickly, or feel stagnant. Would not recommend Merchandising for anyone with under 5 years of work experience under their belt.

Advice to Management

Focus on growing talent internally instead of hiring externally for every new role. You have done such a great job attracting top talent from all over the country, and you spend so much money to have us here, but you forget that we're driven and overachievers and want a challenge. Build us up to the challenge, believe that we can do the job and support us through it, and we will be loyal colleagues. We need to see growth opportunities within the department, especially at lower levels.

9. Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Salary, Timings, Work From Home options

Cons

Overtime working, weekend support, Over allocated

10. Job requires alot of testing.

Current Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Midlothian, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Midlothian, VA

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphier, friendly customers & clean store.

Cons

Pay rate is horrible, and you have to stare at the clock to time in & out, can't be a minute "early" or late & late is not the problem.

Advice to Management

Wages drive insentive to work hard, employee motivation and loyalty.

11. It's all about the metrics.

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Tech (Experienced)
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Tech (Experienced)

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's close to my home. My co workers are great both the front store and in the the pharmacy. The pharmacy techs all get along and we work well together. Most pharmacist appreciate the techs and treat us with respect. Some of the regular customers are fun to chat with. It's nice the store is only 3 years old so it's clean. Get full time with benefits at 30 hours including holiday pay, vaca, insurance and store discount is decent.

Cons

The constant standing and needy customers burn you out fast. The pharmacist drop like flies, because they're expected to work extra with no OT. Been an employee for 18 months snd haven't had a raise. Human resource system is the worse. It's a typical stock holder company and the little guy makes the money for the big guy.

Advice to Management

Over lap pharmacist and update the ratio for technician demand. We don't just fill RX's we do much much more, and if CVS want customers to believe it's all about their health then give us the staff needed to ensure the consumer get the proper service.