CVS Health Reviews

2.7
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,642 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

4,709 Employee Reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

Shift Supervisor

Current Employee - CVS Pharmacy Shift Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CVS Pharmacy Shift Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyable environment to work in. You stay busy.

Cons

Sometimes co workers can be real vindictive. Watch your back & what you say to others. They should pay a lot more for management positions at CVS. You work your butt off from the time you clock in till the time you go home day in & day out. Your always on your feet. Don't get to sit down much ever.

Advice to Management

Sometimes co workers can be real vindictive. Watch your back & what you say to others. Other managers may try to lie about your performance at work and your habits at work to get try and get you terminated. The major cities are by far the most ruthless. Im sure smaller towns and suburbs are not that bad at all.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at CVS Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is never boring and there is always something to do.

Cons

There are no additional hours for anything. You need to hire another cashier? You have to come in on your day off or work an open to close.

So far so good......

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Many options to move up.
    Decent starting salary.
    Non-discriminatory.

Cons

Location is eh......
    Recruiters are horrible.
    Questionable upper management.
    Non-qualified managers

Advice to Management

Lighten up.

Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at CVS Health part-time

Pros

Learn about drugs and what they are for. Be able to help out patients that really need help.

Cons

The pay is too low and you have to be there 6 hours in order to get a break. The customers are very nasty at times. High stress.

Advice to Management

Keep a proper amount of technicians on each shift so that we are available for every patient and able to help them.

7. Need to see the Minute Clinic

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Spring, TX

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Want to stop smoking...Free to employees.Feeling Sick......Free to employees. Need RX......with 90 day supply....most free to employees

Cons

They work you VERY hard and never have enough staff for the tons of work load.

Advice to Management

hire more staff and make sure everyone gets 40 hours, increase pay, Promote within to hard workers

Not a good company to build with

I have been working at CVS Health part-time

Pros

If you did just a few hours a week to help you while you attend college then this might be your fit

Cons

Prepare to be overworked unappreciated, you will most likely have a hard time moving up by work ethic alone you need to make be likable (which is usually how it is anywhere) Have to do jobs above pay grade.3-5 employees do the work of 15

Advice to Management

Management needs to manage time efficiently also need to divide the work evenly between employees show respect and give credit when a job is done. Manager or Supervisors conveniently leave out the people below them when asked how a task was accomplished

9. CVS opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I worked at CVS for 5 years as a Hallmark card specialist. I floated between 4 different locations. Overall I found working for CVS comfortable and found other opportunities within the various locations. Overtime I maintained the cosmetic sections and did other projects to earn additional hours and pay. The part-time benefits are good.

Cons

Working at 4 different locations made it apparent that the manager make a huge difference on how the store is run. The good managers kept their employees and moral was good. The opposite occurred with a manager who was lazy or not engaged with his store.

10. store manager

Current Employee - Shift A Assistant Manager in Helena, MT
    Current Employee - Shift A Assistant Manager in Helena, MT

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

an awesome company to work for

Cons

not enough co workers to get the job done

Tech Trainee

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician Trainee in Brockton, MA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician Trainee in Brockton, MA

I worked at CVS Health (Less than a year)

Pros

learning about drugs in the pharmacy and interacting with nice customers

Cons

pharmacists are rude and look down on you even though your helping run the show

Showing 4,709 of 4,817 reviews