CVS Health Reviews

2.7
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,873 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

5,289 Employee Reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

Staff became friends quickly

I worked at CVS Health part-time

Pros

The staff you're working with is friendly, helpful and patient as you learn how to work there. Training was pretty good as well. For starting pay it was great, and I was told there was fast advancement opportunities.

Cons

It can be difficult to be patient with customers at times, and sometimes you would hear rumors about other staff members talking behind your back about a mistake you made.

Advice to Management

To your face and in their words the management is great, very patient and kind - but eventually you feel as though there's a little passive-agressive behavior going on.

Not hard job but stressful at times due to payroll cuts during seasonal transitions

Current Employee - Store Manager in Gulfport, MS
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Gulfport, MS

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, job is not hard at all. It is easy to maintain the corner stones of a CVS store once store manager has mastered everything.

Cons

Not enough payroll to run a good store. I normally work 6 days a week to get all of the projects completed. Everything wouldn't get completed on time if I didn't work 6 days a week. Payroll is calculated by your myschedule Demand regardless of sales volume of your store.

Advice to Management

Can't go by myschedule demand for payroll. A lot of projects have to be completed throughout each and every week. Need more payroll for seasonal transitions especially sept thru January. Pay store managers more money if they are required to work 6 days a week!!!Impossible to get all of the projects completed on time working 5 days a week. Targets for mycustomer experience and CFR need to be realistic and not driven by what a computer says or a report says. we are all human and we do have do lives outside of CVS.

manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

as good as any retailer

Cons

as bad as any retailer in terms of cost and customer metrics controlling

no thanks

Pros

simple system, good pay and benefits

Cons

not enough staff and staff is inexperienced. management wants you to complete more tasks then can be done in the time allotted. Company doesn't trust it's own employees. Cares more about the bottom line then anything.

Okay Experience

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Great Hours and great corporate benifits

Cons

Some unfavorable coworkers who were threatened my recent college grads.

Not bad.

Former Employee - Cashier in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Providence, RI

Pros

Health benefits are decent. Management really professional on the East Coast. Employees were great to work with.

Cons

Like any retail job, a lot of the customers are rude, very rude. The people that hardcore coupon at CVS are a nightmare to deal with. Also, the pay. There is no reason why we can't be making a little extra when the stores are always so heavily understaffed.

Advice to Management

A well paid employee is a happy employee. A happy employee makes happy customers. Happy customers return. In turn, CVS makes more money...

9. People that care

Former Employee - Call Center Specialty Pharmacy Supervisor in Phillipsburg, NJ
    Former Employee - Call Center Specialty Pharmacy Supervisor in Phillipsburg, NJ

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People, Customer Focused-First Call Resolution.

Cons

Everything was great, no cons to report

10. Consultant

Former Employee - Phone Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Phone Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at CVS Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexiable, good pay,incentives, fun, onsite cafe

Cons

no stucture, no follow up, onsided, favorites,

11. Pharmacy Technician

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in New Lenox, IL
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in New Lenox, IL

I worked at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helped many patients. Enjoyed working with pleasant clients and pharmacists. Overall good work environment.

Cons

Compensation and benefits were at a minimum for part time employees, and was difficult to move up in positions due to people being there for quite a while.

Showing 5,289 of 5,406 reviews