CVS Health

3,471 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,285 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

Uncomfortable work environment

Former Employee - Care Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Care Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at CVS Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

they provided really comprehensive and structured training. employees were willing to help you out if you had any questions.

Cons

Our work space was a small room with no windows, was always too hot or too cold. Also, no rewards for good performance

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

PHARMACY TECHNICIAN

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fast pace, never a dull moments, keeps you going all day

Cons

sometimes goals are unrealistic,

get to know the community where the store is located to set goals and maybe then it will be understood why sometimes the goals are not met

CVS is still growing sales and profits based on the inertia of past success and by exploiting their best people

Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in South Kingstown, RI
    Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in South Kingstown, RI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CVS has the assets, locations, and market presence to leverage the human resource potential they possess and have
    access to, to create even greater current and future growth, profitability, and shareholder value. The company still has access to a large number of front line managers and associates that still retain the corporate "memory" needed to bring CVS to the next level of success. At the top of the company are a number of "visionaries" who see that the paradigm of success for the Pharmacy Retailer/Pharmacy Benefits Manager is constantly changing and has shown creativity in anticipating and capitalizing on that change.

Cons

The fuel that fired CVS's past growth was a favorable health/prescription insurance model and a cadre of seasoned front line managers and supervision who took the CVS brand nationwide. While evolving, enhancing, and creating customer loyalty to that "Brand" by acting as "merchants" and capitalizing on the unique aspects of their local marketing area. Tip O'Neil said "all politics is local" and any retailer with enduring success knows that while strong Branding must be national (even global) in scope "all retail success is local".

Well the world has changed. The government/private health/prescription model has and will continue to change to achieve the parallel goals of cost containment and the movement toward universal coverage. This will put massive pressures on the Rx revenues and profits of CVS. In the recent past (the last 8 to 10 years) CVS has done what most American companies are doing. They have cut costs, identified and implemented effeciencies, and streamlined operations to relieve the pressures on profits and the creation of share holder value. They have worked hard to enhance the "Brand" by adding new product lines and services in the retail Pharmacies and the Stores. They have however sacrificed their greatest "human resource" assets in the front lines to "cost containment". The most capable people that have the most to offer CVS to drive sales and gross profit are devoting almost all their time to doing the work of associates they can no longer afford to schedule and still meet financial goals.In the noble effort to control the huge organization that CVS has become has created a blizzard of policies, procedures, and rules that monopolize the rest of the time of front line management has available to them (so they can stay in compliance).

A top to bottom re-engineering of all processes that puts an emphasis on keeping high value added tasks and de-emphasizes or eliminates those that do not directly create customer value. Make a public and systemic commitment to investing resources into front line payroll ( ie. higher pays and more lucrative bonus schemes for experienced managers and lead pharmacists., greater compensation for experienced associates and pharmacy techs, and an increase in payroll hours to service customers, to undertake "merchandise-for-profit" tasking, and properly maintain store conditions.)

Good company, great full time benefits

Current Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

So far, everyone I have worked with have been great and even with a new store manager, things run relatively smooth. Not too many complaints other than employees aren't always utilized the way they should be.

Cons

Stores typically have their hours cut back so it tends to feel like employees are being overworked.

Pharm Tech

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a fast paced environment where I learned a lot about medications, insurance, and dealing with patients. Training was pretty decent and I enjoyed the rush of always being busy. All useful since I'm applying to physician assistant programs. My store was extremely flexible about working around my school schedule and me going home for breaks (I'm a college student).

Cons

This is an extremely stressful company. They cut hours all the time and understaff pharmacies while still expecting top-notch customer service and an extremely high output. They also require unpaid online coursework and continuing education. I come home every shift exhausted and feeling like I disappointed my customers, about whom I actually care.

GIVE PHARMACIES MORE TECH HOURS. That would solve soo many problems. Two techs cannot handle the demands of answering phones, intake of prescriptions, working both the store registers and the drive thru, filling prescriptions, and handling inventory. It's just not possible. CVS surely has the money for extra hours -- employees would work better if not so stressed, customers would be more satisfied because they would have higher quality care and their prescriptions would be ready on time, and pharmacies would run smoother. Instead of punishing stores that close their drive-thru because they cannot handle the workload, give them more tech hours to help handle the workload!! It's not that hard.

Overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very fast paced with a lot to learn, it's a great alternative to the typically dull retail environment. You'll quickly become part of a pseudo-family of pharmacists/technicians.

Cons

Constantly expected to prioritize selling as many scripts as quickly as possible (via corporate sales metrics) above all else. You're expected to do more with less hours/manpower, which is budgeted based on sales per week. It can quickly become a very stressful and frustrating work environment.

Listen to your pharmacists/techs, metrics only make it harder to keep patients and employees happy. Seasoned technicians deserve compensation appropriate for the skills they possess. Healthcare first, sales second.

Certified Pharmacy Technician

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with some great people.

Cons

The pay was low. 8.75 for a CPht

none

Ton of work,tiring

Current Employee - Order Selector Cosmetics in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Order Selector Cosmetics in Conroe, TX

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good money, order selecting was so easy

Cons

Long hours, never know when you get off, poor management, group leaders are rude for no reason,

Make sure everyone is equally treated and group leaders don't take advantage of their position.
    Also, when someone has to call their ride ahead of time because they're never told a time when they get off, LET THEM

Hard work, no help and very high expectations

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

It's a job and cvs isn't going anywhere

Cons

Very low man hours to work with, they force a ton of product on the stores and no training hours for new employees

None that would matter