CVS Health Reviews

2.7
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,746 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

5,006 Employee Reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

2. Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for advancement, great training friendly people. The district Manager is very encouraging and the hiring process was easy.

Cons

The only thing I do not like is that there were other stores hiring for the same position closer to my home but they gave me one that was 45 min away.

3. CVS

I worked at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Great place to work for!

Cons

long commute time, worst on Mondays.

5. Your experience completely depends on your team members.

Former Employee - Photo Technician in Rocky Point, NY
    Former Employee - Photo Technician in Rocky Point, NY

I worked at CVS Health full-time

Pros

I was lucky enough to work in a store where I liked most of my coworkers. Most people were young so it was easy to relate to each other, but we'd all make up nicknames for customers and had fun a lot of the time. It's a good job if you just need some extra cash while in school or want to start getting experience in retail. If you perform well, it's fairly easy to ask to be put on full time, and train in other areas like the photo department if you'd like. There have been instances of people working in the front, then moving to pharmacy and vice versa.

Cons

Its retail, so closing hours sucked and they made you feel guilty if you need to call out from illness or have to change your schedule. There was one time the manager thought I was faking sick while at work until I actually puked, so. The pay is too low for the workload, and they make it impossible to have a second job. Depending on where you are, your hours, title, etc it's very hard to support yourself and your family if you have one. Also at my store, the manager made us clean the bathroom which was bull. I didn't sign on to be a janitor, so that was an instance of them taking complete advantage of us. Also disgustingly rude customers sometimes, people trying to steal/scam, but I guess that's to be expected.

Advice to Management

Gove associates and shift supervisors more power when it comes to theft. Listen to the people who actually have to run the stores instead of giving orders while you get to work from home 3 days a week.

6. Clerk/Cashier

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Many opportunities to move up.

Cons

- Unfairly paid, everyone gets the same paid and raise, no matter you work hard or not.

7. Great customers, the staff at my store get along really well.

Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Springfield, MO

I have been working at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Varying levels of work daily. You can move up pretty quickly if you have the desire and a flexible schedule.

Cons

Some days, there is allot to get done. It's usually one cashier and one shortcut on duty. Sometimes, it's just not enough.

Advice to Management

Things at my store are good. I feel appreciated.

8. Shift Supervisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They offer a great career ladder in house, You can reach out to your store manager and let them know you want a higher position and you can do so (of course there needs to be certain months of experience first). Huge benefit because you can fast track your title.

Cons

For cashiers it's minimum wage and unfortunately your raises are not substantially greater. I suggest working for Corporate for CVS and not actually in store. Retail can be very stressful and many store managers are under qualified for maintaining a clean, organized store.

Advice to Management

Although the fast track career ladder is appealing, CVS should demand higher qualifications and standards of store managers.

9. Pros/Cons

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

good job security long term

Cons

low pay scale with low increases.

10. Cashier

I have been working at CVS Health part-time

Pros

It has a lot of regular customers.

Cons

Not enough hours for myself.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees they are trying their best.

11. Waiting Game

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you have the potential to grow in the company. Pay is good if you know how to negotiate. Employee discounts are extremely good compared to other stores.

Cons

-Wait and see game to move up in the company, either have to wait for someone to die or quit in order to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Try to to promote or create program that gets employee moving up faster and reward those who want to climb the ladder.

Showing 5,006 of 5,119 reviews