CVS Health Reviews

2.7
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,857 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

5,272 Employee Reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

2. Good Company

I worked at CVS Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, co-workers are nice

Cons

They need a better training program, give more hours and pay better.

Not hard job but stressful at times due to payroll cuts during seasonal transitions

Current Employee - Store Manager in Gulfport, MS
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Gulfport, MS

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, job is not hard at all. It is easy to maintain the corner stones of a CVS store once store manager has mastered everything.

Cons

Not enough payroll to run a good store. I normally work 6 days a week to get all of the projects completed. Everything wouldn't get completed on time if I didn't work 6 days a week. Payroll is calculated by your myschedule Demand regardless of sales volume of your store.

Advice to Management

Can't go by myschedule demand for payroll. A lot of projects have to be completed throughout each and every week. Need more payroll for seasonal transitions especially sept thru January. Pay store managers more money if they are required to work 6 days a week!!!Impossible to get all of the projects completed on time working 5 days a week. Targets for mycustomer experience and CFR need to be realistic and not driven by what a computer says or a report says. we are all human and we do have do lives outside of CVS.

5. Good company bad stores?

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

-Good company to work for -room for advancement -not extremely strict as far as cashiering (depending on store) -no point system

Cons

-it's retail -At store level, not enough hours are allotted to the store for the amount of work needed to be done

Advice to Management

Work diligently and hopefully other members of management will notice and you'll be able to advance quicker than those that settle or do the bare minimum.

6. Pharmacy technician

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has a wide range of medicine that you will come across and issues from insurance companies that will advance your learning experience as a pharmacy tech.

Cons

The work drains you mentally and at times it can be difficulty dealing with insurance rejection when submitting claim and impolite customer.

Advice to Management

Hire technician with good work ethics and enjoy serving individuals in need.

In charge of overall operations of store.

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Good pay and good benifits. Flexible schedule and plenty of room for promotion. Professional atmosphere and new stores opening all the time.

Cons

The company has high expectations but gives us very little payroll resulting in a highly stressful work environment. Manager expected to pick up all the extra work and it's quite a bit.

Shift A

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Flexible shifts for all three types in 24 hour store.

Cons

If you're a 24 hour store beware of the theft and getting robbed.

Advice to Management

Come up with a better system other than letting your workers get held up, counting the money to see what was stolen and opening back up like nothing happened. Like maybe a security guard with a gun.

9. Store manager

Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Advancement potential, fun environment, progressive company, job security within the industry, great benefits, new interesting programs to keep you engaged.

Cons

Long hours and days with no end in sight. Unable to manage the needs of the business to personal and private life. Hour constraints too rigid to maintain a service environment and operations.

Advice to Management

Realize that the company is more powerful and better off if the managers are given the hours that they need to maintain the business and operate within the four walls. Cigarettes caused a huge issue inside the corporation and failure to balance the needs of the business after their departure is one of cvs health's major flaws.

no thanks

Pros

simple system, good pay and benefits

Cons

not enough staff and staff is inexperienced. management wants you to complete more tasks then can be done in the time allotted. Company doesn't trust it's own employees. Cares more about the bottom line then anything.

11. OK

Pros

Some companies have better starting salaries

Cons

Not patient oriented, all about the $$$

Showing 5,272 of 5,390 reviews