CVS Health Reviews

3,196 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,177 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 104 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 61 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 162 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast paced job, with lots of tasks to accomplish

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment, very flexible with scheduling, good training program.

Cons

Lots of paper work that get in your way of being able to spend quality time on the sales floor. You work with very small teams for your shift, usually just you and a cashier.

Working for CVS pharmacy.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CVS is really great for the community. They always have the best interest of people in mind. They always attempt to raise funds for many great charities like ALS

Cons

CVS recently discontinued selling tobacco products which actually is one of their pros, but they continue to sell alcohol products claiming that there are health benefits. To a certain point I agree that there are some benefits to drinking red wine for example, but I think there more harmful effects of alcoholic beverages than good. There employee expectations are way too high. They expect one person to do the same amount of work as two or three people in other places where I have worked. Employees are In such a hurry to get things done that quality work has gone down the drain. Customer service is also hurt by the lack of help.

Increase the available hours for employee hours in the store. This will increase production and more employees on the sales floor will improve customer service. Happy customers will increase sales.

Store Manager in resignation

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stability and Generally it is not as hard as complexed as other retail operations. You are Store Manager but you are mainly in charge of Grocery and HBC which is 20% business and you act as support and secretary with the stuff they need.

Cons

You are manager on paper unless you are in 24 hour store with bigger payroll. If you are not you will likely have one cashier and yourself in the building plus RX stuff. Which means you will have to do everything by yourself, including planograms, cleaning, facing up, dealing with all kind of issues, taking out trash, banking, deposits and all financials, build displays and so on. There is very little delegation.
    If you are not of RX background, Store Manager is probably as far that you can go up.

Put more hours in the store, especially that you are making a lot of money.

As a high school/college job, it was great for me.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working as a shift supervisor was a decent job to get me through college. The hours were flexible to work around my schedule. If you have a decent manager, the training is great and you won't be thrown into something you aren't ready for.

Cons

Sometimes you may have more to do then possible because the hours are often few and far between so sometimes the crew is shorthanded. The pay is usually minimum wage, and the promotions and raises are once yearly. I can't imagine working there for life, but it was a good first job!

The store needs to have enough hours to run it! You can't imagine that we can get the amount of stuff done with the amount of time given.

I have learned a lot of useful skills but it is very fustrating and under staffed.

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Flexible schedule, employee discount

Cons

Stressful and never really trained properly

We are not all capable of doing it all. No more pcq calls and better communication among employees.

Not bad only if you can handle it

Former Employee - Pharmacist
    Former Employee - Pharmacist

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay and benefit, big company

Cons

Numbers driven guilt culture very defeating

Great Opportunities and Stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The mail order is basically an office job. There's a cafe on site, which is very budget-friendly. Lots of departments have a casual dress code, since there aren't any in-person customers. There's benefits like 401k, quarterly bonuses (based on performance), and tuition assistance which helped me pay for school, plus my supervisor accomodated my school schedule. And there's lots of overtime opportunities, pretty much every week, to make some extra money. There's a lot of diverse people working at the mail order which is cool. Also, there's a lot of career growth potential; lots of lateral and promotional options if you want to move up or don't like what you are doing. Very stable company.

Cons

Pay might not be as competitive as it should be for the market.

Evaluate competitive pay rates. Invest in your people finacially, and they will feel valued and are less likely to get lured away by another pharmacy.

Overall good experience

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture and other management in the store really make coming to work easy. Most customers are easy to deal with (depending on your store) there's usually a couple each day that try to test your patience, but that's anywhere you work anymore. The company will always be growing and has plenty of places to grow into. There's usually a challenge on each shift to keep it interesting and not get boring. (Time management piece, something wasn't done from a prior shift, something broke, customer service issue, etc.)

Cons

Some customers make you believe that it's not worth it, but then afterwards you get over it and move on to the next challenge. CVS could loosen the reigns on some financial aspects of managing a store. (Such as ordering store supplies, etc.) Payroll always seems to be an issue. When we have overlap it's amazing and we get so much done. When that doesn't happen, especially if you're in a busy store, it leaves less to be desired and a heavy workload. Although take the good with the bad, CVS is always looking for ways to make less time consuming work on their associates and managers, and they listen to their managers and try to implement new programs and procedures.

Give your stores back payroll they once had and those customer service scores that are a huge company focus will get even better. Not to mention stores will be able to get more of the workload completed and have time to manage the store in other ways towards compliance, etc. Training could be a little better for hourly management, but it's not too bad compared to the industry average. Otherwise, CVS is doing a great job and will continue to be a leading drug store company with past and future success.

It's ok.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I'm not sure anymore

Cons

If your management they will move you wherever they want with little notice to you.

Nothing.

Potential compensation is excellent.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In a business that is always needed. Pay is great and bonuses are even better. Lots of room for those that want to advance.

Cons

There are long work hours and work weeks. Always under a lot of pressure to get work done with minimal hours and minimal staff.

Make sure those that are in the trenches are given the time, money, resources and help to get the job done.