CVS Health Reviews

4,176 Reviews
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,521 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

2. Cashier

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in, wide array of duties to keep you busy throughout the day.

Cons

Hours have been getting cut as of late due to the money lost quitting the sale of cigs.

Advice to Management

Keep all workers trained in all duties so flow of the job can go much smoother for all.

3. Good job. Low man on totem pole.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Stability, Higher RPh Pay than competitors, My management team was fantastic.

Cons

Unpaid meetings (how is this legal?), Long Shifts, Typical big corporate issues.

Advice to Management

Stop these micromanagement Patient Care Programs. You have no idea how stressful a component it is to an already stressful job.

5. Resource Planning Coordinator

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Nice place to work. It has good benefits and people tend to be laid back.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that to have their health insurance you have to take a heath assessment.

6. Very stressful, fast paced job

Current Employee - Pharmacist Technician in Talladega, AL
    Current Employee - Pharmacist Technician in Talladega, AL

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training is simple. The scheduling is pretty flexible. Works around your school or personal schedule. Overall a decent company.

Cons

The pay isn't good. Pharmacists can get real stressed and rude to the employees. They micro manage at times which can get stressful.

Advice to Management

Too much work for too little pay. Increase pay.

7. Manage and oversee daily and monthly operations in all areas if the business

Current Employee - Store Manager in Ellisville, MO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Ellisville, MO

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, upper management uses store management ideas, involved in community organizations, training is always thorough and needed for ever changing business retail.

Cons

Work life balance is miserable, way to many hours needed to run a store that will bonus aka free labor from salaried positions.

Advice to Management

Loosen up on hours just a little so store managers aren't working 60-70 hours a week

8. Amazing!

Former Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, great coworkers, great experience, learning always

Cons

only two people on shift

Advice to Management

more hours to the stores would help, more staff on shift

9. Great Experiences/Learning Enviornment

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician Trainee in Broken Arrow, OK
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician Trainee in Broken Arrow, OK

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As soon as I was hired I was immediately taught the ropes. All my managers were dedicated to helping me and the pharmacist was always available to answer my questions.

Cons

Its taken awhile for me to get a solid schedule. They just text/call me when I need to work

Advice to Management

Better scheduling management

Pharmacy Tech

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Payed Pharmacy tech training, friendly employees.

Cons

Low wages, minimal hours, bi-weekly pay

Advice to Management

Increase hours or increase pay.

11. cramming

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, good retail experience, good family feels. opens doors to more opportunities. good internship programs as well.

Cons

too much cramming of hours, i feel like a robot sometimes. the stress levels are a bit much. should be paid even more in my opinion

Advice to Management

work with your employers more. talk with them. notice them. appreciate them. offer customers their input. offer suggestion in the time being