CVS Health

3,804 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,406 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

Shift Supervisor

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Nice people to work with.
    Job wasn't too difficult.
    I thought the pay was fair.

Cons

I don't think they gave enough training before leaving you alone as a shift manager.

Satisfying job

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

working with a very large team helped me advance my skills. Management style allowed me to be autonomous and self directed.

Cons

there was very little opportunity to develop relationships with team members. all business and no personality made the work strained and tense.

find ways to bring the teams together. having weekly conference calls just to discuss what we are working on would do wonders.

Great company with fantastic growth opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Director in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Unlimited resources to achieve a desired result

Cons

Large org grown by aquisition making it challenging to navigate at times.

Recognize colleagues even more than we currently do

Best company to shop. Worst company to work

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

I know most people look for discount when working for retail stores but CVS can change that. Sure discounts are important but if you are a people person, you'll find more joy in helping others that in getting a discount. Of course such discovery is relative... I'm what normal people call "financially stable". My parents were successful millionaires and I'man only child.... so me working was only about helping people.

Cons

If you want to progess in the company, skip your direct manager and go straight to the DM... Trust me.

DMs need to stop trusting their store managers because every single store managers is in it for themselves.

Very great work enviornment

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Very positive work environment

Competent, knowledgable staff

Passionate about delivering their services

Cons

Don't adapt well to changing technologies

In order to expand your company, you have to be able to keep up with new technologies

Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

The employees were very nice, I always got along with them.

Cons

For all the work we did, the pay should be better

need way more tech, so many customers

Cvs review

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Buffalo, MN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Buffalo, MN

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Benefits, friendly, good training great manage to

Cons

Not enough people working at a time

Love my management team

Great company to work for, very supportive staff

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Toledo, OH

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

The atmosphere is very friendly and comfortable. Yu can easily get to know all workers in the building. Great advancement opportunity due to expanding.

Cons

Low pay for some areas.

Show employees at least one new thing every week. this keeps them engaged and interested in the company.

Time for a Change

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Close to home. Good rewards program.

Cons

Staffing, advancement, work life balace

Refocus business strategy to support retail store environment by investing in human capital as a way to improve customer satisfaction.