CVS Health Reviews

2.7
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,747 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

4,991 Employee Reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

2. Great customers, the staff at my store get along really well.

Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Springfield, MO

I have been working at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Varying levels of work daily. You can move up pretty quickly if you have the desire and a flexible schedule.

Cons

Some days, there is allot to get done. It's usually one cashier and one shortcut on duty. Sometimes, it's just not enough.

Advice to Management

Things at my store are good. I feel appreciated.

3. Waiting Game

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you have the potential to grow in the company. Pay is good if you know how to negotiate. Employee discounts are extremely good compared to other stores.

Cons

-Wait and see game to move up in the company, either have to wait for someone to die or quit in order to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Try to to promote or create program that gets employee moving up faster and reward those who want to climb the ladder.

5. Good company

Current Employee - Java Developer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at CVS Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours. Good salary being in Rhode Island.

Cons

Not too friendly people. People just sit in cafe doing nothing but talk!! I sometimes feel that it doesn't work in favor of the company.

6. Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

discounts and making friends and store is close to home

Cons

not enough hours rude customers

7. Pros/Cons

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

good job security long term

Cons

low pay scale with low increases.

8. Cashier

I have been working at CVS Health part-time

Pros

It has a lot of regular customers.

Cons

Not enough hours for myself.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees they are trying their best.

9. Clerk

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

good work life balance shows

Cons

i am really just trying to see other stuff on this website

10. Clerk/Cashier

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

The culture is phenomenal. They are always looking out for your best interest, usually. They're also very flexible with your schedule, as long as you let them know in advance. They constantly offer training and help in your field.

Cons

When they hire you, they usually will start you as a clerk/cashier regardless of what you applied for. They then will assign you to where the want you, even if that's not what covers your title.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that management should understand that your dailey duities shoild be relected by your position title. For example, I applied as a Beauty Advisor to gain retail experience in Cosmetics. I am currently labeled as a Cashier, but all I do is stock and push makeup! Though, that won't be seen on my resume.

11. Basically Customer Service Job

Current Employee - Cvs Pharmacy Tech in Glen Rock, NJ
    Current Employee - Cvs Pharmacy Tech in Glen Rock, NJ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Introduction to FDA regulations, HIPAA regulations, Pharmacology, Toxicology, great job for undergraduates in a life sciences field.

Cons

Customers..... some management tactics/ideas, breaks are not long enough.

Advice to Management

I understand this is a "Big Business Corporation", but at it's core it is a pharmacy. There were times when "customers" were being out of control over higher class drugs and the prescription was simply just filled to avoid conflict or a bad review... Dealing with shady characters like this make you question whether all the training is for nothing just so for a good review when in reality we could be potentially dealing with a drug addict.

Showing 4,991 of 5,103 reviews