CVS Health Reviews

3,190 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,172 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 104 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 61 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 162 reviews)

More Highlights

Its deffinitely an experience.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in New York, NY

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

-The stores are all very clean & maintenance is kept up to date.
    -You meet & work with many great people in the store, and end up becoming a small family.
    -You receieve a pretty good employee discount (on non-sale items). 20% for regular merchandise, 30% for CVS Brand merchandise.
    -If you kiss ass or know someone high up, you can be promoted pretty easily. But if not, expect to be at the same position for a long time.
    -The Employee uniform was recently updated from an old/ugly 'robin eggs blue' shirt, to a navy blue polo with red accents.
    -There's a store basically in every town, so there is a very good chance you will not have to travel far to get to work.

Cons

-Starting pay is terrible compared to other retailers. Cashiers/Crew Members are capped at $8.50/Hour to start. And, just as an example, I started as a Shift Supervisor at $11/Hour. A Cashier at Lowes Home Improvements in our area starts off at $12.50/Hour.
    -Yearly raises have been decreased drastically! When I started 5 years ago I used to get 6%... last year they were capped at 3%, and this year 2.5%!
    -The payroll hours have been cut so much that there is sometimes only a manager and cashier working in the store at a given time. Due to the payroll cuts, some stores in my area actually started to lay-off employees because they didnt have enough hours to give out.
    -"Do more with less". I think this is CVS's favorite quote! Take away employees, but add an insane amount of work to get done on top of it. But, as per the district & regional managers.. "The work better get done, and if it doesnt, we will relieve you of your duties and find someone with cheaper pay who can"..and.. "If you dont like it here then leave, McDonalds is hiring down the road".
    -Employee morale is terrible, and the turnover rate is incredible. Everyone in this company is so stressed out and the employees at the regional offices are all on their toes because they never know whose next to be axed (fired).
    -CVS is NOT an employee friendly company. Anyone above the DM (District Manager) position could care less about you. And god forbid you have an HR or payroll issue.. your on your own!
    -CVS is on a firing spree... from what I've heard from people they are trying to rid the company of any highly paid employees. They'll find the smallest reason to get rid of you and hire someone cheaper to do the job. They'd rather cheap pay over experience. Within the past year they eliminated the Regional Photo Manager & Cosmetics position company-wide. In addition, they fired our Area Vice President, Regional Manager, and Loss Prevention Manager as well.

If you want your company to do well and flourish, treat your employees with respect. Listen to any ideas & complaints that the front-line/store level employees have. We are the ones that are interacting with your customers! Customers are not going to want to shop at a company where all the employees are so stressed out and unhappy!

Fast paced job, with lots of tasks to accomplish

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment, very flexible with scheduling, good training program.

Cons

Lots of paper work that get in your way of being able to spend quality time on the sales floor. You work with very small teams for your shift, usually just you and a cashier.

Working for CVS pharmacy.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CVS is really great for the community. They always have the best interest of people in mind. They always attempt to raise funds for many great charities like ALS

Cons

CVS recently discontinued selling tobacco products which actually is one of their pros, but they continue to sell alcohol products claiming that there are health benefits. To a certain point I agree that there are some benefits to drinking red wine for example, but I think there more harmful effects of alcoholic beverages than good. There employee expectations are way too high. They expect one person to do the same amount of work as two or three people in other places where I have worked. Employees are In such a hurry to get things done that quality work has gone down the drain. Customer service is also hurt by the lack of help.

Increase the available hours for employee hours in the store. This will increase production and more employees on the sales floor will improve customer service. Happy customers will increase sales.

Store Manager in resignation

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stability and Generally it is not as hard as complexed as other retail operations. You are Store Manager but you are mainly in charge of Grocery and HBC which is 20% business and you act as support and secretary with the stuff they need.

Cons

You are manager on paper unless you are in 24 hour store with bigger payroll. If you are not you will likely have one cashier and yourself in the building plus RX stuff. Which means you will have to do everything by yourself, including planograms, cleaning, facing up, dealing with all kind of issues, taking out trash, banking, deposits and all financials, build displays and so on. There is very little delegation.
    If you are not of RX background, Store Manager is probably as far that you can go up.

Put more hours in the store, especially that you are making a lot of money.

I have learned a lot of useful skills but it is very fustrating and under staffed.

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Flexible schedule, employee discount

Cons

Stressful and never really trained properly

We are not all capable of doing it all. No more pcq calls and better communication among employees.

As a high school/college job, it was great for me.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working as a shift supervisor was a decent job to get me through college. The hours were flexible to work around my schedule. If you have a decent manager, the training is great and you won't be thrown into something you aren't ready for.

Cons

Sometimes you may have more to do then possible because the hours are often few and far between so sometimes the crew is shorthanded. The pay is usually minimum wage, and the promotions and raises are once yearly. I can't imagine working there for life, but it was a good first job!

The store needs to have enough hours to run it! You can't imagine that we can get the amount of stuff done with the amount of time given.

Good company, poor leadership

Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was able to start and build a career with CVS. I started as a clerk in high school and left eight years later as a store manager. I was part of the old school customer service focused CVS.

Cons

CVS became all about the mighty dollar. They treat their customers and employees like crap now.

Re-focus on what made CVS into CVS.

CUSTOMER SERVICE & RESPECTING YOUR PEOPLE.

Potential compensation is excellent.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In a business that is always needed. Pay is great and bonuses are even better. Lots of room for those that want to advance.

Cons

There are long work hours and work weeks. Always under a lot of pressure to get work done with minimal hours and minimal staff.

Make sure those that are in the trenches are given the time, money, resources and help to get the job done.

Great Opportunities and Stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The mail order is basically an office job. There's a cafe on site, which is very budget-friendly. Lots of departments have a casual dress code, since there aren't any in-person customers. There's benefits like 401k, quarterly bonuses (based on performance), and tuition assistance which helped me pay for school, plus my supervisor accomodated my school schedule. And there's lots of overtime opportunities, pretty much every week, to make some extra money. There's a lot of diverse people working at the mail order which is cool. Also, there's a lot of career growth potential; lots of lateral and promotional options if you want to move up or don't like what you are doing. Very stable company.

Cons

Pay might not be as competitive as it should be for the market.

Evaluate competitive pay rates. Invest in your people finacially, and they will feel valued and are less likely to get lured away by another pharmacy.

Challenging.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Never boring, always tons to do. Focuses on customer service more than anything at the moment which can feel rewarding at the end of the day. We are allowed as much over time as wanted in my area.

Cons

Every employee often feels overburdened with the amount of tasks to complete since the amount of usable hours is very low. Staff is often underpaid which leads to low productivity, motivation and morale. Because overtime is not an issue, most stores are understaffed and rely on workers to do crazy amounts of hours to pick up the slack.

Like everyone else: more hours to the stores please.