CVS Health Reviews

2.7
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,857 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

5,269 Employee Reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

2. Good Company

I worked at CVS Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, co-workers are nice

Cons

They need a better training program, give more hours and pay better.

3. no thanks

Pros

simple system, good pay and benefits

Cons

not enough staff and staff is inexperienced. management wants you to complete more tasks then can be done in the time allotted. Company doesn't trust it's own employees. Cares more about the bottom line then anything.

5. Regional Training Store Manager

Former Employee - Regional Training Store Manager/Emerging Leader/Store Manager in Columbia, NJ

I worked at CVS Health (More than 10 years)

Pros

A flexible schedule, competitive salary

Cons

a lot of change in a short time. unhappy employees

6. Pharmacy technician

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has a wide range of medicine that you will come across and issues from insurance companies that will advance your learning experience as a pharmacy tech.

Cons

The work drains you mentally and at times it can be difficulty dealing with insurance rejection when submitting claim and impolite customer.

Advice to Management

Hire technician with good work ethics and enjoy serving individuals in need.

A good starting job for College students

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in San Antonio, TX

I worked at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Most manager will work with you to make sure you have time off for school work or life. Working in a drug store has its perks. Our store had lots of elderly people come in and to help them really felt satisfying. They do lots of training to help you progress in the company but some managers don't want you to move up.

Cons

Get better registers and stop micromanaging every employee. They implemented a new survey that if a customer had a bad experience during your shift it reflects on you even if you had nothing to do with the customers experience. Managers do not like supervisors moving up of course that's if you can find an assistant store manager position. They talk about how their talent pool for managers are low well help those like me who wanted to move up in the company and not forget about us. I was getting a bachelors degree in business and all I got was "ok good for you back to your supervisor job."

Advice to Management

Promote supervisors to higher positions and invest in those who care. A lot of managers get burned out because they don't have enough help. Give stores more hours and you will see better production and cleaner stores.

In charge of overall operations of store.

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Good pay and good benifits. Flexible schedule and plenty of room for promotion. Professional atmosphere and new stores opening all the time.

Cons

The company has high expectations but gives us very little payroll resulting in a highly stressful work environment. Manager expected to pick up all the extra work and it's quite a bit.

Shift A

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Flexible shifts for all three types in 24 hour store.

Cons

If you're a 24 hour store beware of the theft and getting robbed.

Advice to Management

Come up with a better system other than letting your workers get held up, counting the money to see what was stolen and opening back up like nothing happened. Like maybe a security guard with a gun.

10. CVS Health- Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Providence, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Caremark (PBM)- work with great people who care about you CVS (Retail)- no pros

Cons

Caremark (PBM)- work long hours, too many clients that need too much attention CVS (retail)- work long hours, 80's retail mindset, terrible leadership, no advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

Caremark (PBM)- lessen expectations right out of the gate, allow employees to learn about the industry, lessen the workload CVS (retail)- be more flexible and keep an open mind to new work strategies (work from home, etc.)

11. Store manager

Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Advancement potential, fun environment, progressive company, job security within the industry, great benefits, new interesting programs to keep you engaged.

Cons

Long hours and days with no end in sight. Unable to manage the needs of the business to personal and private life. Hour constraints too rigid to maintain a service environment and operations.

Advice to Management

Realize that the company is more powerful and better off if the managers are given the hours that they need to maintain the business and operate within the four walls. Cigarettes caused a huge issue inside the corporation and failure to balance the needs of the business after their departure is one of cvs health's major flaws.

Showing 5,269 of 5,385 reviews