CVS Health Reviews

3,993 Reviews
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,477 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay & bonuses if you hit targets. This is not a company where office managers succeed. Managers will need to do a good amount of merchandising and maintenance of the backroom, which I do not mind. I have found that most managers that run unsuccessful stores are not willing to put the work in themselves, and would rather stand around and complain about the problems rather than do something about it themselves. Promotion potential seems pretty good to me as long as you are willing to put in work. The people I know who do not progress beyond store management are either content where they are or not willing enough to be competitive for higher positions.

Cons

Long hours, you are often expected to work doubles if you have a call out and no one else to replace someone with (this may include overnights). Hiring is tough because people can find better wages and benefits elsewhere. Most good employees realize this and will leave. The company is overall very concerned with saving money; I believe it is due to the recent cut of tobacco sales nationwide. Because of the lost sales here, they try to make up for it by cutting hours and shipping excessive merchandise to attempt to maintain in stock numbers.

Increase store hours budgets. Coming from someone who does more than an honest day's work every day, nearly every store is under-budgeted. There are many unrealistic expectations that cannot be met with current hours (I cannot walk every customer directly to the item they are looking for when there are only 2 employees in the store and there is a long line).
    It seems as though mid to high level management has no idea what goes on in stores on a day-to-day basis. This is likely because they were either hired from an outside company or have not run their own store in so long that they simply forget. This is part of why there are unrealistic expectations.
    Some policies seem to assume that the store manager is going to fail, and it ends up hurting those who can actually do a good job. Many merchandising standards are by the book, with little wiggle room for a manager to do things their own way, regardless of if it is better from a sales and customer standpoint (Endcap placement, seasonal setups, pricing markdowns, etc.)

3. Owner

Former Employee - Customer Service in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

happily employed till closed down-27 years

Cons

Can't think of any right now!

Always listen to what your customers say, think before you speak.

Loved it

Former Employee - Cashier/Supervisor In Training
    Former Employee - Cashier/Supervisor In Training

I worked at CVS Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved working here. Co workers and customers were both amazing. Wouldn't have chosen anywhere else to work. Hours are flexible too.

Cons

Working on holidays was the only con, honestly. Maybe how busy it gets at times, too. I loved working there though.

Keep up the amazing work!

6. Clerk

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

simple tasks, flexible hours, good experience, usually have stuff to do

Cons

upper management not very helpful to individual stores. have seen a few good coworkers let go while some bad ones stay

pay more attention to your individual employees instead of just setting ridiculous standards and goals

Learning Experience.

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Laguna Niguel, CA

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Best people to work with.

Cons

Not having enough time to get assignments complete.

8. OK

Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People you work around are good and friendly.

Cons

Reduction of hours hard on managers and on the associates that their hours are cut. Too much work and not enough staff to complete for expectations. Compensation could be better for all. Job was constantly being threatened.

9. EGWP Account Management

Current Employee - EGWP Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - EGWP Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good learning experience and nice to put on the resume. Optional work remote.

Cons

No structure. Weak upper leadership.

Get directors who have knowledge of the job

10. Cashier enjoyed helping customets

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Retail store industry busy all the time

Cons

Hours weekend and rotating shifts

11. Good Job with good coworkers

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Peru, IL
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Peru, IL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Friendly co-workers. Stable hours. Easy to get time off. Good work life balance.

Cons

Management can be non-existent. Management will not always back the employee up.

Listen to your employees