CVS Health Reviews

2.7
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,750 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

4,950 Employee Reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

2. Cvs

Current Employee - Cvs Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Cvs Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

There are many cvs to transfer if you move from where you are currently living. Can be quick depending on the DM

Cons

Can take a long time to advance. Asm to store manager can be much more of a waiting game than supervisor to asm

Advice to Management

Value your management more

3. AWESOME COMPANY

I have been working at CVS Health part-time

Pros

Decent hours, great pay, great management. Staff is nice and helpful. Company policies are outstanding

Cons

There are no downsides to working at CVS Health, you get out what you put in.

Advice to Management

keep up the great work, you guys are amazing ,truly and honestly.

5. Mediocre--wouldn't want to be here for long

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at CVS Health (Less than a year)

Pros

-Getting to know some interesting customers -organized training program (specific to CVS, not general tech training) -Rewards program and employee discount -I like the team I work with for the most part (this can make or break your experience) -Opportunity to learn about insurance billing

Cons

-Dealing with angry customers or customers who don't know what they need -Dealing with lazy floater pharmacists (shifts most of the burden to techs who aren't getting paid nearly as much) -Pretty uncompetitive compensation, even for trained pharmacy techs -uneven scheduling (some weeks with a lot of hours and some with few)

Advice to Management

-Consider offering better compensation technicians. They are the backbone of the pharmacy and carry a lot of the weight of the work, plus they are the ones your customers see most.

CVS

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

CVS is a great place to work. They are very flexible with hours and letting you make your own schedule.

Cons

Short and/or no lunch breaks, pay could be higher, dealing with rude customers.

7. Pharmacy Technician

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cumming, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cumming, GA

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers, and good learning environment

Cons

Not very good with pay/raise

8. open

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a hard worker and very punctual.

Cons

I have no experience in cashiering but very willing to learn but I can also stocked shelves and willing and eager to learn!

Advice to Management

Again I am a very hard working person.

9. stable environment

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

air-conditioned, laid-back environment, work with people and helped people out, supportive staff , good pay, overtime during busy times

Cons

can be stressful on a daily basis, hours could be longer than usual, mandatory overtime,

10. OK place to work

Former Employee - Cashier in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bowie, MD

I worked at CVS Health (Less than a year)

Pros

The people were really nice

Cons

The management and pay were very poor for all of the job duties given, I was told if I learned an extra duty I would get paid more and low and behold, everyone up front is supposed to know how to work it but I was one of 3.

Advice to Management

Management was horrible to the employees, she was very rude to the customers as well.

11. Strong Financial Company

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Great benefit package for all employees

Cons

Work Life Balance and performance planning/evaluation

Advice to Management

Follow employee engagement survey results to improve culture.

Showing 4,950 of 5,136 reviews