CVS Health Reviews

3,239 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,196 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 63 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

CVS claims to have opportunities, I have yet to see them...

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Paulsboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Paulsboro, NJ

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

At the retail level, and as a non-salary full-time employee, CVS has nice benefits and about 2 weeks paid vacation time. You are given a lot of responsibility, but I consider this to be a good thing. One of the best benefits is being able to not only work with a diverse group of people, but also help a number of people. If you don't like interacting with customers or lose patience quickly this is not the job for you. Employees also receive a store discount, which can save you a lot of money.

Cons

Since I am a shift supervisor I have come to see myself as a middle man between upper management and cashiers. In this position it is easy to become frustrated. This is especially true when upper management expects you to do the work of 4 people and your running a store on a skeleton crew. Upper management also has you do things that, while on paper may look good, in practice are somewhat unreasonable given time restraints and other more important tasks that must be completed first. The other negative part about this job is that full time is a minimum of 30 hours and a maximum of 40 hours per week. CVS ties very had to keep people in this buffer zone, overtime for non-salary staff is frowned upon, which is a shame since I would be willing to work overtime.

Get rid of some of the dumb required "walk-throughs," modules and surveys and be realistic with expectations. Cashiers are often high school or college kids who don't see themselves invested in the company and therefor only do as much work as they are paid for, leaving more work for supervisors and store managers.

Store Manager in resignation

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stability and Generally it is not as hard as complexed as other retail operations. You are Store Manager but you are mainly in charge of Grocery and HBC which is 20% business and you act as support and secretary with the stuff they need.

Cons

You are manager on paper unless you are in 24 hour store with bigger payroll. If you are not you will likely have one cashier and yourself in the building plus RX stuff. Which means you will have to do everything by yourself, including planograms, cleaning, facing up, dealing with all kind of issues, taking out trash, banking, deposits and all financials, build displays and so on. There is very little delegation.
    If you are not of RX background, Store Manager is probably as far that you can go up.

Put more hours in the store, especially that you are making a lot of money.

Fast paced job, with lots of tasks to accomplish

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment, very flexible with scheduling, good training program.

Cons

Lots of paper work that get in your way of being able to spend quality time on the sales floor. You work with very small teams for your shift, usually just you and a cashier.

Good company, poor leadership

Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was able to start and build a career with CVS. I started as a clerk in high school and left eight years later as a store manager. I was part of the old school customer service focused CVS.

Cons

CVS became all about the mighty dollar. They treat their customers and employees like crap now.

Re-focus on what made CVS into CVS.

CUSTOMER SERVICE & RESPECTING YOUR PEOPLE.

I have learned a lot of useful skills but it is very fustrating and under staffed.

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Flexible schedule, employee discount

Cons

Stressful and never really trained properly

We are not all capable of doing it all. No more pcq calls and better communication among employees.

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Willoughby, OH
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Willoughby, OH

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training was thorough for pharmacy technicians but completing classes and online training modules. Time off was never a problem, but that could depend on your manager. Friendly environment, workers easy to get a long with.

Cons

Very busy store but that's expected in retail. Sometimes not enough technician help. Some of the reports they make you do are overkill but that's what drives company profits

CVS is great

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Heart warming, friendly work place

Cons

no cons in working at CVS

good solid company

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor (Overnight)
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor (Overnight)

I have been working at CVS Health (more than an year)

Pros

The structure is basically good, The work is satisfying if you like retail, and the customer base is very loyal (lots of familiar faces come in there everyday.)

Cons

I work overnight so most of the important store info does not get passed along to me, I find myself often looking for information myself, which can be a little stressful.

Make sure all into is communicated to all team members, regardless of work time.

Retail Pharmacy

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Plainville, CT
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Plainville, CT

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

top of the line technology

Cons

The shifts were very long

need more sane scheduling

10 years

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

good benifits good schedule good 401k good teams( if your lucky)``

Cons

bad management, no real knowledge in the upper level management- they know whats going on and turn a blind eye

go to college and be more appreciative of your staff