CVS Health Reviews

2.7
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,857 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

5,264 Employee Reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

2. no thanks

Pros

simple system, good pay and benefits

Cons

not enough staff and staff is inexperienced. management wants you to complete more tasks then can be done in the time allotted. Company doesn't trust it's own employees. Cares more about the bottom line then anything.

3. Regional Training Store Manager

Former Employee - Regional Training Store Manager/Emerging Leader/Store Manager in Columbia, NJ

I worked at CVS Health (More than 10 years)

Pros

A flexible schedule, competitive salary

Cons

a lot of change in a short time. unhappy employees

A good starting job for College students

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in San Antonio, TX

I worked at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Most manager will work with you to make sure you have time off for school work or life. Working in a drug store has its perks. Our store had lots of elderly people come in and to help them really felt satisfying. They do lots of training to help you progress in the company but some managers don't want you to move up.

Cons

Get better registers and stop micromanaging every employee. They implemented a new survey that if a customer had a bad experience during your shift it reflects on you even if you had nothing to do with the customers experience. Managers do not like supervisors moving up of course that's if you can find an assistant store manager position. They talk about how their talent pool for managers are low well help those like me who wanted to move up in the company and not forget about us. I was getting a bachelors degree in business and all I got was "ok good for you back to your supervisor job."

Advice to Management

Promote supervisors to higher positions and invest in those who care. A lot of managers get burned out because they don't have enough help. Give stores more hours and you will see better production and cleaner stores.

In charge of overall operations of store.

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Good pay and good benifits. Flexible schedule and plenty of room for promotion. Professional atmosphere and new stores opening all the time.

Cons

The company has high expectations but gives us very little payroll resulting in a highly stressful work environment. Manager expected to pick up all the extra work and it's quite a bit.

Shift A

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Flexible shifts for all three types in 24 hour store.

Cons

If you're a 24 hour store beware of the theft and getting robbed.

Advice to Management

Come up with a better system other than letting your workers get held up, counting the money to see what was stolen and opening back up like nothing happened. Like maybe a security guard with a gun.

8. staff pharmacist

Pros

good inventory control have product that need

Cons

understaffed and large turnover of technicians

9. CVS Health- Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Providence, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Caremark (PBM)- work with great people who care about you CVS (Retail)- no pros

Cons

Caremark (PBM)- work long hours, too many clients that need too much attention CVS (retail)- work long hours, 80's retail mindset, terrible leadership, no advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

Caremark (PBM)- lessen expectations right out of the gate, allow employees to learn about the industry, lessen the workload CVS (retail)- be more flexible and keep an open mind to new work strategies (work from home, etc.)

10. OK

Pros

Some companies have better starting salaries

Cons

Not patient oriented, all about the $$$

NC Tech

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Wilmington, NC

I worked at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

It all depends on what store you work at and the staff. When I transferred from one store to another it was like night and day. I loved the people I worked with at my new store, I even didn't mind staying after and helping out more. And they have a pretty good Pharmacy Software System expediting the production process -unless you are working with an untrained newbie-

Cons

Like I said, it really depends on the people that work in that store with you. When you have a cool manager who doesn't constantly try to micromanage you and fuss over little, irrelevant things, then it just puts everybody in a bad mood. A bad vibe in a small working environment can really affect how the rest of the day goes. When you have a manager that is laid back but works hard and only complains about necessary things, then the tension is minimal and the techs feel comfortable and friendly, which will reflect how they treat the customers AND how hard they will work. Its hard to focus when there is constant tension and techs are more likely to make mistakes when they feel like they are constantly walking on eggshells, especially when constant micromanaging can cause other techs to bully each other and.. well.. the snow ball effect can make everybody miserable, especially the customers. Whats more is the irony between the importance of accuracy with this kind of healthcare related job and the pay difference between techs and rphs. That is a big gap, which will naturally cause differences in work ethics and attitudes. This is something that is present at all retail pharmacies and should be addressed. Techs don't get paid enough to put as much care into the job as rphs, and the tech pay rate will certainly not encourage the techs to put up with any extra bs. The only way this vicious cycle of vocational grey area can be addressed without breaking budget is through a good manager that increases moral and makes everyone feel comfortable and happy to be at work.

Advice to Management

Be mindful of how much less the tech gets paid next time you need to address a matter. Underpaid healthcare professionals should at the very least be approached with kindness and respect to keep them motivated to work harder then what the job pays. Personally, when I was training new techs, I was a big fan of the "Compliment Sandwich" which is a strategy used to address a situation involving starting the conversation with some kind of genuine compliment regarding the techs performance in order to get their positive attention, then acknowledge the situation and how it can be corrected, respectfully, ask them if they have any questions about the issue and what they need to do to fix it, then close the conversation with another compliment about the tech and reassure you confidence in them to encourage them to want to work hard for you and better themselves. If they know that it IS possible to please you then they will be hungry to figure out what they need to do to keep you happy, and using the compliment sandwich method is effective with resolving tech errors without making the tech feeling attacked and incompetent to do the job right.

Showing 5,264 of 5,385 reviews