CVS Health Reviews

2.7
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,643 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

4,681 Employee Reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

The benefits are great. 3 weeks vacation and excellent health insurance. 401K matching up to 5 percent. Prescription benefits are really good.

Cons

No cons yet. I will keep looking for some, but it is hard to do before your first day at work.

So far so good......

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Many options to move up.
    Decent starting salary.
    Non-discriminatory.

Cons

Location is eh......
    Recruiters are horrible.
    Questionable upper management.
    Non-qualified managers

Advice to Management

Lighten up.

5. Salary

I worked at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

it is a really amazing company to work for. Very great benefits and holiday pays. If you love working with customers, it's the right place to be.

Cons

The hours might not be as much. Even as a full time you don't get much hours but if it's just part time your looking for than its good.

Advice to Management

It will really be great if employees can get more hours. Also focus on managers and the once above them.

Tech Trainee

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician Trainee in Brockton, MA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician Trainee in Brockton, MA

I worked at CVS Health (Less than a year)

Pros

learning about drugs in the pharmacy and interacting with nice customers

Cons

pharmacists are rude and look down on you even though your helping run the show

Overall mostly positive, but there are many cons.

Current Employee - Store Team Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Team Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair compensation, 5% 401k match, ESPP, decent medical and health benefits.

Cons

Unreasonable expectations and time frames, annual decreases in payroll budgets.

Advice to Management

Pay your part time people fairer wages, give the stores fair payroll budgets.

8. Overall Average, Not Great, Not Bad

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Marketing in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Marketing in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Smart people, most are tenured, so you get a lot of stoggy, not the way we have done it in the past thinking

Cons

Need to weed out underperformers.

9. Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at CVS Health part-time

Pros

Learn about drugs and what they are for. Be able to help out patients that really need help.

Cons

The pay is too low and you have to be there 6 hours in order to get a break. The customers are very nasty at times. High stress.

Advice to Management

Keep a proper amount of technicians on each shift so that we are available for every patient and able to help them.

10. Pharmacy Tech at CVS

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Saint Clair Shores, MI
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Saint Clair Shores, MI

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding, great hours, etc.

Cons

Other than the fact that other pharmacies pay higher for pharmacy techs, no cons.

11. Careful with CVS

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Mount Ephraim, NJ
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Mount Ephraim, NJ

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My location is one of the best places to work for CVS. We have a great team, friendly, compassionate people that are always willing to help each other out.

Cons

Unfortunetly other locations are AWFUL. I worked in a store in NC. Manager was in his 70s and had absolutely no idea what he was doing and did not want help from people under him even if they were more experienced with the newer systems in place.

Showing 4,681 of 4,788 reviews