CVS Health Reviews

3,056 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,111 Ratings

Pros
  • Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 93 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees, flexible schedules around school (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 145 reviews)

• that isn't a bad thing from a customer service standpoint but it can be stressful (in 130 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic Experience working in a Fast paced, strategic replenishment company

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  North Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in North Andover, MA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in a 24 hour store there is greater flexibility with scheduling the staff as well as personal needs when needed. Tasks are done on specific days and you can be more efficient if you incorporate the overnight staff into the tasks that are normally done during the day. I have to say I love my job in my current 24 hour store.

Cons

If your going for store management you will bounce around. Once you find a store that works for you for location, hours, and team you may just be moving again until you get your own store. Average length in one store is 8 months to a year. Also the pay for management is not as good as some other retailers. There is a pay cut for your training period and most likely you are already took one to come here if your are already in management somewhere. The work load can be a shocker as well even if you are expecting it and are used to something similar.
    Management training is not great for work life. Training in a store and helping out other stores would be much more beneficial than actually transferring to other stores. It doesn't take long for a manager to learn tasks and usually you just need to go through the experience in order to learn. It's tough to constantly adapt to new store managers with different guidelines of schedules when you have young ones at home no matter how flexible you are.

Medical benefits for a family are not very good. Everything is out of pocket and you can't even use the minuteclinic. This needs to be more affordable for a family. Kids HAVE to go to the doctor and we have to work. It's much more convenient to go to the minuteclinic for small things like strep and ear infections. Also as a manager we need to revisit how we do our hiring. The recruiters are working 3 clients per store whether or not that client is responding or not.. Basically you could waste 2 weeks on a client that is not even interested in the job before we move on to someone who does. Our stores need 1-3 people when we are hiring and at this rate is take 3-6 months to hire one person. When you have an immediate need this is way too long. Management Trainees or assistant managers should be on a bench in a couple districts. Once your hired your in one district but many stores are in need of management and it would be nice to be able to get closer to home rather than farther and farther away in most cases. Assistants should be trained by the best store managers and meetings offsite once a month with multiple district managers. I have noticed the DM's are very different and it's hard to switch from one district to another.

Lower pay for more workload.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent benefits. Good in incentive bonus if you are in a good store and your goals aren't unattainable. Usually they are though.

Cons

Goals are unattainable. Work week is supposed to be 45 hours. Usually closer to 65 because the workload is not in line with the budgeted hours. Constantly starting new programs that take more of the time away from doing what needs to be done to satisfy customers. Basically another company who has allowed the HR department dictate what needs to be and ignores the people who have actual experience take care of the business. Supervisors are lined up to drink that Kool-Aid too.

If you are contacted to interview for the SMT program... Run...fast. Training is a joke. The manager who trains you will just use you as free labor as long as he can and not explain the necessary functions of the job of store manager.

Excellent experience with this Company.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Engagement, advancement, and the ability to help people live better, and longer.

Cons

Sometimes, as with all large Companies, metrics will invade, and slow down processes.

Contine forward on your road to innovative approaches the health for the next century.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive experience working as a shift supervisor for CVS health

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at CVS Health part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a shift supervisor, you are in charge of the whole sales floor. The work schedules are very flexible. I enjoyed being a leader to my sales associates.

Cons

Some of the challenges are the benefits. I don't think I receive any good benefits. Also, many of the customers are very difficult to deal with

There should be more benefits with working for CVS. Overall you guys are doing a great job.

Awesome hands on experience where you can be yourself and genuinely help customers in need.

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at CVS Health part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, Professional environment, hands on training, supportive co-workers and supervisors, easy to work with co-workers. Ability to be yourself while working. Time and a half pay on holidays.

Cons

Training took forever before actually working in the pharmacy, slow system.

Continue to acknowledge co-workers when they do their duties correctly and efficiently. Believe it or not, being acknowledged for my work motivated me to do it even better each and everyday.

customer service

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

training in cvs health care

Cons

great store for service customers

great service

Could Be Worse

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

I enjoy my Store manager a lot. Schedules are flexible. Most stores operate the same way so it's easy to work at other stores.

Cons

The company does not allow for many hours. As management it is not uncommon to be working in the store alone for hours. There are not enough hours allotted for at least two people to be working all open hours. Corporate turns air/heat on/off according to temperatures at headquarters in the north.

Stores need more hours each week.

Customer Service/Cashier experience working here.

Former Employee - Cashier Sales Associate  in  Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Albany, NY

I worked at CVS Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers are very helpful and patient. Other employees also help each other out. Customers are usually very friendly and it's overall a nice environment. As a full time employee, i got about 32 hr to 38 hours a week. They do time and a half for overtime after 40 hours a week (for those who are payed hourly). Holidays they pay time and a half. They have a reward system for people who go above and beyond called Values in Action. These points can be redeemed for gift cards and items. Your always busy so time does fly. Management responds quickly when called. When learning new things from management (doing things that are management level of work), they are very thorough to make sure you know what you are doing.

Cons

First retail job. I was passed on to an employee to learn the ropes. You go straight on the register ringing people out. You got to be quick because the line can build up fast. A lot of things you don't know how to do but are expected to figure it out. If you don't get a certain percentage of emails a week expect hearing about it, including getting written up (this includes managers unless your the store owner). You will deal with some crazy people, the coupon extremists who use extrabucks as currency, lots of expired coupons, complaints on pharmacy staff in the back, coupons not arriving to card, 90% off after holiday sales not ringing up right. I actually enjoyed this but some of you might not, your not just a cashier or a customer service person. Sometimes you'll be removing expired products from shelves, scanning things that arrive, scanning out things that are being returned, vacuuming, helping out with labels and product placement. I think of it as manager training ;). Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians. The store i worked in had no room for advancement. Check your schedule daily, it can change quite often if you don't specify hours.

ps. I did not work at Albany, NY. I will not tell you where since it's the ONLY CVS in the city i worked in.

Email collection leads to unwanted stress on employees. If you want us to smile for every customer, don't make it mandatory!

CVS Health was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Frisco, TX

I worked at CVS Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The management showed they cared about their employees while teaching successful business initiatives.

Cons

It is a retail job.

It is a fun working experience there. i love my job and every day is a new challenge for me. there are so many challenge

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

They have great staff, the manager team are very helpful and caring. they have all the resources to help a person grow in the business world

Cons

The schedule basically because there are not that many hours and so much to do. but at the same token it is very fun place to work

Worked for CVS Health? Contribute to the Community!