CVS Health Reviews

2.7
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,868 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

5,315 Employee Reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

Staff became friends quickly

I worked at CVS Health part-time

Pros

The staff you're working with is friendly, helpful and patient as you learn how to work there. Training was pretty good as well. For starting pay it was great, and I was told there was fast advancement opportunities.

Cons

It can be difficult to be patient with customers at times, and sometimes you would hear rumors about other staff members talking behind your back about a mistake you made.

Advice to Management

To your face and in their words the management is great, very patient and kind - but eventually you feel as though there's a little passive-agressive behavior going on.

Not hard job but stressful at times due to payroll cuts during seasonal transitions

Current Employee - Store Manager in Gulfport, MS
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Gulfport, MS

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, job is not hard at all. It is easy to maintain the corner stones of a CVS store once store manager has mastered everything.

Cons

Not enough payroll to run a good store. I normally work 6 days a week to get all of the projects completed. Everything wouldn't get completed on time if I didn't work 6 days a week. Payroll is calculated by your myschedule Demand regardless of sales volume of your store.

Advice to Management

Can't go by myschedule demand for payroll. A lot of projects have to be completed throughout each and every week. Need more payroll for seasonal transitions especially sept thru January. Pay store managers more money if they are required to work 6 days a week!!!Impossible to get all of the projects completed on time working 5 days a week. Targets for mycustomer experience and CFR need to be realistic and not driven by what a computer says or a report says. we are all human and we do have do lives outside of CVS.

Store Management

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rapidly growing company with opportunity for the right person, great team of people who work well together, transfer to anywhere in the US with a CVS,

Cons

pay is only average, lots of growing pains in the company, reduction of labor budget makes everyone a little more stressed about getting the job done than should be necessary

Advice to Management

People are your best resource and not always replaceable, if you want great customer service don't ask us to do 10 things all at once-it detracts from the customer!! Simplify and add labor!

6. DATA STEWARD

Former Employee - Data Steward/Prior Authorization Technician in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Data Steward/Prior Authorization Technician in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at CVS Health (Less than a year)

Pros

i just wish that there was better pay

Cons

The job i had was temp

7. So you want to be a Pharm Tech?

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CVS is generally a great place to work. The management is super helpful and caring, and the extensive training you go through is extremely thorough.

Cons

The only complaint I have about working for CVS is that the hours as a part-time pharm tech are sometimes lacking

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees well, and perhaps find a way to balance out employees' hours.

8. Sales

I have been working at CVS Health part-time

Pros

Fast paced at times very good company to work for would like to have more hours but they are not available

Cons

Would let to work more hours due to cuts hours are hard to get and maintain a 35 hour week

Advice to Management

Not any advice besides to give more hours to people that want them and to promote from within company

9. Account Management

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A decent place to work, and decent benefits. We look foward to bonus time as those are pretty good.

Cons

The demand and expectation is unrealistic especially for what they pay. Work life balance is non-existant.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employees that actaully perform.

10. It works for some people.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There were some great friendships I've acquired working there. And their models for customer service were great.

Cons

Not enough recognition for great employees.

11. Doable work, lots of overtime.

Pros

A lot of overtime hours.

Cons

In constant need of people.

Advice to Management

Offer something to keep newly hired employees from leaving so soon.

Showing 5,315 of 5,434 reviews