CVS Health Reviews

3,986 Reviews
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,474 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

1. Great as an in-between or part time job.

Current Employee - Shift Lead
    Current Employee - Shift Lead

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They gave me a chance when I had been out of work for several months. There are lots of opportunities to move up if you are willing to sacrifice having a life outside of work.

Cons

When I got a raise it took almost three months before it reflected on my paycheck. Although I received back pay, it made me feel as if I didn't matter as an employee. After asking around the same thing happened to many of my coworkers.

Spend less time on company initiatives that are good PR and pay people a living wage.

2. Impressive numbers but not impressed with working here

Current Employee - PSR in Mount Prospect, IL
    Current Employee - PSR in Mount Prospect, IL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Basically the only saving grace is having some really cool people work there

Cons

No communication between managers and staff, consistently getting yelled at by management, little to no help from managers, pts can be really mean and insulting depending on what therapy you work, computer system from stone age, AND the training (at least at my branch) is a JOKE.

Listen to your team (a lot of them are miserable) and a lot of the managers are clueless to how it really is. Higher pay for inbound cal positions, everyone fights for the outbound call positions. There's really no pro to the inbound positions, higher pay would definitely motivate employees though. Also, get a new computer system. A billion dollar company and all we have is CATS, really??

3. Your typical retail enviornment

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Ventura, CA

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Putting up with this environment for a period of time will make any other non retail job feel like a breeze once you get out.

Cons

The cons depend on management........ seniority is bad, pay is below average, no bonuses, customer service is always fun. Higher management is out for blood if you're not well liked. The list goes on but that's life in retail.

Focus on making work flow equal throughout all employees. Seniority is the worst, co workers work better as a team, not whose above who. And lastly, listen and consider to what employees have to say/suggest.

5. Its definitely a learning experience dealing with the public, however CVS does not give you the tools to adequately deal

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Depending on the store and people you work with, this is what will keep you here.

Cons

Unfortunately the company is extremely money hungry and will do whatever they feel the need to do including setting up the store for failure.

Give the stores what they need, adequate staffing and a fair number of hours.

6. Shift Supervisor B

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

location, started off in a fairly high paid compensation, my hours were good, met great people.

Cons

manager was not competent, made jokes way too much, even with customers who were trying to be serious. the training could be better

7. Only work here if you have no self respect!

Former Employee - SS/ASM in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - SS/ASM in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, insanely easy job duties, you'll be working indoors

Cons

Spineless managers, never enough time to get all the worthless tasks done. You'll be working for a company that pretends to do the right thing (their motto is "we care" - that's a JOKE) but in actuality, only do so when forced by government regulations. They have been sued many times in the past for these infractions, so now all employees must sign an arbitration agreement that prevents future lawsuits against CVS - pretty slick, eh?
    Don't be surprised if you see many OSHA. ADA, Health Dept, Fire Dept. and pharmacy regulations violations - just remember to report them to the proper agencies. If you wish to progress through the ranks, forget about having any dignity - just surrender that at the door. You'll be micro-managed, micro-payrolled, and treated like a micro-brained droid, which is what you will become. If you have any real business management experience, forget about what you know and have learned since CVS treats it's employees like puppets. Just keep your head down, show no initiative, and try to keep the suicidal thoughts from your mind. Look up the word: oppressive. CVS is a good definition of the word.

Why type anything here? It's a waste of time. You think anyone above a store manager position will even read this?

8. Worse company

Current Employee - Medicare Part D in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Medicare Part D in Irving, TX

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Flexible with schedule most of time.

Cons

Management doesn't take responsibility of what they have done and are quick to throw you under the bus. No work life balance. Retaliation is huge here. Unable to move around due to retaliation and unrealistic demands.

Take responsibility of what you have done wrong. Encourage your employees to move on to better opportunities.

9. Worked extremely hard for 15 years but what you did for company in past didn't matter, no loyalty to long term employees

Former Employee - Pharmacist In Charge in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Pharmacist In Charge in San Diego, CA

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, good benefits , if you exceed all of their store goals then bonus can be very good

Cons

Micromanaged to death, it's not what sacrifices you made in past it's what have you done for me lately

Ease up on pic's, we all are trying as hard as we can

10. Worst Job I have Ever Had

Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

-Its a job...
    -Occasional hilarious customers to
     brighten your day
    -30% cvs brand discount

Cons

-Horrible pay
    -Iow daily email collections are looked down upon.
    -Management discourages lunch breaks
    -Hours are very inconsistent
    -Work/Life zero balance due to randomized scheduling times.
    -High work load and expectations
    -Snake Management behavior

How about putting a little more effort into the weekly scheduling? If a cashier had to close the store late that night, why have it where the cashier has to open bright and early the following day? Please understand that it can take a toll on ones body. Why do we have to push the email collection down customer's throats? If they say no. Why is it a negative mark for me? Do away with the email collections. Up the pay. I am always the only cashier, I have to unload truck, stock shelves, tear out and put up hundreds of sale signs, answer phone calls, all while making sure the customers experience great service and my unloading tasks are complete Lol. All for what?

11. They do not care

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay
    Move up the corporate ladder quickly if you work hard enough

Cons

Work life balance is non-existent and they want you to keep working more while they cut back your labor. Managing a minimum hour store, you are told by the DSM to roll back your first cashier so you have enough hours on truck day, so five days a week you're the cashier for 3 hours totaling to 15 hours a week. You're only paid for 45 hours but 60 hour work weeks are the norm. Expect to work more during holidays. It was extremely frustrating to walk in to a 7/11 and see them have 3-4 employees and have my multimillion dollar pharmacy survive on a cashier and one floor person. They do not care about their employees and would gladly sacrifice their happiness and wellbeing just to make a few extra bucks.

The economy is getting better and you're going to start seeing people dropping like flies. Start caring about your employees.