CVS Health Reviews

2.7
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,642 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

4,718 Employee Reviews

1. Store Manager

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Jackson, MS

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The ability to "make your own schedule" is a major plus. Some ability to be flexible with daily work tasks. Higher pay than most companies.

Cons

Everyday life with the company. No hours to achieve the goals set out by corporate. Unrealistic expectations given the market you work in. The demands on the SM are unfair and impossible to achieve if you only work the required 45 hours a week. Most weeks require 55-60 hours of your time to complete normal everyday tasks.

Advice to Management

Make sure you get everything that is offered to you.

2. My experience with cvs has been a learning experience.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Allen, TX

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's fast paced. There is a lot to do, so I'm never bored. I also really enjoy having the opportunity to talk to people every day. I learned a lot here about work ethic, moral, customer service, as well as many specific tasks.

Cons

It's been over a year since I have felt my work was appreciated or meant anything. I work odd hours and do not make nearly enough money for everything that I do. Interpersonal drama is so bad we can't effectively do out jobs, and moral is so low in the store and everyone is so dejected hardly any work gets done. On top of that I've had 6 managers in the last 2 years which creates a messy and unstable work environment.

Advice to Management

Don't promote GMs who aren't fully prepared and trained for the work load and tasks given to them, and stress more the importance of building moral within each team.

NCVS

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The coworkers and customers. Ten years ago it was a good company to work for.

Cons

Under appreciated, under paid, and if you didn't work 40 hrs but more than 30hrs a week they started taking aways from your vacation time that was promised. To me if they say you get 4weeks because of how long you been there. It should be for the full 160 hrs if you are full time. And none of it should be taken away. They cut hours at the beginning of every year as and its hard to get them back. They say they are for the customer, but yet if the customer asked not to contacted except for important information, they put them on do not call list, but it only last for one year. They don't care about their employees and they don't care about their customers anymore, they are all about looking good and bottom dollar. Ten years ago this was a good company. Not anymore.

Advice to Management

Start caring again. Give the employees back their up to 6% raises. The upper management needs to have a paycut

5. Soul sucking and life draining

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Lowell, MA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Prescription benefits, my mother always said if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Cons

Cut backs in staffing, payroll hours, training, no support from district managers on up the food chain.

Advice to Management

listen to your store managers, they know what they are talking about

6. Health insurance

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Boston, MA

I have been working at CVS Health (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are none to speak of. Its a horrible greedy company.

Cons

Cvs basically is committing legal insurance fraud w its health coverage for full time employees. I pay a thousand dollars a year for basically nothing. I have a 3 thousand dollar deductible before insurance even kicks in at all. Then it covers very little and the health savings account can b wiped out in one single incident. As a health care company u would think CVS would take better care of its employees health. They only care about health of their customers, stockholders, and their bottomline. Their motto "health is everything" yeah right if your one of their employees.

Advice to Management

LIve by our motto and take real care of our employees health. I have personally had to not go to doctor cause I knew I couldn't t afford it with this miserable health savings plan. Health is everything. Huh only if it can b treated at one of our minute clinics.

7. Not good

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Kansas City, MO

I worked at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    you can use the restroom when needed

Cons

Low pay
    no benefits
    bad management

Advice to Management

Pay CPhT a competitive wage
    don't treat skilled staff like cashiers

8. Horrific place to work.

Current Employee - Store Assistant Manager in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Store Assistant Manager in Laurel, MD

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I cannot think of any pros except you get vacation time and sick leave. Its nothing special I have a 20 word minimum to post this.

Cons

You are treated like crap. All numbers and figures not a person. You have to deal with DMs
    That continuously talk down to you. No hours. Unrealistic sales quota. The public can do anything they want to you and the company backs them up. You are nothing as an employee of CVS.

Advice to Management

Treat your management like humans not dumb robots.

9. Training store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None this company is a joke! Horrible place to work!!

Cons

Everything. They only care about their bottom line!!

Advice to Management

Quit and find a company that actually lives the core values they preach!!

10. BEWARE!!!!

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

CVS is a large company where you do have the ability to bid into another department if you want to change jobs and stay within the company. Staying in the company will allow you to keep your vacation time, etc.

Cons

Moral within IT is at an all time low. The CIO sets unrealistic goals (100% compliance all of the time..no excuses). While there are ways to get to that goal, you have to crawl before you can run. You are defeated before you even begin. The organization is beyond lean and there is more work for 1 person than 5 people can take on. We are losing fantastic, long-term employees on a daily basis. Turnover is more costly than management realizes and right now, no one seems to care. It is beginning to feel like a Nazi regime and is not sustainable. We complete employee satisfaction surveys annually; however, nothing ever gets better. The corporate environment is under a ridiculous amount of stress and IT and the business do not have aligned goals. Sometimes it feels as though we work for two entirely different companies. I used to think that I could make a difference and be that change that could provide a positive outcome, but over the past 6 months, I have felt more defeated than ever. Think twice before coming to work for a large company where they don't value you as an employee and they think everyone is replaceable!

Advice to Management

It doesn't take much to see the overwhelming amount of stress that you are placing on IT and other parts of the business. Walk through the corporate office, especially building 3 and you will see the discontentment on the faces of your employees. Ask your CIO how he can carry out goals of being 100% compliant at all times. Was his former company 100% compliant always? Quality people are leaving in droves. It can take years for an individual to fully learn about and understand all of the ins and outs of a huge company. Everyone is afraid to speak up in fear of retaliation or losing their job. Be the change that management is looking to see. Sit down with your employees and let them explain the challenges they are facing. Be open minded and talk to our management about how we achieve our ultimate end goals instead of bullying everyone. This mentality is not sustainable. Turn CVS back into a company that people are proud to work for.

Work for CVS only in the interim of finding a respectable job/career

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In CA, they offer Kaiser for medical, and they offer annual bonuses to management for performance. Most managers work with you to ensure schedule requests are honored.

Cons

Understaffed, underpaid, cashiers/clerks are expected to perform all responsibilities of Shift Supervisors and above except for Cash Control without the pay rates. Claim Customer Service is paramount to their business model, but never have more than 3 Front End staff on a non-delivery or non-Field Support Visit day. Corporate will always side with Customer regarding complaints even if complaint is just down right made-up.

Advice to Management

Live up to your claim of caring about customer service, provide more support to your clerks and cashiers through more bodies and pay them a fair wage for what you ask of them.

Showing 4,718 of 4,826 reviews