CVS Health Reviews

4,171 Reviews
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,521 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

1. Department Manager

Former Employee - Department Manager - Two Different in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager - Two Different in Hollywood, CA

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Discount, location, interesting customers, self checkout, real photo department

Cons

Pay, closing and opening shifts in a row, not enough staff, too much district interference

Advice to Management

It's difficult to hire good people that will stay for the money

2. cramming

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, good retail experience, good family feels. opens doors to more opportunities. good internship programs as well.

Cons

too much cramming of hours, i feel like a robot sometimes. the stress levels are a bit much. should be paid even more in my opinion

Advice to Management

work with your employers more. talk with them. notice them. appreciate them. offer customers their input. offer suggestion in the time being

3. Resource Planning Coordinator

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Nice place to work. It has good benefits and people tend to be laid back.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that to have their health insurance you have to take a heath assessment.

5. Shift Supervisor

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

People, great team! Interacting with the customers. Always busy.

Cons

Good job for college students.

6. Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CVS Health is a well respected company that conducts business in an ethical way. Communication from senior management tends to be very transparent and occurs regularly. The company values diversity. Bonuses tend to be generous and the employee stock purchase program is an excellent benefit. The employee discount is also generous and extends to your spouse and children. The company attracts very smart and talented people - I have worked with some great coworkers.

Cons

There is zero work life balance, although management pays it a lot of lip service. If you work here, expect to put in 50-60 hours per week, more when there is an important project. Senior executives are notorious for waiting until the last minute to get started on time-sensitive projects, leaving everyone to scramble to meet unreasonable deadlines. Because people are pushed, the job always gets done, so there is no motivation to be better prepared for the next project.

If you like technology, think twice about working here. Computer hardware and software are woefully outdated and often fail. With the exception of a few, the help desk staff is at best incompetent and at worst rude and unhelpful.

While the financial benefits are excellent, the health benefits are deplorable. The company recently shifted the bulk of the cost to employees for prescription drugs and medical treatment. Deductibles are outrageous, especially if you are covering a spouse and/or children. There is a health savings account that is tax deferred, but you are still paying the bulk your medical expenses out of your own pocket. Preventative services are free, but you'll worry that you won't be able to pay for treatment if they find anything. Even treatment at MinuteClinic, which is part of the company, is paid for by the employee until the deductible is reached. The company has provided software so you can comparison shop for medical services - as if accessing health care is like shopping at Walmart. They've truly made health care about cost rather than quality. I know several employees who have avoided the doctor's office and stopped taking prescription drugs because of the cost. I understand the need to manage costs, but the changes went too far. Seeing the "helping people on their path to better health" commercials is just upsetting in light of what this company has done to its own employees.

Hiring happens at a snail's pace. If an employee leaves, it will take forever to get the position approved. If you want to open a new position, good luck! The actual hiring process takes forever and positions can be placed on hold while you are already in the interview process. In a lot of cases, we've lost good candidates because we're so slow to make an offer.

And when a new person is hired, expect them to make a higher salary than those who have been loyal to the company for years. At one point, I had to refuse to make an offer because HR was forcing me to offer a candidate a salary that was significantly higher than that of my highest performing employees. If you are a loyal employee, you will be rewarded with 2-3% raises each year while new people are hired in at much higher salaries.

HR makes it almost impossible to fire someone. If you manager made a bad hire, expect them to be around for a very long time. Unless they assault a coworker or steal from the company, they're not going anywhere.

Advice to Management

Show that you value your employees by rewarding loyalty and ensuring that employees have a life outside of the company and can take care of their health. Stop paying lip service and actually do it.

7. Great Experiences/Learning Enviornment

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician Trainee in Broken Arrow, OK
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician Trainee in Broken Arrow, OK

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As soon as I was hired I was immediately taught the ropes. All my managers were dedicated to helping me and the pharmacist was always available to answer my questions.

Cons

Its taken awhile for me to get a solid schedule. They just text/call me when I need to work

Advice to Management

Better scheduling management

8. Store Manager

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Scottsdale Ranch, AZ
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Scottsdale Ranch, AZ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Learn to work with a little help from team

Cons

Labor hours not realistic to complete the job

9. Benefits Verification Specialist

Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Mount Prospect, IL
    Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Mount Prospect, IL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, hardworking coworkers, and easy work to learn in a quick span of time

Cons

Fixed timings, little pay, lots of workload and then hours of nothing.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Robertsdale, AL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Robertsdale, AL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many left, used to be a good place to work. Not anymore. Too much work, not enough time.

Cons

Overworked, under payed, unrealistic expectations for weekly labor hours.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the great people you are losing while trying to cut corners. Passionate managers are hard to find, but we can only take so much before we give up.

11. Amazing!

Former Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, great coworkers, great experience, learning always

Cons

only two people on shift

Advice to Management

more hours to the stores would help, more staff on shift