CVS Health

3,455 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,281 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

Retail Pharmacy

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, definitely a team environment. Everyone has their role and id crucial to the daily jobs

Cons

there is always something going on and you are constantly busy

A year of hell.

Former Employee - RFP in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - RFP in Northbrook, IL

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is near the tollway.

Cons

Too many hours, not enough pay.

Quit while you can.

pharmacist

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

management is hands on and you learn a lot

Cons

lean work flow. too much work and makes it unsafe

working for 5 months, its ok for now

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Good pharmacist helpful and friendly and easy to get along

Cons

pay is ok, considering asking for raise but not sure how

If you have a family, forget it.

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are single and don't have a life outside of work. This might be a job for you.

Cons

-Forget about seeing or spending time with your family.
    -Below average compensation for a store manager
    -"You get treated as a number, not a person." Quoted from a store manager who has been with the company for more than 15 years.

There are reasons why CVS is no longer the No. 1 Pharmacy retail chain in the nation.

I am a pharmacy manager

Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, many avenues for climbing the company ladder, stock is doing great in a mediocre economy, and great benefits.

Cons

As a manager the pay isn't that much better than a staff pharmacist; it definitely doesn't compensate for the added time and responsibility. They staff like a public company... as little as possible because it directly affects the bottom line. Long days, I work 14 hour days all the time.

I know you are driven by EPS and stock performance, but WORK IN A BUSY PHARMACY FOR A COUPLE DAYS to see how stressful the work can be and how disrespectful the customers can be. Staff the pharmacy so that we can provide great customer service. Don't staff like Wal-mart.

Consistently Understaffed and Undervalued

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed my coworkers, we had to stick together or go insane! Working in a small town where the CVS was the large luxury retailer made for some amusing moments and customer interactions. The company itself has nothing to offer.

Cons

The store was consistently understaffed! Two people opening and two closing with just enough time for a lunch overlap and by that I mean if you were closing you were taking your break 2.5 hours into your shift. You are required to keep the store neat, clean, presentable, fully stocked, while helping your customers, completing inventory/ management tasks, and being the register back up. Your co-worker has to be parked at the register to answer the phone, work photo and check in vendors if they don't have any customers. The parking lot needs to be clean and presentable at all times.

This was the worst job I have ever had!!! You don't stop, customers are consistently upset, vendors don't want to wait to be checked in because there are only 2 people working and half a dozen people waiting to pay. The pharmacy is also usually understaffed. You spend a lot of time running around, trying to clean up and keep things stocked, but when it's one person recovering and stocking the entire store it is very overwhelming. Your weekends are spent taking down over a thousand signs on Saturday night (heaven forbid you leave one up) and putting up over a thousand on Sunday morning. The only day you have anything that amounts to a full staff is your store truck/ delivery day. You work 40 hours a week and it's never enough, you usually end up working a few hours off the clock to support your co-workers. Management works a 65+ hour week and are scolded for not caring enough. In my area managers took every other weekend off which resulted in fun 7 day stretches on a regular basis... Seriously, I got into a huge argument with my GM because as her salaried assistant (regularly scheduled for 45 hours but generally worked closer to 55) I did not want to do this. The pay week runs Sunday to Saturday, I would have preferred a day off every couple of days to keep from going mad.

They talk a good game, but in the end are only concerned with profits and increasing that bottom line! It's all about getting your numbers in line, metrics and looking good on paper.

District managers should be required to work in their worst performing store for 2 weeks every couple of years. If you honestly had any idea how ridiculous and completely unsustainable your labor model is, you might actually have something of value to offer your store managers when you come for your 'VISIT'.

Cvs

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company opportunities to move up

Cons

A lot of hours

Good benefits. Good pay. Bad CEO. Bad resources. No incentives.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Good Pay
    - Great benefits. Offer 401k 5% match
    - Overall job tasks simple
    - Great company to work for through school. (Very flexible)
    - Fast training for new employees
    - Work-Life balance good until you become a Store Manager.

Cons

- CEO : ( His bonus has been increasing yearly since his takeover, yet in store hours have been slashed significantly every year)

- Hour Cuts : Since the removal of tobacco making a schedule to comfortably run the store has become a major challenge as hours have been cut upward of 80 per week. This means less employees which yields worse customer service scores and makes completing simple no-brainer tasks such as taking a mandatory 30 min break per employee nearly impossible every day. (with that said, I don't recall the last time I actually sat down for a 30 minute break since the cigarette's went out of the stores)
    What I find funny is even though the hour cuts, stores are still forced to open 365 days a year. All major holidays.

- Ancient Technology : The computer system is extremely out dated and running on computers and software that would have seem acceptable in the 90's. Specific office tasks take up huge binder space and waste tons of paper a week. These tasks could all be simply done on programs such as excel to save time looking through 10lbs binders and drawers of files with what seems to be pointless information.

- No incentive / Opportunities : There is a bonus you can work towards but over the past few years they just keep making it more and more difficult to achieve anything great. Weekly budgets have been sky rocketing to barley reachable amounts. Outdated machines such as photo takes away at our budget for repairs almost weekly. Less hours means less employees which yields bad customer service scores. Each store gets rated on this and by the end of the year this also affects the bonus pool.
    Once you become a Store Manager there really is no further advancement anytime soon. I've been for the company for a few years now and whoever I witness become a Store Manager has either left the company or is still a Store Manager. At most you may get a larger volume store but the "Stuck" feeling is definitely present.
    With that being said, the Assistant Manager position is quite comfortable especially since it's hourly, compared to Store Manager's... who input vacation days they earned in order not to go over weekly hours or spend 60 hours in the store a week to not even see a decent quarterly bonus like most companies do.

Corporate is completely out of touch with reality and ignoring the warning signs

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are some great coworkers and wonderful customers

Cons

CVS does not care about its employees, especially store managers. I was short staffed and received no help. I was compelled to work 40 days with 2 double shifts a week. They finally sent me help when I wound up in the emergency room. They told me they thought I liked working lots of hours. I can't understand why, having always been in good standing. managers with minimal hours (75 percent of all stores) are expected to accomplish everything with the help of a cashier, who spends 3/4 of their time at the register and are not allowed to go very far from the register. The DMs are not supportive and tell you that you are not leading and motivating your staff when you get behind. Good work is not acknowledged, but flaws are quickly addressed. If you have mostly new employees you are caught in a never ending cycle since you are only allowed 12 hours for training, 8 of which are a class. It takes even the most seasoned manager 6 months to fully train a shift. So you work 80 hour weeks trying to pick up the slack and get in some training, but it is nearly impossible since you don't have any strong staff to help you There is also no team spirit amongst the managers because they can't afford to help each other because they too are being squeezed

You say that CVS is all about getting people on the path to better health, but what about your employees? To say that managers are over worked is an understatement. The DM response to burn out is "I don't want to hear that. You need to hold your staff accountable." How can you hold a cashier accountable for a planogram or other task, when she spends 3/4 of her time at the register, offering help, escorting customers, and answering the phone? How do you expect a store manager and shifts to do 3/4 of the floor work, give excellent customer service, do all the office work, and keep the staff happy and motivated? I don't know any managers that work less than 65 hour weeks. Recently senior execs complained that shelves in the busiest district in the area were not fully stocked. Did they consider that hours had been cut dramatically and management was spending even more time at the register to make up for the lost cashier hours, so there were fewer hours for stocking? No, the response is to give us a planning tool to write an unrealistic plan on, which can be done only if the store manager takes on the extra hours, as I did. Managers routinely put in an extra 20 hours on top of their 60 before a visit to get it done so that they don't get slammed and lose their jobs. Cutting hours and overworking all your fine managers is not the solution. You need some time out of your towers. I think that senior management needs to work in a minimum hour store as the second of 2 employees, to fully understand the impact of their decisions. There are many stores without managers in my area and I have just resigned so another goes on the list. I gave CVS my absolute best and am now going to try to retrieve my family and friends, which I was compelled to forsake for the good of CVS. When Tom was in charge CVS cared about its employees, the grunts that get the work done and make your pay and bonuses possible It seems that Larry only cares about the stock price and his obscenely high compensation. Fortunately, the job market has improved and the excellent managers that you burn out will be able to move on.