CVS Health

3,331 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,234 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 63 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at CVS Health (more than 8 years)

Pros

Something different everyday. Managing a 24hr store. The crew I worked with was also great. Having a busy store you meet interesting people from all walks of life. Thats pretty much it. Strong stock pretty much from the pharmacy business but as far as front store most stores have hit there ceiling, which is part of the reason they are opening up more stores for expansion. In the end good company to start retail in, but to be a manager for more than three years here is a stretch.

Cons

Hours, upper level management,loss prevention. Too many chiefs with different agendas. Forget about a life, even when you have a team set up, the way the budget is set up you will never have enough help when needed. Cashier positioning tool calls for 300 more hours than allotted. DM often doesn't leave you alone and run your store. Also to compensate for lack of payroll often work 7 days a week.Pay is decent if you are truly working a 45 hr work week.

Learn that it takes money to make money, and stop running the company like you only have 20 stores.

Does not care about employees or customers as much as they let on

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can be a good place to gain experience and can move up within the company quickly if you work hard.

Cons

They expect way too much of your life for little compensation. They care very little about employee retention or salary even though that is a key aspect of satisfying customers.

Practice what you preach and offer more "caring" for employees to ensure great customer service

Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable company. Decent pay. Many locations to choose from if you decide to move. ....and that's about it. Not much else good to say about the place.

Cons

Where do I begin? A prior review put it best. You are a manager on paper. Be prepared to work like a dog. The workload grows and grows and It's all on you to get done. 24 hour stores have hours and you'll be in a better spot, but most stores are "minimum hour" stores, which means it's one staff person and one manager at all times. You work under constant threat of documentation "write ups" and separation "termination" when things don't get completed on time, or if store doesn't collect enough emails, or if your customer service scores aren't perfect. A truly miseable work environment. Training doesn't exist here, and in 8 years, never seen not one person move in to upper management. The technology you use in the office is staight out of the eighties. If you hold a manager position now, you will be dumbed down coming here. The DM's like to micro-manage you.

Opportunity

Current Employee - Store Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Store Assistant Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

competitive salary. working with people.

Cons

as an assistant you are the manager without the title or the pay.you are responsible for everything regardles of whether its front store or pharmacy. You get blamed for everything. they're giving you less and less time to manage. You are becoming a glorified cashier.in order to be successful you must drink the Kool Aid. I used to think this company cares about its employees but I see less and less of that happening every day. They put more on your plate and less time to do it.you are open every single day of the year whether it's Christmas Thanksgiving or snow storm.

get real. It's almost like none of you have ever worked at a store level. You think everything is an excuse instead of just a reason why. we must have a corporate presence in front of you like you are gods.

Did an online application over a week ago. I haven't heard from anyone yet. Hope to hear something soon.

Current Employee - Cashier At Cvs in Longwood, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier At Cvs in Longwood, FL

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

The online application was easy. I'm not sure about the interview process or how it works.

Cons

Wish the turn around time for an interview was faster.

Store Manager

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for the company for three years. I started as an assistant then got promoted as a store manager. The pay is good. They give a decent amount of vacation time.

Cons

No support from upper management. Each year you lose more hours to run the store so I have to work in a store alone even though its against company policy.

horrible company

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Reading, MA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Reading, MA

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people there are friendly coworkers, sometimes you will get friendly customers. Hours can be flexible. You can request a day off with a two week notice.

Cons

There is poor management, high turnover, and tech hours are cut. Corporate is very crazy about numbers and rating, which makes job very stressful. This also affects customer service when we are severely short staffed...

Overworked

Current Employee - Planner
    Current Employee - Planner

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Pay is decent, room for growing and good bonuses

Cons

Overworked, a lot of hours and too many responsabilities, positions not truly defined and neither are career paths, BIG people turnover

Focus on the people in order to get your return and hold people accountable, it should be a fair share not some more overloaded than others

retail hell

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

non retail is bad no matter where you work cvs is very good at making your life a living hell

Cons

see above comment its bad in the pharmacy its bad upfront

follow costco's lead everyone wins in the end so what if the execs can't get a new G4 this year

Too Corporate, not patient focus

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The potential to learn a lot about specialty care
    Patients are far more gracious and appreciative in specialty versus regular retail
    Some flexibility allowed for school
    The pharmacists that I worked with were great and always allowed me to pick their brains

Cons

No work life balance
    Advancement not based on skill or knowledge
    Rats
    No proper training
    The technology needs to be updated

Allow those who are more passionate and have more to offer the patients than those that have seniority. Some employee do actually care about the patients and learning more about their care, in spite of what the popular belief may be.