CVS Health Reviews

Reset
2.9
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

Stay Away for your own good.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Providence, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Neighborhood store with many regulars and staff the usually consists of local community people.

Cons

It's just an awful company that cuts every penny from their employees but then tells us it's not worth checking a price for a customer just change it for them because it may cause a line and besides it only a couple bucks. Then during your yearly review you got a nice 2.5% raise coming to save on expenses. Every company tries to save money CVS just does it to a different level.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with your staff, stop announcing visits and surprise stores to get an actual idea of what the store is like.

Not for the Weak

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

A variety of challenging work. Good experience for the resume. If you do well here, you can be confident that you can tackle anything. Pay is good. If you do good work and deliver on time, you aren't micromanaged and are left alone to do the job for the most part.

Cons

Multiple and frequent reorganizations, so be prepared to work for who you never expected to. (Sometimes for someone you've had conflicts before because you were working in different areas and the work environment creates these conflict.) Senior management doesn't seem to have a strategy that they can stick with for more than a year, so don't get too comfortable. Politically charged, and upper management is usually in CYA mode. Nobody feels very secure in their job, whether that's reality or not. Churn from the bottom to the top is high. Be careful who you trust, because I've seen too many cases where people get thrown under the bus, often undeservedly, which is a shame because there are many really good senior staff and managers. Unfortunately, they're often the ones who either transfer or leave the company. Adversarial relationships with many coworkers and managers are common, both within the same general area, as well as with different groups - due to stress from being overworked and understaffed, and the way we operate. Health benefits are ironically not good at all. If you don't keep things in perspective and manage your stress, it can be overwhelming. Very lean operation. We're succeeding and are profitable in spite of ourselves, and could be so much better if some changes were made. I suspect communication to upper management of what's happening at the lower levels and within the company is being filtered out, distorted, miscommunicated or misunderstood. Depending on where you work, there can be very long hours, and after hours/weekend work. Senior management is out of touch and they fear for their jobs as well. Arrogance seems to pay off. Currently, morale across the board is pretty low, and seem to be in survival mode. Fortunately a lot of people try to have a sense of humor with the chaos and workload.

Advice to Management

Care about the happiness of the employees, at least the ones who perform and deliver. Don't resist change and be open to doing things differently, sometimes dramatically so. Loyalty to employees and coworkers will go a long way. There's a lot of very capable staff that are working very hard, trying to do the right thing, but are exhausted from being ignored and nothing changing. Until someone else comes along (sometimes an outside vendor/consultant/service), proposes the same thing and is acted on. It's demoralizing.

Internal audit

Former Employee - Internal Audit in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Internal Audit in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leniency of working hours, pay is not bad, managers are easy going and pretty easy to work with and understanding

Cons

The healthcare is awful, the worse health insurance I have ever seen. Need to give sick days because everyone comes in sick and not wanting to use vaca time to stay home

5. Store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Importance of customer service, the staff, the benifits, practices

Cons

Not enough hours given to staff to the needs of the store, no home life everything revolved around CVS needs, never got to take my vacation & it's like they didn't care, nothing was ever good enough no matter what you did or how many hours you put in

Advice to Management

Look elsewhere this company only cares about CVS they drag their GM's through hell and back and don't care to either.

6. Great environment for new PMs

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in South Kingstown, RI
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in South Kingstown, RI

I worked at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities in different areas of the business. Organizational assets in place to support the project manager include policies and procedures to foster engagement.

Cons

Some non value add processes can be overbearing. Things don't move fast and there are a lot of projects going on at once with many different stakeholders. It can be a challenge to get the resources you need to get your projects done.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Innovate and grow.

Inventory Planner

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and bonuses are slightly above average. Very top heavy company, so plenty of opportunity to become one of dozens and dozens of senior managers.

Cons

Work life balance is abysmal. Positions go unfilled for long periods of time while already over worked people cover. Shameful practice that has become commonplace. Very top heavy company with treacherous political environment at the HQ. Overall awful company to work for.

I Love My Store

Current Employee - Photo Lab Supervisor in North Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Photo Lab Supervisor in North Smithfield, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pros for me are that I work with good people within the store. We have a solid team and only rarely do we have issues with staff.

Cons

Unfortunately CVS does not pay well. Management only gets paid a few dollars above minimum wage (excluding the store manager). Corporate expects too much out of store workers for too little pay.

Advice to Management

Management is doing great, it's the people at corporate that need to have their eyes opened.

9. Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong company with bright future. Positioned as a Healthcare company, not just a retailer of front end sales and retail pharmacy

Cons

Many layers of management sometimes make approvals harder to obtain, support staff and resources to perform at a high level are stretched thin

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the complexities of executing at a high level by providing management with enough manpower and resources to succeed

Highly political atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for CVS Health for seven years, two different departments and four diffent managers during my time there. I loved three out those four, they truly cared about me as a person.

Cons

Upper management (directors, department vp's) will only take care of themselves. My team had a new VP come in, he wanted to "shake things up", and ended up "eliminating" five positions, all hard workers replaced with dummies based on where their degree was from.

Advice to Management

Loosen up and value your colleagues more than your bottom line!

11. Great Culture, Exciting Responsibilities, Much Work.

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Very smart people: MBAs, former top-tier consultants. Great brand and company mission. Many career opportunities.

Cons

Work-life balance in leadership is weighted heavily with work.

Advice to Management

Work-Life balance must be emulated by leadership.

Showing 152 of 5,061 reviews