CVS Health Reviews

1. Merchandising

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaries are very competitive. The company takes itself seriously as a pharmacy innovation leader and there is interesting work being done. Healthy meals offered on campus and a MinuteClinic on site really feels like there's a focus on health, which I appreciate. I work "normal" hours and have rarely felt pressured to work long hours. Town Halls held quarterly are a great way to stay updated on the state of the business. I really care for the success of CVS Health!

Cons

Little data analysis goes into making business decisions worth millions of dollars. It's surprising what passes for data here. There's also very little thought given to developing talent from the bottom up -- external candidates are considered before they promote an internal candidate based on potential. The concept of rising to the challenge and "on the job learning" is not a thing here -- if you haven't done the job before, odds are you won't be considered for it. Management is adapting extremely slowly to Millennials' needs and they will pass on talented people if they don't adapt. Work from home is an underground arrangement with supervisor and shouldn't be counted on. Timelines are incredibly long and projects are often killed on the vine. It will take you literally weeks just to get the face time with senior management required to make a decision, and every decision needs to be made/vetted by sr. leadership. Depending on where you are in your career, you will either grow very quickly, or feel stagnant. Would not recommend Merchandising for anyone with under 5 years of work experience under their belt.

Advice to Management

Focus on growing talent internally instead of hiring externally for every new role. You have done such a great job attracting top talent from all over the country, and you spend so much money to have us here, but you forget that we're driven and overachievers and want a challenge. Build us up to the challenge, believe that we can do the job and support us through it, and we will be loyal colleagues. We need to see growth opportunities within the department, especially at lower levels.

2. IT... Stay away

Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In IT, not any really. People are in cya mode all of the time. Constant back stabbing.

Cons

Management is horrible. Unorganized. Only worried about how they look outside of IT. Understaffed. Chasing people out left and right. Won't spend money. Old technology and slow to implement new.

Advice to Management

You only care about bottom line and are willing to burn through people. Whatever you might think about how bad things may seem, they are 100 times worse. If you looked into the weeds, you won't like what you aee.

Fast paced digital environment

Current Employee - Consultant in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Consultant in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative, collaborative and fast paced team building with lot of scope for career development.

Cons

{Location} Woonsocket - This city has nothing to offer other than having a farmers market, small time pub and vintage 60's look

Vice President Talent Acquisition

Current Employee - Vice President TA in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Vice President TA in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enthusiastic, proactive can-do spirit, combined with loads of outstanding talent all working toward a common purpose! Knowing what we do actually helps people on their path to better health.

Cons

Learning the intricacies of such a dynamic and multifaceted organization - integrating the worlds of Retail, Retail Pharmacy, Pharmacy Benefits Management, Minute-Clinic, and Specialty/Infusion services... Very sophisticated business model.

Advice to Management

Continue to be innovative, encourage our teams by celebrating both success and failing fast and cheap. Continue to grow talent through multiple channels - making strategic investments in our future.

6. Hiring Agent / Recruiting Coordinator

Current Employee - Hiring Agent/Recruiting Coordinator in Lincoln, RI
    Current Employee - Hiring Agent/Recruiting Coordinator in Lincoln, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company culture with good opportunities.

Cons

Technology is not up to speed

Zipcode management at its finest.

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Money hides a lot of issues.

Cons

Leadership is focused on zipcode management, you must live in the" zipcode" to be in management.

Advice to Management

Don't wait till the stock price falls before you realize you are losing your best asset - human capital.

8. A company to be desired. I want to love it, but I cant

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Opportunity, flexibility, forward thinking, management pay, challenging, health savings account, matching 401k

Cons

Can be excessively challenging, store level favoritism, tight store hours, bad insurance, lack of training

Advice to Management

Please please please train your people, after 1 year I've seen 4 DMs, 11store managers and countless employees turn over just because they have no idea what to do.

Excellent company to work for!

Current Employee - IS Senior Applications Developer in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - IS Senior Applications Developer in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It may only be because I have such a great manager, but in my opinion it doesn't get much better than CVS. Base pay is excellent--bonuses and stock options are outstanding. Expectations and hours are reasonable, which is rare in the IT world.

Cons

Healthcare plans have gotten progressively worse over the past several years. Also there's WAY more red tape than is absolutely necessary.

Advice to Management

CVS does a great job in making sure its employees feel valued and it does a lot to retain its employees. However, not all employees need to be retained. My advice would be to continue putting effort into retaining the top talent but to also put some effort into culling out some of those who aren't contributing. Also, for those who are contributing, the policy against permanently working remotely should be lifted. In this way we'll be able to attract and retain the top talent, regardless of where they are located.

10. No sick days

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Competitive pay, the corporate office is nice, lots of smart employees to learn from. The company is doing well financially.

Cons

If you are sick you are required to use a vacation day. They won't even allow you to work from home when sick. The benefits are poor, tuition reimbursement is lower than competitors.

Advice to Management

Fix the benefit package.

IT

Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

lot of technologies to work, good exposure

Cons

not much infrastructure, still using old technologies

Showing 152 of 5,048 reviews