CVS Health

3,662 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,352 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

105 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's a good place to work.

Current Employee - Client Benefits Specialist in Lincoln, RI
    Current Employee - Client Benefits Specialist in Lincoln, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are friendly colleagues to work with.

Cons

The compensation could be better.

Decent place to work. It all depends on the group you are with.

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable Job. Depending on the group there is flexibilty to work from home. All colleagues were helpful and were good with sharing information

Cons

work you to the bone. Mid managers can be overwhelmed with work, which means you will be overwhelmed with work. Very seldom do you get a "job well done"

Hope to STAY at CVS

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, bonus, experience, opportunity to learn and grow. They take employee engagement seriously.

I have a great boss today (can't always say that has been true). Good bosses help make all the difference.

If you don't like where you are or are looking to learn something new, you can always move to another department or group. This company is so large, there's always opportunities to continue to learn and grow.

Cons

I'll start by saying I LOVE CVS and while I have worked here long enough to be able to document quite a few cons... none of this makes me appreciate the company any less. There are things in any company that could be improved. CVS seems to be dedicated to improve and continues to put a high degree of focus on their employee engagement scores and improving things. Here are some of the areas I have listed as cons:

Recent lowering of bonus % through 'harmonization' made the bonus program less competitive and could cost great candidates.

Being here at CVS for over seven years, I have had about nine different supervisors. There's alot of re-organization that happens on the IT side. That can be a real negative, since it takes time to build a relationship with your supervisor and help move your career along. If you keep getting reorg'd it's easy to get lost and frustrated with a lack of promotion / advancement, especially in the very large IT structure.

The number of females and ethic people at the VP / Sr. VP level is not nearly where it should be. There's a way to go there, although they are improving with recent promotions of women at the upper management positions. Need to keep focusing on diversity. It's painful to keep seeing great candidates overlooked for forty to fifty-something white men with less talent.

Promotion from within could be better... many times we get a new exec that brings a big list of people from their former company. More recently with CIO / CTO and VP of Programs all coming from Avaya have had an influx of people from Avaya taking over top spots under them. It's very de-motivating for those who worked at CVS and are worthy and deserving of those positions to be overlooked as they continue to bring in new people.

I agree with others that middle-management really needs training / improvement. I have only had one really good manager who could motivate people and really make individuals feel appreciated. The other eight or sp were not good managers at all. Since I was self-motivated, I made the best of it, but I could see some individuals become very apathetic and service suffered.

Keep up the good work with Values in Action. Harmonization, lowering % of bonus dollars was a real negative. The competitive bonus program became much less so and may cost you some great candidates.

Do some training at the management levels. Their behavior can make the difference in productivity and performance of your employees and can also contribute to turnover.

Promote more from within - put some goals around it to Management. Make it known that qualified individuals will be able to climb the ladder.

I'm sure there are good places in here to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunity. Many places to find a home. Work at home policy is good.

Cons

If you get in with a bad group... It's gonna sink you. 15 days off, with 3 days more at 18 years, REALLY?!? I have seen some managers who really have no clue as to how to manage or motivate people. They have tended to be extremely dismissive and condescending

Get rid of toxic management

Great place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company has great benefits. Once you start here and find the right department you will probably never leave. Try to find a mentor to help lead you.

Cons

Once you get in the company it can be hard to move up. Network - and don't give up keep trying. You will find your way.

It would be nice to have a gym.

cvs was a good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nice employee discount
    stock options were great
    no limit on sick time
    nice coworkers
    there is a great cafeteria at the corporate office

Cons

lag in technology to limit employee efficiency
    no limit on sick time could be a con for those who take advantage of it
    need more vacation time so that employees take less sick time.

pay attention to technology that would allow employees to be more efficient

Not Competitive

Current Employee - Account Manager in Lincoln, RI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Lincoln, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Able to work from, small compensation for lack of salary

Cons

Salaries are not competitive based on work load

cC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, RI

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

the benefit that are given are good

Cons

always short help in the pharmacy under constant pressure to work harder.

more help and better pay to the employees .

JOb security

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Job security is great and knowledgeable work force

Cons

Low pay and location. The location is located in remote place of Rhode island.

Low risk low reward

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is good job safety in IT sector. Working hours are flexible. Nice bonus payments when the company is doing good.

Cons

Career growth opportunities are less. Most colleagues I have seen are safe players and don't take up challenging tasks. Not a technology savvy company. Will be atleast 2 software versions behind market.