Cabarrus County Schools

Updated October 7, 2014
Updated October 7, 2014
3.4

CEO

It was a very delightful experience and I enjoyed working with everyone and the knowledge they pass down to me.

Former Employee - Finance Department Intern in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - Finance Department Intern in Concord, NC

I worked at Cabarrus County Schools as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Have Holidays off. Work and people was a pleasant experience. Atmosphere was pleasant and warm.

Cons

In a remote part of town. Training could have been more in depth considering I was already exposed to personal information

Enjoyed working for the school system.

I worked at Cabarrus County Schools

Pros

Enjoyed watching the children learn and teaching them.

Cons

The county had so many cuts to the education system and employees. .

Teachers work really hard and a lot of them use their own money for supplies. Students pay a fee at the beginning of school, but provide their own supplies, and there are no books.

Regulated to negate creativity

Current Employee - Teacher in Midland, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher in Midland, NC

I have been working at Cabarrus County Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent teacher pay for the area, staff are nice and friendly, most parents are involved

Cons

teachers are told how to teach and not allowed much leeway in their methods. New teachers' mentor program is not effective - mostly paperwork to fill out and not helpful.

Shore up the mentor programs and make sure they are being implemented and not just signed off

Fruit Prep/Server

Former Employee - Fruit Prep/Server in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - Fruit Prep/Server in Concord, NC

I worked at Cabarrus County Schools part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

working with elementary children serving lunch, preparing fruit daily. Hourly pay was good. Training was very easy. Time off policy was the second best quality of the job. We got all school holidays off paid including Christmas/Spring breaks & off Summers but without pay. It was always fun going back at the end of Summer to start a new school year. I'd love to be lucky enough to work at a Public Elementary School again. It was a lot of hard work but also fun.

Cons

Being able each day to prepare fruit (fresh, canned & Specialty) for 600 - 700 children per day. Having to do this plus other jobs within a 5 hour time frame. I took pride in my job of preparing fruit. Cleanliness is of great importance. Cleaning & keeping everything clean was a big part of this job.

One of NC's best school systems.

Former Employee - Teacher in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - Teacher in Concord, NC

I worked at Cabarrus County Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was able to do my job with the helpful support of my administrators & colleagues.

Cons

Current NC legislation is ruining the profession of teaching & Common Core implementation was a nightmare! Poor planning on the part of county officials caused confusion & unpreparedness for teachers who had to adapt very quickly to new standards.

Dont' Trust Anyone!

Former Employee - Clerical in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - Clerical in Concord, NC

I worked at Cabarrus County Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers and kindness of some staff members.

Cons

I was employed 15 years and was laid off, reason being 1 part of job eliminated, since it has only been 3 years there has been 3 people hired in that department! How does this happen to someone went to work everyday on time, helped other departments when needed! To this day, don't understand! FYI, 5 more years could of retired!

Have answers to any of this Dr. Shepherd? Didn't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great experience for beginning teacher

I have been working at Cabarrus County Schools

Pros

Small district with a lot of resources.

Cons

Some schools could use more staff members.

I rate Cabarrus County Schools as mostly average to below average.

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Cabarrus County Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed teaching the elementary kids, but not the middle and high school students. I was an itinerant teacher for 7 years and got to know a lot of the schools in this system. The student population is mostly homogeneous, making them easier to teach.

Cons

I learned rather soon that a large percentage of teachers and administrators in this system graduated from this system. They all seemed to have known each other their entire lives. They were clickish and tended to have a hokey-pokey view of the world and seemed to be wary of outsiders. A lot of the faculty would not speak to you. Sports, band and chorus get a lot of attention in this school system. Academics were fairly average. Discipline in the inner city schools (Concord) is lacking and dependent on your family background. If a family is known in this town, principals seem to be afraid to discipline fairly.

Hire teachers of different backgrounds. Work on academics.

Good schools, good kids.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Cabarrus County Schools full-time

Pros

Smaller, provides more resources to teachers, less red tape than a large county

Cons

Tied to state budget so salary cannot increase.

Na

Overall supportive working environment

Current Employee - Teacher in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher in Concord, NC

I have been working at Cabarrus County Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Supportive coworkers and compensated for experience.

Cons

Administration (school and district level) are out of touch with the teachers world.

Spend more time in classrooms and examine the time demands and unproductive meetings teachers must attend.