Cabela's

Cabela's Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner

Thomas L. Millner

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is pretty good too and it's tiered based on seniority"
    in 21 reviews
  • "It was a fun work place to just go and talk about hunting fishing and camping"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you work in the warehouse you'll have some fairly steady hours, otherwise you'll have a pretty bad work-life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "In fact, if you're part time then you will have a much much easier having a set schedule than a full timer"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good overall.

Statistician (Current Employee)

ProsEasy going stress free lif style

ConsNot a lot to do inthis small community ( Sidney Corpoart)

Exciting and enlightening!!

Retail Outfitter (Current Employee)
    South Charleston, WV

ProsCabelas really cares about it's employees and customers in a way that I've never experienced before in retail! I've worked for a few retail companies and in the health care industry and have not seen the kind of kindness and professionalism that I've had at Cabelas. It was a downgrade for me in jobs and pay, so I was kind of embarrassed about working in retail at first. After my experiences at Cabelas I am proud to say I work there, and very happy to be an employee. Most companies are so concerned about making money, and I truly believe that Cabelas is more concerned about keeping customers happy because that's how they make money and keep loyal customers. There are very good incentives and discounts also!! All in all, I'm very excited about my job!!

ConsEvery job or any situation for that matter has cons, but so far at Cabelas, I have yet to be disappointed about anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!! You're a great group of people always looking for ways to improve on the company and the experience of the customer and employees.

Fun atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers, environment, and fun events

ConsManagement plays favorites. Hardworking associates can be stuck in a department when they deserve to be promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to have balance between work life and home life.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hoffman Location lost it's morale. People Leave because of Managers, not the Company.

(Former Employee)
    Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsRetail Discount, 3point5, promotive.com. Great staff... And by far the best break room ever thanks to a former manager. It's also fun to be around the best products every day!

ConsGreat Lakes Region fell apart By replacing great managers with GMIT's. HR is not approachable and has very little contact with outfitters. Outfitters feel they have no one to go to regarding HR matters. Leadership in Hoffman location is run in a military fashion. Upper management never shows up for worked schedule, and/or sits in office all day. Morale, earn outfitters trust, recognize for hard work. All of the above mentioned made it a great place to work. Why did that have to change? The outfitters provided extraordinary customer service! Cabela's is a great company, but too often people leave due to managers. Leadership is all about 2 things.. 1-TAKING CARE OF THE EMPLOYEES and 2-TAKING CARE OF THE CUSTOMERS... This GM doesn't do either! Department Managers work really hard. Sr. Managers are doing what they need to do to survive this wave! Very sad to leave the store because the company is overall great, they just need to have more of a 360degree management review process so they can hear the truth about upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers and leads... Keep your heads up and tread water as long as you can. This is not the standard for good leadership and would hope not the expectation on the company.

What a mess......

Outfitter (Current Employee)
    Rogers, MN

ProsPoeple, Discount isnt too bad, customers.

ConsSenior Management only cares about their next promotion, then wont be there to pick up the pieces down the road. I have worked at cabelas for over 6 years, and have watched it get worse with every new GM. Now today, mainly due to sales being down..ie far less guns sales than last year, no sandy hook shooting this year. And need to makes numbers look good to corporate, over 10 peoples jobs were eliminated, so they were let go, and a lot more than that were told their fulltime status was turning into p/t or if they refused the p/t they were told their position was being eliminated.....and this was based soley off seniority...nice...at least the rogers, mn store is left with a few good employees, but not too many....but they "appreciate everything we do each and everyday" oh wait, thats just what they told us at every morning meeting......

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage, hold people accountable, quit hiring people you used to work with, way too much nepotism there. Quit micromanaging everything.....

They treat you like a high schooler

Outfitter Level III (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

Prosthe products they sell are fantastic. the environment is nice. You meet interesting customers.

ConsThere is a glass ceiling and no room for advancement unless you are a part of the good ole boy system. Also poor sr. management

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the hardline manager and operation manager

Terrible Local Management in Hoffman Estates

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are an avid outdoors person (hunting, fishing, etc.) it's like being let loose in a candy store

ConsManagement is terrible - demeaning, incompetent in its handling of management functions such as scheduling, employee retention, employee motivation. GM and Asst. GM rally the tropps by reading spreadsheets to them. If sales are down, store management blames the rank and file for not pushing product hard enough. There are also too many money- making gimmicks such as credit cards, product insurance, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of retaining employees that are working hard. You don't deserve them based on your own performance.

My personal experience has been pleasant, but I have heard my share of horror stories.

Replenishment Driver (Current Employee)
    Prairie du Chien, WI

ProsThe pay is decent. In many cases, there is eventual opportunity for good benefits and promotion. And for outdoor enthusiasts, there is an employee discount, which becomes more generous the longer you work there.

ConsManagement can be petty, sneaky, and incompetent. Not in all cases, of course, but numerous times I have heard employees complain about management being sneaky, lazy, and abusive of their power.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have earned a position in management, good for you. You probably worked hard to earn it. But remember, management, in reality, is not that glorified of a position. You are there to serve, guide, and improve the company in any way you can. Be honest with employees, earn their trust. Learn about each of their personalities and what motivates them. Do not see your higher-up position as a license to boss people around, sit in your office and work less, or deceive those below you. You may not lose your job for behaving this way, but the morale and productivity of your staff will fall well short of its potential.

Rewarding besides the leadership team in the Great Lakes Region. They are a bunch of idiots.

Asset Protection Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLots of freedom, great vacation flexibility, salary commensurate with job.

Conspoor leadership, making hiring & human resources decisions based on race and gender to improve company diversity.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are right and wrong ways to go about being a more diverse work environment. You are going about it the WRONG way. When the CEO states at the national sales meeting "I demand we be more diverse" it doesn't send the right message.

Excellent Culture. Very committed to the outdoor lifestyle. Too aggressive for growth given their current state

ProsCulture, Atmosphere, Customer engagement, and commitment to the employee

ConsVery growth driven, without capital which leads to cutting expenses the wrong way. Merchandising is one size fits all concept. This must be addressed if continued growth in different climate zones is expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the talents of your people as individuals, and how they can contribute to the company as a whole. Listen to feedback and take action. Become more Localized in product assortment.

Worked for Cabela's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cabela's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cabela's CEO Thomas L. Millner. All 196 reviews posted anonymously by Cabela's employees.