Cabela's

Cabela's Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner

Thomas L. Millner

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is pretty good too and it's tiered based on seniority"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Great co-workers, good customers, always learn new products before they come out"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you work in the warehouse you'll have some fairly steady hours, otherwise you'll have a pretty bad work-life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The ability to convince customers to sign up for a company credit card trumps all other individual qualifications or achievements"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company, unfortunate location

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cabela's full-time for more than a year

ProsTruly care about staff. Have a great business model with great access to resources. Their brand is highly sought after and this makes it fun to work for them.

ConsOdd culture with most employees being related and never having worked anywhere else. If you aren't a hard core hunter, it is difficult to fit in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work, but work on diversity.

Hunting Apparel outfitter

camo clothing outfitter (Current Employee)
Gonzales, LA

I have been working at Cabela's part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI've been working for cabelas for three years now and I really truly love my job. The management is awesome! They are all except 1 very easy to talk to and will defiantly take into consideration anything you feel could be changed or fixed to better the store. They will work around your availability and often give you days off you've requested for. It's a super fun place to work. Your like a big family all under one green roof!

ConsSome of the choices they make are based on who they like more than others, not based on what would be better for the company. I applied for a job and got passed up for it for someone who has no floor or merchandising experience, then I get told I have to train her.. If that's not a slap in the face I don't know what is. But like the kind of person I am, I'm training her and putting a smile on. I just thought it was very wrong. I'm not the only one it's happened to either. It happens quite often actually.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly sit back and take the time to see who is best qualified for positions, not who's liked the best by you all. Show a little gratitude and appreciation. Make your outfitters feel like they are appreciated.

outfitter

Outfitter (Former Employee)
Buda, TX

I worked at Cabela's part-time for more than a year

Prosdont need to know about department ur applying for; just need a willingness to learn; was a great place to work until company went public. After that everything changed; company doesnt care about employess, starting to run like walmart because a good amount of leadership roles came from wamart next door. They are losing a good amouint of good people to save pennies. Some of theguys they laid off were retired cops and ems workers who had decades upon decades of experience in the outdoors field. All in all cant complain too much; It was acollege job for me and served its purpose until I graduated. I left upon graduation and found a much higher paying position in my field. I feel for the retired veterans and former cops that just got laid off after working there since the location opened

Conschanging to walmart style of service; bass pro has been doing this for years but people tell us all the time they come to cabelas for the product knowledge

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to customer service

Overall, not bad.

I have been working at Cabela's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFriendly co-workers, good employee discount benefits on products and flexible scheduling for my dept. I enjoy almost all of the people I work with and there a lots of opportunities to learn new things given the vast outdoor experiences of my co-workers.

ConsSeems very 'corporate heavy' and micromanaged at times. Typically long hours are expected of Management with regular weekends and evening shifts. Things are constantly changing as company grows.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't turn into outdoor Wal-mart.

Good professional opportunity with little in the community

Sidney, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time for less than a year

ProsGood professional learning opportunity, laid back work environment, good work life balance,

ConsLocated in small isolated community, few networking opportunities, few professional opportunities in community other than here

Fun and never boring during the holidays.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Lincoln, NE

I worked at Cabela's part-time for less than a year

ProsSupervisors are awesome! They are laid back and actually work while they are in the office, unlike some places I've worked. Its great for college people- between answering calls, you can read or do homework.

ConsYou don't really make connections with co-workers and hours can be hard to get if you're not there around Christmas time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI never really had a problem with management, I really enjoyed my time at Cabela's!

A good seasonal place to work!!

Packer (Current Employee)
Prairie du Chien, WI

I have been working at Cabela's full-time for more than a year

ProsThe day went by fast. It was a fun place to work and I was always moving and walking. The bosses were nice and gave appropriate training.

ConsThe hours were long, especially during the holiday seasons. The pay was minimum wage, there was no air conditioning. Breaks were very short.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees a little better.

It's only about sales and not about knowledge or customer service

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
East Hartford, CT

I have been working at Cabela's full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI find the benefits to be alright. The insurance is pretty good overall and have plenty of paid time off that accruals the longer you have been there. The employee discount is pretty good too and it's tiered based on seniority.

ConsI have had a fairly tough time mentioning all the pros of working at Cabela's of lately. Ever since the company went public several years ago, it seems like things have gone downhill internally.

I have been incredibly lucky enough to move around in the store because I would like the think that I was a happy and upbeat person and management really liked that so that gave me more opportunities. I feel like this is no longer the case. Older management has left leaving groups outside managers from Home Depot to come in and fill the spots. Lately, if management feels like you are needed in a department, they will prevent you from transferring to an another department. Management does not have your back as much as they should. In March 2014 Cabela's as a company made major cuts and laid off hundreds of employees throughout the company. I approached one of my managers asking them why are they letting so many people go, especially knowledgable ones and their response was, "It's not about knowledge. It's about getting sales through the register." That sums up the future of Cabela's to me. Cabela's is considered the "World's Foremost Outfitter" so it's supposed to be ALL about customer service.

And to me that is about training outfitters properly about products and how to talk to customers and sell products. There is no training. Sure, employees get assigned a couple of computer modules of "training" on some Cabela's products in whatever department you are working in but that's about it. The training is really just merely specs on some of the Cabela's products. No real vendor training. You don't get to learn about the differences between some top brands vs Cabela's products. That is something you kind of just have to learn on your own. What is such a shame is that I have been seeing people being hired and not knowing the product and just having to read the specs off the box to a customer if they ask about it. Or worse, I have had employees tell customers the wrong information completely.

Also what has been really upsetting to me is that I find a horrible trend in Home Depot managers coming to Cabela's. First, I have nothing against Home Depot personally but I find it weird that there is such a huge amount of their former employees coming to Cabela's. I remember how Home Depot used to only hire qualified people to work in certain departments in their store. You would be able to talk to a certified electrician if you were dealing with electricity. Those days are now gone. You can't walk into Home Depot generally wanting specific advice and I feel like that is the direction that Cabela's heading in.

If you work in the warehouse you'll have some fairly steady hours, otherwise you'll have a pretty bad work-life balance. If you are full time, you have to have open availability and work whatever schedule they give you. I have done plenty of clopens (open after closing the store the night before) and definitely expect that if you are full time. In fact, if you're part time then you will have a much much easier having a set schedule than a full timer. That's what upsets me. Usually a lot of the part timers work at Cabela's as their second job and their first job is usually enough to pay the bills. It's that case where 'the rich gets richer' and it hurts. As a full-timer, who works hourly at just barely enough to live, it's really difficult. And because as a full-timer you have to have open availability, it's almost nearly impossible to have a second job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish management was able to chip in more in their own departments rather just overseeing everything and dictating. If departments are short handed, they should be more than capable enough to cover it and take care of customers. I see no reason why they can not. If they are making double what I am making salary wise plus some extra bonuses if certain tasks are accomplish, then I don't see why they should be able to log more hours and take more ownership of their departments.

Fun Environment Nice People

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Cabela's part-time for less than a year

ProsHigh volume and busy atmosphere keeps you going all day.

ConsWhen not in a management role the pay is low and tough to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do as good a job as they need to to maintain the Cabela's experience

My first retail position and my how my eyes have been opened

Retail Outfitter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cabela's part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe relationships with fellow outfitters is great and we get to help some wonderful people with their outdoor experience.

ConsSince the company went public, the work environment has diminished and hours for outfitters have gone way down.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aware of the PR with the public by having more people on the floor to actually be able to assist them when they need it. We need to be more aware and responsive to "local" product needs!

Worked for Cabela's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cabela's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cabela's CEO Thomas L. Millner. All 170 reviews posted anonymously by Cabela's employees.