Cabela's

Updated August 17, 2014
Updated August 17, 2014

Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner
Thomas L. Millner

Pros
  • The employee discount is pretty good too and it's tiered based on seniority (in 22 reviews)

• It was a fun work place to just go and talk about hunting fishing and camping (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • If you work in the warehouse you'll have some fairly steady hours, otherwise you'll have a pretty bad work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• The pay isn't great and it's almost impossible to get a full time spot (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great For Some, Not for Everyone

Current Employee - Club Card Outfitter
    Current Employee - Club Card Outfitter

Pros

As of this review I have worked at Cabela's for just over a year, and when I first started I didn't really feel like I should be working there because I had no interest in anything the store was about. However, the longer I worked there the more I came to appreciate the store, the people who work in it, and the culture it all creates.

Having been there over a year I can safely say it is the best retail/service job I've had. I have heard complaints about pay, but I made over $1 an hour more starting out than I ever did before at other retail/service jobs. It is retail, meaning you'll have bad hours or crappy schedules a lot of the time, but all told it is a pretty nice place to work.

The company is also expanding and seems to like hiring from inside, so there is always the chance of moving up to a salaried position later if that is what you're after.

Cons

I haven't had many negatives on the job, there are a few managers who I see actively avoid helping out there subordinates, and a few fellow employees don't seem to want to do anymore than the bare minimum or refuse to work outside of their comfort zone.

Also, it is not easy to get full time status with Cabela's. I've heard it attributed to everything from Obamacare to lack of profits, but have not seen a solid reason as to why yet.

Be more open to helping your employees, most of the management at my store is amazing. They do not hesitate to go out on the floor and work with customers or help out where ever they can. But every so often you'll see a certain manager flee a long line of customers and leave one or two subordinates just so they don't have to talk to customers.

Awesome Store, Great Team, needs a little Help!

Pros

Enjoy the work and everyday interaction with staff and customers. The core values are awesome and unlike anything I have ever seen in the corporate setting. The outfitters work as a team no matter what department they are in. A truly enjoyable experience so far with only a few let downs.

Cons

The work hours come and go for scheduling. Like in most retail stores more sales = more hours! NOT something you can rely on sadly.

Focus on the core values. Figure out the solution for less need on club card and more on in store sales.

Typical Retail Job

Current Employee - Outfitter  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Outfitter in Greenville, SC

Pros

If you are looking for the typical retail position within a different setting, this is the place for you. Benefits are offered to both regular part-time and full-time Outfitters.

Cons

The work hours are so varied (unless you are just wanting a part-time job to pick-up extra cash) this is not a place to find real opportunity for growth. Full-time positions are very limited. Upper management seems very hesitant to hire and/or fill any open lead, management, or even FT hourly positions from within.

The Management needs to get a handle on the scheduling system. They constantly have problems (in all areas of the store) with not knowing what hours the Outfitters are and are not available to work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly environment, but the negatives almost outweigh the benefits of working there.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Hazelwood, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Hazelwood, MO

Pros

Cabela's can be a fun place to work. Everyone is pretty friendly. Received a raise after one year of working there.

Cons

One of the biggest problems working as a cashier for Cabela's is that a lot of the merchandise would ring up wrong. Cashiers would have to waste time calling the departments to find out the correct price. This would hold up the lines. Another problem is that some of the leads would group the cashiers together. When I worked for Cabela's most of the cashiers were young adults, either finishing high school or going to college. A majority of these people would goof off. Leads would set strict rules for all cashiers when only a few were causing a problem. It was like they were treating us like children. There was a lot of favoritism. If you were friends with leads or management you could be promoted to customer service, which was mostly composed of gossiping girls. Cabela's is really pushy with Club Cards. A lot of the customers don't want another credit card. They also push protection plans, which are the biggest waste of money. Most of the products already have manufacture warranties on them. Overall, my experience started out good. After almost two years of working there, I couldn't stand it.

If it's "NOT IN YOUR NATURE" don't work here

Former Employee - Outfitter  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Outfitter in Omaha, NE

Pros

I was fortunate to find a position in this retail establishment that had consistent hours every week (working as the bargain cave processor) so it was easy to plan other things around that. Loved the people I worked with in my department and others on the sales floor. Lots of customer interaction, which is what I like to do. You learn a lot about different outdoor activities and you get plenty of chances to win or earn big discounts on products.

Cons

Management asks a lot from, and it was definitely NOT worth what they were paying. I felt under-trained in my position; when I was doing what I was supposed to do (so I thought) I got in trouble, and without even a warning, and had severe consequences. They keep driving "the club card" and really hammer us for not getting any (which was pretty much impossible for me to achieve in my department).

Please train your outfitters FULLY, so that when we think we're doing the right thing, we're actually "not" and get in trouble for it. Think of the little guy more often, too, please!

power sports department technician

Current Employee - Marine Technician  in  Dundee, MI
    Current Employee - Marine Technician in Dundee, MI

Pros

free tech school to dealerships

Cons

it is a corporation so it takes forever to get things done

Good

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Triadelphia, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Triadelphia, WV

Pros

Pretty laid back until it's time to work. Get stuff done then relax. Compensation is good, time-off policy is not real strict. As long as you're fair about notice and show up for work when need be then you're fine. The company is building stores like crazy, so you know it's growing.

Cons

If you want to go long term with this company, you might have to move to the corporate HQ in Sidney Nebraska. Health insurance from what I heard is ridiculously expensive for families.

I would say move your HQ, but I know that isn't happening.

Great opportunities in a growing company

Current Employee - NICS Compliance Outfitter  in  Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - NICS Compliance Outfitter in Sidney, NE

Pros

Employee discount, always opportunities for advancement if you work hard and display aptitude.

Cons

Culture at my particular store is lacking, which starts with lax dept managers. More micro managers than motivators and team builders. Schedule is also made harder than it has to be. Policy is to have one weekend out of four off but you only get the weekend off if you ask, small thing but affects culture.

Money put into improving management training with emphasis on culture and serving needs of team members will translate to happier more productive employees and less turnover, equaling effiency. Also sales training would also help drive sales. I work at the gun counter where the staff is knowledgable and friendly but use poor sales teqniques when dealing with customers. Seems like a lot of opportunity for improvement.

It's in Your Nature

Current Employee - Process Improvement Manager  in  Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - Process Improvement Manager in Sidney, NE

Pros

Unique leadership development opportunities; Variety of experience (Merchandising, Marketing, Retail, Strategy, Operations); Family values in a founder company; small town values in Sidney, NE (Corporate Headquarters); intentional efforts made for talent management; excellent communication enterprise wide; wonderful co-workers; people love their jobs

Cons

Company appears to be adding vertical layers at a rapid rate without justification of additional headcount; strategic planning is delayed, causing some delay in execution; capability maturity of project/change sponsorship is low in most areas - not so much a negative, but something to keep in mind when setting expectations

It was fun but they dont tell you when they qre going to lay you off.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Rogers, AR
    Former Employee - Cashier in Rogers, AR

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great training, great pay, great customer service skills, enjoyed going to work every single day i woke up.

Cons

Bad hours, bad management, poor communication, few raises, stuck up, etc. also never let anyone know they were laying them off until the day before it was going to happen

Be more up front with your employees.

Worked for Cabela's? Contribute to the Community!