Cabela's Reviews

295 reviews filtered by
3.2
Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner
Thomas L. Millner

Pros
  • The employee discount is pretty good too and it's tiered based on seniority (in 26 reviews)

• It was a fun work place to just go and talk about hunting fishing and camping (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • If you work in the warehouse you'll have some fairly steady hours, otherwise you'll have a pretty bad work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• A lot of the customers don't want another credit card (in 14 reviews)

1. Great Place to work.

Current Employee - Outfitter, Clothing in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Outfitter, Clothing in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working with experienced outfitters. Great management team. Benefits i.e. employee discount, and 3point5 etc... Great workplace environment. Training opportunities and the list goes on.

Cons

I have yet to have any complaints or negative experiences but if I happen to come accross any I reserved the right to change my answer.

Advice to Management

Keep on KEEPING ON and do what you do best. In other words don't make any major changes and keep the lines of communication open.

Unnecessary disappointment and frustration is readily growing...

Current Employee - Outfitter in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Outfitter in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

The best part of my day is the customers and their awesome personalities and various stories of their adventures. The second best part of my day is [most] of the people I work with/around are amazing, caring, and personable.
    If you love to be around and get to know people then this job is truly a perfect fit. If you do not like to interact with people and are just doing it for a job then please find a job somewhere else.
    Most of our managers are also amazing and know what it's like to be human.
    A couple of them need to learn how to be nice and appreciative of the people who work hard and have integrity.

Cons

They hire young, inexperienced, immature leads who lack any people skills at all while passing over people who have way more experience.
    The "full time availability" requirements are a double standard.
    They do not recognize the people who work hard as team players and follow all the rules. Instead, they recognize or promote people based on what seems like a buddy system.
    There is only about 45% of us who actually do all of the work (including greeting and interacting with every single customer). Of those 45% only about 30% work together, as a team, regardless of which department they are in.
    The managers are generally never available
    and, when called for, a different manager responds with a bad attitude.
    A lot of negativity is passed down to excited Outfitters which, in turn, makes the rest of the team negative.

Advice to Management

Please stop sending mixed messages.
    You tell us to escort customers to various departments if they are in search of something but then reprimand us for not being where we are supposed to be.
    Create morale by promoting unity.
    Exist in the minds and presence of your Outfitters.
    Lead by example. (Make sure all of the managers are as well as the Leads!)
    Please, please, please use sound judgement when assigning Lead positions. Arrogant and attitudinal people who have no life experiences to gauge their "professional" actions/ decisions upon have no business being in any type of supervisory position unless they are an extraordinary natural with leadership skills.
    Please be friendly to us over the walkie. We only ask for help when we need it.
     We know you're under stress, and have the pressure put on you, but that's also why you are in the position you hold.
    When we radio for someone there is no need to be dismissive or rude. Sometimes, certain Outfitters do not have their earpiece in but do have their radio on. Customers hear your response.
    Remember when you were in a non management position; treat us like we matter.
    When an Outfitter expresses interest in developing their new career with the company, please, do not dismiss them. Some of us actually want to make this store shine. Please help our commitment by showing yours.
    Read a few books by John Maxwell (The Journey From Success to Significance , Developing the Leader Within You, The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader, and so many more).

3. Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Cabela's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in, loved the people i worked with, gave great in-sore discounts and 3point5 discounts, sometimes rewarded employees with gift cards or either further discounts on in-store items

Cons

sometimes management had use do unnecessary busy work, very very busy during holidays but thats what you get for working in retail

5. Very good, Friendly Manger and leads

Current Employee - Clothing Sales Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Clothing Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

the competitive pay and discounts

Cons

they don't require the employes to know much about their product other then watching a few short videos about it.

Advice to Management

Not so much micromanagement

Good job for remedial work

Current Employee - Home and Gifts Outfitter in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Home and Gifts Outfitter in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, opportunity for advancement, positive coworkers and managers, great products

Cons

Inconsistent hours (the standard for retail), feel like you're required to ask customers to apply for credit card

Advice to Management

Credit cards hurt credit scores when applied for, regardless of whether they're accepted. 60-75% of the shoppers cannot afford to be there so they do not need a credit card to make matters worse, since they'd quickly acquire more in debt.

7. Company values all employees at a level rarely seen in retail.

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

Environment. Working with people that enjoy and are proud of where they work. Outstanding perks and ability for growth is astounding!

Cons

It's retail so no shockers when it comes to hours and/or expectations. Perhaps the company could be a little bit more organized, but it provides a great way to make a name for yourself.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job of leading by example!

8. Overall great company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

Worked with amazing people, managers cared about you and were very flexible on time off. Discount was good.

Cons

Pay wasn't the best. Worked long hours on your feet.

9. Was a descent place to work until they went public.

I worked at Cabela's

Pros

Learning about the many products available to the outdoorsperson. Their employee discount is decent for new hires and with seniority gets better. Many of the employees are great to work with.

Cons

Management could be more caring about their personnel. Some managers do care and others are just covering their own six's. Health benefits could be better for a company that size. Since going public, they seem to care more for the stockholder than the stakeholder.

Advice to Management

Need to go back to the old ways of heavily staffing the retail stores, and with full-timers not part-timers. Being just a part-timer overs little to the employee to expand their knowledge and be a valuable commodity.

10. Good people, fair shifts and facilities.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Cabela's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of commission opportunity, and management was quite flexible in terms of working around sudden events popping up. I made some good friends from my training class as well.

Cons

Late hours are boring and in the off season the hours can be scarce for part timers. Around Thanksgiving and Christmas you're lucky to have time to use the bathroom through an entire shift.

Advice to Management

A good way to prevent employees from showing up late is to actually stay in the range of the times someone is available. Numerous times I was forced to take a late-show simply because the start of my shift was, for some reason, scheduled in the middle of my class time, making it impossible for me to arrive on time.

11. Great company with tremendous growth.

Current Employee - Vice President Contact Center Operations in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Vice President Contact Center Operations in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They award great work and effort. If your are willing to go above and beyond for the customer and your team, this is the right place for you. Cabela's has given me chances to grow and learn as a professional. Great company that has afforded me many opportunities in life. You put in the work and effort, you will be rewarded.

Cons

I can't say enough great things about the opportunities given. I would not have a negative thing to say about the company.

Cabela's Photos