Cabela's

Cabela's Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner

Thomas L. Millner

Pros
  • The employee discount is pretty good too and it's tiered based on seniority(in 22 reviews)

• It was a fun work place to just go and talk about hunting fishing and camping(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • If you work in the warehouse you'll have some fairly steady hours, otherwise you'll have a pretty bad work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• The pay isn't great and it's almost impossible to get a full time spot(in 10 reviews)

power sports department technician

Marine Technician (Current Employee) Dundee, MI

Prosfree tech school to dealerships

Consit is a corporation so it takes forever to get things done

Good

Anonymous (Current Employee) Triadelphia, WV

ProsPretty laid back until it's time to work. Get stuff done then relax. Compensation is good, time-off policy is not real strict. As long as you're fair about notice and show up for work when need be then you're fine. The company is building stores like crazy, so you know it's growing.

ConsIf you want to go long term with this company, you might have to move to the corporate HQ in Sidney Nebraska. Health insurance from what I heard is ridiculously expensive for families.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say move your HQ, but I know that isn't happening.

Alright

Cashier (Current Employee) Hamburg, PA

ProsDecent hours during holiday rush.

ConsCorporate does not really think rationally, we spoil customers, metrics are unreasonable.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunities in a growing company

NICS Compliance Outfitter (Current Employee) Sidney, NE

ProsEmployee discount, always opportunities for advancement if you work hard and display aptitude.

ConsCulture at my particular store is lacking, which starts with lax dept managers. More micro managers than motivators and team builders. Schedule is also made harder than it has to be. Policy is to have one weekend out of four off but you only get the weekend off if you ask, small thing but affects culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoney put into improving management training with emphasis on culture and serving needs of team members will translate to happier more productive employees and less turnover, equaling effiency. Also sales training would also help drive sales. I work at the gun counter where the staff is knowledgable and friendly but use poor sales teqniques when dealing with customers. Seems like a lot of opportunity for improvement.

Carrot on a stick

Club Card Outfitter (Former Employee) Rogers, AR

ProsI really enjoyed my co-workers, the flexible schedule, and the atmosphere of outdoor retail.

ConsManagers were always promising "full time" positions about to open, and room for promotion to keep part time zero benefit employees working hard. Trying to force everyone to sign an arbitration agreement that no one would sue them if fired, then firing 15% of management the next week...sounds fishy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ask employees to do something that you yourself aren't willing to do, you need to lead not boss.

Lies and deceit.

Outfitter (Former Employee) Lacey, WA

ProsIt's a job. The discount, if you last long enough. You will learn a ton. It will look super fine on your resume.

ConsThe "culture" they beat into your head is a joke! Some of the issues they have experienced are retail 101, yet they struggle so hard to find solutions. You best be ready to be lied to! Pay stinks. Even if you are the most qualified, NO chance for advancement unless your "in someone's circle." You must think as they think, act as they act. There is no room for that breath of fresh are type of employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up on your list's of people shredding the rules. GET THEM OUT. As a manager you cannot have "friends" in the store...so favoritism cannot show it's ugly head. Honesty sometimes is painful...don't pull any punches....tell the truth.

It's in Your Nature

Process Improvement Manager (Current Employee) Sidney, NE

ProsUnique leadership development opportunities; Variety of experience (Merchandising, Marketing, Retail, Strategy, Operations); Family values in a founder company; small town values in Sidney, NE (Corporate Headquarters); intentional efforts made for talent management; excellent communication enterprise wide; wonderful co-workers; people love their jobs

ConsCompany appears to be adding vertical layers at a rapid rate without justification of additional headcount; strategic planning is delayed, causing some delay in execution; capability maturity of project/change sponsorship is low in most areas - not so much a negative, but something to keep in mind when setting expectations

It was fun but they dont tell you when they qre going to lay you off.

Cashier (Former Employee) Rogers, AR

ProsFun atmosphere, great training, great pay, great customer service skills, enjoyed going to work every single day i woke up.

ConsBad hours, bad management, poor communication, few raises, stuck up, etc. also never let anyone know they were laying them off until the day before it was going to happen

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more up front with your employees.

A mostly relaxed retail atmosphere with knowledgeable and competent staff.

Club Card Outfitter (Current Employee)

ProsCo-workers are generally friendly and down to earth, no real drama. Good benefits. Some recognition for goals achieved. Clean and organized. Top notch products to sell. Some nice sales incentives, gift cards, paycheck spiffs, etc. Always a nice employee discount.

ConsWork a lot of weekends, but that is true of most retail. Ability to move up promised to be easy, not really from what I saw and experienced. Some staffing cuts come out of the blue without warning.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people more of a chance to move up, think a bit outside of the box. Let people cross train more and multiple roles. Encourage personal growth, give direction and input into growing your employees skills.

"We sell fun!" With a side incompetence.

Various (Current Employee)

ProsAwesome coworkers, we really felt like a family. First year working here was incredible but as the glamour faded after the grand opening a mass exodus occurred and many of us became overworked. A handful of us stuck around even when hours were slashed to well below 10/week.

ConsI constantly strived to be the best outfitter I could be. Picking up shifts, learning every aspect of the store, effectively communicating with my leads and managers. But it never felt like I was taken seriously, I was constantly passed over for promotions without any reason given as to why. Full-time positions are the equivalent to a water fountain in the desert. Room for growth doesn't exist if you were hired to open a new store, but if you get a position a year or so after you will more than likely move up in the store. Yes, I seem disgruntled but that is only because I had such high hopes and aspirations when I started working there. To see myself being passed over for positions I have worked hard for I wonder if I have wasted the last two years working for a company that I never had a chance of moving up in.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the outfitters that actually stick around during the bad times and make an effort everyday, they are the ones holding the store together. Promote those that work hard and wish to move up in the company. Don't hinder employee growth. Don't overlook outfitters that lie, gossip, and backstab (stop promoting them as well).

Worked for Cabela's? Contribute to the Community!