Cabela's

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015

Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner
Thomas L. Millner

Pros
  • The employee discount is pretty good too and it's tiered based on seniority (in 26 reviews)

• It was a fun work place to just go and talk about hunting fishing and camping (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • If you work in the warehouse you'll have some fairly steady hours, otherwise you'll have a pretty bad work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• A lot of the customers don't want another credit card (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Good People, Friendly Culture

Current Employee - Camping Outfitter
    Current Employee - Camping Outfitter

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The clientele of Cabela's makes a big difference in how well your work-day goes; most are pretty down-to-earth folks. Talking about things you love all day also makes the experience better.

Cabela's is one company that actually puts their money where their money where their mouth is, with regard to customer satisfaction. I've seen the company go above and beyond a number of times to fix a situation, or help somebody out because it's the right thing to do.

Cons

One piece that's contrary to "customer satisfaction" is the pushing of the Cabela's visa. Corporate pitches this as a "great service" to the customer, but in reality you know you're just sinking people into debt. Another credit card is not in everybody's best interest, especially when it has high interest and pitches itself as a "rewards" card. 2% back? Not a reward, especially considering that Cabela's is, on average, 5-10% more than the competition anyway. Corporate wants everybody to hawk this card on anything that moves in the store, and customers (and rightly so) get annoyed. I feel this is the companies' one major failing as far as customer service and management are concerned.

Lay off the visa quota's. Also, the entry level discount should be a little better, as it's usually beaten by a sale price; our price with the entry level discount is often the regular price at some of your competitors... That leaves something to be desired.

Please stop growing so fast. Slow down, milk the extra earnings for a few more years, and keep your store's shelves full. Alternatively, sort out your supply chain issues. People get mad when they drive a couple hours to buy something and it's totally out of stock both in store and online - this IS affecting the way people view Cabela's.

Finally, decentralize more of the purchasing decisions to allow stores to bring in more product suited to local preferences and demographics. There are certain items people ask for over and over and over. Why not thin out some product that doesn't sell and let stores make money on requested products. Sure, you'd have to hammer out the logistics, but you'd also be optimizing the ROI for your retail floor space....

Best job ever!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

Most customer fill they are in a big boy toy store. Management
    try's to be positive, fair and uplifting they want the outfitters to be
    the same to the customers. This is a great atmosphere to work.
    Most minorities (not left handed people) are given a fair opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Crazy retail hours I don't know what day of the week it is.

Don't tell the outfitters how much profit the store is making
    And hold down hourly pay. Very confusing!

It is an excellent place to work .

Former Employee - Outffitter in The Highlands, OH
    Former Employee - Outffitter in The Highlands, OH

I worked at Cabela's

Pros

great feeling of a tight knit group. good hours decent pay with very appealing perks

Cons

very little actual training it feels more like a sink or swim setting. They go a little overboard with the work here buy mentality , pay rate doesn't match the merchandise prices eve with the discount

consider the entry level employee. who is the backbone of you company once they are decently accommodated . they may stay longer

Enjoyable experience for the most part

Former Employee - Seasonal DC Outfitter
    Former Employee - Seasonal DC Outfitter

I worked at Cabela's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The environment provided as an outfitter at a Cebela's DC was a very welcoming and friendly one. While 'teamwork' wasn't drilled into us heavily, you felt a very strong sense of it day to day, working together with other employees and managers who were easy to get along with to achieve the day's goal. Opportunities to take on more responsibility were readily available for those who work hard. I never felt a sense that I was easily replaceable. Dress policy is very relaxed and comfortable which is important for this type of work. Great starting discount if you do a lot of shopping at the store.

Cons

Similar jobs elsewhere seem to pay $1-2 more hourly. The long and wildly varying hours during peak season (Late November to December) can get stressful and there is very little in the way of helping employee morale during that time. If you make a mistake, you can expect to feel like your manager is a completely different person when they confront you about it if you have previously held their favor.

Try to work on ways to improve morale during very stressful times of the year. Refrain from posting low-level internal full-time job openings and conducting interviews if you have no intention of filling them until 5-6 months later. I learned this was normal after the fact from other employees. Altogether Cabela's is very close to being an optimal place to work for this kind of employment, but minor problems sully the big picture.

Great Company

Former Employee - Cashier in Richfield, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Richfield, WI

I worked at Cabela's (less than a year)

Pros

Employee priced discounts, free gift cards around holidays, well kept environment, loved their training, attitude, and message, free fudge/coffee in employee lounge, discounts on food upstairs, flexible with scheduling, overall accommodating managers who were really sweet. Zero tolerance policy on discrimination/harassment of any sort, amazing incentives, never felt belittled, etc. We had this thing where they appreciate you for coming into work and we given lots of praise. (Feel good environment!) I would say 90% of our customers loved our particular store due to the service. The way the store is set up is pretty cool, too. Forgot the head honcho's name but he does come around asking us how we're doing and giving us high fives; great guy!

Cons

Some of the cashiers tend to run off or disappear, at one point one of the managers called to one on the radios we used and her excuse was that she was helping a different department. The manager handled it well by replying that her job was in the checkout lines, not other departments. Can get boring if it's not really busy. Multiple times the prices scanned were not correct or they didn't update them, which creates a hassle during holidays. Cashiers tend to be cliquey. There was a day where I called to check with management because I mistakenly believed I worked a different day but they didn't even notice I wasn't present. Some promotions were not properly ran by us, so we would be confused at times too. Conflicting training sometimes

hardlines manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

great company team players awesome

Cons

long hours other than that none

none

Exceptional growth opportunities

Former Employee - Product Manager in Sidney, NE
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Sidney, NE

I worked at Cabela's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are into hunt/fish/camp/lifestyle, this is your place

Cons

You're on the buss or off the bus

I work in the best hunting and fishing store and sell candy. Great place.

Current Employee - Outfitter in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Outfitter in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

Happy, optimistic work associates
    Good managers
    Good wages, compared to other retail stores
    Relatability to customers
    Discounts
    Convenient schedule
    Honored to work for Cabela's, since they've been known as the world's legendary outfitter since the 60's

Cons

It's retail. Co-workers are stressed because managers are stressed about the number of projects that need to be completed. However, while dealing with customers, you lose a lot of time and efficiency, but I don't mind. I'd rather be productive than bored and mindless

Incompetent management, high school drama, random drug testing... Need I say more?

Current Employee - Retail Outfitter in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Outfitter in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

One of the only reasons I'm still employed with Cabela's is because it's easy. I come in, stand around waiting for a customer considering the store is mostly dead, and leave hours later. There are many different departments to choose from if one fits your interest, and if you're full time there are a lot of benefits to enroll in.

Cons

As a supporter of mine and everyone else's 4th amendment rights, I am heavily against drug testing without suspicion. A computer randomly selects a bunch of people to get a test every week or two. Urinating in a cup to expose my medical history to my employer is not a thing I'm fond of, though this varies from state to state. In mine, there are no laws protecting employees from unfair testing, and management is having a field day with it.

The benefits are only available for full time employees, which are few and far between once store activity dies down after opening.

It seems that my coworkers are solely concerned with keeping their positions and are willing to throw anyone under the bus to keep theirs.

Management has trouble finding the mythical "replacement", I've been stuck alone in my department during rushes too many times for comfort. The store I work in has a lot of call-off problems. After 6 months, it's only worsening.

neutral

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sidney, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

company is a growing organization

Cons

corporate location is not new person friendly

Cabela's Photos