Cabela's

Cabela's Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner

Thomas L. Millner

Pros
  • The employee discount is pretty good too and it's tiered based on seniority(in 22 reviews)

• It was a fun work place to just go and talk about hunting fishing and camping(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • If you work in the warehouse you'll have some fairly steady hours, otherwise you'll have a pretty bad work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• The pay isn't great and it's almost impossible to get a full time spot(in 10 reviews)

Great opportunities in a growing company

NICS Compliance Outfitter (Current Employee) Sidney, NE

ProsEmployee discount, always opportunities for advancement if you work hard and display aptitude.

ConsCulture at my particular store is lacking, which starts with lax dept managers. More micro managers than motivators and team builders. Schedule is also made harder than it has to be. Policy is to have one weekend out of four off but you only get the weekend off if you ask, small thing but affects culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoney put into improving management training with emphasis on culture and serving needs of team members will translate to happier more productive employees and less turnover, equaling effiency. Also sales training would also help drive sales. I work at the gun counter where the staff is knowledgable and friendly but use poor sales teqniques when dealing with customers. Seems like a lot of opportunity for improvement.

Carrot on a stick

Club Card Outfitter (Former Employee) Rogers, AR

ProsI really enjoyed my co-workers, the flexible schedule, and the atmosphere of outdoor retail.

ConsManagers were always promising "full time" positions about to open, and room for promotion to keep part time zero benefit employees working hard. Trying to force everyone to sign an arbitration agreement that no one would sue them if fired, then firing 15% of management the next week...sounds fishy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ask employees to do something that you yourself aren't willing to do, you need to lead not boss.

It's in Your Nature

Process Improvement Manager (Current Employee) Sidney, NE

ProsUnique leadership development opportunities; Variety of experience (Merchandising, Marketing, Retail, Strategy, Operations); Family values in a founder company; small town values in Sidney, NE (Corporate Headquarters); intentional efforts made for talent management; excellent communication enterprise wide; wonderful co-workers; people love their jobs

ConsCompany appears to be adding vertical layers at a rapid rate without justification of additional headcount; strategic planning is delayed, causing some delay in execution; capability maturity of project/change sponsorship is low in most areas - not so much a negative, but something to keep in mind when setting expectations

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was fun but they dont tell you when they qre going to lay you off.

Cashier (Former Employee) Rogers, AR

ProsFun atmosphere, great training, great pay, great customer service skills, enjoyed going to work every single day i woke up.

ConsBad hours, bad management, poor communication, few raises, stuck up, etc. also never let anyone know they were laying them off until the day before it was going to happen

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more up front with your employees.

"We sell fun!" With a side incompetence.

Various (Current Employee)

ProsAwesome coworkers, we really felt like a family. First year working here was incredible but as the glamour faded after the grand opening a mass exodus occurred and many of us became overworked. A handful of us stuck around even when hours were slashed to well below 10/week.

ConsI constantly strived to be the best outfitter I could be. Picking up shifts, learning every aspect of the store, effectively communicating with my leads and managers. But it never felt like I was taken seriously, I was constantly passed over for promotions without any reason given as to why. Full-time positions are the equivalent to a water fountain in the desert. Room for growth doesn't exist if you were hired to open a new store, but if you get a position a year or so after you will more than likely move up in the store. Yes, I seem disgruntled but that is only because I had such high hopes and aspirations when I started working there. To see myself being passed over for positions I have worked hard for I wonder if I have wasted the last two years working for a company that I never had a chance of moving up in.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the outfitters that actually stick around during the bad times and make an effort everyday, they are the ones holding the store together. Promote those that work hard and wish to move up in the company. Don't hinder employee growth. Don't overlook outfitters that lie, gossip, and backstab (stop promoting them as well).

A mostly relaxed retail atmosphere with knowledgeable and competent staff.

Club Card Outfitter (Current Employee)

ProsCo-workers are generally friendly and down to earth, no real drama. Good benefits. Some recognition for goals achieved. Clean and organized. Top notch products to sell. Some nice sales incentives, gift cards, paycheck spiffs, etc. Always a nice employee discount.

ConsWork a lot of weekends, but that is true of most retail. Ability to move up promised to be easy, not really from what I saw and experienced. Some staffing cuts come out of the blue without warning.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people more of a chance to move up, think a bit outside of the box. Let people cross train more and multiple roles. Encourage personal growth, give direction and input into growing your employees skills.

Lies and deceit.

Outfitter (Former Employee) Lacey, WA

ProsIt's a job. The discount, if you last long enough. You will learn a ton. It will look super fine on your resume.

ConsThe "culture" they beat into your head is a joke! Some of the issues they have experienced are retail 101, yet they struggle so hard to find solutions. You best be ready to be lied to! Pay stinks. Even if you are the most qualified, NO chance for advancement unless your "in someone's circle." You must think as they think, act as they act. There is no room for that breath of fresh are type of employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up on your list's of people shredding the rules. GET THEM OUT. As a manager you cannot have "friends" in the store...so favoritism cannot show it's ugly head. Honesty sometimes is painful...don't pull any punches....tell the truth.

First 10 months awesome, next 8 awful

ProsAccess to 3.5 and significant discounts through 3 Point 5

ConsCabela's has loaded itself with "retail specialists", primarily Lowe's and Home Depot people, not the outdoor enthusiast that Cabela's was previously built on. We do not carry rakes and bagged dirt, or 2x4's! We are an outdoor experience, guns, fishing, camping and hunting. Cabela's set the bar high for what is referred to as "Legendary Customer Service", but sadly that is a thing of the past. We have three primary service areas, the front end which is customer service and cashiers; Hardlines, which is fishing, optics, ammo and gun library; and Softlines which is camping, outdoor cooking, Logo, shoes and clothing of any kind. They have gone from three to six Outfitters staffing the floor during open hours to one or two. They have changed hours and Job descriptions in this store that do not match what Corporate advertises and says they are. If there is a problem, too bad. Attitudes and moral are below low. Pay scale is below what the Corporation says.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire employees that know Michigan's weather, fishing, camping and hunting seasons, ordering our stock, then deliver it to us when we need it, leaving it on the shelves in the store until the season has ended, and we will sell it. Provided a schedule of hours to work the floor, or hire stock people again the work freight, we can't do both at the same time. Stop worrying about Managerial Bonus and Executive Bonus, and focus on what this Company used to do, give real customer service. The experience of shopping at Cabela's is what brought people in, give it to them and they spend more. Please stop copying other companies products and charging more, not less for them. Actually know the geographical area you have expanded to. We are not at the Birch Run exit and do not have that amount traffic from I75 pulling into our parking lot. No one but locals can find the location where we are at, and it has severely effected our bottom line. Get billboards on I-75 that actually give our location, not just listing two cross roads, which no one out of the area can spell let alone find. Stop your expansion plan until you can fix your warehousing issues, and get us the stock we need to stay in business, instead of diverting everything to the Grand Openings and leaving our shelves empty.

For the most part it was enjoyable

NICS Compliance Outfitter (Former Employee) Dundee, MI

ProsIf you are into the outdoors this is a pretty good place. Lots of great people to work with, supervisors and managers are pretty fair to deal with. And the discounts are pretty good too.

ConsThe pay isn't great and it's almost impossible to get a full time spot. They always expected us to learn about different products and services but in the position I was in didn't have a real reason to know this information.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the value of investing in your employees and try not to overlook the outside skills that your people have, you're missing a gold mine of talent when you do this.

One of the best jobs I've worked at to date

IT Compliance Auditor and Process Improvement Engineer (Former Employee) Sidney, NE

ProsFamily oriented, great environment, beautiful views, believes as all outfitters do in their core values which all are based on wholesome basic morals.

ConsFor anything major you have a bit of a drive, but after a short time you come to enjoy the fantastic outdoors around you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep looking forward as you have been doing and I'm sure you will continue to thrive and excel at being the best outdoor in the world.

Worked for Cabela's? Contribute to the Community!