www.cabelas.com

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014

Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner
Thomas L. Millner

Pros
  • The employee discount is pretty good too and it's tiered based on seniority (in 25 reviews)

• It was a fun work place to just go and talk about hunting fishing and camping (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • If you work in the warehouse you'll have some fairly steady hours, otherwise you'll have a pretty bad work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• A lot of the customers don't want another credit card (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great for retired people, not a career track.

Former Employee - PT Camping/Hunting/Gun Counter in Lacey, WA
    Former Employee - PT Camping/Hunting/Gun Counter in Lacey, WA

I worked at Cabela's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discounts
    Health insurance for non seasonal part timers.
    Fun products.
    Great technology tools to help you do your job.

Cons

Understaffed on the sales floor
    Publicly traded company concerned only with the stock.
    Will only give you a full time job if you have completely open availability. (No college students, you can't go to school and work full time.
    Forced to sell club Visa cards really hard.

Staff the floor better!!!

Love this company

Current Employee - Retail Outfitter in Hamburg, PA
    Current Employee - Retail Outfitter in Hamburg, PA

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is a big family at this company!

Cons

Weekend off are non-existent and there are no set shifts

Great place to work

Former Employee - IT Compliance Auditor and Process Improvement Specialist in Sidney, NE

I worked at Cabela's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used my additional talents where ever they could

Cons

Over tasked numerous times with no clear priorities being provided.

Give more precise requests.

Part-time Cashier, meh experience

Current Employee - Cashier in Rogers, AR
    Current Employee - Cashier in Rogers, AR

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee discount is great even for new employees, up to 25% off. Will work with your availability. Cashier starts at $10 an hour plus commissions even with no retail experience. Chance to advance is there or move to another store.

Cons

Hours are capped at 28 for part-time. If you go over 28 then your follow weeks will be reduced. Example work 35 hours this week, expect 20 next few weeks. Management can be a pain, but they get moved around or promoted quickly. Getting treated like an employee when shopping off the clock. Schedule is inconsistent when you have open availability. Long hiring and training process, over a month from interview to first check.

Listen to your employees' advice when they give it. Review employee performance.

The truth was spoken

Current Employee - Director in Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - Director in Sidney, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love this company and the great outdoors. Most of the people and decent.

Cons

The Huffington Post article told the truth about our diversity. Now we are being threatened by soon to not agree with the article. Some of us feeling our job is threatened. What happened to him is truthful

Find him and apologize for the way he was treated. He is not looking for a lawsuit hit a simple "we are sorry for what happened". Be decent!

Decent time there

Current Employee - Floor Outfitter (Seasonal) in Rogers, AR
    Current Employee - Floor Outfitter (Seasonal) in Rogers, AR

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I work with (save for a handful) are amazingly sweet and try to make my time as a seasonal worthwhile and the pay is nice. Decent commission when doing kiosk sales, and contests to win gift cards and items at the lowest price are nice. 25% discount on most items as a first year employee are nice as well. Most customers are understanding of outfitters who don't run cash registers often, and sometimes even offer to find managers if none respond on the radio to a call.

Cons

Leadership is crap, to be honest. Some managers just sit in the break room and watch football, some floor leads will ask you to work another department and then get mad at you when you look like you're not busy (but in reality you'd JUST gotten finished with a group and had to take a breather), leads don't encourage teamwork and attempt to split people up, some managers disrespect and demean their employees. It also doesn't help when scheduling is wonky and instead of two people to one section to close, there's two people to four sections.

Learn that we're adults, not some children in a daycare. Hire more competent managers who're willing to work with outfitters, and teach the leads that sometimes working together on things gets them done faster and cleaner. Try and watch the outfitters as well and make sure they're taking breaks and lunches, and help cover for them if they're the only ones in their section.

Great corporate climate

Current Employee - Firearms Outfitter in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Firearms Outfitter in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Effective and efficient training is provided. Continuing training keeps us up to date on new rules and regulations. Product training is provided by the manufacturers reps. Vacation pay is provided for part time employees also.

Cons

We are expected to present the Cabela's Club Visa Credit Card to every customer we interact with. Many conversations do not easily afford that opportunity without feeling awkward.

Be more consistent in praising and rewarding outfitters who receive compliments from customers.

Current Employee - Outfitter in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Outfitter in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work. Fun talking to Customers about their Hunting, Fishing, Camping Trips. Employee discount isn't bad gets better over time. Best discounts are achieved through product training. Great place to work if you love the Outdoors and don't need a large paycheck. Good first Job or for someone who is retired.

Cons

Poor pay and having to work three out of four weekends per month and you have no set schedule. They only post the schedule two weeks in advance. The raises aren't much and there are lots of blackout days that the company won't let you take off. Having to take the advanced product training on your own time to get the best discounts. Having to ask all the customers if they want the Cabela's Credit Card is annoying to the Outfitters and the Customers since the Customers are always being asked if they want the Credit Card. Cabela's has lots of nice stuff but it's very difficult to afford it at the rate you're paid.

Pay the Employees more so they can afford to buy the Merchandise they are selling.

It was great!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cabela's part-time

Pros

They take care of everyone

Cons

There are no cons at all

awesome

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

great place to work and grow

Cons

The company needs to start looking at the internal mess they call an intranet and fix it!

Cabela's Photos