Cabela's Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014

Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner
Thomas L. Millner

Pros
  • The employee discount is pretty good too and it's tiered based on seniority (in 23 reviews)

• Get to talk hunting and fishing, etc (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • If you work in the warehouse you'll have some fairly steady hours, otherwise you'll have a pretty bad work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• The pay isn't great and it's almost impossible to get a full time spot (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

It was great!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cabela's part-time

Pros

They take care of everyone

Cons

There are no cons at all

Great Company

I have been working at Cabela's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Enjoy the people, friendships and customers. Some managers are excellent while others have PLENTY of room for improvement!

Cons

Compensation is on the low end of the scale because of "New Store Opening". However, there is little room for increases so don't go in looking to make more any time soon.

Find managers who are committed to being LEADERS.

Okay until you really do your job.

Former Employee - Asset Protection Specialist  in  Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Allen, TX

I worked at Cabela's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good friendly environment. Plus its in an outdoor paradise! The company has a great history and future.

Cons

Terminated for leaving the property after a shoplifter who STOLE A GUN! He was caught and convicted of a strike 3 felony!

Your rules and policies go only so far. What would it look like for crimes to be committed with the stolen gun?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok place to work as long as you are a day shift.

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

Decent discount, friendly co workers.

Cons

Blame game trickles down to lower levels

Work nights before blaming them for everything.

Cabela's Corporate can be a good place to work.

Current Employee - Replenishment and Allocation Analyst  in  Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - Replenishment and Allocation Analyst in Sidney, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overall the workplace is laid back. Get to talk hunting and fishing, etc. Most coworkers share the same interest.

Cons

Don't get on someone's bad side. You could be branded as lazy, a screw up, etc just because someone doesn't like you or know you.

Follow your own advice. You have a career path in place but you pass on in house employees to bring in outside talent.

Professionalism

I worked at Cabela's full-time for more than a year

Pros

great people to work with and a company that tries to make things happen

Cons

Teaching others what your job really meant was difficult. The customer service area was in change and there was resistence.

Great company in a family friendly town.

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

Great work - life balance
    Great culture
    Values-based
    Ideal for the outdoor enthusiast

Cons

Location - great town but you have to drive a ways to get any shopping/concerts/events/etc.

Great For Some, Not for Everyone

Current Employee - Club Card Outfitter
    Current Employee - Club Card Outfitter

I have been working at Cabela's part-time for more than a year

Pros

As of this review I have worked at Cabela's for just over a year, and when I first started I didn't really feel like I should be working there because I had no interest in anything the store was about. However, the longer I worked there the more I came to appreciate the store, the people who work in it, and the culture it all creates.

Having been there over a year I can safely say it is the best retail/service job I've had. I have heard complaints about pay, but I made over $1 an hour more starting out than I ever did before at other retail/service jobs. It is retail, meaning you'll have bad hours or crappy schedules a lot of the time, but all told it is a pretty nice place to work.

The company is also expanding and seems to like hiring from inside, so there is always the chance of moving up to a salaried position later if that is what you're after.

Cons

I haven't had many negatives on the job, there are a few managers who I see actively avoid helping out there subordinates, and a few fellow employees don't seem to want to do anymore than the bare minimum or refuse to work outside of their comfort zone.

Also, it is not easy to get full time status with Cabela's. I've heard it attributed to everything from Obamacare to lack of profits, but have not seen a solid reason as to why yet.

Be more open to helping your employees, most of the management at my store is amazing. They do not hesitate to go out on the floor and work with customers or help out where ever they can. But every so often you'll see a certain manager flee a long line of customers and leave one or two subordinates just so they don't have to talk to customers.

NOT A CAREER

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Cabela's full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount is the only good thing about working there

Cons

A VERY CHEAP COMPANY, VERY GREEDY. Annual 20 cent raises is the only raise you get. No bonuses no nothing.

Lazy and selfish.

Friendly environment, but the negatives almost outweigh the benefits of working there.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Hazelwood, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Hazelwood, MO

I worked at Cabela's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Cabela's can be a fun place to work. Everyone is pretty friendly. Received a raise after one year of working there.

Cons

One of the biggest problems working as a cashier for Cabela's is that a lot of the merchandise would ring up wrong. Cashiers would have to waste time calling the departments to find out the correct price. This would hold up the lines. Another problem is that some of the leads would group the cashiers together. When I worked for Cabela's most of the cashiers were young adults, either finishing high school or going to college. A majority of these people would goof off. Leads would set strict rules for all cashiers when only a few were causing a problem. It was like they were treating us like children. There was a lot of favoritism. If you were friends with leads or management you could be promoted to customer service, which was mostly composed of gossiping girls. Cabela's is really pushy with Club Cards. A lot of the customers don't want another credit card. They also push protection plans, which are the biggest waste of money. Most of the products already have manufacture warranties on them. Overall, my experience started out good. After almost two years of working there, I couldn't stand it.

Cabela's Photos

Store Front
Cabela's
Cabela's Corp. Office Sidney, NE
Cabela

+ Add Photo

Worked for Cabela's? Contribute to the Community!