Cabela's Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014

Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner
Thomas L. Millner

Pros
  • The employee discount is pretty good too and it's tiered based on seniority (in 22 reviews)

• It was a fun work place to just go and talk about hunting fishing and camping (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • If you work in the warehouse you'll have some fairly steady hours, otherwise you'll have a pretty bad work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• The pay isn't great and it's almost impossible to get a full time spot (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

It's in Your Nature

Current Employee - Process Improvement Manager  in  Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - Process Improvement Manager in Sidney, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unique leadership development opportunities; Variety of experience (Merchandising, Marketing, Retail, Strategy, Operations); Family values in a founder company; small town values in Sidney, NE (Corporate Headquarters); intentional efforts made for talent management; excellent communication enterprise wide; wonderful co-workers; people love their jobs

Cons

Company appears to be adding vertical layers at a rapid rate without justification of additional headcount; strategic planning is delayed, causing some delay in execution; capability maturity of project/change sponsorship is low in most areas - not so much a negative, but something to keep in mind when setting expectations

power sports department technician

Current Employee - Marine Technician  in  Dundee, MI
    Current Employee - Marine Technician in Dundee, MI

I have been working at Cabela's full-time for more than a year

Pros

free tech school to dealerships

Cons

it is a corporation so it takes forever to get things done

Great opportunities in a growing company

Current Employee - NICS Compliance Outfitter  in  Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - NICS Compliance Outfitter in Sidney, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discount, always opportunities for advancement if you work hard and display aptitude.

Cons

Culture at my particular store is lacking, which starts with lax dept managers. More micro managers than motivators and team builders. Schedule is also made harder than it has to be. Policy is to have one weekend out of four off but you only get the weekend off if you ask, small thing but affects culture.

Money put into improving management training with emphasis on culture and serving needs of team members will translate to happier more productive employees and less turnover, equaling effiency. Also sales training would also help drive sales. I work at the gun counter where the staff is knowledgable and friendly but use poor sales teqniques when dealing with customers. Seems like a lot of opportunity for improvement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A mostly relaxed retail atmosphere with knowledgeable and competent staff.

Current Employee - Club Card Outfitter
    Current Employee - Club Card Outfitter

I have been working at Cabela's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers are generally friendly and down to earth, no real drama. Good benefits. Some recognition for goals achieved. Clean and organized. Top notch products to sell. Some nice sales incentives, gift cards, paycheck spiffs, etc. Always a nice employee discount.

Cons

Work a lot of weekends, but that is true of most retail. Ability to move up promised to be easy, not really from what I saw and experienced. Some staffing cuts come out of the blue without warning.

Give people more of a chance to move up, think a bit outside of the box. Let people cross train more and multiple roles. Encourage personal growth, give direction and input into growing your employees skills.

It was fun but they dont tell you when they qre going to lay you off.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Rogers, AR
    Former Employee - Cashier in Rogers, AR

I worked at Cabela's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great training, great pay, great customer service skills, enjoyed going to work every single day i woke up.

Cons

Bad hours, bad management, poor communication, few raises, stuck up, etc. also never let anyone know they were laying them off until the day before it was going to happen

Be more up front with your employees.

Lies and deceit.

Former Employee - Outfitter  in  Lacey, WA
    Former Employee - Outfitter in Lacey, WA

I worked at Cabela's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a job. The discount, if you last long enough. You will learn a ton. It will look super fine on your resume.

Cons

The "culture" they beat into your head is a joke! Some of the issues they have experienced are retail 101, yet they struggle so hard to find solutions. You best be ready to be lied to! Pay stinks. Even if you are the most qualified, NO chance for advancement unless your "in someone's circle." You must think as they think, act as they act. There is no room for that breath of fresh are type of employee.

Keep up on your list's of people shredding the rules. GET THEM OUT. As a manager you cannot have "friends" in the store...so favoritism cannot show it's ugly head. Honesty sometimes is painful...don't pull any punches....tell the truth.

Alright

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Hamburg, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Hamburg, PA

I have been working at Cabela's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent hours during holiday rush.

Cons

Corporate does not really think rationally, we spoil customers, metrics are unreasonable.

Carrot on a stick

Former Employee - Club Card Outfitter  in  Rogers, AR
    Former Employee - Club Card Outfitter in Rogers, AR

I worked at Cabela's part-time for less than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed my co-workers, the flexible schedule, and the atmosphere of outdoor retail.

Cons

Managers were always promising "full time" positions about to open, and room for promotion to keep part time zero benefit employees working hard. Trying to force everyone to sign an arbitration agreement that no one would sue them if fired, then firing 15% of management the next week...sounds fishy.

Don't ask employees to do something that you yourself aren't willing to do, you need to lead not boss.

"We sell fun!" With a side incompetence.

Current Employee - Various
    Current Employee - Various

I have been working at Cabela's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome coworkers, we really felt like a family. First year working here was incredible but as the glamour faded after the grand opening a mass exodus occurred and many of us became overworked. A handful of us stuck around even when hours were slashed to well below 10/week.

Cons

I constantly strived to be the best outfitter I could be. Picking up shifts, learning every aspect of the store, effectively communicating with my leads and managers. But it never felt like I was taken seriously, I was constantly passed over for promotions without any reason given as to why. Full-time positions are the equivalent to a water fountain in the desert. Room for growth doesn't exist if you were hired to open a new store, but if you get a position a year or so after you will more than likely move up in the store. Yes, I seem disgruntled but that is only because I had such high hopes and aspirations when I started working there. To see myself being passed over for positions I have worked hard for I wonder if I have wasted the last two years working for a company that I never had a chance of moving up in.

Pay attention to the outfitters that actually stick around during the bad times and make an effort everyday, they are the ones holding the store together. Promote those that work hard and wish to move up in the company. Don't hinder employee growth. Don't overlook outfitters that lie, gossip, and backstab (stop promoting them as well).

First 10 months awesome, next 8 awful

I have been working at Cabela's for more than a year

Pros

Access to 3.5 and significant discounts through 3 Point 5

Cons

Cabela's has loaded itself with "retail specialists", primarily Lowe's and Home Depot people, not the outdoor enthusiast that Cabela's was previously built on. We do not carry rakes and bagged dirt, or 2x4's! We are an outdoor experience, guns, fishing, camping and hunting. Cabela's set the bar high for what is referred to as "Legendary Customer Service", but sadly that is a thing of the past. We have three primary service areas, the front end which is customer service and cashiers; Hardlines, which is fishing, optics, ammo and gun library; and Softlines which is camping, outdoor cooking, Logo, shoes and clothing of any kind. They have gone from three to six Outfitters staffing the floor during open hours to one or two. They have changed hours and Job descriptions in this store that do not match what Corporate advertises and says they are. If there is a problem, too bad. Attitudes and moral are below low. Pay scale is below what the Corporation says.

Hire employees that know Michigan's weather, fishing, camping and hunting seasons, ordering our stock, then deliver it to us when we need it, leaving it on the shelves in the store until the season has ended, and we will sell it. Provided a schedule of hours to work the floor, or hire stock people again the work freight, we can't do both at the same time. Stop worrying about Managerial Bonus and Executive Bonus, and focus on what this Company used to do, give real customer service. The experience of shopping at Cabela's is what brought people in, give it to them and they spend more. Please stop copying other companies products and charging more, not less for them. Actually know the geographical area you have expanded to. We are not at the Birch Run exit and do not have that amount traffic from I75 pulling into our parking lot. No one but locals can find the location where we are at, and it has severely effected our bottom line. Get billboards on I-75 that actually give our location, not just listing two cross roads, which no one out of the area can spell let alone find. Stop your expansion plan until you can fix your warehousing issues, and get us the stock we need to stay in business, instead of diverting everything to the Grand Openings and leaving our shelves empty.

Worked for Cabela's? Contribute to the Community!