www.cabelas.com

Updated December 22, 2014
2.9

Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner
Thomas L. Millner

Pros
  • The employee discount is pretty good too and it's tiered based on seniority (in 26 reviews)

• It was a fun work place to just go and talk about hunting fishing and camping (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • If you work in the warehouse you'll have some fairly steady hours, otherwise you'll have a pretty bad work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• A lot of the customers don't want another credit card (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Dont work at the DC unless you are a robot

Former Employee - Catalog Filler in Prairie du Chien, WI
    Former Employee - Catalog Filler in Prairie du Chien, WI

I worked at Cabela's

Pros

They treated there employees fairly well.
    The discount was okay.
    They have a lunch program set up.

Cons

I worked in the DC as a catalog picker. Most boring job, all you do is walk aimlessly up and down aisles and put stickers on merchandise on concrete flooring so after 8 + hours of work your feet hurt and your body hurts from going up and down the ladder to reach the merchandise on the higher shelves. Also the people that work there are not friendly at all very rude!! (I was only there seasonally).

Have better goals for employees.

Part-time Cashier, meh experience

Current Employee - Cashier in Rogers, AR
    Current Employee - Cashier in Rogers, AR

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee discount is great even for new employees, up to 25% off. Will work with your availability. Cashier starts at $10 an hour plus commissions even with no retail experience. Chance to advance is there or move to another store.

Cons

Hours are capped at 28 for part-time. If you go over 28 then your follow weeks will be reduced. Example work 35 hours this week, expect 20 next few weeks. Management can be a pain, but they get moved around or promoted quickly. Getting treated like an employee when shopping off the clock. Schedule is inconsistent when you have open availability. Long hiring and training process, over a month from interview to first check.

Listen to your employees' advice when they give it. Review employee performance.

Not a good place to work.

Former Employee - NICS Compliance Outfitter in Lonetree, CO
    Former Employee - NICS Compliance Outfitter in Lonetree, CO

I worked at Cabela's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people on the floor to work with. You do get discounts, but if an item is on sale, the discount is less.

Cons

Sr. Management is not good. Department managers are not that good. Leads and managers do not listen to the employees doing the work. Witnessed unethical work practices in the Gun Vault. Some workers treat you like a dog, as in if you make a mistake, your nose gets rubbed in it. I stayed one year so as not to loose vacation pay.

I have seen better management in a Boy Scout troop.

Is it really all about selling credit cards

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Cabela's

Pros

Employee discount on great products!

Cons

Club, club, club. Is it really all about the credit card? Yes, it provides 25% of the stores income. But that was because the store was great and customers wanted to be part of it. Now the store is a Credit Card Store that happens to have outdoor apparel and ammo.

Look at what made the company great - Branding. Customers, Outfitters, Merchandise. Cabela's did not become what it is because it had a strong credit card program. Customers are weary of the hype and so are the Outfitters.

Terrible

Former Employee - Clothing Outfitter in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Clothing Outfitter in Louisville, KY

I worked at Cabela's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people/ coworkers there, were for the most part were extremely friendly. That's about all I can say for the company though.

Cons

There are no set schedules. They wouldn't work with my school schedule. You have to give them your whole weekend for them to work with it and I have school on the weekend so that didn't work. If you are with a customer and code 3 trained they will make you leave your customer to get on a register. They will fired you and say you quit.

Decent time there

Current Employee - Floor Outfitter (Seasonal) in Rogers, AR
    Current Employee - Floor Outfitter (Seasonal) in Rogers, AR

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I work with (save for a handful) are amazingly sweet and try to make my time as a seasonal worthwhile and the pay is nice. Decent commission when doing kiosk sales, and contests to win gift cards and items at the lowest price are nice. 25% discount on most items as a first year employee are nice as well. Most customers are understanding of outfitters who don't run cash registers often, and sometimes even offer to find managers if none respond on the radio to a call.

Cons

Leadership is crap, to be honest. Some managers just sit in the break room and watch football, some floor leads will ask you to work another department and then get mad at you when you look like you're not busy (but in reality you'd JUST gotten finished with a group and had to take a breather), leads don't encourage teamwork and attempt to split people up, some managers disrespect and demean their employees. It also doesn't help when scheduling is wonky and instead of two people to one section to close, there's two people to four sections.

Learn that we're adults, not some children in a daycare. Hire more competent managers who're willing to work with outfitters, and teach the leads that sometimes working together on things gets them done faster and cleaner. Try and watch the outfitters as well and make sure they're taking breaks and lunches, and help cover for them if they're the only ones in their section.

Great corporate climate

Current Employee - Firearms Outfitter in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Firearms Outfitter in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Effective and efficient training is provided. Continuing training keeps us up to date on new rules and regulations. Product training is provided by the manufacturers reps. Vacation pay is provided for part time employees also.

Cons

We are expected to present the Cabela's Club Visa Credit Card to every customer we interact with. Many conversations do not easily afford that opportunity without feeling awkward.

Be more consistent in praising and rewarding outfitters who receive compliments from customers.

Current Employee - Outfitter in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Outfitter in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work. Fun talking to Customers about their Hunting, Fishing, Camping Trips. Employee discount isn't bad gets better over time. Best discounts are achieved through product training. Great place to work if you love the Outdoors and don't need a large paycheck. Good first Job or for someone who is retired.

Cons

Poor pay and having to work three out of four weekends per month and you have no set schedule. They only post the schedule two weeks in advance. The raises aren't much and there are lots of blackout days that the company won't let you take off. Having to take the advanced product training on your own time to get the best discounts. Having to ask all the customers if they want the Cabela's Credit Card is annoying to the Outfitters and the Customers since the Customers are always being asked if they want the Credit Card. Cabela's has lots of nice stuff but it's very difficult to afford it at the rate you're paid.

Pay the Employees more so they can afford to buy the Merchandise they are selling.

It was great!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cabela's part-time

Pros

They take care of everyone

Cons

There are no cons at all

you stink

Current Employee - Outfitter in Dundee, MI
    Current Employee - Outfitter in Dundee, MI

I have been working at Cabela's part-time

Pros

enjoy my co-workers.
    after seven years you can get a decent discount
    get to work with people who share my interest
    customers are great!
    My name not on front of store
    Good training, since we have so many new hires all the time..

Cons

pay is lousy, raises minimal, benefits a joke, everyday when I come in have to ask "who did we lose."
    not enough staff, scheduling does not seem rational,
    Merchandise quality has suffered. I buy much of my gear from Filson now. Cabela's sells very little Filson or other High quality items.
    Club Cards Club Cards Club Cards Club Cards

My guess is no one at Corporate has ever been GM of a Cabela's outlet.
    VOC's are juggled for the best outcome. They do not give an accurate picture since only satisfied customers are told of them. Good ole boy network a real hindrance.
    When I hired in, it was impressed on me that we don't sell anything you can't get elsewhere and that what we sold was customer service. That seems to have been forgotten! And its going to come back and bite Cabela's in the butt.
    When you treat employees badly it leads to high turnover with many poorly trained newbies instead of experienced outfitters. Combine this with bad an or absent management and it can lead to dissatisfied customers who don't come back. This is a real problem not only at new locations but well established stores. Hope someone reads this. ! I used to like Cabela's.

Cabela's Photos