Cabela's Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. WATCH YOUR BACK. Work elsewhere.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Cabela's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount is great, if you're lucky so are the people. That's about it. Work elsewhere.. Blah blah blah blah blah

Cons

Somebody is always out to get you. Management is clueless and senior management is just as bad. Senior management is absolutely retarted. Pardon me but wow. And pay is not good. Above minimum wage but not good enough to live. 9.50 starting for most positions. 20 cent annual raises sucks too.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. All of you.

Lead Sales Associate

I have been working at Cabela's full-time

Pros

High Energy and Busy Work Environment

Cons

Poor communication and too many management level positions in comparison to outfitters on sales floor.

A bank that happens to own a retail store

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Christiana, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Christiana, DE

I worked at Cabela's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Happened to work with some of the best co-workers possible who share the same interests. Employee discount is ok, amazon is cheaper.

Cons

This Place will suck the soul right out of you. Every day is more disorganized then the last. Can't keep shelves stocked, including Cabela's branded products, due to terrible operations. High school attitude from middle aged adults. Huge emphasis on club, management is clueless. Feels like we are constantly working in circles.

5. Don't Move to Sidney

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sidney, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good coworkers and decent discounts

Cons

Leadership is self serving and will do and say anything to make themselves look good. You will be stabbed in the back, it's just the way it is.

Advice to Management

Defend your people and show some interest in what they do.

6. dont work there

Former Employee - Cheker and Customerservice in Tualatin, OR
    Former Employee - Cheker and Customerservice in Tualatin, OR

I worked at Cabela's

Pros

nice customers and some of management

Cons

low pay hours very one week to another

7. From Customer Service to Credit Card

Former Employee - Outfitter in Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Outfitter in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at Cabela's

Pros

Wonderful bunch of people, good pay, great discounts (if you are around long enough)

Cons

My upper Management came from Wal'Mart and Sams club, and also brought the same ideas. The shift from Customer Service and the Good better best sales to relentless push of the club card ruined that store for us as employees as well as customers. its really disconcerting when your management doesn't know the diffrences between black powder muzzleloader and a cartridge rifle

Advice to Management

do what your employees do, and learn the departments, let them talk and learn with the customers. and stop with the credit card, people who want it will get it.

sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Allen, TX

I have been working at Cabela's full-time

Pros

Really can't think of any at present. Will keep an eye out for some! I hear there is ANOTHER round of cuts coming so maybe they will get the right ones this time.

Cons

There are now no scheduled optics outfitters EVER. Optics has a pretty high margin and a STEEP learning curve so there should be trained people there. We now have no subject matter experts on the very expensive (7-9 THOUSAND dollar thermal /night vision scopes. The gun counter now has to staff long guns, hand guns, black powder, GPS, knives, spotting scopes, range finders, knife sharpeners and optics. Most of the time we have three folks on the gun counter. It is not uncommon to help a customer for twenty minutes picking out a scope, knife or binos if you have two of three folks doing that then you have one person on the gun counter and people walk out without being helped. I should also mention that hunting is staffed very lean too so being out on the floor selling ammo, holsters or safes for thirty minutes at a time is a real possibility. One outfitter got caught SLEEPING in the gun vault and she was not even on the list of outfitters allowed in the vault. Some people can't go into the vault due to some new policy so they have to wait for another outfitter to get guns for them which can be really silly when the people that can go into the vault are at lunch. Forget about calling a " code three" which is supposed to bring help to the gun counter. You will get zero response or you will get a lecture about the lack of people that are gun safety trained. In my mind all senior managers and leads should be able to help in ALL areas of the store.

Advice to Management

Fire the big box clowns at the local level and at the board level. We can already see they are not keeping the Cabela's brand alive.

Decent Company - Still Young

Current Employee - Human Resources in Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Sidney, NE

I have been working at Cabela's (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed at the corporate office. It's a blessing and a curse. If you are used to a fast paced corporate environment, you wont find one here.

Cons

Accountability can be lacking at times.

Cabela's Response

Jul 17, 2015 – Employer Brand Specialist

Great call out on our culture here! As you know, culture is one of the things we all cherish with Cabela's, but it can mean different things for different people and it changes team to team. Thanks ... More

Clothing outfitter

Current Employee - Clothing Outfitter in Lacey, WA
    Current Employee - Clothing Outfitter in Lacey, WA

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

My managers are pretty nice try to help you get extra hours pretty easy job to do

Cons

hours all over the place from as long as 4 to 30 never know what's going on in the store store communication sucks

Advice to Management

Communicate with all associates not just the opening crew more full time positions

11. Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allen, TX

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool products, fun people, management is always trying to be personable

Cons

Cut hours all the time, not a good job for people who need a reliable schedule

Advice to Management

Understand that cutting labor to get a better bottom line number is not a moral or ethical solution

RSS Feed </> Embed