Cabela's Reviews

Reset

1. Great Place To Work - Terrible Location

Former Employee - TV Producer in Sidney, NE
    Former Employee - TV Producer in Sidney, NE

I worked at Cabela's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented, good benefits, fun environment, great bosses, great products, decent pay.

Cons

Sidney is in the middle of nowhere and does not offer very many positives other than Cabela's

Advice to Management

Move to Dever, give the video department more people to work with and keep doing what your doing.

2. Better than expected.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, PA

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I made a lot of professional friendships working here... Some I'm sure I will keep for a lifetime. Great employee incentives and pricing. Caring, awesome leads. Get to meet travelers from all over the world. We have fun!

Cons

They'd really rather fire you than give you more hours.... Lots of drama.... WORSE than high school.... Some fellow employees are very snobbish and a LOT of people treat this as a career.... Management and long term employees take young workers leaving for another job much too personally....

Advice to Management

I'd say probably to listen to what your employees have to say and to stop taking work place decisions so personally.

3. Administrative Assistant

I worked at Cabela's

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Great culture, and they really care about their employees at every level.

Cons

The only con I can think of is the location of the corporate office.

5. Unemployed

Former Employee - Outfitter in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Outfitter in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Cabela's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good place to work for a colledge student.as far as a career not going to happen if you like 10 dollars an hour and can live on that it's your kind of place.

Cons

Low pay,25 cent raises, hire and fire mentality, you are always on the chopping block, human resources is pathetic!!! Incompetent management, live and die on club cards, it's the walmart of outdoor stores!! Always understaffed because they can't keep the good people there.clueless outfitters that don't know anything.it's daycare for dus dums!!green bay store was like going to grade school instead of a workplace stupid morning gay meetings and child games.stupid pep rally chants to boost employee morale.stupid kid games made up by management! ! Really cabelas were all over 18 here.grow up stop living in preschool times.it goes on and on!!!

Advice to Management

Green bay management needs to act like adults.grow up change your diaper cause it all smells like some stinky poo!!!!

Unnecessary disappointment and frustration is readily growing...

Current Employee - Outfitter in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Outfitter in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

The best part of my day is the customers and their awesome personalities and various stories of their adventures. The second best part of my day is [most] of the people I work with/around are amazing, caring, and personable.
    If you love to be around and get to know people then this job is truly a perfect fit. If you do not like to interact with people and are just doing it for a job then please find a job somewhere else.
    Most of our managers are also amazing and know what it's like to be human.
    A couple of them need to learn how to be nice and appreciative of the people who work hard and have integrity.

Cons

They hire young, inexperienced, immature leads who lack any people skills at all while passing over people who have way more experience.
    The "full time availability" requirements are a double standard.
    They do not recognize the people who work hard as team players and follow all the rules. Instead, they recognize or promote people based on what seems like a buddy system.
    There is only about 45% of us who actually do all of the work (including greeting and interacting with every single customer). Of those 45% only about 30% work together, as a team, regardless of which department they are in.
    The managers are generally never available
    and, when called for, a different manager responds with a bad attitude.
    A lot of negativity is passed down to excited Outfitters which, in turn, makes the rest of the team negative.

Advice to Management

Please stop sending mixed messages.
    You tell us to escort customers to various departments if they are in search of something but then reprimand us for not being where we are supposed to be.
    Create morale by promoting unity.
    Exist in the minds and presence of your Outfitters.
    Lead by example. (Make sure all of the managers are as well as the Leads!)
    Please, please, please use sound judgement when assigning Lead positions. Arrogant and attitudinal people who have no life experiences to gauge their "professional" actions/ decisions upon have no business being in any type of supervisory position unless they are an extraordinary natural with leadership skills.
    Please be friendly to us over the walkie. We only ask for help when we need it.
     We know you're under stress, and have the pressure put on you, but that's also why you are in the position you hold.
    When we radio for someone there is no need to be dismissive or rude. Sometimes, certain Outfitters do not have their earpiece in but do have their radio on. Customers hear your response.
    Remember when you were in a non management position; treat us like we matter.
    When an Outfitter expresses interest in developing their new career with the company, please, do not dismiss them. Some of us actually want to make this store shine. Please help our commitment by showing yours.
    Read a few books by John Maxwell (The Journey From Success to Significance , Developing the Leader Within You, The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader, and so many more).

7. Decent culture and fast growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sidney, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Retail side of the business is growing quickly and there is lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

With such fast growth the company's culture is taking a hit and it reflects on the employees.

Advice to Management

Strive to maintain the culture or once again improve on it. Offer more feedback and development instead of documentation for simple mistakes.

8. Customer Experience Lead

Current Employee - Customer Experience Lead
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Lead

I have been working at Cabela's full-time

Pros

Outdoorsy culture, with like minded people. The atmosphere and customers are the best part. The discount programs, employee incentives, and break schedules made the work day/week manageable and engaging

Cons

The continual push for metrics gets a little old after a while. However, they offer great incentives to go after those goals Overall a great job, but less so in a leadership role. Occasionally, management will come down hard on you for missing controllable metrics.

Advice to Management

Show some appreciation beyond just metrics. Happy employees are productive employees.

9. Customer relations lead associate

Current Employee - Customer Relations Lead Associate in Grand Island, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Relations Lead Associate in Grand Island, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount. Flexible scheduling and friendly relaxed atmosphere. Freedom to wear whatever I like to work

Cons

As a lead or supervisor we have little power to help workers with schedule problems. The attendance policy has become very strict and even 1 minute late is tardy. Rigid scheduling rules

Advice to Management

Please reconsider the attendance policy changes

10. customer service

I worked at Cabela's

Pros

Easy to make a schedule to fit

Cons

At times to few hours available

Good place to work, low wages

Current Employee - Fire Arms Outfitter
    Current Employee - Fire Arms Outfitter

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Good leadership. Quality training

Cons

no benefits for part time, few full time positions, horrible pay

Advice to Management

Pay your outfitters a living wage and offer benefits to part time employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed