www.cabelas.com

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015

Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner
Thomas L. Millner

Pros
  • The employee discount is pretty good too and it's tiered based on seniority (in 26 reviews)

• It was a fun work place to just go and talk about hunting fishing and camping (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • If you work in the warehouse you'll have some fairly steady hours, otherwise you'll have a pretty bad work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• A lot of the customers don't want another credit card (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great corporate climate

Current Employee - Firearms Outfitter in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Firearms Outfitter in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Effective and efficient training is provided. Continuing training keeps us up to date on new rules and regulations. Product training is provided by the manufacturers reps. Vacation pay is provided for part time employees also.

Cons

We are expected to present the Cabela's Club Visa Credit Card to every customer we interact with. Many conversations do not easily afford that opportunity without feeling awkward.

Be more consistent in praising and rewarding outfitters who receive compliments from customers.

Current Employee - Outfitter in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Outfitter in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work. Fun talking to Customers about their Hunting, Fishing, Camping Trips. Employee discount isn't bad gets better over time. Best discounts are achieved through product training. Great place to work if you love the Outdoors and don't need a large paycheck. Good first Job or for someone who is retired.

Cons

Poor pay and having to work three out of four weekends per month and you have no set schedule. They only post the schedule two weeks in advance. The raises aren't much and there are lots of blackout days that the company won't let you take off. Having to take the advanced product training on your own time to get the best discounts. Having to ask all the customers if they want the Cabela's Credit Card is annoying to the Outfitters and the Customers since the Customers are always being asked if they want the Credit Card. Cabela's has lots of nice stuff but it's very difficult to afford it at the rate you're paid.

Pay the Employees more so they can afford to buy the Merchandise they are selling.

you stink

Current Employee - Outfitter in Dundee, MI
    Current Employee - Outfitter in Dundee, MI

I have been working at Cabela's part-time

Pros

enjoy my co-workers.
    after seven years you can get a decent discount
    get to work with people who share my interest
    customers are great!
    My name not on front of store
    Good training, since we have so many new hires all the time..

Cons

pay is lousy, raises minimal, benefits a joke, everyday when I come in have to ask "who did we lose."
    not enough staff, scheduling does not seem rational,
    Merchandise quality has suffered. I buy much of my gear from Filson now. Cabela's sells very little Filson or other High quality items.
    Club Cards Club Cards Club Cards Club Cards

My guess is no one at Corporate has ever been GM of a Cabela's outlet.
    VOC's are juggled for the best outcome. They do not give an accurate picture since only satisfied customers are told of them. Good ole boy network a real hindrance.
    When I hired in, it was impressed on me that we don't sell anything you can't get elsewhere and that what we sold was customer service. That seems to have been forgotten! And its going to come back and bite Cabela's in the butt.
    When you treat employees badly it leads to high turnover with many poorly trained newbies instead of experienced outfitters. Combine this with bad an or absent management and it can lead to dissatisfied customers who don't come back. This is a real problem not only at new locations but well established stores. Hope someone reads this. ! I used to like Cabela's.

awesome

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

great place to work and grow

Cons

The company needs to start looking at the internal mess they call an intranet and fix it!

Whats up ?

I worked at Cabela's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you like outdoors lifestyle you will like Cabelas

Cons

This company is stale. I had to get out. Cabela's Brand Products are not the quality that they think they are. The company is looking to un realistic profits. NOW sales are tanking. Watch out for Field and Stream. They have a good formula for success.

Take a look inside. The HR area is a mess and leadership in Merchandising is not professional. The CEO needs to take a leadership role.

Supply Chain Employee

Former Employee - Supply Chain Employee in Dundee, MI
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Employee in Dundee, MI

I worked at Cabela's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work was pretty basic, hours were good and pay was decent for a first year college student. Also got to work with people your own age.

Cons

The customers can be ruthless and management always schedules you on your requested days off. Fellow employees are unreliable and can leave you in a bind.

Treat the employee with more respect. The store is great itself, but the people running the store and not as educated as they should be and are fairly lazy.

Diversity whaaat?

I worked at Cabela's

Pros

There are nice small surrounding communities to live in

Cons

They Have no tolerance for anyone democratic, progressive or from the Northeast, regardless of competence or aptitude. They want you to come in and drive change, just not THAT change

Join the 21st century and look at how you are managing your company. Oh, and you should definitely look at the written procedures and record keeping (or absence of) policies of your HR department...........or keep yourself lawyered up.

Decent Company in Regression

Former Employee - Gun Counter Outfitter in Scarborough, ME
    Former Employee - Gun Counter Outfitter in Scarborough, ME

I worked at Cabela's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meeting and helping people interested in the outdoors. Employee discount. Most of the other outfitters were good people to work with.

Cons

Being forced to hawk credit cards to customers and receiving very little compensation for our efforts. Anyone who isn't management is expendable, replaceable. Management at the store I worked at was mired in hubris; thought they were smarter than the outfitters that worked the front line everyday. I had issues with my legs (multiple surgeries) and asked for mats behind the gun counter and nothing was ever done.

Stop being so paranoid in regards to your outfitters. Listen to what Gun Counter Outfitters say in regards to customers they find suspicious. These outfitters take pride in their work. Pride is all they have, because pay isn't commensurate to the knowledge and customer service some give. I am amazed how some poor employees are still there while amazing outfitters have been fired because the Quarterly Report looks better when there are less people on the payroll. The way Cabela's hires and fires was getting ridiculous when I left.

It was great!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cabela's part-time

Pros

They take care of everyone

Cons

There are no cons at all

Okay until you really do your job.

Former Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Allen, TX

I worked at Cabela's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good friendly environment. Plus its in an outdoor paradise! The company has a great history and future.

Cons

Terminated for leaving the property after a shoplifter who STOLE A GUN! He was caught and convicted of a strike 3 felony!

Your rules and policies go only so far. What would it look like for crimes to be committed with the stolen gun?

Cabela's Photos