www.cabelas.com
Employer Engaged

Terrible

Former Employee - Clothing Outfitter in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Clothing Outfitter in Louisville, KY

I worked at Cabela's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people/ coworkers there, were for the most part were extremely friendly. That's about all I can say for the company though.

Cons

There are no set schedules. They wouldn't work with my school schedule. You have to give them your whole weekend for them to work with it and I have school on the weekend so that didn't work. If you are with a customer and code 3 trained they will make you leave your customer to get on a register. They will fired you and say you quit.

you stink

Current Employee - Outfitter in Dundee, MI
    Current Employee - Outfitter in Dundee, MI

I have been working at Cabela's part-time

Pros

enjoy my co-workers.
    after seven years you can get a decent discount
    get to work with people who share my interest
    customers are great!
    My name not on front of store
    Good training, since we have so many new hires all the time..

Cons

pay is lousy, raises minimal, benefits a joke, everyday when I come in have to ask "who did we lose."
    not enough staff, scheduling does not seem rational,
    Merchandise quality has suffered. I buy much of my gear from Filson now. Cabela's sells very little Filson or other High quality items.
    Club Cards Club Cards Club Cards Club Cards

My guess is no one at Corporate has ever been GM of a Cabela's outlet.
    VOC's are juggled for the best outcome. They do not give an accurate picture since only satisfied customers are told of them. Good ole boy network a real hindrance.
    When I hired in, it was impressed on me that we don't sell anything you can't get elsewhere and that what we sold was customer service. That seems to have been forgotten! And its going to come back and bite Cabela's in the butt.
    When you treat employees badly it leads to high turnover with many poorly trained newbies instead of experienced outfitters. Combine this with bad an or absent management and it can lead to dissatisfied customers who don't come back. This is a real problem not only at new locations but well established stores. Hope someone reads this. ! I used to like Cabela's.

awesome

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

great place to work and grow

Cons

The company needs to start looking at the internal mess they call an intranet and fix it!

Whats up ?

I worked at Cabela's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you like outdoors lifestyle you will like Cabelas

Cons

This company is stale. I had to get out. Cabela's Brand Products are not the quality that they think they are. The company is looking to un realistic profits. NOW sales are tanking. Watch out for Field and Stream. They have a good formula for success.

Take a look inside. The HR area is a mess and leadership in Merchandising is not professional. The CEO needs to take a leadership role.

Diversity whaaat?

I worked at Cabela's

Pros

There are nice small surrounding communities to live in

Cons

They Have no tolerance for anyone democratic, progressive or from the Northeast, regardless of competence or aptitude. They want you to come in and drive change, just not THAT change

Join the 21st century and look at how you are managing your company. Oh, and you should definitely look at the written procedures and record keeping (or absence of) policies of your HR department...........or keep yourself lawyered up.

Part-time Cashier, meh experience

Current Employee - Cashier in Rogers, AR
    Current Employee - Cashier in Rogers, AR

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is great even for new employees, up to 25% off. Will work with your availability. Cashier starts at $10 an hour plus commissions even with no retail experience. Chance to advance is there or move to another store.

Cons

Hours are capped at 28 for part-time. If you go over 28 then your follow weeks will be reduced. Example work 35 hours this week, expect 20 next few weeks. Management can be a pain, but they get moved around or promoted quickly. Getting treated like an employee when shopping off the clock. Schedule is inconsistent when you have open availability. Long hiring and training process, over a month from interview to first check.

Listen to your employees' advice when they give it. Review employee performance.

Current Employee - Outfitter in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Outfitter in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work. Fun talking to Customers about their Hunting, Fishing, Camping Trips. Employee discount isn't bad gets better over time. Best discounts are achieved through product training. Great place to work if you love the Outdoors and don't need a large paycheck. Good first Job or for someone who is retired.

Cons

Poor pay and having to work three out of four weekends per month and you have no set schedule. They only post the schedule two weeks in advance. The raises aren't much and there are lots of blackout days that the company won't let you take off. Having to take the advanced product training on your own time to get the best discounts. Having to ask all the customers if they want the Cabela's Credit Card is annoying to the Outfitters and the Customers since the Customers are always being asked if they want the Credit Card. Cabela's has lots of nice stuff but it's very difficult to afford it at the rate you're paid.

Pay the Employees more so they can afford to buy the Merchandise they are selling.

It was great!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cabela's part-time

Pros

They take care of everyone

Cons

There are no cons at all

Great Company

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Enjoy the people, friendships and customers. Some managers are excellent while others have PLENTY of room for improvement!

Cons

Compensation is on the low end of the scale because of "New Store Opening". However, there is little room for increases so don't go in looking to make more any time soon.

Find managers who are committed to being LEADERS.

Can't stand the job anymore

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

good people to work with
    decent pay

Cons

terrible management
    dont work with school schedules
    they will drop different rules and policies on you out of nowhere putting you in a bind and telling you to fix it yourself

Cabela's Photos