Cabinets To Go!

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
1.4

Thomas Sullivan

Quickly growing into a failure.....

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cabinets To Go! full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy product to sell.

Cons

Extremely terrible at disseminating information down to the retail level. Terrible inventory planning and purchasing. Expect employees to pick up the slack for an incompetent upper management.

Hire people who know the business. Cabinets to Go is not Lumber Liquidators.

I should've read these reviews before I started working here!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hallandale Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hallandale Beach, FL

I worked at Cabinets To Go! full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nope ... I can't think of any pros about this place either. However, the only good thing to come out of this 'opportunity' is that it motivated me like never before to find a much better job ... and I found one within three months of starting here!

Cons

This would be too extensive to list, but it would also illustrate my poor decision-making in accepting the offer to become one of their managers. As most other reviews have noted, inventory and logistics probably ranks as the highest issues this company has.

The 'boiler room' approach that upper management has to increase sales, only instigates added stress and encourages employees to lie to customers to get the sale. Case in point, I returned to the store a couple of months after I left to find that I still had three orders waiting to be completed. My hats off to all employees on the front lines, because I learned to come up with creative ways to explain delays to angry customers.

Get your inventory and logistics straight! The company has a good product, but the entire package crumbles when your employees are trying to fill the orders. It's amazing the amount of customers that are retained even with these delays, but imagine the success if you actually had the product in stock.

Which brings me to my last point, change the name! A person walks into a store that's called: Cabinets To Go. He speaks to a friendly representative that takes the time to answer all the questions and designs the perfect kitchen at the best price. The client smiles, pays for his cabinets ... and then WAITS for his cabinets to arrive. As some clients questioned to me, if the name of the store is Cabinets To Go ... it would imply that you can walk in, pick out your cabinets ... and take them ... TO GO ... at that moment. I'm just sayin' ...

Incompetence at its best with current company president Jeff Linden.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Cabinets To Go! full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Tom Sullivan, who is in fact the owner of the company, but not overly involved in day to day operations is a genuinely good guy, who made the unfortunate choice of hiring Jeff Linden to lead the company. This company will once again be a good company to work for, once Jeff has been relieved of his position, and his numerous errors are corrected, and the customer is made the priority instead of false EOM numbers. I guess the greatest pro was to have worked for Tom, although indirectly. There are a great many good employees within the company...intelligent, helpful, team oriented players. I believe I have made some lifelong friends during my tenure with CTG.

Cons

Where to begin? Struggling with inventory issues, and poorly planned supply chain transitions has been an issue for well over a year at this point. The President of the company, Jeff Linden, has little to no understanding of the industry,has seemingly made no effort to learn it, and repeatedly fails to learn from his mistakes. He takes absolutely no ownership of his mistakes, but instead blames everyone else for the outcome of his failures. He tends to surround himself with those that will parrot him, and has absolutely no tolerance for constructive criticism, and in fact will bully and attempt to intimidate anyone that speaks up with a view other than his. The result of his poor planning and decisions has left the company in a free fall. Customer orders have gone from a 1-2 week lead time, to 3 week lead time, then 4-6 weeks and as of June 2014 are at a 6-8 week lead time. 80% of a customers order can get filled...but vital pieces will be missing and on back order, with Purchase Orders constantly being delayed by weeks and months, with no advance warning. This leaves the store employees as the front line and face to the customer, dealing with dissatisfied, frustrated and at times, hostile customers. The first half of 2014, 90% of my job became crises management....dealing with irate customers...phone calls, emails, etc. My stress level as well as that of my employees was off the chart. When your whole body tenses at the sound of the phone ringing....you know its going to be a long day...week...month. Promises month after month of getting ahead of the inventory issues were just that,,,promises..empty promises. National sales calls that are twice monthly became a waste of time......rainbows and unicorns, eventually no one would speak up and ask questions because we had all learned that Jeff is intolerant of criticism....or even questions for which he hadn't been given advance notice and didn't have a "canned" answer for. Implementing new software that he swore had been tested with every possible scenario...finding out time and time again that it just isn't compatible with the POS system. Having stores close out orders that haven't been received by the customer in order to make EOM #'s.....really just unethical practices. What good is falsifying EOM #'s to reach an arbitrary "goal" if that goal isn't truly met? Ahh...I guess I could go on and on....but the truth is..until Jeff is removed and replaced the current state of affairs will continue. Sad, but true. For work-life balance I would rate this job as a 0....working 50-70 hours a week, one day off a week and even that day is interrupted by calls about issues from the store/customers. Low pay/salary vs industry standards, and no cost of living adjustment based on geographic location.

Jeff....resign. Stop blaming others for your ineptness. There is a good core group of employees who want nothing more than to do their job, work with their customers and provide the customers with a great customer experience....but you are in their way. Make the customer the priority once again.

Never work here

Current Employee - Design Associate in Caledonia, WI
    Current Employee - Design Associate in Caledonia, WI

I have been working at Cabinets To Go! full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get a pay check.
    You realize you need to make a change in your life once you have worked here, unless you are stupid enough to pursue a career here.

Cons

Have to work weekends, not a big enough employees to ask off weekends, nothing to do, boring, the company never has product in stock and can not make promises to customers, you do not get ANY vacation time until you worked here for a year, pay is low, commission is only 3% of what you sell, unorganized, the sales employees have to deal with a lot of abuse from customers. I wanted to cry everyday before working here. No training, and one of the other employees is too incompetent.

Stop making promises you can't keep.
    Treat your employees better

Company has too many problems they past on to the sales force

Former Employee - Store Leader in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Store Leader in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cabinets To Go! full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck
    You get sales and design experience

Cons

Upper management does not understand cabinetry
    Low pay for managers
    Product issues prevent you from making commissions
    Damages your selling reputation
    Upper management fires competent employees preferring complacent ones
    Corrupt resourcing of product (not the owners fault)
    Completely non competitive on the west coast
    No training, impossible to fill your clients order, and your have to teach yourself everything because cabinets to go offer no support or training for their sales staff.

Get rid of your overhead. Also, get your head out of your arrogant asses. You lost some incredible sales people due to your choices of store locations and company policies. Also, do not make up criminal reasons to fire people when you have no proof. this did not happen to me, but to several of the long term employees who I left behind. If your not gonna press charges, it didn't happen. Don't act like the big box stores when your advertising makes so much fun of the home depot, lowes, and other large brand store that sell cabinetry. All these things adversely affect your customers who build relationship to you threw your sales staff. You may get lucky and have someone tutor you... untill they get fired or leave.

Terrible company to work for

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cabinets To Go! full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cannot think of any pros.

Cons

You are given tons of responsibilities with ZERO direction or training. Upper management will be quick to repremand any mistakes made, even though there are no policies or procedures to be followed. They give no support at all. This is a cabinet chain that cannot keep stock of their product. Their core business strategy is to overload all of the front line employees and just keep yelling SELL SELL SELL! Even when they have no inventory to sell.

Develop the infrastructure the company desperately needs. Provide the support your staff needs. Get a clue, and learn something about the cabinet industry. Train your employees. Be honest with your employees, stop making promises that you cannot keep.