CableLabs Reviews

Reset
3.9
CableLabs President & CEO Phil McKinney
Phil McKinney

1. Happy in my first year, looking forward to many more.

Current Employee - Principal in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Principal in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Working with some of the brightest engineers and thought leaders in the industry. - Collegial work environment, but where you feel self-motivated to produce. - I get to think 5-10 years out, hypothesizing what the competitive landscape will look like and how our stakeholders can capitalize on opportunities and be wary of risks.

Cons

Not so much of a con but a change: I've always worked in cash-flow, P&L driven companies. This is my first experience in a non-profit R&D environment. Even when we identify opportunities, we need to sell them to our stakeholders

Advice to Management

As the industry evolves, make sure CL stays a step ahead. CL should (could?) be a recruiting ground for the industry, let's embrace it.

2. Innovation and Agility

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Work-Life Balance, Work on cutting edge technologies, Contribute to develop new architectures and technical publications, patents etc. In short very rewarding to work here with wizards of technolgy

Cons

Nothing so terribly wrong so far.

Advice to Management

Keep executing well. Retain good talent.

3. Superb support for high performance

Pros

Great focus on achieving my best. I'm well resourced, highly engaged with my team and managers, and the benefits package is superb.

Cons

This is an intimidating group of peers. Everybody is well credentialed, performs at the highest levels, and just generally know what they're doing.

Advice to Management

Ensure high engagement of all employees with customers (members).

5. ok

I worked at CableLabs (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is trying to institute a new culture but until they get rid of old cranky employees it won't happen.

Cons

Managers have an old way of doing things and are resistant to change.

Advice to Management

Listen to what the other companies are doing in order to retain good people.

6. Grow, Learn and Make a Big Impact with the Best People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) It's rare you have an opportunity to not only influence the technology direction of a company, but to do it for multiple industries is awesome. 2) Diverse opportunities. At CableLabs, I've seen people working on software, wireless, cloud infrastructure and services, new user interfaces (3d), and fiber broadband in addition to cable TV and broadband modems. 3) The work ranges from architecture, engineering, development and operations. As a company of 200 people or so, there are opportunities to move around and work on what you want to work on. 4) The office work environment is awesome. CableLabs recently remodeled our work areas and it looks something more like what you would see at other high tech companies like LinkedIn, Google or Facebook in Silicon Valley. 5) Innovation is a major focus and there is a big push by leadership to become even better at creating new ideas that could have impact now or years down the road. 6) People. CableLabs has some amazing talent, across all parts of the company; labs, R&D, strategy, IT, operations, etc.

Cons

1) Ramp up the focus on software (even more). If it isn't yet, everything is being virtualized and controlled by or being transformed into software. 2) Sometimes the internal nay sayers can get pretty vocal and create their own infinite feedback loop. Don't be afraid to push back when they are being critical just to be critics, or for the sake of being negative.

Advice to Management

1) Keep focusing on the culture. Transforming CableLabs from where it was before Phil (CEO), to today, to the company we want to be in the future is hard work and takes tons of perseverance. 2) Hire great talent, but only great talent who also fits the desired culture. Don't sacrifice culture for technical skills or specialties. Don't be afraid to move out people who don't fit the culture - others will respect you for it. 3) Shutdown any remaining silos or non-team players from the old culture. 4) Leverage the best leaders (culture + leadership + technically) and build the company and culture around them.

7. A great career move for me

Current Employee - Principal Architect in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Architect in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time

Pros

I joined CableLabs just over a year ago from a major European telecoms organization where I led a diversity of technology R&D areas for many years. The CableLabs recruitment experience was thorough and extremely professionally handled. As a European national, an extremely important aspect – indeed a potential showstopper, was to ensure successful application for an H-1B visa. The US Immigration process is extremely rigorous and involved validation of my international qualifications for equivalence to recognized US qualifications. CableLabs did not leave anything to chance, a legal firm based in Denver was assigned to handle my case and during the whole process I was kept informed and hand-held right up to the point where I attended the US embassy in London for interview. Immediately after I became an employee, the "on-boarding" process was very thorough and professional. For example, it included a session with the company lawyer to be briefed on the role of CableLabs and how we relate to our MSO members. This was very valuable and I recognized many of the legal imperatives from my previous role. The moment I arrived at CableLabs in Louisville the friendly team made me feel at home. That feeling has never left me. I quickly got to know people as the open plan offices with convenient meeting spaces fosters collaboration and the kind of ad-hoc conversations that often lead to new ideas in an energized R&D environment. CableLabs exemplifies everything that I would hope for in an employer and I haven't looked back since I joined. It truly is a privilege to work here.

Cons

I haven't encountered any cons of working here. My only regret is that I work remotely from home and whenever I spend time in Louisville or our offices in Sunnyvale I don't want to leave as the atmosphere is so positive and energized.

Advice to Management

Over the past three years, the culture at CableLabs has rapidly evolved under our new CEO Phil McKinney to adapt to the changing business needs of our MSO members, and there has been a healthy churn of skills as the industry evolves to a software-based networking future. This needs to continue, and it is important to join-up the various skill centers – particularly networks and software, across CableLabs to maximize the potential for innovation which often happens at the intersection of different technology domains.

Aug 4, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Partner

Culture at CableLabs is at our core - we are working hard to be sure we hire and develop the right talent so everyone thrives in this culture. We appreciate your insights and so glad to have you on ... More

8. Senior Architect

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

Pros

Salary and benefits are Okay. There some good decent people working at this company.

Cons

CableLabs has all disadvantages of a corrupt non-competitive corporate environment: Too political; no vision at all; lots of stress for nothing; you need to join cliques to grow; despite a lot of rhetoric there is little opportunity for innovation. The management get big bucks but sucks. I wish I had never joined this company. Avoid at all costs!

Jul 31, 2015 – Principal Architect, Network Technologies

I am a current employee at CableLabs having joined just over a year ago. I do not recognize any of the behaviors mentioned in this review. It is not true that you need to join cliques to grow, I have ... More

9. A beautiful place, set to become even more awesome

Current Employee - Security Architect in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Security Architect in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Trust, opportunity to work on cutting edge, huge impact on industry, awesome talent, great working environment overall.

Cons

It is always hard to balance innovation and 'getting work done'. I think the leadership is striving to strike that balance, but it is yet to be achieved. Once that balance is struck, there will be more satisfaction in terms of 'accomplishing things', yet spending time on innovation.

Advice to Management

You are on the right track, honestly.

Aug 4, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Glassdoor.

10. Headed in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- CableLabs is a growing and changing company working to broaden their relevance and influence. Being involved in that process from the ground up has been really rewarding.

Cons

- Hard to translate what you do here to other companies. Lots of the jobs on the operations side have a little bit of everything, so it may be hard to meet the requirements for a specific job outside of CableLabs.

Advice to Management

Keep heading in the right direction. The efforts toward transparency and culture change are being noticed and appreciated.

Good company to improve your skills early in your career

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The starting pay, health insurance, and 401k matching are all excellent. We also have plenty of vacation, holidays and sick days, and we're encouraged to use them. Everyone I've met at CableLabs is nice and professional. It's easy to get sent to conferences, even as a low-level employee. There's a large variety of projects, so you'll almost always have opportunities to keep learning. Management isn't stingy about money. If you need expensive equipment to do your job, they'll buy it for you with no hassle. My job opportunities have significantly increased since starting here. It's a nice feeling, getting monthly emails from Google asking if you're suuure you don't want to change jobs.

Cons

A lot of our work is very cable- or TV-industry specific (DOCSIS, DLNA, MPEG, cable boxes, etc.). Most ex-employees seem to work at cable companies. This isn't necessarily a downside, but it's something you should be aware of. The cable industry isn't very open (see: DLNA), and tends to reinvent wheels or come up with overly complex solutions (see: DLNA). This seems to be getting better in some areas (involvement in HTML, for example). You'll probably get a decent bonus every year, but raises are worthless. Upper management has expressed a desire to lower pay to the industry average (despite the fact that you don't get above-average talent with average pay).

RSS Feed </> Embed