CableLabs Reviews

CableLabs President & CEO Phil McKinney
Phil McKinney

1. Headed in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- CableLabs is a growing and changing company working to broaden their relevance and influence. Being involved in that process from the ground up has been really rewarding.

Cons

- Hard to translate what you do here to other companies. Lots of the jobs on the operations side have a little bit of everything, so it may be hard to meet the requirements for a specific job outside of CableLabs.

Keep heading in the right direction. The efforts toward transparency and culture change are being noticed and appreciated.

2. Good company to improve your skills early in your career

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The starting pay, health insurance, and 401k matching are all excellent. We also have plenty of vacation, holidays and sick days, and we're encouraged to use them.
    Everyone I've met at CableLabs is nice and professional.
    It's easy to get sent to conferences, even as a low-level employee.
    There's a large variety of projects, so you'll almost always have opportunities to keep learning.
    Management isn't stingy about money. If you need expensive equipment to do your job, they'll buy it for you with no hassle.
    My job opportunities have significantly increased since starting here. It's a nice feeling, getting monthly emails from Google asking if you're suuure you don't want to change jobs.

Cons

A lot of our work is very cable- or TV-industry specific (DOCSIS, DLNA, MPEG, cable boxes, etc.). Most ex-employees seem to work at cable companies. This isn't necessarily a downside, but it's something you should be aware of.
    The cable industry isn't very open (see: DLNA), and tends to reinvent wheels or come up with overly complex solutions (see: DLNA). This seems to be getting better in some areas (involvement in HTML, for example).
    You'll probably get a decent bonus every year, but raises are worthless. Upper management has expressed a desire to lower pay to the industry average (despite the fact that you don't get above-average talent with average pay).

3. CableLabs is a fabulous company to work with, especially in the last three years where its culture now sets the bar.

Current Employee - Lead Architect
    Current Employee - Lead Architect

I have been working at CableLabs full-time

Pros

Respect for people is primary and evidenced with this companies attitudes and actions. There are many leading-edge projects available, and there is room for all to shine. Hard work is handsomely rewarded. Many sharp people work here, pay is much better than most companies rates (depending on position) and the benefits are stellar - I've never seen such great benefits.

Cons

The work pace is very fast compared to other industries, but speed has to happen to stay at the leading edge. There aren't many cons here. Some managers are better than others (but this happens in all firms), but all are approachable.

Embrace new management ideas willingly. Have a unified message across all divisions. Continue with the great changes that are already taking place. (Speed, Agility, Innovation, course corrections, Iteration)

Great for the bank account bad for the resume

I have been working at CableLabs full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits, smart people

Cons

Not a well respected company, as a current employee looking for a job, CableLabs on my resume is not doing me any favors, I guess it takes looking for a new job to learn this.

- Lots of politics for such a small company
    - would agree with another persons review "not as cutting edge as other tech companies"
    - Sr. Management is more of a miss then a hit
    - When I started, I was advised of the distrust of the HR Dept. This proved to be an accurate evaluation in my opinion
    - It is known across the company that our annual employee surveys are read by C-levels with respondents names attached to the survey (so much for it being called anonymous)

Find a way to make yourself relevant. Even though you have no competition it may help to operate like you do.

Good. Great people to work with

I worked at CableLabs

Pros

Benefits and Interesting work. Great working environment

Cons

Too political. Difficult sometimes to innovate when the customer doesn't want what you deliver

Very professional and respectful organization that offers great work/life balance and tech challenges that go beyond.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, benefits, challenging work, collaborative, team oriented; great wellness and other programs.

Cons

Groups are in silos based on tech projects; not much ability to crossover so career opportunities are typically within your own technology area.
    Leaders/Execs are great people but need more deep leadership skills to make the hard decisions.

Get training for these leaders/execs - help to make them great so they can really lead.
    Allow those interested in other technology areas to "cross-over" to new areas to inspire creativity and learn new things.

Interesting company to work for

Current Employee - Lead Architect in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Lead Architect in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Positive culture, overall good benefits, opportunity to interact with other industries, good exposure to various technologies, great place to work for if you enjoy collaborating with different companies, great place to work for if you enjoy developing new standards for technologies

Cons

not as cutting edge as other tech companies, most technology activities focused around the cable industry which is not the most agile industry, less focus on software oriented technology development

Compete harder, understand who your competition is

CableLabs Simply Rocks!

I have been working at CableLabs

Pros

They provide a pleasant environment and are very fair to their workers.
    Great benefits including lots of free food!
    Great salary and bonus package.
    Wonderful people to work with.

Cons

They're too anonymous. Who was I working for?

Reveal yourself? You are like a ninja.

CableLabs is a great personal and technical development organization, which focuses on employee health and happiness.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Operations managers and staff are incredible. New leadership is very adamant in 'practicing what they preach'. They invest greatly in their employees.

Cons

Middle management is still very much stuck in the rut of silos and politicing. There is also a huge need for the organization to move quickly on personnel - there is an unspoken 'six month minimum' for contract to hire positions, which causes some incredible talent to be lost or disillusioned.

A good place to work.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at CableLabs as a contractor

Pros

The work environment is pleasant and the pay is good. They treat employees and contractors well and provide a good work/life balance.

Cons

Management often waits until last minute to make decisions on personnel. Poor communication from upper management on long term direction. The work can be boring although that is more a job/project specific issue than a company-wide one.