CableLabs Reviews

Updated July 9, 2014
3.5

CableLabs President & CEO Phil McKinney
Phil McKinney

Very professional and respectful organization that offers great work/life balance and tech challenges that go beyond.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, benefits, challenging work, collaborative, team oriented; great wellness and other programs.

Cons

Groups are in silos based on tech projects; not much ability to crossover so career opportunities are typically within your own technology area.
    Leaders/Execs are great people but need more deep leadership skills to make the hard decisions.

Get training for these leaders/execs - help to make them great so they can really lead.
    Allow those interested in other technology areas to "cross-over" to new areas to inspire creativity and learn new things.

Great for the bank account bad for the resume

I have been working at CableLabs full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits, smart people

Cons

Not a well respected company, as a current employee looking for a job, CableLabs on my resume is not doing me any favors, I guess it takes looking for a new job to learn this.

- Lots of politics for such a small company
    - would agree with another persons review "not as cutting edge as other tech companies"
    - Sr. Management is more of a miss then a hit
    - When I started, I was advised of the distrust of the HR Dept. This proved to be an accurate evaluation in my opinion
    - It is known across the company that our annual employee surveys are read by C-levels with respondents names attached to the survey (so much for it being called anonymous)

Find a way to make yourself relevant. Even though you have no competition it may help to operate like you do.

Good. Great people to work with

I worked at CableLabs

Pros

Benefits and Interesting work. Great working environment

Cons

Too political. Difficult sometimes to innovate when the customer doesn't want what you deliver

Interesting company to work for

Current Employee - Lead Architect in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Lead Architect in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Positive culture, overall good benefits, opportunity to interact with other industries, good exposure to various technologies, great place to work for if you enjoy collaborating with different companies, great place to work for if you enjoy developing new standards for technologies

Cons

not as cutting edge as other tech companies, most technology activities focused around the cable industry which is not the most agile industry, less focus on software oriented technology development

Compete harder, understand who your competition is

CableLabs Simply Rocks!

I have been working at CableLabs

Pros

They provide a pleasant environment and are very fair to their workers.
    Great benefits including lots of free food!
    Great salary and bonus package.
    Wonderful people to work with.

Cons

They're too anonymous. Who was I working for?

Reveal yourself? You are like a ninja.

CableLabs is a great personal and technical development organization, which focuses on employee health and happiness.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Operations managers and staff are incredible. New leadership is very adamant in 'practicing what they preach'. They invest greatly in their employees.

Cons

Middle management is still very much stuck in the rut of silos and politicing. There is also a huge need for the organization to move quickly on personnel - there is an unspoken 'six month minimum' for contract to hire positions, which causes some incredible talent to be lost or disillusioned.

A good place to work.

I worked at CableLabs as a contractor

Pros

The work environment is pleasant and the pay is good. They treat employees and contractors well and provide a good work/life balance.

Cons

Management often waits until last minute to make decisions on personnel. Poor communication from upper management on long term direction. The work can be boring although that is more a job/project specific issue than a company-wide one.

Great place to work with a largely positive environment

Current Employee - Senior Architect in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Architect in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Provides good benefits and salary, a largely positive environment that believes in employee empowerment. Its a research and development lab that provides a platform to learn a lot of new things and connect with the cable industry at large.

Cons

CableLabs does R&D for the cable industry and traditionally the cable industry has been a very closed industry. Does not have the fast pace of innovation that is seen in the rest of the tech industry at large.

CableLabs traditional role has been to be a technology facilitator. However the cable industry is going thru a transition and we need to understand that we have to be instigators also along with facilitators. We need to expand our horizon and venture into new technologies instead of always playing it safe.

I found Cablelabs a fantastic place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I worked at CableLabs

Pros

My colleagues were great to work with, and it was stimulating working with some of the cable industry experts.

Cons

Fluctuating budgets sometimes affect commitment to some projects.

Unrealized Potential due to a lack of executive management people skills and strategic vision.

Current Employee - Principal Architect in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Architect in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs

Pros

The Cable industry is always evolving and moves pretty quickly. CableLabs staff is strong technically and has in depth experience. The employees are pleasant to work with.

Cons

Executives seem to focus on administrative, low importance busy work and pitting various groups within the matrix organization against each other.

Develop a strategic vision that suits the company and its Members. Find ways to reward employees for collaboration with strong results. Take responsibility for low result of the employee surveys