Cablevision Systems Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
61 reviews filtered by
  • Bethpage, NY
2.9
Cablevision Systems President, CEO, and Director; Chairman, Madison Square Garden; and Governor, New York Knicks James L. Dolan
James L. Dolan

1. Featured Review

Great Company

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Bethpage, NY

I worked at Cablevision Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, benefits, pay, opportunities

Cons

none that I can think of

none

2. Great benifits okay pay

Current Employee - Direct Sales in Bethpage, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Sales in Bethpage, NY

I have been working at Cablevision Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Endless potential. Free cable and great benifits

Cons

Your money is controlled by what they change the offer to that month. Some months are good some are horrible. More horrible than good and never great.

3. After 15 years, things have changed.

I have been working at Cablevision Systems

Pros

Great benefits, hometown feel to company. Company trying to compete with new technologies

Cons

Changing times, upper management is totally out of touch with the worker-bees.

Listen.

5. Great place to work.

I have been working at Cablevision Systems

Pros

The benefits are amazing and there is a great team atmosphere.

Cons

There are Few promotional opportunitites

6. Cablevision cares about their employees but lacks executive level strategic vision for the future.

Former Employee - Vice President in Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in Bethpage, NY

I worked at Cablevision Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Local company, Monday through Friday schedule, great benefits. Positive work environment

Cons

Lack of strategic leadership and synergy between teams. Constant change in priorities and vision.

7. Dev Lead

Former Employee - Development Lead in Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - Development Lead in Bethpage, NY

I worked at Cablevision Systems

Pros

One of the biggest employers and leading technology companies on long island.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy, hopefully getting better with current changes in management.
    Too many IT departments and not all get equal funding and tools. They waste a lot of money this way. Each business unit buys their own Software and products and does not necessarily allow the entire company to use them. Very silly, if you look from CTO or COO perspective.

Consolidate and re-organize. You have lost a lot of great talent because of the Bureaucracy or following Status Quo.
    Pay attention to the issues that your Customers are facing and not on the IT issues that are troubling the senior management.

8. Hostility in droves morale low

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethpage, NY

I worked at Cablevision Systems

Pros

Medical benefits are good to a degree - some cons - but because they employ over 10,000 people the rates are good. Probably can find that in any big corporation

Cons

Management thinks that they are more than they are. I was told that some job functions were "below my pay grade" by an SVP. Others in the department I worked in were so miserable that welcoming me in as a new employee was not very pleasant. Nobody to show you the ropes, and then ostracized because you didn't know everything. An employee actually growled at me when they were mad. Overstaffed and not enough work, layoffs happen on a regular basis 1 - 2 times a year - job stability null and void. Morale is low because everyone keeps their head down in order to avoid the next lay-off.

Not open to changing the system, likes everything just the way it is so long as Management is happy.

Tried to apply for another (lateral) position within the company figuring it was just the department - I was ignored by the HR department.

I was actually relieved when I was let go - I couldn't hide my stress of working in this kind of environment any longer. My performance was being altered because of the emotional aspects of the job.

Do a clean sweep of your management - even if they have been there for 30 years. There are good dedicated people who work for you in lower level positions - that are being abused.

Weed out the management - layoffs of the little people are not going to help your morale problem.

Something is broken at Cablevision

Former Employee - Information Technology in Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Bethpage, NY

I worked at Cablevision Systems

Pros

Good pay, good benefits and nice working environment

Cons

No loyalty to employees. Treated as valued assets one day and then escorted out of the building the next..

Something is broken at Cablevision - I was a 10+ year employee with superb performance reviews. I was a dedicated and hard working employee. Then in January 2015, I was terminated stating that I do not have the required skills to support the pending organizational changes. This was stated to me by an EVP that joined the company 6 months ago. He had little interaction with me.. I was then asked for my id and cell phone and escorted out of the building. How do you treat an employee of 10+ years like a criminal. What do you think the remaining staff feels like. What trust do they have with management. This greatly destroys trust and the performance of the remaining staff. This new EVP has a lot to learn about being a true leader! I would advise Cablevision's top management to look closely at this issue and how it is eroding a great company. I view my treatment as abusive and with no regard for the impact to the employee and family.

10. Very positive family-friendly work culture in a community convenient to NYC.

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Bethpage, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Bethpage, NY

I have been working at Cablevision Systems

Pros

Positive work envionrment.
    Chances to learn new technologies.

Cons

No longer backfilling positions so fewer and fewer people left to do same amount of work.
    Bringing in off-shore consultants but directing and overseeing their work is nearly full-time job.
    Limited advancement opportunity.
    Good salaries for location.

If you don't hire enough people to do the work, even with consultant augmentation, then reset expectations on how much time projects will take.

11. Training Tragedy

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Bethpage, NY

I worked at Cablevision Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Corporate life is not bad, you should know all the perks by now: gym, cafe, dry cleaner, shoe shiner, movie theater, free cable, internet, telephone.

Cons

The training department has suffered a few waves worth of layoffs. Was (maybe still is) a very stressful environment the past few years since the regime change. Some completely unmerited promotions only to lead to subsequent firings.

If you're going to lay people off, do it all in one shot and let people know when it's over.

Cablevision Systems Photos