Cablevision Systems

Cablevision Systems Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
3.2

Cablevision Systems President, CEO, and Director; Chairman, Madison Square Garden; and Governor, New York Knicks James L. Dolan
James L. Dolan

Pros
  • Free cable, internet and phone, including all premium channels is great (in 30 reviews)

• Great Benefits, If you earn less than 50K your health insurance is Free (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • The reps at my call center are what I would consider as a consumer, to be pretty professional (in 18 reviews)

• Depending on your department, there is not much room for growth (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A great learning opportunity

Current Employee - Advertising Account Executive
    Current Employee - Advertising Account Executive

I have been working at Cablevision Systems full-time

Pros

While working at this company, I was given almost complete autonomy in my role and was able to learn a lot in a short period of time. There was flexibility of hours and personal time management. The company had great benefits for employees and encouraged us to use our vacation days, etc. I also had the opportunity to meet with clients directly and network with high-level executives in various industries.

Cons

There wasn't much room for career growth. Most of the large accounts were already taken by seasoned execs so it was also very difficult to find them. Recently commission was reduced to 9% per month, which is a little deterring.

Please try expanding personal growth opportunities and open up accounts to all AEs. One person should not manage all of the same types of accounts.

great company for technology and customer service based positions.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jericho, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jericho, NY

I worked at Cablevision Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, including Free Cable, internet and phone, Excellent medical and investment options.

Cons

Although there are always advancement options, progress and promotions can come rather slowly depending on the department. No programs to help recent grads, not enough employee development plans.

invest more in your employees. those employees who are trying to be better assets, furthering their education should be given more advancement opportunities instead of managers favorites.

Prince Charming turning back into a frog?

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative

I have been working at Cablevision Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Health insurance, residential service for free. Paid vacation.

Cons

Extremely high turn over. Unfortunately the company's employees are not being valued as we used to. Management is getting greedy and employees are not people anymore. Promotions are very limited. Corporate is only focused on making money and being good to customers. They forget that is their employees the ones that make it all happen! I have been waiting for a transfer for months with not one follow up phone call. Corporate has their own agenda and will not be transparent unless they have to.

Value your long term employees. Adjust your goals so that we can stay with the company. Be loyal the way you expect us to be loyal.

Producer

I worked at Cablevision Systems

Pros

Good team of employees, worked well together. Salary and work environment were decent. Really enjoy the job, and there is plenty of creative freedom.

Cons

Management doesn't value its employees. Always looking for ways to downsize. Our area was heavily layed off, which was a shame because many talented people lost their jobs.

Rather than focusing on the bottom line and your bonus checks, pay more attention to the staff, show appreciation, really value your staff. Look for alternatives to laying off good people- why not try reducing your own salaries and saving a few jobs during difficult economic times? Just a thought.

Good company

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bronx, NY

I worked at Cablevision Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

pay is great,if you're ambitious you can make a decent living.hours are average and the people who work there are great.

Cons

you are a NUMBER, no matter how close you may be with anybody, if you do not meet the constantly changing expectations you will be out the door.coaching and development is minimal unless you're a top performer.,

invest in the staff you have now and turnover rate will drop, you spend more on training than you would if you took the time to pull those in need and develop their skills.

Company is great, but Direct Sales Upper Management is horrible!

Former Employee - Direct Sales Supervisor
    Former Employee - Direct Sales Supervisor

I worked at Cablevision Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

$$$$. Commissions and benefits are great!

Cons

Management is horrible! Don't buy in to the company mentality because middle-upper management are only looking out for themselves.

Get rid of the dinosaur mentality! Be open to new creative ideas...

I have been working at Cablevision Systems

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits. You work with many very hard working and talented employees.

Cons

Stressful place to work. Executive Managment pushes the employees to the max. While this results in a lot of good work it also can result in burnout and leave/ in which case you will probably get laid off even if you had a really good run before you ran into getting overwhelmed.

Consider people's lives. Encourage people to take lunch and take vacation time and not just as lip service. The company should actively avoid and care about employee burnout - and try to be proactive in improving the employee experience. Yes - the pay is good, but that doesn't give license to expect employees to endure constant overload and a sustained comitenenr that has little forgiveness for an employee who might be tempararily having a difficult time / likely as a result to work at stress. Either way / those still with the company consider themselves lucky to be employed - but very powerless against a constant trend that expects more and more.

Field Service Technician

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Hamilton, NJ
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Hamilton, NJ

I have been working at Cablevision Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good hours. Great supervisors. Decent pay with great benefits (Free health and dental insurance under $50,000/year, cost is very low beyond that). Very easy to get promoted and plenty of opportunity within the company.

Cons

Company shoots itself in the foot when it comes to policy changes, Customers can be difficult to work with. Technology used in field isn't as efficient as it can be. Safety policies seem to cover the company legally rather than promote a safe working environment.

I would say the best thing they could do is to focus on the technology (iPads, field service software, Radio Frequency meters) that techs use day in and day out. Many hours are wasted jumping through hoops and trying to get the software used to fill out work orders and referrals to work. A lot of the departments that do certain jobs can be condensed into just field service, which would promote efficiency and more work accomplished. Also, many different tests that we have to run are time consuming and take away from our productivity, as well as interfere with the customers' day or evening. There are more efficient tools for us to work with that would make our jobs easier, which would make customers happier. Consolidating tasks that are done by other departments and giving the techs the ability to accomplish these tasks would pay dividends in efficiency and productivity, which would make for a happier work force as well as a happier customer.

Great Company To Work For!

Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, NJ

I worked at Cablevision Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, annual salary increases, supportive co-workers and manager, great vacation/holiday/sick time

Cons

Heavy workload, sometimes long hours, often many software issues.

Some upper VPs shouldn't make decisions on paper, but rather should understand what the people who actually perform the jobs are really doing.

Step up to the challenge

I have been working at Cablevision Systems full-time

Pros

If you work hard you will be rewarded

Cons

Must walk the walk of the new leadership or else you find yourself on the other side of the door

Cablevision Systems Photos