Cablevision Systems Reviews

I hate this place!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II

I have been working at Cablevision Systems

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Free TV, phone, and internet. Nice coworkers. Overtime is basically always offered.

Cons

Terrible hours. When you start off you don't get out until 12 am or 1:30 am which makes it hard to have a life outside of work. When I started we used to have down time between calls which helped with the stress. Now the company put so many reps on email and chat but didn't replace the phone positions so it's super busy all the time! Annoying customers yelling at you because they don't know what their cable box is let alone how to turn it on. You're trapped in that cubicle 7.5 hours listening to complaint after compliant. Very stressful.

Get more people on the phones. I can't tell you how many times I've seen reps on email and chat just surfing the internet because they haven't had a customer in at least 10 mins. Maybe rotate hours so when we get home from work our families would still be awake. Also supervisors don't do much either. I've seen them shopping online for most of their shifts.

2. Network Engineer

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Hicksville, NY
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Hicksville, NY

I have been working at Cablevision Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and good work life balance

Cons

The company is going under

Let's create some new products that people actually want.

3. Brainless work made super complicated by horrible management --

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Woodbury, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Woodbury, NY

I have been working at Cablevision Systems

Pros

I met some nice folks there --

Cons

Inexperienced managers -- some who have been there for years -- completely untrained and dedicated to protecting their jobs over making decisions that would benefit the company. Simple day-to-day tasks are made impossible due to horrible people empowered who make themselves important by constantly creating mountains out of small hills. If you're not one of the "in" people -- and since they do not have set processes and an established success criteria -- managers start bad mouthing you behind closed doors and they don't have the decency to at least let you know that they are having an issue with your approach to your work -- even though there is no set process. One-on-one sessions are ignored and cancelled constantly...so -- no training...no constructive criticism --

The politics of the place is horrible and makes being productive almost impossible --

My advice -- don't do it -- if you're unemployed -- keep looking...

wouldn't waste my time -- they need to clean house if they're going to try to survive the eventual demise of the Cable industry as we know it. Look at the Knicks...look at MSG -- need I say any more?

5. Worked here as a Summer Intern

Former Intern - Summer Associate
    Former Intern - Summer Associate

I worked at Cablevision Systems as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked here as an intern over the summer and I felt like I learned a lot. I felt like my work was actually contributing to the company's operations and not just busy work. The hours were good and flexible. I got to work directly with account executives and senior management.

Cons

Sometimes I felt like I was forgotten about, I would go days without being given projects.

6. Training Tragedy

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Bethpage, NY

I worked at Cablevision Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Corporate life is not bad, you should know all the perks by now: gym, cafe, dry cleaner, shoe shiner, movie theater, free cable, internet, telephone.

Cons

The training department has suffered a few waves worth of layoffs. Was (maybe still is) a very stressful environment the past few years since the regime change. Some completely unmerited promotions only to lead to subsequent firings.

If you're going to lay people off, do it all in one shot and let people know when it's over.

7. Innovative in the industry

I worked at Cablevision Systems

Pros

Want to be the best at what they do - want the customer experience to be awesome

Cons

Senior management is under a lot of stress - flows downhill

8. Pretty Decent

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Cablevision Systems

Pros

Overtime was usually always available during storms with triple pay incentives.
    Opportunity to grow.

Cons

Sometimes the opportunities to grow were dependent on who you knew.
    Some supervisors were very childish.
    Had 1 supervisor tell me that she didn't like me..

9. Cablevision Acct Exec

I have been working at Cablevision Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great people and competitive salary

Cons

fast and ever changing comp plans

10. Filed. Service tech

Former Employee - Filed Service Technician in Hauppauge, NY
    Former Employee - Filed Service Technician in Hauppauge, NY

I worked at Cablevision Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are none !! There are none !!

Cons

Working as a at will employe !! Having no union !!! You have to watch your back every day . No retirement !!!

Back off the workers !! You are all bullies !!! Let them organize with out fear !!! There need a Union !!!!'

Project Management Contractors or Consultants

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Cablevision Systems as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The PMO makes an attempt to put in the proper processes and procedures

Cons

70% of the company are contractors. All the processes and procedures are not well thought out and prepared by unknowledgeable personnel, usually permenent employees. Contractors are turned into data entry clerks due to the systems not communicating with each other. Any recommendation for improvement falls on deaf ears so my suggestion is to stay away from this company. In my 30 years of experience, this is absolutely the worst environment to work in, and they are abussive to contractors.

Flatten the organization and move away from the numerous and nebulous departments you currently have. Someone should take a full systems approach, touch data only once and not 50 times with so many reports covering the identical data. Take a hard look at your executive staff as many could not have been a manager reporting to me in other better run organizations.

Cablevision Systems Photos