Caddell Construction

Updated August 14, 2014
2.4

B.E. Stewart
1 Rating

Ethical, family oriented, challenging.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Caddell Construction full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very ethical company and management.
    Strives for Excellence and Quality
    Strives to always do what's right and fair.
    Concern for the families of employees and family life.
    Concerted efforts to make sure we enjoy our workplace.
    Opportunities abound to experience new jobs/assignments
    Travel, if you want it.
    Challenges every day; nothing cookie cutter here. Stimulating.

Cons

Challenges every day; federal clients with rules and regs can be bureaucratic.
    Rules... lots of rules, because of the clients.

Come out of the comfort zone more often.

Caddell Construction is a front company for Enka İnşaat ve Sanayi A.Ş.

I worked at Caddell Construction full-time

Pros

The best thing I liked about working for Caddell is the feeling of relief I had when I quit. No matter how painful, leaving this company was like a religious reawakening for me.

Cons

Caddell Construction is a front company for Enka İnşaat ve Sanayi A.Ş. This is a set deal where a foreign owned company can bid on projects that would normally be restricted to U.S. firms. If you want to work for a Turkish company, you can work for Caddell.

Get stronger! Get real! Be the head, not the tail of this dog!

I enjoyed working with my direct supervisors and co-workers and challenges of my job.

Current Employee - Quality Control Manager
    Current Employee - Quality Control Manager

I have been working at Caddell Construction full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good record of securing federal (primarily military) construction projects.
    Industry-average pay and benefits.
    Rapid job progression with good performance.

Cons

Out-of-touch home office supervision.
    Ill-informed home office rules and directives.
    Onerous on-site work hours at times.
    Some senior managers earned positions through cronyism and paternalism.

Profits are earned on projects, not the home office.

Unfortunite overseas experience

Former Employee - Quality Control Manager
    Former Employee - Quality Control Manager

I worked at Caddell Construction as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

HR department was very professional. Prompt payment. Management was flexible with starting my contract even though I had yet to deploy.

Cons

You essentially work for a Turkish sub who still utilizes outdated construction techniques and management procedures. In a man-camp setting the Turkish "cuisine" was less than palatable. The customer (client) had a poor opinion of the company based on experience.

Changing international sub-contractors would essentially require a greater commitment on behalf of it's American expat staff. In turn, it would require a more involved personal interest coming from the top down (the headquarter office). The current path will eventually lead to failure unless the client is aware of the the current status quo and comfortable with this knowledge.

If you work International, you are told to be a puppet and to let the Turkish partner do the work.

Former Employee - Project Engineer/Manager in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Project Engineer/Manager in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Caddell Construction

Pros

Decent Wages
    Apparently has a good Domestic Side

Cons

No Support
    No Feedback
    Asked to Defend sub-par work and sell it to the US Government
    Family Run with a lot of Nepotism
    No promotions; those a reserved for Family members
    Long Hours

Hire good people. Stop placing puppets into management slots that have no authority or control and give them the support to make decisions.

Poor leadership/ management on job sites, poor functioning logistics and material

I worked at Caddell Construction (less than an year)

Pros

dollar per hour bit higher than other companies, overtime is paid ( not true with all companies), jobs always run over due to several factors, (most controllable) so the contract last longer and the paycheck keeps on coming.

Cons

leadership, lack of ability and experience, unqualified people in wrong positions, lack of material (hire a material/log person who knows the business) hard to do the job without the correct material. on time and undamaged upon arrival. HOUSING!!!!! double or triple to apartment, safety location of housing, location of housing to transportation, groceries, anything useful. Letting the sub run the job and feeding CAW's like ...., per diem, absolutely no loyalty or incentive to CAW's who have proven they can and do the job and do the job correctly. Elitist attitude of entitlement from staff vs guys actually preforming correct quality work. No repercussions for less than standard work, Caddell keeps hiring the same low quality workers at the same rate they hire high quality workers except women. When they hire them they underpay. Not sure why they have not been to court yet for discrimination. there with a gal in mexico who worked circles around some guys and knew her business. Heard they offered her even less money for another site, just plain stupid.

pay your workers according to position, not the same as everyone else (a superintendent has more responsibility than a foreman who has more than the trade guy on the floor), get out from behind your desk, put on a belt and get dirty once a week, if on site and twice a month if off site. the only thing that gets done correctly is what gets checked regularly. If someone is constantly behind on work or reports find out if they are incompetent, unqualified for the position, or understaffed. DO NOT trust the person who always says everything is great, on time, under control, GO check for yourself. OBO is not your enemy, get rid of people who alienate OBO. OBO is not your friend either, they have a job to perform just like to do but they can make life difficult for everyone if you have some unsecured person yelling at them instead of trying to find solutions to issues. Find the good trade crews that work well together out there and hire the whole crew. Quicker completion with less waste, shorter punch list, give additional incentive pay/bonus to trades that reduce waste and cost overrun. i have not worked for Caddell in years but it is a small community and we all keep in touch and share info concerning the same things are still a problem, just a different location for the problems.