Cadence Design Systems Reviews

• Chelmsford, MA
4.9
Cadence Design Systems President and CEO Lip-Bu Tan
Lip-Bu Tan

Very good org to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good rate of pay. Invests in employees. Good management. Very skilled and professional colleagues. Ability to interact with a lot of external stakeholders and support internal teams.

Cons

Staff cutbacks over the years. I left for another job, but have always regretted that decision.

Advice to Management

Look to rehire some previous employees! I'd rejoin CDN immediately if I was asked.

2. Awesome working there

Current Employee - Lead Sales Applications Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Applications Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Cadence Design Systems

Pros

Great company to work. Best ever manager I had.

Cons

Nothing at all. Everything was just great.

3. Executive Assistant

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Cadence Design Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits; great balance between work and family.

Cons

No chance of advancement, but I was well compensated and content.

A solid company that sometimes suffers from gridlock and challenging leadership

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had a chance over 13 years to work with incredibly talented people for a company that at times was an innovator in EDA. During the better times there was room for growth, challenging projects and the ability to work with customers on cutting edge technology.

Cons

During our leadership changes the company suffered from poor morale, constant mergers and acquisitions led to duplication of efforts and re-orgs which were always poorly timed which was unfortunate because I really feel its a great company.

Advice to Management

The constant re-organizations and changes in direction within IT hurt morale greatly and resulted in several cases of duplication of work.

Great products, money wasted at the top.

Former Employee - Senior Member of Consulting Staff in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Consulting Staff in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart engineers and great products. Very stable and well maintained code development environment,

Cons

Misguided senior management. Stingy with engineering while loose with sales and e-staff

Advice to Management

Reward those who build the product.

Cadence was perhaps the least satisfying company I've worked for over the past 20 years.

Former Employee - Senior Member Consulting Staff in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Member Consulting Staff in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The coworkers were enjoyable and mostly good natured. The payscale was quite good even though there were frequently pay/hiring freezes and no bonuses.

Cons

As a very senior software engineer, we were supplied with very old, slow and inadequate computers and ancient code. Getting a second monitor was considered a luxury. There's an old-guard, don't change anything mentality where presenting new ideas many time is considered disruptive. Vacations/Shutdowns are strictly enforced during specific times of the year, and new employees were required to borrow against future years. Design/development process is rigid, non-agile and counter productive. Layers of specification approvals were required before any work or prototyping could begin. As a developer, the spec reviews were over attended, sometimes contentious and provided little assurance that you would be developing what was actually required since the attendees almost never came prepared (well, in the 6 years I was there I never had one where everyone who "just had to attend" was prepared).

Advice to Management

I've seen managers/department heads there who had never worked anywhere but Cadence. The couldn't relate to any development processes other than the ones that had been in place for 12-15 years. Sad really. No attempts at improving the build/test reliability or refactoring old code could gain any traction with this management. I've never worked anywhere before or since where I was assigned a bug backlog of over 1400 bugs assigned to me the day I joined and that was in addition to the new development tasks. Other group members had similar bug backlogs.

8. Good.

Current Employee - Senior Member of Consulting Staff in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Consulting Staff in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Cadence Design Systems

Pros

Chance to work on cutting edge technologies and be on the forefront of the latest developments in the electronics and semiconductor world.
    Challenge and variety and opportunities to innovate.

Cons

Small and limited options within Electronic Design Automation industry in terms of companies. Very few startups lately. No significant growth in the EDA space in the last decade.

Advice to Management

Change the business model and push for a model that supports profit-sharing or royalty for electronics or products created using Cadence Software.

Cadence Review

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems

Pros

The compensation for individual contributors is generous compared to other high tech companies. Employees are treated well and the benefits package is good. There is a free on-site fitness center offered to all employees.

Cons

Career advancement training opportunities for individual contributors is scarce. The company tends to be top-heavy with management. The executive staff is over-compensated based on company performance. There is a tendency to export US jobs overseas to help the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Lose some chiefs and hire more indians (but not in India, China, or Russia).

Cadence Design Systems Photos