Cadence Design Systems

Cadence Design Systems Reviews in Chelmsford, MA

Updated Feb 10, 2014

Cadence Design Systems President and CEO Lip-Bu Tan

Lip-Bu Tan

Pros
  • There's also good work-life balance and support for employees(in 42 reviews)

• great work life balance, good work environment(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • On the field side, work/life balance is not satisfactory and that is echoed by others(in 9 reviews)

• Technology used by most R&D groups is outdated(in 11 reviews)

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A solid company that sometimes suffers from gridlock and challenging leadership

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Chelmsford, MA

ProsI had a chance over 13 years to work with incredibly talented people for a company that at times was an innovator in EDA. During the better times there was room for growth, challenging projects and the ability to work with customers on cutting edge technology.

ConsDuring our leadership changes the company suffered from poor morale, constant mergers and acquisitions led to duplication of efforts and re-orgs which were always poorly timed which was unfortunate because I really feel its a great company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe constant re-organizations and changes in direction within IT hurt morale greatly and resulted in several cases of duplication of work.

Great products, money wasted at the top.

Senior Member of Consulting Staff (Former Employee) Chelmsford, MA

ProsSmart engineers and great products. Very stable and well maintained code development environment,

ConsMisguided senior management. Stingy with engineering while loose with sales and e-staff

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those who build the product.

Cadence was perhaps the least satisfying company I've worked for over the past 20 years.

Senior Member Consulting Staff (Former Employee) Chelmsford, MA

ProsThe coworkers were enjoyable and mostly good natured. The payscale was quite good even though there were frequently pay/hiring freezes and no bonuses.

ConsAs a very senior software engineer, we were supplied with very old, slow and inadequate computers and ancient code. Getting a second monitor was considered a luxury. There's an old-guard, don't change anything mentality where presenting new ideas many time is considered disruptive. Vacations/Shutdowns are strictly enforced during specific times of the year, and new employees were required to borrow against future years. Design/development process is rigid, non-agile and counter productive. Layers of specification approvals were required before any work or prototyping could begin. As a developer, the spec reviews were over attended, sometimes contentious and provided little assurance that you would be developing what was actually required since the attendees almost never came prepared (well, in the 6 years I was there I never had one where everyone who "just had to attend" was prepared).

Advice to Senior ManagementI've seen managers/department heads there who had never worked anywhere but Cadence. The couldn't relate to any development processes other than the ones that had been in place for 12-15 years. Sad really. No attempts at improving the build/test reliability or refactoring old code could gain any traction with this management. I've never worked anywhere before or since where I was assigned a bug backlog of over 1400 bugs assigned to me the day I joined and that was in addition to the new development tasks. Other group members had similar bug backlogs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good.

Senior Member of Consulting Staff (Current Employee) Chelmsford, MA

ProsChance to work on cutting edge technologies and be on the forefront of the latest developments in the electronics and semiconductor world.
    Challenge and variety and opportunities to innovate.

ConsSmall and limited options within Electronic Design Automation industry in terms of companies. Very few startups lately. No significant growth in the EDA space in the last decade.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the business model and push for a model that supports profit-sharing or royalty for electronics or products created using Cadence Software.

Cadence Review

Senior Technical Writer (Former Employee) Chelmsford, MA

ProsThe compensation for individual contributors is generous compared to other high tech companies. Employees are treated well and the benefits package is good. There is a free on-site fitness center offered to all employees.

ConsCareer advancement training opportunities for individual contributors is scarce. The company tends to be top-heavy with management. The executive staff is over-compensated based on company performance. There is a tendency to export US jobs overseas to help the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose some chiefs and hire more indians (but not in India, China, or Russia).

Worked for Cadence Design Systems? Contribute to the Community!