Cadence Design Systems

Cadence Design Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Cadence Design Systems President and CEO Lip-Bu Tan

Lip-Bu Tan

Pros
  • There's also good work-life balance and support for employees(in 41 reviews)

• great work life balance, good work environment(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • On the field side, work/life balance is not satisfactory and that is echoed by others(in 9 reviews)

• Technology used by most R&D groups is outdated(in 11 reviews)

Good pay, employees expendable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood salary (expected for EDA)

ConsPoor mgmt.
    Employees not considered as assets
    Lack of company celebrations

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down on the fat from the top

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Limited career growth & internal politics

ProsCEO tries hard. Lots of improvement from Fister days but still a long way to go.
    Great opportunities to grow if in strong business unit and caring manager.

ConsManagement do not care about people, only care about looking good.
    Not about how good you are technically, all about who you know and who likes you.
    Focus on results is good but not at any cost... Poor work-life balance, echoed by others.
    If in weak product line, be prepared to be the scape-goat and become a casualty of BU agenda.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to truly listen, otherwise most people may not be able to perform nor stick around.

Good pay, bad management

Group Director (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsPay is good. Smart people.

ConsRun like an old-school chip company. Poor communications, poor management. CEO is rarely there. They had a shot with EDA360 and some new products but then abandoned that when the CMO left.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate better internal communications. Share company vision. Integrate product groups so there is a common goal/vision for success. Foster an atmosphere of collaboration.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Political company

Marketing Vice President (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIt is the #2 company in industry

ConsLots of time is spent in meetings and politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake roles more clear. Encourage results not politics

Innovation and culture!

Senior Group DIrector (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCadence is at the forefront of innovation in the EDA space - executives are accessible, down to earth and highly engaged in driving the business. Communiation is extremely open and the culture is results driven. Tremendous opportunity to take on exciting work and make an impact. One thing that struck me when I first joined is how much employees really enjoy working together. They are working hard but are having fun while they do it. There's also good work-life balance and support for employees.

ConsThe industry is having challenges and Cadence is responding but will have to continue to innovate and be strategic to overcome the macro environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on culture. Rebuild in areas that dropped during the downturn - development programs, community philanthropy programs, etc.

Used to be a great place to work

IT Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood benefits and pay is about it.

ConsEmployees are not valued. IT senior leadership is too political and treats employees disgracefully.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlash and burn is not a viable strategy.

One of the best places for EDA software engineers

Product Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsA lot of passionate engineers, competitive compensation, and flexible work time. The company has the whole EDA platform, and solutions, so you can build up what ever you can imaginate in EDA products.

ConsNeed a lot of energy to work cross teams, because it's large company with global distribution, and different cultures you have to get used to.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more training for junior engineer, especially the production flow, it takes long time for new employee to understand the product release cycle and what team needs to response to which part.

Amazing work environment

Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsEveryone in office is so friendly and adjusting. Amazing team work. People are always willing to learn and grow together as one.. Much like the company motto "One Cadence One Team"

ConsYou will love this company far too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Working at Cadence

ProsGreat benefits and decent salary. Highly dedicated and professional team members. Current CEO seems to be leading the company in the right direction

ConsToo much change in IT. Over the past year IT has taken significant hits in personnel and management changes. Morale is very low across most teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementIT senior management needs to realize that employees are more than budget line items.

Lots of bureaucracy and internal politics, excessive levels of management.

Member of Consulting Staff (Former Employee)

ProsThe CEO is trying hard. Lots of experience within the company.

ConsCompany has the inability to embrace and develop new technology from within. Lot's of resources used within the company used to develop technology that will not help customers or the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementComing from the development side of the company, management needs move away from technology and practices from the 70's and 80's and embrace modern tools and methodologies. I would suggest removing the whole middle level management and replacing them with people who can implement new ideas so the company can move into the current decade.

Worked for Cadence Design Systems? Contribute to the Community!