Cadence Design Systems

Cadence Design Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Cadence Design Systems President and CEO Lip-Bu Tan

Lip-Bu Tan

Pros:
  • "Excellent work life balance and home office provisions and flexibility"
    in 39 reviews
  • "great work life balance, good work environment"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Technology used by most R&D groups is outdated"
    in 11 reviews
  • "On the field side, work/life balance is not satisfactory and that is echoed by others"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA good place to start up your carrier

ConsInternship will not be converted to full time

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Principle ae

Principal Applications Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsKnowing people and industry tend

ConsPersonal growth is limited a little bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage employee creating new ideas and products.

Don't waste your time in Cadence if you want to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTechnically not old enough.
    Some engineers are smart, and nice.
    Sales / marketing seems okay.

ConsIf you want to grow in someway, don't waste your time in this company.
    Management is just caring about what you produced, not what you have, what you need, not to mention what you want. DO NOTICE THIS: Bad words from manager(s) are not uncommon!

Advice to Senior ManagementNobody has sold him/herself to you. They are people, so they must be taken as people, not slave or machine.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent work/life balance. Positive challenges on the job.

Principal Applications Engineer (Current Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsI am challenged in exciting ways in my work. I work with quality engineers, and am provided with excellent resources. Pay is generhous, management is very flexible with time off and very hands off in style, yet expectations are clear - and high! JHigh in a good way, brings the challenge I've been missing in my career for a number of years prior to this job.

ConsHmmmmm, for working for someone else (i.e. not owning my own business) I think this is about as good as it gets for me in this industry. It's pretty darn good! Maybe I'm still in the "honeymoon phase" having only been with Cadence for 5 months now, but I don't think so.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! Stay engaged with you subordinates; keep encouraging us as you have. We appreciate the feedback and the confidence you place in us!

Very good coworkers; somewhat limited opportunities; need to invest more in customer support

Applications Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsThe best thing I can say is that most coworkers at the individual contributor level, and first-level managers who had worked their way up over time from the roles they were now managing, were very good and I have great respect for their skills, values, and work ethic. There are always exceptions to this of course, but they were the minority.

ConsOn the field side, work/life balance is not satisfactory and that is echoed by others. It does depend on your customer assignments, though. Even in profitable spaces, however, management seems unwilling to make changes to alleviate this, even when asked directly and repeatedly. There is instead a push to just do more with less, and faster. In my observation, this results in lost opportunities for business growth and career development, and risks high rates of burnout.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management at the C-level and executive staff appear to be doing a steady and solid job in steering the company. This is especially true in contrast to the group under Mike Fister and his staff that were cleaned out by the board some years ago. Things are much better now.

I would advise management to look closely into their customers' satisfaction, and invest more to raise it. Don't manage to investors' expectations of margins, like this was just another software company, but give to customers the technical support they need (not just to the favored "top" customers). You will see dividends in customer and employee satisfaction and productivity.

Intern program could have been better

Automation Intern (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsI joined here as an intern my manager was very friendly and let me work on different project.

ConsSuddenly my manager was laid off and I was put under different manager, who showed less interest in assigning any work to me. I would find work for myself after talking to different people around.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a good well organized program for interns.

very customer driven

Senior Programmer (Former Employee)
    Lake Katrine, NY

Prosvery customer driven
    good intersite cooperation

ConsIT support could be better

Stumbled in 2008, crawling, walking, still not running

San Jose, CA

ProsThere are teams of great people at this company.
    Everyone works very hard.
    Benefits are good. Pay is good.
    CEO means well, has a good heart, but ....

ConsThere are political players, building little kingdoms.
    R&D runs the show, and R&D management will say they listen to customers, but the resulting buggy and user-hostile software demonstrates otherwise.
    Personal growth is limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnless there is better balance between the organizations and in what drives the business decisions, you will never catch up to Synopsys.... or be an Apple, ARM, TSMC.
    Continue to improve "deal quality" getting fair pay for products.
    Continue to emphasize quality; add to that usability.

You make your own opportunities

Senior Member of Consulting Staff (Former Employee)

ProsYou can build a global personal network based on the colleagues and customers you engage with. Doing solid work that solves real problems will get you noticed.

Most years, Cadence holds an internal technical conference that provides additional opportunities to burnish your reputation among peers. Not everyone gets to go, but those who do can use the event to launch collaboration across business units and geographic sites.

Most employees are happy with their local teams, and reserve their suspicion for other business units and senior management strategy.

Lots of former employees come back through acquisitions and direct recruiting. These are usually the senior contributors who figured out how to manage their career opportunities at Cadence.

ConsVacation benefits have been a disaster, unless you were senior enough to bank enough hours. Fortunately there has been some softening over the last year to move towards a more rational and employee-friendly policy.

Career advancement is pretty easy until you get to Member of Consulting Staff, beyond that you need to be seen working on customer engagements that management cares about. Higher level promotions are rare for the operations teams and software generalists.

Advice to Senior ManagementLong-term employees have seen just about every org-chart and management strategy several times. I know you are trying to optimize something that isn't working well, but realize that Cadence quit doing what you are advocating, at least once.

Strong EDA company full of opportunities

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people throughout the organization that are fun to work with. Global company of over 5,000 employees offers you the opportunity to find a site that fits your needs. Customer focused Sales and R&D teams allow you the chance to interact with customers on all types of projects. Company is full of diverse groups and roles available from hardware or IP design, design services, sales, sales support, marketing, R&D or operations in the electronic software and hardware design industry.

ConsCompany training programs and IT are not as strong as they once were. Not a company on a rapid market climb with stock performance up and down over any year in the past 5, but the stock is looking strong over the past 5 years. Searching for its culture that was lost.

Worked for Cadence Design Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Cadence Design Systems Videos

Cadence Design Systems – Why Work for Us?

Cadence is an exciting place to work! Our customers design the most advanced electronic products in the world, for the most challenging markets, using powerful software and hardware tools from Cadence. Our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cadence Design Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cadence Design Systems CEO Lip-Bu Tan. All 311 reviews posted anonymously by Cadence Design Systems employees.