Cadence Design Systems

Cadence Design Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Cadence Design Systems President and CEO Lip-Bu Tan

Lip-Bu Tan

Pros
  • There's also good work-life balance and support for employees(in 41 reviews)

• great work life balance, good work environment(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • On the field side, work/life balance is not satisfactory and that is echoed by others(in 9 reviews)

• Technology used by most R&D groups is outdated(in 11 reviews)

Legacy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAlways changing and innovative in some areas. So many things going on hard to get board.

Constoo many people in positions over 20 years not allowing change.

Advice to Senior Managementtime to shed some old timers

Excellent work environment

ProsFriendly people. Knowledgeable management. Great technical work.

ConsLong hours. Tight schedules.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA good place to start up your carrier

ConsInternship will not be converted to full time

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Principle ae

Principal Applications Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsKnowing people and industry tend

ConsPersonal growth is limited a little bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage employee creating new ideas and products.

Don't waste your time in Cadence if you want to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTechnically not old enough.
    Some engineers are smart, and nice.
    Sales / marketing seems okay.

ConsIf you want to grow in someway, don't waste your time in this company.
    Management is just caring about what you produced, not what you have, what you need, not to mention what you want. DO NOTICE THIS: Bad words from manager(s) are not uncommon!

Advice to Senior ManagementNobody has sold him/herself to you. They are people, so they must be taken as people, not slave or machine.

Acquisition mentality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReasonable salary and benefits and schedule.

ConsAcquisition happens any time. Mentality is more of a software than hardware company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees real work to do and innovate before acquire other companies

Very good coworkers; somewhat limited opportunities; need to invest more in customer support

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe best thing I can say is that most coworkers at the individual contributor level, and first-level managers who had worked their way up over time from the roles they were now managing, were very good and I have great respect for their skills, values, and work ethic. There are always exceptions to this of course, but they were the minority.

ConsOn the field side, work/life balance is not satisfactory and that is echoed by others. It does depend on your customer assignments, though. Even in profitable spaces, however, management seems unwilling to make changes to alleviate this, even when asked directly and repeatedly. There is instead a push to just do more with less, and faster. In my observation, this results in lost opportunities for business growth and career development, and risks high rates of burnout.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management at the C-level and executive staff appear to be doing a steady and solid job in steering the company. This is especially true in contrast to the group under Mike Fister and his staff that were cleaned out by the board some years ago. Things are much better now.

I would advise management to look closely into their customers' satisfaction, and invest more to raise it. Don't manage to investors' expectations of margins, like this was just another software company, but give to customers the technical support they need (not just to the favored "top" customers). You will see dividends in customer and employee satisfaction and productivity.

very customer driven

Senior Programmer (Former Employee) Lake Katrine, NY

Prosvery customer driven
    good intersite cooperation

ConsIT support could be better

Stumbled in 2008, crawling, walking, still not running

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThere are teams of great people at this company.
    Everyone works very hard.
    Benefits are good. Pay is good.
    CEO means well, has a good heart, but ....

ConsThere are political players, building little kingdoms.
    R&D runs the show, and R&D management will say they listen to customers, but the resulting buggy and user-hostile software demonstrates otherwise.
    Personal growth is limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnless there is better balance between the organizations and in what drives the business decisions, you will never catch up to Synopsys.... or be an Apple, ARM, TSMC.
    Continue to improve "deal quality" getting fair pay for products.
    Continue to emphasize quality; add to that usability.

Excellent work/life balance. Positive challenges on the job.

Principal Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsI am challenged in exciting ways in my work. I work with quality engineers, and am provided with excellent resources. Pay is generhous, management is very flexible with time off and very hands off in style, yet expectations are clear - and high! JHigh in a good way, brings the challenge I've been missing in my career for a number of years prior to this job.

ConsHmmmmm, for working for someone else (i.e. not owning my own business) I think this is about as good as it gets for me in this industry. It's pretty darn good! Maybe I'm still in the "honeymoon phase" having only been with Cadence for 5 months now, but I don't think so.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! Stay engaged with you subordinates; keep encouraging us as you have. We appreciate the feedback and the confidence you place in us!

Worked for Cadence Design Systems? Contribute to the Community!