Cadence Design Systems

Updated September 26, 2014
3.5

Cadence Design Systems President and CEO Lip-Bu Tan
Lip-Bu Tan

Pros
  • There's also good work-life balance and support for employees (in 45 reviews)

• great work life balance, good work environment (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to many years of downsizing there is not much work life balance if you are in HR or finance (in 10 reviews)

• Too much politicking, particularly in middle management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at Cadence

I have been working at Cadence Design Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits and decent salary. Highly dedicated and professional team members. Current CEO seems to be leading the company in the right direction

Cons

Too much change in IT. Over the past year IT has taken significant hits in personnel and management changes. Morale is very low across most teams.

IT senior management needs to realize that employees are more than budget line items.

Excellent work environment

I have been working at Cadence Design Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly people. Knowledgeable management. Great technical work.

Cons

Long hours. Tight schedules.

Intern

I worked at Cadence Design Systems

Pros

A good place to start up your carrier

Cons

Internship will not be converted to full time

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Principle ae

Former Employee - Principal Applications Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time

Pros

Knowing people and industry tend

Cons

Personal growth is limited a little bit.

Encourage employee creating new ideas and products.

Don't waste your time in Cadence if you want to grow

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Technically not old enough.
    Some engineers are smart, and nice.
    Sales / marketing seems okay.

Cons

If you want to grow in someway, don't waste your time in this company.
    Management is just caring about what you produced, not what you have, what you need, not to mention what you want. DO NOTICE THIS: Bad words from manager(s) are not uncommon!

Nobody has sold him/herself to you. They are people, so they must be taken as people, not slave or machine.

Legacy

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Always changing and innovative in some areas. So many things going on hard to get board.

Cons

too many people in positions over 20 years not allowing change.

time to shed some old timers

Acquisition mentality

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time

Pros

Reasonable salary and benefits and schedule.

Cons

Acquisition happens any time. Mentality is more of a software than hardware company.

Give employees real work to do and innovate before acquire other companies

Very good coworkers; somewhat limited opportunities; need to invest more in customer support

Former Employee - Applications Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing I can say is that most coworkers at the individual contributor level, and first-level managers who had worked their way up over time from the roles they were now managing, were very good and I have great respect for their skills, values, and work ethic. There are always exceptions to this of course, but they were the minority.

Cons

On the field side, work/life balance is not satisfactory and that is echoed by others. It does depend on your customer assignments, though. Even in profitable spaces, however, management seems unwilling to make changes to alleviate this, even when asked directly and repeatedly. There is instead a push to just do more with less, and faster. In my observation, this results in lost opportunities for business growth and career development, and risks high rates of burnout.

Upper management at the C-level and executive staff appear to be doing a steady and solid job in steering the company. This is especially true in contrast to the group under Mike Fister and his staff that were cleaned out by the board some years ago. Things are much better now.

I would advise management to look closely into their customers' satisfaction, and invest more to raise it. Don't manage to investors' expectations of margins, like this was just another software company, but give to customers the technical support they need (not just to the favored "top" customers). You will see dividends in customer and employee satisfaction and productivity.

Excellent work/life balance. Positive challenges on the job.

Current Employee - Principal Applications Engineer  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Applications Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Cadence Design Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am challenged in exciting ways in my work. I work with quality engineers, and am provided with excellent resources. Pay is generhous, management is very flexible with time off and very hands off in style, yet expectations are clear - and high! JHigh in a good way, brings the challenge I've been missing in my career for a number of years prior to this job.

Cons

Hmmmmm, for working for someone else (i.e. not owning my own business) I think this is about as good as it gets for me in this industry. It's pretty darn good! Maybe I'm still in the "honeymoon phase" having only been with Cadence for 5 months now, but I don't think so.

Keep it up! Stay engaged with you subordinates; keep encouraging us as you have. We appreciate the feedback and the confidence you place in us!

You make your own opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Member of Consulting Staff
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Consulting Staff

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You can build a global personal network based on the colleagues and customers you engage with. Doing solid work that solves real problems will get you noticed.

Most years, Cadence holds an internal technical conference that provides additional opportunities to burnish your reputation among peers. Not everyone gets to go, but those who do can use the event to launch collaboration across business units and geographic sites.

Most employees are happy with their local teams, and reserve their suspicion for other business units and senior management strategy.

Lots of former employees come back through acquisitions and direct recruiting. These are usually the senior contributors who figured out how to manage their career opportunities at Cadence.

Cons

Vacation benefits have been a disaster, unless you were senior enough to bank enough hours. Fortunately there has been some softening over the last year to move towards a more rational and employee-friendly policy.

Career advancement is pretty easy until you get to Member of Consulting Staff, beyond that you need to be seen working on customer engagements that management cares about. Higher level promotions are rare for the operations teams and software generalists.

Long-term employees have seen just about every org-chart and management strategy several times. I know you are trying to optimize something that isn't working well, but realize that Cadence quit doing what you are advocating, at least once.

Cadence Design Systems Photos

Worked for Cadence Design Systems? Contribute to the Community!