Cadence Design Systems

Updated October 21, 2014
3.5

Cadence Design Systems President and CEO Lip-Bu Tan
Lip-Bu Tan

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance and home office provisions and flexibility (in 45 reviews)

• great work life balance, good work environment (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to many years of downsizing there is not much work life balance if you are in HR or finance (in 12 reviews)

• Too much politicking, particularly in middle management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Legacy

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Always changing and innovative in some areas. So many things going on hard to get board.

Cons

too many people in positions over 20 years not allowing change.

time to shed some old timers

Acquisition mentality

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time

Pros

Reasonable salary and benefits and schedule.

Cons

Acquisition happens any time. Mentality is more of a software than hardware company.

Give employees real work to do and innovate before acquire other companies

Very good coworkers; somewhat limited opportunities; need to invest more in customer support

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing I can say is that most coworkers at the individual contributor level, and first-level managers who had worked their way up over time from the roles they were now managing, were very good and I have great respect for their skills, values, and work ethic. There are always exceptions to this of course, but they were the minority.

Cons

On the field side, work/life balance is not satisfactory and that is echoed by others. It does depend on your customer assignments, though. Even in profitable spaces, however, management seems unwilling to make changes to alleviate this, even when asked directly and repeatedly. There is instead a push to just do more with less, and faster. In my observation, this results in lost opportunities for business growth and career development, and risks high rates of burnout.

Upper management at the C-level and executive staff appear to be doing a steady and solid job in steering the company. This is especially true in contrast to the group under Mike Fister and his staff that were cleaned out by the board some years ago. Things are much better now.

I would advise management to look closely into their customers' satisfaction, and invest more to raise it. Don't manage to investors' expectations of margins, like this was just another software company, but give to customers the technical support they need (not just to the favored "top" customers). You will see dividends in customer and employee satisfaction and productivity.

very customer driven

Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Lake Katrine, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Lake Katrine, NY

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

very customer driven
    good intersite cooperation

Cons

IT support could be better

Excellent work/life balance. Positive challenges on the job.

Current Employee - Principal Applications Engineer in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Applications Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Cadence Design Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am challenged in exciting ways in my work. I work with quality engineers, and am provided with excellent resources. Pay is generhous, management is very flexible with time off and very hands off in style, yet expectations are clear - and high! JHigh in a good way, brings the challenge I've been missing in my career for a number of years prior to this job.

Cons

Hmmmmm, for working for someone else (i.e. not owning my own business) I think this is about as good as it gets for me in this industry. It's pretty darn good! Maybe I'm still in the "honeymoon phase" having only been with Cadence for 5 months now, but I don't think so.

Keep it up! Stay engaged with you subordinates; keep encouraging us as you have. We appreciate the feedback and the confidence you place in us!

You make your own opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Member of Consulting Staff
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Consulting Staff

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can build a global personal network based on the colleagues and customers you engage with. Doing solid work that solves real problems will get you noticed.

Most years, Cadence holds an internal technical conference that provides additional opportunities to burnish your reputation among peers. Not everyone gets to go, but those who do can use the event to launch collaboration across business units and geographic sites.

Most employees are happy with their local teams, and reserve their suspicion for other business units and senior management strategy.

Lots of former employees come back through acquisitions and direct recruiting. These are usually the senior contributors who figured out how to manage their career opportunities at Cadence.

Cons

Vacation benefits have been a disaster, unless you were senior enough to bank enough hours. Fortunately there has been some softening over the last year to move towards a more rational and employee-friendly policy.

Career advancement is pretty easy until you get to Member of Consulting Staff, beyond that you need to be seen working on customer engagements that management cares about. Higher level promotions are rare for the operations teams and software generalists.

Long-term employees have seen just about every org-chart and management strategy several times. I know you are trying to optimize something that isn't working well, but realize that Cadence quit doing what you are advocating, at least once.

Intern program could have been better

Former Employee - Automation Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Automation Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I joined here as an intern my manager was very friendly and let me work on different project.

Cons

Suddenly my manager was laid off and I was put under different manager, who showed less interest in assigning any work to me. I would find work for myself after talking to different people around.

Have a good well organized program for interns.

Stumbled in 2008, crawling, walking, still not running

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are teams of great people at this company.
    Everyone works very hard.
    Benefits are good. Pay is good.
    CEO means well, has a good heart, but ....

Cons

There are political players, building little kingdoms.
    R&D runs the show, and R&D management will say they listen to customers, but the resulting buggy and user-hostile software demonstrates otherwise.
    Personal growth is limited.

Unless there is better balance between the organizations and in what drives the business decisions, you will never catch up to Synopsys.... or be an Apple, ARM, TSMC.
    Continue to improve "deal quality" getting fair pay for products.
    Continue to emphasize quality; add to that usability.

Cadence not the same as it used to be ...

Former Employee - Business Development in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Used to be major EDA leader, currently a shadow of current leader, Synopysy.

Cons

Employees are not seen as a vital resource, just workers on a production line.

Focus on your employees as your most powerful resource.

Strong EDA company full of opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people throughout the organization that are fun to work with. Global company of over 5,000 employees offers you the opportunity to find a site that fits your needs. Customer focused Sales and R&D teams allow you the chance to interact with customers on all types of projects. Company is full of diverse groups and roles available from hardware or IP design, design services, sales, sales support, marketing, R&D or operations in the electronic software and hardware design industry.

Cons

Company training programs and IT are not as strong as they once were. Not a company on a rapid market climb with stock performance up and down over any year in the past 5, but the stock is looking strong over the past 5 years. Searching for its culture that was lost.

Cadence Design Systems Photos