Cadmus Group Reviews

1. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cadmus Group

Pros

Flexible working hours, amazing benefits, incredibly smart and engaging co-workers. Management truly cares about their staff and it shows.

Cons

I have no gripes with Cadmus. This is truly the best company I've worked for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Launch Pad for Better Opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Cadmus Group (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits! HR staff was pleasant.

Cons

The company culture is lacking...a lot. It seemed as if no one actually knew how to do their job, especially the project managers who had been there for years. They prey on young, eager graduates. Offer them a decent salary and benefits, then suck all the life and passion out of them. There needs to be more structure and oversight.

Advice to Management

It wouldn't hurt to restructure and hire more experienced and qualified project managers.

Extreme Turnover, Retention Efforts are Extremely Lacking.

Current Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cadmus Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are able to work on a variety of projects and specialties at Cadmus. Your schedule is flexible and a new bonus structure has been put in place for billability.

Cons

The mid level staff are dropping like flies because of low pay. That leaves management and new staff (6 months or less) to do the work. I've seen staff (especially engineers) leave to competitors anywhere from 3 months to 2 years after working at Cadmus. The last year and a half I have seen 11 engineers leave Cadmus and roughly 20 non engineering staff leave. Something is obviously wrong, I can't speak for everyone but pay has been the most common reason stated in my experience.

Advice to Management

You'll save money in training and production costs by retaining staff and not having upper management constantly training mid level new hires or entry level staff getting them up to speed. Cut down professional development costs to help pay your staff "legitimate" salaries for the work they are providing. How long will it take and how many have to leave before this point gets across?

Clouded Management and cut-throught environment

I worked at Cadmus Group full-time

Pros

Great place to start a career to get job experience. Great company visibility and open about revenue, profits, and how the company is doing as a whole.

Cons

Little work life balance, management often does not feel on your side. Your work depends largely on how outgoing your adviser is. If your contract ends, good luck staying happy and busy.

Advice to Management

Don't rely on the once a year evaluation to see how your employees are doing. How about checking with them more often than that.

Happy to have gotten out before the ship started sinking

I worked at Cadmus Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I added some years to my resume.

Cons

Its funny to see all these "positive" reviews on here where people say its the best company to work for. False.

Cadmus is having a hard time right now loosing and letting go of employees that have been there for 8+ years due to mismanagement. I guess you can call it mismanagement, but its mostly people who are in higher positions who really don't have a reason to be there and frankly don't know what they are doing.

My recommendation to anyone working there or thinking of working there...look else where. There are tons of great companies who don't treat you as a number, or how many hours you put on your time-sheet. I'm so happy to not be working there.

Advice to Management

I don't think Ian really cares.

7. Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Cadmus Group

Pros

Freedom to take your career any direction you want. Everyone is willing to mentor, if you ask.
    If you work hard (read: late), you will get promoted quickly. If not, you could stay in the same position for 5 years.
    Get to work on huge variety of projects.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. Not unusual to see people working until 10pm.

Great People

Current Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cadmus Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, nerdy but helpful and the company is transition from small to medium size.

Cons

Pay is hardly competitive and they expect a lot from you without that much pay.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff more!

9. analyst

I have been working at Cadmus Group

Pros

responsibility given early on in career with room for growth

Cons

like most contractors, long hours and tight budgets

Advice to Management

allow for formal training

It helped my resume, but I don't think I'd go back.

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Cadmus Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They accept your experience and expect you to step up from day 1. They have flex time and a flexible work schedule. Anyone Associate-level and below is great to work with and all highly motivated. If you can play the game, are self-motivated, and your are a favorite of the clients and Cadmus staff, you can learn a lot and really build your resume, but even as one of those people, I still left quickly to get out of the environment.

Cons

There are tons of politics at Cadmus. Key management were out for themselves and quite vindictive, causing complete distrust among the staff. Many of the upper-level folks were poor mentors and did not actually have strong skills themselves, besides general project management. This gave opportunities to younger staff, but also caused severe stress to junior staff because they weren't given helpful direction. Cadmus did have some great mentors, but they tended to be Associates who were blocked from moving up, and consequently, didn't hang around long. Compensation was moderate to low. Senior Associates expected everyone under them to turnover every 2 years -- they were very honest about this and their management style fueled the cycle. Favorites were played regularly. Clients were babied; the clients tended to be highly dramatic and the Cadmus staff would jump to please them constantly instead of having grownup, honest conversations. This caused a lot of yo-yoing to the work and pigeonholing of both "favorite" Cadmus consultants and disliked team members (favorite folks often got stuck in a niche that the client liked and disliked folks got sidelined to work where they also didn't have growth potential. Either way, you had to play the politics game hard for a balanced, interesting workload). As someone who's been in consulting for years, I was regularly shocked and frustrated by this pattern.

Advice to Management

Add checks and balances to senior staff; even experienced people need accountability, upward reviews, and strong, regular management training (self-training doesn't count. bring in some expert trainers and do it regularly). Do not accept 2-year turnover as acceptable. The companies you bought out have better cultures and lower turnover rates; figure out what they're doing right.

Overwhelmingly positive experience for junior staff right out of college

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Cadmus Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was great being part of a fast-growing company that is trying to diversify their service offerings. Colleagues are very friendly and, for the most part, willing to help out on projects. Core work team became very close. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Mediocre senior management leads to distrust. Lack of large margins on certain projects prevents much-needed overhead billing for internal/professional development. Lack of project management education for junior staff right out of college. Despite good benefits, lackluster base salary.

Advice to Management

Better base pay for junior staff. Greater commitment to on-boarding out of undergrad, including training and more formalized mentoring might reduce junior staff turnover.

RSS Feed </> Embed