Cadwalader Wickersham

Add Photos

W. Christopher White

Great place to work

I worked at Cadwalader Wickersham full-time

ProsA lot of responsibility at mid to senior level. Partners who care about your career. Ability to deal with clients and cultivate relationships. Good salary and benefits. Mostly friendly group.

ConsIf you want to succeed, hours are intense.

Great for a beginner to get foot in the door

Floating Secretary (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Cadwalader Wickersham full-time for more than a year

ProsThe Company has a great location and most people are friendly. The Company provides great benefits.

ConsIf you have experience as a legal assistant don't expect to put your skills to use here. The attorneys are mostly self-sufficient and Legal Secretaries here hardly receive any work. LITERALLY I was bored to death and watched Netflix 90% of the time. There is no room for advancement, and weekly overtime is given to a small pool of secretaries for no other reason then they are friends with the secretarial services manager. It is truly a shame that they don't give other employees a chance for overtime. Most of the secretaries there or hired have 0 legal background. So if you don't care about traveling to work to do mostly nothing or super light administrative tasks. If you want to have a great firm on your resume and move forward in two years, then this is a great place for you. If you want to use your brain, then I suggest you RUN.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey give "training" (quotes used for a good reason)... The only comment I can say is that if there is an issue, management would not tell you. Supposedly, there was an "issue" with me (though I never encountered any conflicts with anyone or had any instances of an attorney criticizing my work), and management only told me about it the day I was laid off. Note: I wasn't laid off because of these "issues", but for other reasons. Upon my lay off, the management told me that apparently "someone" had an issue with me and refused to give me an explanation of what that issue was. I wonder, how could someone improve on their "issues" if they are not made clear what they are? smh! The management seems to be a little bi-polar. I never received any criticism and all my reviews were good. In January 2013, I didn't even get a review and she told me upon my lay off that she was postponing my review tell later on... Again, how could someone improve, if they don't know what's wrong?

Great firm. Top notch experience.

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cadwalader Wickersham full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe firm is a market leader in securitization.

ConsUnpredictable hours. Extremely tough to make partner.

Not a bad place for work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cadwalader Wickersham full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Benefits and salary. People are nice and friendly for the most part (except for HR - they are snobs and have attitude). Great location and views are relaxing if you're having a stressful day.

ConsIf you're not an attorney salary comes to standstill you either kill yourself through overtime or you move on. There's not much of an acknowledgement for hard work done, but will be reprimanded almost immediately if you screw up once or twice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to appreciate the hard workers on the firm and show a little more appreciation to staff and not the attorneys. Remember staff is he backbone of that place.

Typical large New York law firm.

I have been working at Cadwalader Wickersham full-time

ProsGreat compensation and benefits for attorneys.

ConsUnpredictable workloads, high pressure, and difficult to navigate if you don't have goals of becoming a partner.

An HR Department rotting from inside out.

Staff (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Cadwalader Wickersham full-time for less than a year

ProsThe benefits are high salary ($50,000-$60,000 for legal secretary positions), on site gym and showers, occasional free lunches from partner meetings, 30 minute or less commute (differ person to person of course) and the career benefit of working for a "top firm". Be ready to make lots of money here with minimal work load but deal with a constant uphill battle with HR.

ConsNon transparency and politics within the office, e.g., HR is very not helpful. The cronies at HR will tell you to trust them and explain your side of the story, but they will always side with the partners in the end. They say, "nothing personal" but it is about taking sides, and that is very apparent.

Advice to Senior ManagementNote to HR: Acknowledge that you are feeding the egos of these partners, and that just because they bring in business, does not give them the right to mistreat, disrespect and cross lines with junior staff. You are only perpetuating the problem and making the firm an uncomfortable and highly undesirable place to work.

Friendly Environment but no Growth

IT Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cadwalader Wickersham full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get your hands on a lot of technology and will be exposed to a lot knowledge.

ConsNo room for growth. You work a ridiculous amount of overtime and do multiple jobs with very little reward.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart promoting from within your department.

Great experience

I worked at Cadwalader Wickersham full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSuper smart people, good clients

ConsBoring office, bad location, bad cafeteria

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to give constructive feedback

Good, straight forward and grey.

I have been working at Cadwalader Wickersham

ProsStraight forward type of work

ConsThe interior isn't that great

Bad Reputation But Decent Place

I worked at Cadwalader Wickersham full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEffort to improve social atmosphere.
Great pay.
Perks like dinner and car if you work late.
Depends on the department but generally good people to work with.

ConsLong hours.
Very little room to get promoted to partner.
Try to squeeze every bit of work out of you and then discard you.

Worked for Cadwalader Wickersham? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cadwalader Wickersham reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cadwalader Wickersham CEO W. Christopher White. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Cadwalader Wickersham employees.