Cadwalader Wickersham

Add Photos

W. Christopher White

I was a summer intern.

Summer Paralegal Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood location, nice people, good salary

ConsOvertime hours for full-time workers

Nice place to work; good salary

ProsBeautiful office, nice co-workers, and many transportation options to get to work. Salary is also very good to excellent. Bonuses are in-line with market.

ConsYou will be working long hours at times. Work itself can be very challenging. It's also far from most other law firms that are located closer to Midtown.

Work culture is very strenuous and demanding, but offers a lot of opportunity for overtime.

Paralegal (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAssociates and partners are very intelligent. Frequent long hours means lots of opportunities to make overtime.

ConsAs a paralegal, very little room for professional growth unless you go to law school. Expect to frequently work long hours and occasional weekends. Some associates and partners can be difficult to work with. Pay raises were 2% annually, less than the rate of inflation which means your salary is technically decreasing each year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Associate (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of responsibility at mid to senior level. Partners who care about your career. Ability to deal with clients and cultivate relationships. Good salary and benefits. Mostly friendly group.

ConsIf you want to succeed, hours are intense.

Great for a beginner to get foot in the door

Floating Secretary (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe Company has a great location and most people are friendly. The Company provides great benefits.

ConsIf you have experience as a legal assistant don't expect to put your skills to use here. The attorneys are mostly self-sufficient and Legal Secretaries here hardly receive any work. LITERALLY I was bored to death and watched Netflix 90% of the time. There is no room for advancement, and weekly overtime is given to a small pool of secretaries for no other reason then they are friends with the secretarial services manager. It is truly a shame that they don't give other employees a chance for overtime. Most of the secretaries there or hired have 0 legal background. So if you don't care about traveling to work to do mostly nothing or super light administrative tasks. If you want to have a great firm on your resume and move forward in two years, then this is a great place for you. If you want to use your brain, then I suggest you RUN.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey give "training" (quotes used for a good reason)... The only comment I can say is that if there is an issue, management would not tell you. Supposedly, there was an "issue" with me (though I never encountered any conflicts with anyone or had any instances of an attorney criticizing my work), and management only told me about it the day I was laid off. Note: I wasn't laid off because of these "issues", but for other reasons. Upon my lay off, the management told me that apparently "someone" had an issue with me and refused to give me an explanation of what that issue was. I wonder, how could someone improve on their "issues" if they are not made clear what they are? smh! The management seems to be a little bi-polar. I never received any criticism and all my reviews were good. In January 2013, I didn't even get a review and she told me upon my lay off that she was postponing my review tell later on... Again, how could someone improve, if they don't know what's wrong?

Great firm. Top notch experience.

Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe firm is a market leader in securitization.

ConsUnpredictable hours. Extremely tough to make partner.

Not a bad place for work

(Former Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits and salary. People are nice and friendly for the most part (except for HR - they are snobs and have attitude). Great location and views are relaxing if you're having a stressful day.

ConsIf you're not an attorney salary comes to standstill you either kill yourself through overtime or you move on. There's not much of an acknowledgement for hard work done, but will be reprimanded almost immediately if you screw up once or twice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to appreciate the hard workers on the firm and show a little more appreciation to staff and not the attorneys. Remember staff is he backbone of that place.

An HR Department rotting from inside out.

Staff (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe benefits are high salary ($50,000-$60,000 for legal secretary positions), on site gym and showers, occasional free lunches from partner meetings, 30 minute or less commute (differ person to person of course) and the career benefit of working for a "top firm". Be ready to make lots of money here with minimal work load but deal with a constant uphill battle with HR.

ConsNon transparency and politics within the office, e.g., HR is very not helpful. The cronies at HR will tell you to trust them and explain your side of the story, but they will always side with the partners in the end. They say, "nothing personal" but it is about taking sides, and that is very apparent.

Advice to Senior ManagementNote to HR: Acknowledge that you are feeding the egos of these partners, and that just because they bring in business, does not give them the right to mistreat, disrespect and cross lines with junior staff. You are only perpetuating the problem and making the firm an uncomfortable and highly undesirable place to work.

Typical large New York law firm.

ProsGreat compensation and benefits for attorneys.

ConsUnpredictable workloads, high pressure, and difficult to navigate if you don't have goals of becoming a partner.

Friendly Environment but no Growth

IT Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou get your hands on a lot of technology and will be exposed to a lot knowledge.

ConsNo room for growth. You work a ridiculous amount of overtime and do multiple jobs with very little reward.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart promoting from within your department.

Worked for Cadwalader Wickersham? Contribute to the Community!