Caesars Entertainment

Updated Mar 1, 2014

Caesars Entertainment President & CEO Gary Loveman

Gary Loveman

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall good experience, not perfect though!

Slot Host (Former Employee)

I worked at Caesars Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCo workers are very cool

ConsVery political, helps if you "in"!

Advice to Senior ManagementShape up

Unfair and Incompetent

I have been working at Caesars Entertainment

ProsFair benefits if your full time
Very decent pay so long as it's non tipped work
Most positions give you decent hours even as a part timer (hotel excluded)
Theres some decent friends to be made
Guests give pretty good tips and gifts
There's always fun company events

Cons"Growth Opportunities" are talked about...just talk.
Promotion decisions are extremely unfair and are based more on seniority than actual competency
There is a lot of drama amongst coworkers
Hotel supervisors screw you on requested time off
Schedules will be made to the Supervisors benefit more than your own
If you aren't full time - your screwed on benefits and perks
Favorites are played - and if you do your job, your not a favorite.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change policies back to the way they were 6 years ago - if we stopped allowing kids in anywhere but the restaurants, there was a reason for it and it obviously shouldn't be changed back. Kids have no place there and within the first day of it being allowed we had a potential child prostituion occur in the hotel - and if you'd discuss changes like this with employees instead of management that don't actually see/speak to customers than it wouldn't happen.

Good opportunity to pick up skills, if you're willing and able to teach yourself

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Caesars Entertainment

ProsBetter than average health benefits at an affordable rate
Opportunities for casual dress days

ConsThe company has headed down hill in the past few years, making the culture of the environment highly negative.
All previous "perks" of the job have been taken away including- bonus eligibility, 401k match, flexible PTO
Discontent is obvious from senior level management on down.
Poor performers are rarely dealt with and strong performers are forced to suffer the consequences. There is little to no accountability on the management level.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to listening to the opinions of professionals below management level. Value the talent you have, rather than compromising it for sub-parr performers that you can hire to save salary costs. Deal with hiring mistakes effectively before the problems get out of hand.

Was at once a great place to work...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat job training.
Customers were treated well
Fun environment
Flexible schedules
Good Health benefits (when I was there)

ConsManagement evaluations of employees was baffling.
Bad behaviour is encouraged by lack of response from management.
Sometimes management would go overboard with new ideas. Ex: Kaizen was taken to ridiculous levels, placing yellow tape around the trash can so you knew where to place it. Really?

Advice to Senior ManagementAnother post mentioned that your staff wasn't compensated fairly. I have to agree. I prospered after I left. However, I do attribute much of my knowledge to the training I received. Get back to your roots.

Compensation for talented professionals is low in the company

Salaried Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at Caesars Entertainment

ProsHarrah's provides all the necessary tools to be able to perform the job. The leader in the industry has many properties to transfer to when looking for advancement or other opportunities. Considering a company of its size, Harrahs does a decent job recognizing/awarding its top performing employees. Harrah's recognizes the importance of the relationships it has with its customers proven by the loyalty that many customers have for the company.

ConsHarrah's does not offer "fair market value" compensation for salaried professionals. Since the economic downturn, many departments reduced headcounts through attrition or elimination and those who were left were forced to pick up the additional work without any additional compensation. Merit increase programs were restructured to barely offer standard of living increases as a reward for top performance. Many talented employees have left the company due to this lack of respect and poor judgement executed to provide investors with a healthier bottom line. Unfortunately, the diminishing talent pool will undoubtedly result in less revenue-generating and cost-saving ideas in the future. Although the job market is currently flooded with professionals looking for work, the economy WILL improve and other businesses will gobble up the talent leaving Harrah's with the leftovers. The companies that take care of their own will grow and the others will struggle.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to take better care of your salaried professionals. They are more important to the company than you think and its only a matter of time before they abandon ship. The importance of building positive relationships is not only limited to the customer. The employees, both hourly AND salaried, are a large part of the product that you offer.

Fun, Family Work Culture No More...

Marketing Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Caesars Entertainment

ProsHarrah's has locations across the country and has the ability of being a launching pad for those who are fortunate to learn the business. They appreciate loyalty and hard-work, having many employees who began as dealers or restaurant staff who worked their way up into management. Despite the reputation of the industry, this location prides itself on being about family/work/life balance and provides support and flexibility for those who have families.

ConsI began working at Harrah's just before business started to dip with first the smoking ban and later the economic downturn. The environment initially felt like a cohesive team, but soon felt like a sinking ship with each man fighting for themselves. Suddenly, senior management employees who had been with the company for years were retiring or going to competitors. It wasn't before long that HR seemed to be on a mission to eliminate dead weight, often looking for any minor mistake to give reason for termination - surely to avoid paying severence. There seemed to be too much middle management and some of that has been reduced with the RIF, but not all.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt goes without saying that these are tough times for the casino industry, as it is for many others, but Harrah's has done a lousy job communicating the severity of the situation without inciting fear and chaos. For a property that prides itself on its culture, the company and this location, specifically, has let employees down. HR has become a joke and one cannot disclose concerns about the conditions of their employment to anyone there as confidentiality does not exist. Employees cannot feel safe in their jobs when they do not get straight forward information from senior management, cannot approach their direct manager for fear of reprimand or losing their job, nor can they turn to HR.

its a shame this will all be written off as a rant from a disgruntled employee when in fact its a plea for help.

Entertainment Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Caesars Entertainment

ProsI used to love going to work, I was proud of where I worked, my schedule and compensation. I used to love the challenge. The job has stayed challenging and now instead of looking forward to my next day, i look forward to go home and leave the stress, backstabbing, and fear at work.

ConsH used to be a great place to work, fair compensation has gone out the window, Not having fear of losing your job for doing your job used to be the attitude, as you knew you had support. In the past few years, bonuses and advances in salary have become largely unbalanced and the selection criteria has been skewed from past formulas that worked. I have been promoted in the past several years and been told "you don't need any more money, you have a title." With the economy down-turn, everyone is on eggshells because you may be the next to go, and it has created a culture where people are eager to find fault in what you do and broadcast it rather than work together in a team environment to accomplish "anything" to push the company in the positive. In the past we all would laugh and have fun with each other and try to have a fun and inviting atmosphere, now Fear resides and VP's have freely admitted to making the RIF process decisions for reasons that are far beyond professional within earshot of other employees and have done so in such a way that only can incite fear. People are in fear to approach their VP's and talk about issues or be the voice of reason and even more fearful of going to HR with concerns or questions as most employees feel there is no longer a safe haven for comments and concerns. During the first round of RIF's there were tons of rumors, it didn't give the appearance that it was well executed because it wasn't all at once, and even though there were changes to major departments, no official announcements were made by the management or HR so the only way you knew is when someone didn't return the calls. No end to the Rif process has been announced so people continue to live in fear. Not a fun place anymore, in fact - rather scary.

Advice to Senior Managementthat its sad that we have to voice this on the internet, rather than have a forum in house to tell you this. Even worse, that someone has to tell you this and that it wouldn't or hasn't been noticed internally. I think that everyone is aware of the impact and extent of the times has on our business and everyone, including myself is willing to sacrifice. I understand how the company grew in the middle management area, and the theory behind the RIF process - when properly executed. Gary, I don't think you are the problem. I know there are some smart people at the wheel, however we all have to wonder when we see our co-workers RIF'd and yet we continue to hemorrhage money at managements execution. I even believe that at our property most of this happens without our GM's express knowledge, I am sure he has trust in the few that make these decisions. At one time I would have put in 1000 hours a week if possible because I believed in it and loved it just that much, its not too late to save me and my co-workers, there are a lot of good people who want to work and do the right thing, we just need a change in culture be honest we are all big people. Focus on education and guidance and not let us focus on getting fired and replaced- we need to stop spending so much time keeping our job so we can get back to Doing our job.

Great place to work if you are single and don't need a social life

Cage Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Caesars Entertainment

ProsHarrah's has a lot of opportunities to help you advance with your career. They promote from within and that makes it easier for new college graduates to launch their career. They offer a great benefit package for the full time employees and a decent on for part time employees. They offer a decent amount of paid time off even within the first year. They have a no fault attendance policy so if you have food work ethics you will be fine. They constantly reward employees for doing a good job, every quarter they give the property a bonus check if they have high customer satisfaction scores.

ConsThe work schedules can be very tiring. The hardest shift to keep staffed is 2nd so that is where most new hires start. That is almost all your day light hours you have no social life. You also work every weekend, even after a year still working every weekend. Holidays are paid a straight time however, if you are late your double penalized. Some of the guests are at times rude and can often wear on your patience. They constantly are watching and reviewing you customer service skills by their own set of guidelines. One example you have to promote a service or product of the casino, try recommending the gift shop when someone just lost a large amount of cash.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery holiday and every weekend kills family time and after a while it just isn't worth it. The time it would take for schedulers to figure out a way to rotate weekends and holidays better would save the company money because the turn around rate would decline.

Worked for Caesars Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Caesars Entertainment reviews and ratings in Joliet, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Caesars Entertainment CEO Gary Loveman. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Caesars Entertainment employees.