Caesars Entertainment

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014

Caesars Entertainment President & CEO Gary Loveman
Gary Loveman

Pros
  • Good benefits overall and generally hard working people that want to learn and do well (in 17 reviews)

• Great team, great benefits, a lot of entertainment (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • This is not the area to work in if you desire a work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Work you VERY long hours and you will NEVER get any appreciation or a thank you in return (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Analytics: Long Hours And Boring Day To Day Tasks

Former Employee - Analyst, Enterprise Analytics
    Former Employee - Analyst, Enterprise Analytics

I worked at Caesars Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

To be quite fair, Caesar's is in the middle of the worst revenue declines in company history, so budgets are TIGHT, so I did appreciate the free meals at the cafeteria and a fairly cheap PPO plan.

I learned (and now appreciate) the soft skills that are a must when working in the business world. I also had a chance to learn business terms that every analyst should know but never had the opportunity to learn in university (YTD, MoM, EOW, etc.). My Power Point and Excel skills are now superb from dealing with it on a daily basis.

The company has a great culture (despite having many disgruntled employees) that encourage team outings, group volunteerism, and corporate intramural sports.

Cons

As stated earlier, Caesar's revenues are dropping YoY (as a consequence of not investing in Macau, which IRONICALLY was based in part on horrible predictions from our analytics department). Because of this, pay is low, raises/bonuses are stunted, and 401(k) plans do not encourage lengthy tenures.

As for the intangibles, work/life balance is non-existent. My former supervisor works 14hr days (including weekends) and is in constant communication with his/her director til 12am on most weekdays. This is due to the TRUE bosses (40 operating hotel general managers, CMO, CFO, CAO, etc.) demanding hundreds of reports that are usually redundant and cost hours to make. Their appetite for these reports stems from wanting to to look at the numbers in any possible way that makes it palatable to the share-holders. A former manager of mine once told me that I needed to stay til 6pm (despite coming in at 7am) because it would look bad on my review for promotions and raises.

Politics are rampant (as usual for a large company) and can be felt down to the analyst I level. In many occasions, the department will hire from outside to try and avoid playing favorites for promotions, but it merely comes off as weak and disloyal.

ADVICE TO PERSPECTIVE CANDIDATE

Ad-hoc Data Logistics
    Advanced Analytics
    Hotel Revenue Management

Best Department: Advanced Analytics or Business Intelligence
    This is because these departments do the most interesting work, allow one to use cutting edge software (Hadoop, SQL, SAS, R, Python...) on a daily basis, and has a fairly descent work life balance.

Worst Department: On Property or Food And Beverage
    This is because the the work is repetitive and unimportant. The only skill one will use in these departments is excel and thus will set someone up for a career as another excel-jockey.

Best Work/Life Balance: Marketing
    While marketing is a large department and may not be true for every position, the general consensus is that the work is not as frustrating as other departments and allows for the use of important skills (SAS, SQL). Furthermore, the department has fewer 10+ hour days.

Worst Work/Life Balance: Finance, Hotel Revenue Management or Gambling Products
    While these departments allow for meaningful/import work and great exposure to high-level projects, they are without a doubt the worst in work/life balance with most people working 10+ hour days and weekends.

Harrah's Casino was once a great company to work for but within the last five years it became a NIGHTMARE!!!

Former Employee - Cage Cashier in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Cage Cashier in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Caesars Entertainment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady employment-while it last.
    Good benefits

Cons

management shows favoritism and aren't trustworthy
    its impossible to take time off
    no recognition
    the employees are treated like machines

Every department in the casino needs new upper management in order to see improvement.

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - Room Attendant in Cherokee, NC
    Current Employee - Room Attendant in Cherokee, NC

I have been working at Caesars Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Harrahs pays better than most jobs in the area. Offers a great benefit package.

Cons

Upper management does not follow through what they tell employees.

Can't believe we are open for business

I have been working at Caesars Entertainment

Pros

Co workers work hard to try to keep up with chaos

Cons

25% of infrastructure 75% of micro management

Upper level should get educated in relation to the real operation. Soon all will see how ignorant the upper management is. Not bad per say just on the "don't care mode or I should have more training and experience"

dealer

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Caesars Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was my first job as a dealer. Not the best one... but still a good place to work. It was very hard to leave.

Cons

I left because there was no way to build a career, even transfer to a better property was prohibited.

Give your employees the opportunity to advance to a better position or better property.

Inept senior leadership

Former Employee - Supervisor in Atlantic City, NJ
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Atlantic City, NJ

I worked at Caesars Entertainment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The relationships developed with guests.

Cons

You're treated like and flat told in some cases that you are just another body. Employee incentives dwindled to almost nothing over the years. Bad benefits.

Show your employees more appreciation. CSA system is very flawed and you shouldn't use it as progressive discipline to get rid of good employees.

Table Games Supervisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Caesars Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Loved the environment, great people to work with. Great pay. Good benefits, a great opportunity to move up if you work hard. Free food.

Cons

Poor training, leadership wasn't always trained to handle difficult situations. poor working hours due to 24/7 jobs. But still loved it!

Work harder to remember where you came from.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Caesars Entertainment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Caesars is a great company to work for. Those who get great results and can improve yoy, get recognized and rewarded. There are plenty of opportunities for great performers. Love this company, its caring culture and ability to drive service with passion. The industry is exciting and fun and Caesars is the world's largest gaming company. Why work anywhere else? The benefits are also amazing. Very proud of the Wellness Rewards program... it's saved many lives and helped others get control of thier health.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of!

Keep up the great work!

OK

Former Employee - Room Chef in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Room Chef in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Caesars Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation, cheap insurance with a soso company, easy work, annual paid training, coworkers were easy to get along with

Cons

Weekly shifting schedules at the last minute (Saturday or Sunday for a Monday shift), no advancement, no equipment to work with or would take months to fix, Culinary UNION promotes people to be lazy(they work hard for 3 months and then it would take 2 years to build up a case to fire them)

LISTEN, LOOK and LEARN

Great experience

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Caesars Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees and great benefits

Cons

need more opportunities for everybody can have a chance to move up

Keep it up