Cafe Rio Mexican Grill Reviews

Dave Gagnon

1. Cashier and Phone Orders

Former Employee - Cashier in American Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier in American Fork, UT

I worked at Cafe Rio Mexican Grill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on food, fun environment, casual dress

Cons

Stressful when busy, its like chickens running around with their heads cut off yelling free meal every 10-20 minutes

Advice to Management

n/a

2. Asst. Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Cafe Rio Mexican Grill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a good company to work for. Its still pretty new to the AZ area as it is growing, but id recommend it to anyone looking for a good job.

Cons

If you don't like to be busy, see lots of People, and have a good time working this might not be the place for you!!!!

Advice to Management

Keep the team work going

Line Cook

I worked at Cafe Rio Mexican Grill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food at times. Ok training

Cons

Taco Tuesdays are absolutely terrible. That was before they just changed it to include everything else. Coworkers were disrespectful as well as managers. Everyone is always stressed and you are breaking your back for no money. Be prepared to burn yourself a lot! Managers also are bad at making sure you get your break.

Advice to Management

If you're not going to give employees their breaks then you should expect the terrible turnover you have.

5. Working here is a learning experience

Current Employee - Line Cook
    Current Employee - Line Cook

I have been working at Cafe Rio Mexican Grill full-time

Pros

-Learn a lot about cooking -Fantastic co-workers -delicious food

Cons

-Understaffed, you will be expected to basically multi task if it's too busy -stressful -Snooty customers -Tuesdays are hell

Advice to Management

Don't treat your staff like it's their fault if it's too busy

6. Companies like these give a bad name to the restaurant business

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Cafe Rio Mexican Grill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

According to anyone at corporate Cafe Rio is #1. The food is good but slowly less and less consistant.

Cons

The stress level is the highest I have ever experienced. Some stress is good, but this is ridiculous. All stores, every single store is short staffed! Also labor budgets are unattainable and inconsistent. Every company has a labor budget that's understandable. But here labor budgets are just ridiculous. On a daily basis we run short staffed and still we can't hit our budget. We go trough a very bad shift short staffed and full of customer complaints and then the DM'S call asking about "how is your labor"??? Really! We just got creamed are mentally and emotionally beat up and you ask for labor!

Advice to Management

I hope someone at corporate that truly cares sees these reviews on this website and can show them to the CEO or the CPO and some action can be taken. I use to be proud of working at Cafe Rio. Now after reading the reviews on glass door it's embarrassing for people to know I work here.

7. Talk to current managers before working here

Current Employee - General Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - General Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Cafe Rio Mexican Grill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sales are great and the food is good. That's about it for the good stuff I really wish there was more

Cons

Don't let the Bonus program be a topic of your interview. Bonuses are non existing. Most of us as GM's are getting zero dollars every month and so are the assistants and oddly enough so are the DM's. Talk to any, any, any manager in the company before working at Cafe Rio. It is scary what they have to say. It's funny to see the "good reviews" on this website it's so obvious they are made up.

Advice to Management

Stop talking about how great the company is doing and how we are number one and how we are positive in sales. Please completely stop talking about it if the bonus program is going to continue to be a joke! We have a running joke in the company now "Hey great job in sales, you guys are killing it in profits. Your bonus is going to be awesome. Wink, wink". Every time we have a conference call about how great we are doing or an email about record sales everyone either text's each other or call laughing about how great our bonus will be. It's embarrassing!!! Some of us still care for the company but please do something about it YESTERDAY.... Cafe Rio has tighten the belt so much over the years that now the executives don't know how to loosen things up to share a minimal amount of profits. If it's this bad now how bad will it get when the company goes public.

Dishwasher

Former Employee - Dishwasher
    Former Employee - Dishwasher

I worked at Cafe Rio Mexican Grill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed to work with some friendly employment and they were wonderful people. Part of me like to keep busy, depend on which day.

Cons

I have been working there for TWO YEARS and everything has gone downhill before I quit. The biggest issue about the managers and how they treated the employees, I've been very frustrating with the managers. The way they treated me like a slave. No one didn't help me with the truck service. One manager choose to walk around the store, sit down and play his phone and doing NOTHING. What is the big deal of earning the money to be lazy and work for a little bit? The other manager choose to ask her employee to do that and that, acting like everyone is the slave. It sounds like she doesn't know how to be an manager of the store. Also, I don't see the point of dishwasher's job side, meats grill... every time the manager asked the other employee to get me to do the grill and interrupted my time with dishes and wasting my time. I felt like they were advantaging my time. I find it very unfair that everyone only have ONE job, not me. I had 7 job sides and I felt like the manager who treated me a slave. -grill -scrub the patio -scrub back outside -lime/lemon juice with juicer machine -set up the display (lemon, lime, tomatoes) -set up the patio -truck service (usually ONE manager helped me, but no longer working there anymore) I'm TIRED of being stressed EVERY WEEK and nothing good come up for me. THIS STORE DO NOT PROVIDE A TEAMWORK. They don't want to willing to provide a teamwork. So normally, I worked 40 hours a week for two years until the last few month before I quit, they decided to cut my hours down to 30 hours (or less) a week and I didn't have much money to pay the rent and the bills plus not enough to support my wife. At least I got a raise only 5 cents. That's it.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management, I suggest them to ACT like the managers. The biggest important for the store is... TEAMWORK. Help each other. I'm telling this... it is one of the MOST important for the employees to make their satisfied and make feel better, plus save their time. That would help to build their characters of the store. The managers MUST help their employees (and treat them RIGHT), not standing around and doing nothing. That will not help to make the store look better.

Growing Company with Great Food and Great People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Cafe Rio Mexican Grill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The quality of the food is incredible at Cafe Rio - it's fun to be a part of something like this. When you wear your uniform in public, it's a great experience (unlike some other places I've worked!). The growth is amazing, and if you're willing to work hard, the opportunities are endless. I have a lot of pride working for Cafe Rio.

Cons

With the fast pace, it can occasionally feel like priorities shift quickly, but that's to be expected a bit.

Cafe Rio Mexican Grill Response

Feb 26, 2015 – Talent Development Analyst

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoy your career and feel proud to work for the company. As you mentioned, things move quickly at Cafe Rio, and ... More

Awful company, so many ways it could be improved.

Current Employee - Lobby in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Lobby in Henderson, NV

I have been working at Cafe Rio Mexican Grill part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like how fast paced it is. The customers can be nice. This was a very good first job for me because I learned how to be more confident. I started out very nervous because I wasn't good at talking to customers on the phone or in person. If I never worked here I wouldn't be the person I am today.

Cons

Terrible pay for all the work one has to do. High turnover rate. My manager once gave free food to a group of 15 people because he gives free meals to anyone who complains since he doesn't know how else to handle it. They came up to complain about how there's "no meat" in their food even though it was obvious they were eating the meat and then coming up to complain. Instead of handling the problem himself, he stayed in the back while me and this other girl had to handle it.

Advice to Management

Don't hand out free meals constantly. If someone's order is messed up, make sure they have a receipt, or don't offer to remake their food or give them a refund. Add an actual system for tipping. Pay your employees more for all the time they must work. Hold on to your employees that have been there the longest since they know a lot more. I started out at 8.65 an hour while two other ladies who have been there for 1-2 years were only being paid 8.50. Education benefits would be nice.

Issues Abound from Discrimination, Dis-empowered Managers, Poor Communication, & Work-Life Balance

Pros

Managers are non-exempt so you are compensated for working above and beyond your 50 hours. Benefits are affordable. Great tools in place, well defined operation standards IF properly executed.

Cons

-The Employee Handbook is not upheld by most; why bother having one. Operations Manual may not as well be used. Training employees to the certification is not done well if at all. Very low standards from employees. The company will often undermine (I've seen this in more than one store) management by allowing VERY INSUBORDINATE employees to defy management. It becomes difficult, nearly impossible to run operations with a staff who feel invincible. The common theme is PREFERENTIAL treatment toward the Latino employees. - Issues with inappropriate work conduct from employees. I've witnessed 2 sexual harassment issues where the investigation process did not lead to the termination of the offender, so long as he provided statements to defend himself. In one instance the complaints came from young high school aged employees. -The company is all about production, production, production. Food handling and cleanliness is the worst I've seen in the restaurant industry. Employees graze on food throughout the day with gloved hands and return to prepping food. This is not reprimanded by management in my observation. Cell phone use WHILE handling food with gloved hands is rampant, so beware. -Weekly Inventory is performed Saturday nights, you will be out by 12 on average. Friday nights you must work a mid (early evening). Split days off if you do not get called in for an emergency to cover. No quality of life based on this schedule demand. -If you have a moral dilemma about witnessing theft of product and time (managers often leave for very extended breaks on the clock) this is NOT the career for you. In addition, you will witness upper management using the "HALO effect" on some of their most undeserving managers. (Accolades, considered for promotion as Coaches). Far too much stock value given for tenure rather than work ethic.

Advice to Management

Great concept on paper. Product is clearly a market leader. But your PEOPLE will be your demise. Tenure means nothing if they run-amok. Be fearless with hiring and training for key positions (sauce, tortilla) on an ongoing basis rather than putting all eggs in one basket. Hold your managers & coaches accountable for upholding them since the reality of what's inside the restaurants is bad for business. Without change, this will surely stifle growth outside of the the Utah market.

Cafe Rio Mexican Grill Response

Jan 26, 2015 – Talent Development Analyst

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear about your concerns. I encourage you to call Cafe Rio's 'We Care Line' to speak with an HR Representative.

RSS Feed </> Embed