Cafe Yumm Reviews

1. One of a kind

Current Employee - Team Member in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Team Member in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Cafe Yumm

Pros

Everyone gets tips every shift. You get tips after training and training is done when you are competent. For me, that took two weeks. Got half tips for two weeks and then after getting an even better hold on things, went to full tips after a total of four weeks, very reasonable. Mark and Mary Anne, the founders are real people with genuine human feelings toward employees. Each and every location is different and thus to be reviewed as such.

I work at the Meridian location in Eugene and it has surpassed all expectations. The people are young, fun and easy to work with. Yes, it is a kitchen, yes, you are going to have to work faster than a desk job, that is the food business. I appreciate being able to choose the music we listen to each day.

After about four weeks, after tips, I make 13/hr! Yes, that's right, 13 an hour. OH and get this, they offer IRA plans to first time employees and will match your contributions up to 3% of your paycheck. FREE MONEY! Name another minimum wage job that will do that for you. You get a free meal every shift up to 7.25, which is a large bowl, basically a lot of food. Want more than a large bowl? That's fine, they will still cover up to 7.25 a shift.

Across the board, if you were to compare Cafe Yumm to other food places to work at, no one will 1. Pay you 13/hr, 2. Treat you like a real person, 3. Be socially, environmentally and financially responsible, 4. Tip everyone, not just people who bring the food out, 5. Give you a free meal every shift and 6. Set you up with an IRA plan...as young as 16! WHAT?! I am still blown away at the last note.

A sign that Meridian is a great Yumm to work at: 75% of people who work there have been there fore 3+ years. Reason people leave: school or they dont like working in the food industry.

WORD OF CAUTION: every yumm is different, we just happen to have a bad-ass manager who treats us like real people and is mutual with respect.

Cons

Small kitchen that needs to be renovated

Lack of a quality break room

Target market population can feel entitled sometimes

Advice to Management

Do whatever you can to keep the Meridian manager around

Promote your beer better, more signage

Be careful of Rico

There are better jobs out there.

Former Employee - Yummer (Yep) in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Yummer (Yep) in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Cafe Yumm part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free food. Tips. Good schedule if you are a student or just looking for something to get you out of the house.

Cons

They tell you it's not fast food, but it is. They make you feel like you owe them something for hiring you, and if you ask for one day off, in advance, they give you the cold shoulder. Once you take this job, you are expected to make it your number one priority in life. You are expected to make sacrifices of any kind to ensure your employment. There are better jobs out there. Don't take this one.

Advice to Management

Don't talk down to employees and make them cry. Try talking to them like adults.

Thanks a lot Cafe Yumm

I worked at Cafe Yumm

Pros

Only pro is employee shift meal.

Cons

I got hired at Cafe Yumm only to be let go of on my second day. I feel as if I was cheated. I never had the chance to use my employee shift meal.They told me that I was not a good fit for there company. After that I was told to come in and give back my shirt and bandana and pick up my check and tips. They are all about helping humanity and the world but bottom line they won't help there employees.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and don't cheat them.

Tight Ship

Former Employee - Dishwasher/Prep Cook--Line Cook in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Dishwasher/Prep Cook--Line Cook in Eugene, OR

I worked at Cafe Yumm part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They know how to run a kitchen. They have high standards and are a high pressure job in the kitchen but they run a tight ship and you will learn a lot about the food service industry.

Cons

They have rigid and high expectations and you have to be ready to work your tail off! Also shift switching is difficult because they keep a bare minimum of employees. I wish I had worked at the Broadway location because that is where their central kitchen is.

Advice to Management

Make it easier to switch shifts.

Please take ANY other job

Former Employee - Yummer (Yes They Call You That) in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Yummer (Yes They Call You That) in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Cafe Yumm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Literally none and that's hard for a place with great food...

Cons

I have been in the food industry for many years and this is hands down the worst job I have ever had!! First of all they offer no pay, no benefits, no advancement opportunities, and treat you like you owe them something. They offer everyone management opportunity in interviews when really there are only a few management spots as these stores are franchised. Oh and they pay managers .25 cents above minimum wage, they specifically avoid telling you that. The work it self is back breaking hard core manual labor. Sweating in no AC (they keep it locked and set at 79 degrees but turned OFF), they will make you work even when very sick with highly transmittable illness and completely lie to corporate about what goes on in there. Ive seen people crying, berated for drink on the job OLCC be damned. I have seen people cry, be berated, and fired for simple rumors or gossip. I was personally berated on several occasions for requesting days off WEEKS IN ADVANCE for my sons medical needs. Saying things like " see this is why we don't hire people with kids" and "we should be a priority". Then when they would interview owner with children the manager would walk back and say "hell no I need people who want to be here not sitting on there butts at home". Also a highly nepotistic business as all the managers are related and good luck getting in there for more than 10.00 per hour... hahaha I am so completely disgusted. Oh and they will not evenly disperse the "tips" you receive as the managers all take there cut first! I personally tried to find a real review for this place here @ glassdoor and didn't find one. Now you have it!

Advice to Management

QUIT YOUR JOB!!

N/A

Former Employee - Line Cook in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Eugene, OR

I worked at Cafe Yumm part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Provides good, healthy, and fresh food.

Cons

Does not treat their employees equally.

Advice to Management

Take less time trying to pinch pennies while allowing more opportunities for employee growth.

8. Great boss but busy and demanding

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corvallis, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corvallis, OR

I worked at Cafe Yumm

Pros

Shift meal is great, boss takes care of you, otherwise its food service

Cons

Demanding and stressful at times, people you know

Advice to Management

take care of your franchises better, be less demanding more helpful

9. Its food service, what else can you expect?

Current Employee - Manager in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Cafe Yumm

Pros

Serving good food that is actually good for you. Not very hard work.

Cons

Not very hard work, gets very boring very quick. Pay is not all that great

Advice to Management

Better communication between locations

10. A company with outstanding potential!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Cafe Yumm

Pros

A company full of integrity and dedicated to serving nourishing, delicious food. Its efforts at sustainability are authentic and not trite -- the company's values are sincere.

Cons

It needs better capitalization and more professional management.

Advice to Management

Hire the best people you can afford -- it's a great concept.