Cafe Zupas

Updated May 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Friendly company, friendly people

Catering Driver (Former Employee)
    Orem, UT

ProsFocused on being friendly to the customers and each other, change up your job quite a bit (not just working one position every day), positive encouragement to do and be better.

ConsYou can tell the corporate people try to make the employees believe things that don't quite make sense (e.g. some salad topping portions sometimes don't increase for larger salads, but they try to convince you that they're skimping on the toppings to keep the flavor the same when it's really to save some money. It's fine, but don't try to convince the employees it's for another reason. We can handle the truth. :) That's just an example, there are other things too.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're fostering a great environment of friendly, happy employees. Just add a little more trust and that'll go a long way.

AMAZING CO-WORKERS BUT LOW PAY

Am Server (Current Employee)
    Draper, UT

ProsEmployees and managers are so friendly and fun to work with! That is the best thing about working here because I have worked some amazing people. Managers try to build up and motivate staff members. Some of the best managers I worked under have been a part of this company. This company strives for excellence and is very goal driven. It is great being part of a company where the food is so delicious and overall healthy!

ConsThe only benefit you receive working for this company is 50% your meal if it is 30 minutes before your shift/30 minutes after your shift or during your break. It is only 50% for your meal only and it can't be "TO GO" you have to eat it there in the store lobby. So if you bring a friend or family in there is no discount! I never bring in friends or family to eat here-if they gave the employees a better discount even just 10% off for your family or one friend with you would be nice.

This company does not really give out raises. Promised raises were never received by some employees. I have been working for this company a little over a year and I still make $7.25 an hour. So many employees quit because of the pay. My store is always understaffed because they struggle getting AM Line Servers and then they last about three months because they can find a job and make more money somewhere else. I love working here-but I don't know how much longer I will stay because of the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive raises to your Line Servers especially if they have been working for you for more than three months! It is a constant struggle to keep employees, if you paid us more less people would look for another job. You demand perfection, being fast and friendly to the guests, and the best out of us. We work so hard for just being paid minimum wage. This company has money-you invest it by building new stores and expanding. But why not also invest money in your current employees who serve in your company? Your restaurant stores cannot operate without your line servers.

Fantastic company that values Employees...to an extent.

ProsWork environment, Servant level of leadership, Quality of product, Pride that come with working with a fantastic, growing brand.

ConsExecutive level needs to learn to communicate more openly and honestly. If you a potential issue, It needs to be addressed with the individual for their own development. Not spoken about in the secrecy of the office and then addressed at an exit interview. This happens far too much and effect peoples livelihoods.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Employee focus and servant leadership is at a level rarely seen. However, you need to not steer away from what you may feel is an uncomfortable conversation and you need to be honest. I've seen far too many frustrations of miscommunications at all levels and as a result a lot of possibly fantastic people have left the organization.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best company I've ever worked for!

Operating Partner (Current Employee)

ProsThe top management cares about their employees, the potential to move up in the company is unmatched in the industry. The company focuses not only on the professional growth of their management, but their personal growth as well. They have fixed schedules for their management and the hours that you are required to work still allow you to have time with your family. They are sales driven but offer great incentives for you to reach them. Their rate of pay is better than most in the industry. They only allow the best management in their company. Never having to work on Sundays!

ConsThe long hours on Saturday. They only allow the best in the industry, so don't expect to get a free ride here, you have to work hard and make your job very important. They don't tolerate low performers, this job is only for the most dedicated in the field.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have never worked for such a wonderful company, every member of corporate cares and they keep people focused on the right things in the restaurant, training, consistency in the food and a fun, friendly, and clean restaurant. Keep up the great work!

Unique

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly workers Awesome Managers Great Food Clean, Sanitary

ConsMinumum Wage as a start 50% off meals Employees are taught to act fake with customers

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do

Fun and exhausting...

General Manager (Former Employee)

Pros-Great ownership
    -Company expanding into multiple markets, extensive growth opportunities
    -Fast-paced environment, not for some but I loved it!!
    -Free meals for the managers!!

Cons-Medical benefits were horrible, plan cost me $700+/month for my family
    -Work/Life balance, 12 hour required shifts EVERY Saturday
    -Developing of personnel became less of a focus
    -Sales, sales, sales...breaking revenue records didn't matter unless you were doing it EVERY WEEK. "Great job, now let's see what you can do next week"
    -Non-qualified management in top positions

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose the focus there was in the beginning to make leaders out of your managers. By refocusing on their growth, revenue growth will surely follow

Love this job!

Am Server (Current Employee)
    Sandy, UT

ProsI love that I get to interact with great people every day. Every person that eats here is your biggest fan, so it makes work fun. We are growing, so my manager talks to me about new opportunities. I like the people that I work with because everyone is very happy.

ConsSo much food, its hard to resist. Busy lunches, so very high paced. At the end of the day you are tired because it stays busy all day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going!

management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe food actually tastes good.

Consif you are not part of their "inner cirlce" or religious views you can kiss your job good-bye.VERY unorganized
    Promises, promises, promises............

Advice to Senior ManagementHR practices need to be in place. The upper management dress so sloppy it is embarrasing.

Great place to work

ProsThe atmosphere is good, with plenty of room to grow. The management seems genuinely interested in you.

ConsSome days can be stressful, but that will happen anywhere you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget to listen to everyone.

Great food, fun atmosphere, incredible leaders!

Salt Lake City, UT

ProsI have been able to work with some of the best people in the industry! The food is great and I get a discount to eat there when I am working! My manager meets with me regularly and is talking to me about moving up soon. For my first job, this is a great place to learn!

ConsAfter you have tasted all the soups, sandwiches, and salads you might gain a few pounds because they are so addicting! I do wish that I could get more hours, sometimes the schedule can be really competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Worked for Cafe Zupas? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cafe Zupas reviews and ratings. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Cafe Zupas employees.