Cafe Zupas

Awesome!

Current Employee - Line Server in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Line Server in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Cafe Zupas part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Tons of coworkers all around the same age makes for a fun work environment.
    A good mix of actual work and messing around.
    Half off food.
    Decent pay 8.50 starting
    Before opening their is a meeting daily where you can discuss anything which can be great to keep things running smoothly

Cons

Long shifts and no breaks if you are over 18
    Good training, although there is alot to learn and it can be overwhelming
    Half off good food means I got fat.

Good stuff. Keep it up.
    Management was awesome and I loved working for them.

line server

Former Employee - Line Server in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Line Server in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Cafe Zupas part-time (less than a year)

Pros

never bored. good food.

Cons

management is scattered and unorganized.

treat the team better.

Line Server

Former Employee - Line Server in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Line Server in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Cafe Zupas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy work
    Friendly management and co workers

Cons

Lots of standing
    working at fast pace

Depends on Who You Work With

Former Employee - Line Server in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Line Server in West Jordan, UT

I worked at Cafe Zupas part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Great Training Program
    -Good Discounts
    -Easy Dress Code
    -Tasks are Fairly Easy
    -Management Doesn't Put Up With Those Who are Constantly Tardy

Cons

-Excessive Amount of Power Hungry Brats Getting the Promotions
    -EXTREMELY Demanding Environment
    -NEVER, EVER Get Breaks
    -Poor Pay for the Work Ethic They Look to Hire Unless in Management.

I was so disappointed while I worked here. I had worked in a pretty high stress bakery 5 days a week prior to Zupas. The bakery was a challenging job, and even without tangible rewards, it was still somewhat rewarding. Zupas made even the most mundane tasks so, so stressful with no reward. And the way we pushed people through the line so quickly was ridiculous and almost unnecessarily fast and not human. I remember getting so stressed and frustrated, I wanted to just walk away from what I was doing and never, ever come back. It was hell after a few months and I had to put in my two weeks before I went insane.
    On a positive note, the training they give you (if done correctly) is awesome. It really goes in depth and will teach you good customer service skills that you can put forth to other jobs you may have in the future, food or not. That being said, YES, this is a great first job, but nowhere to stick around long term. You'll gain a sense of urgency and learn incredible customer service... Which you can use at ANY job in the future.
    If you are going to start working here, get nice shoes, stay on your A-game. It's tough, you need to use your brain and do lots of multitasking while trying to complete your tasks and keep line times down and answer customers questions. Good Luck!

Great Résumé Builder! Awesome Culture!

Current Employee - Catering Driver in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Catering Driver in Orem, UT

I have been working at Cafe Zupas part-time (less than a year)

Pros

1. Hiring
    a. Management makes an active effort to hire employees who will both work hard and work well with a team. Not either/or. They won’t just take anybody even if they’re understaffed.
    b. There’s an entire process just for people who have no work experience, it’s a great service to the community.
    2. Training
    a. The program is very well structured and thorough.
    3. The Daily Grind
    a. It’s very fast paced, which makes the shift go by very quickly; I always go home after every shift feeling the satisfaction of a job well-done.
    b. There are generous opportunities to develop leadership skills every day for each employee.
    4. Management
    a. The management is always actively improving their leadership skills.
    b. The managers will actually follow procedures, and expect their employees to as well; in other words, nobody gets ‘selective special treatment’, and the managers don’t let you get away with diverting from procedure.
    c. The hands-on management can be great for professional references.
    5. Promotions
    a. Merit based; If you are willing, able, and work harder than anyone else, you can get promoted very quickly.
    b. Seniority is not even a factor. This ensures that only actively dedicated people are in leadership.
    6. Schedule
    a. As long as there’s a large roster, it’s fairly simple to get days off/get shifts covered.
    7. Compensation
    a. The pay is fair for the industry.

Cons

1. Hiring
    a. If you’re waiting for an interview, be prepared to sit tight for up to 30 minutes after your scheduled time. Depending on how busy the lunch-rush was, they might have some pressing matters to take care of first.
    2. Training
    a. There seems to be a serious disconnect between Line Servers and Corporate as far as procedures go; the employee manuals and training workbooks are very outdated. There are quite a few things that nobody knows exactly what to do because of that. Not sure if that’s on middle-management or not.
    3. The Daily Grind
    a. If employees don’t do things when they’re supposed to while opening it can lead to a very stressful lunch-rush.
    b. If employees aren’t communicating well with each other it can get very stressful.
    4. Promotions
    a. Although you can get on a promotion path quickly, it can take up to a month before you’ll actually start training.
    5. Compensation
    a. Although the pay is fair for the industry, it is not competitive.
    b. The only benefit is 50% off a meal, 30 minutes before/after a shift depending on which shift you work. You can’t get it to-go.

1. Training
    a. Please update the manuals and training books.
    b. Keep the Line Servers updated on any other changes in procedures. Again, not sure if that's on middle-management or not.
    2. Compensation
    a. The ‘Fast and Friendly’ program has a lot of potential. Might I suggest that instead of a candy bar, a temporary raise for repetitive wins? This would be some real incentive to help lower turn-over rates.

Fun first job

I have been working at Cafe Zupas part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training and the people are fun to work with! The food is really good, and it helps you learn to work in a team. Perfect first job.

Cons

They tell you there are opportunities to advance but they will never give you a raise or any benefit. You can't accept tips and you are undervalued by the managers.

Reward good employees, anything from a free meal to a movie ticket or even a candy bar.

Fun and friendly environment, but extremely underpaid

I have been working at Cafe Zupas part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The managers are usually fun, friendly, and motivate you to have fun while working, and co-workers are pretty nice people to work with.

Cons

First of all, they promise a raise but it won't happen until the day you put your two weeks in, and even then you won't get much. There is no tip jar and you cannot accept tips. Zupas is NOT clean. As long as everything "looks" clean, you're good. For a minimum wage job, they overwork you demanding perfection and having you get on your knees and clean every corner and scrub the floors, cook, prep soups and food in the back since the chefs almost never cook enough. You must ask for a day off a week and a half in advance, and cannot switch shifts or get your shift covered unless it is an emergency. The only benefit you get is 50% your meal before or after work, and cannot get the discount with a friend or get the meal to-go. And the food is anything but healthy. A meal at McDonalds has less calories than a try 2 at zupas.

The environment is already a nice one to work in, but for the work you demand you have to increase pay. There should be tip jars at every Cafe Zupas. Covering shifts and calling in sick should not be such a problem.

Great environment, fast paced, great for a first job!

I have been working at Cafe Zupas

Pros

The people, the friendly environment, the different tasks.

Cons

None that I could think of.

Pay us more.

AMAZING CO-WORKERS BUT LOW PAY

Current Employee - Am Server in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Am Server in Draper, UT

I have been working at Cafe Zupas part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees and managers are so friendly and fun to work with! That is the best thing about working here because I have worked some amazing people. Managers try to build up and motivate staff members. Some of the best managers I worked under have been a part of this company. This company strives for excellence and is very goal driven. It is great being part of a company where the food is so delicious and overall healthy!

Cons

The only benefit you receive working for this company is 50% your meal if it is 30 minutes before your shift/30 minutes after your shift or during your break. It is only 50% for your meal only and it can't be "TO GO" you have to eat it there in the store lobby. So if you bring a friend or family in there is no discount! I never bring in friends or family to eat here-if they gave the employees a better discount even just 10% off for your family or one friend with you would be nice.

This company does not really give out raises. Promised raises were never received by some employees. I have been working for this company a little over a year and I still make $7.25 an hour. So many employees quit because of the pay. My store is always understaffed because they struggle getting AM Line Servers and then they last about three months because they can find a job and make more money somewhere else. I love working here-but I don't know how much longer I will stay because of the pay.

Give raises to your Line Servers especially if they have been working for you for more than three months! It is a constant struggle to keep employees, if you paid us more less people would look for another job. You demand perfection, being fast and friendly to the guests, and the best out of us. We work so hard for just being paid minimum wage. This company has money-you invest it by building new stores and expanding. But why not also invest money in your current employees who serve in your company? Your restaurant stores cannot operate without your line servers.

Friendly company, friendly people

Former Employee - Catering Driver in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Catering Driver in Orem, UT

I worked at Cafe Zupas part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Focused on being friendly to the customers and each other, change up your job quite a bit (not just working one position every day), positive encouragement to do and be better.

Cons

You can tell the corporate people try to make the employees believe things that don't quite make sense (e.g. some salad topping portions sometimes don't increase for larger salads, but they try to convince you that they're skimping on the toppings to keep the flavor the same when it's really to save some money. It's fine, but don't try to convince the employees it's for another reason. We can handle the truth. :) That's just an example, there are other things too.

You're fostering a great environment of friendly, happy employees. Just add a little more trust and that'll go a long way.