Caine & Weiner Company, Inc

Updated July 26, 2014
1.8

Greg A Cohen

It's an okay job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative(First Party Collections)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative(First Party Collections)

I have been working at Caine & Weiner Company, Inc part-time

Pros

They are not open on Sundays and Saturdays you get to come in early and leave early. They give incentives and depending on your collections you get extra money on Saturdays.

Cons

For part time, no direct deposit only full time people get that. The hours during the week are okay, but you end up leaving at nine Monday thru Friday. There does not seem to be raises according the other employees that have been there.

It basically sucked

Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Caine & Weiner Company, Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There isn't any pro working for this company. Only pro I can think of is these A holes at this company should learn on how to take care of their employees. Greg Cohen is a self centered A hole that only cares about making serious money so he can drive his many many import cars.

Cons

The commission structure is set up where you bust your butt to collect the company 17k and I walked away with 200.00. They also split your monthly goal every two weeks. Meaning, if you are 5k off of your 2 wk goal, that carries over to the last half of the month goal, making it impossible to hit commission.

Take care of the hands that take care of you. Stop hiring very experienced collectors, like myself that has 9 years in the industry, and hire them for 12.00 an hr. Saw a job post for C&W recently and now they're hiring for 8-10 an hr. What a slap in the face. Guess Greg has to pay for his many import cars that he owns. Because he sure as hell isn't trying to take care of the people that let him drive BMW'S and Mercedes.

This experience had literally affected my health

I worked at Caine & Weiner Company, Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I cannot think of one good thing out of working here.

Cons

Where do I start? They do not believe in raises or reviews, no respect for employees, benefits are a joke, overworked (and not compensated for), hostile work environment, they are cheap with office supplies, too many chiefs and not enough Indians, they really should drug-test their employees (I bet most are high or drunk), lack of communication throughout the entire company, stress of this place had affected my health, gossipy environment, good work goes unnoticed, not one competent person in the office, HR doesn't exist, the IT department is horrible, the equipment is faulty and copier is always broken.

That is all I can think of for now.

Ha! They don't listen to their employees.

Unappreciated

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Caine & Weiner Company, Inc part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're competitive, chance at commission

Cons

Low chance of moving up in the company. Overworked

Treating employees in such a manner that makes them feel easily disposable does not work well. Bear in mind I was a great employee, was a manager favorite because my great commission equals great commission for the upper management.

Management needs Management: This is the most extreme case of micromanagement.

Current Employee - Collections in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Collections in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Caine & Weiner Company, Inc

Pros

Weekly cash payouts for ach payments tax free, and you will recieve them on Monday.
    Holidays observed
    In a newer building

Cons

Micromanagement at it's worse. There is a traveling trainer who comes to the satellite locations to inverview, hire, disrupt, and depress the employees. She abuses powers, and pry for information. She tells you to tell her your problems so that she can help you. What she does with the information is use it against you and build a case against you. Beware of the unqualified trainer who is currently seeking to work elsewhere.

No set fee goals.

They can and will change your goals at the drop of a dime. For instance, they give you a goal of 8k to enter bonus level. If you hit it more than once your goal will be raised. Most places have a set fee goal, or at least a formula that they gladly share with you. Not Caine and Weiner, i have asked for a formula for over 7 months so that I can review and set realistic goals for myself, i am still waiting.

As a retail collector, it takes time to build a solid base. In this system there is no reward for building your base, you will lose money because your goals will be raised and if you do not hit it, you will be written up.

No raises.

I was due a 120 day review for a raise, I did not get one, I was due a 1 year raise, and did not get a raise.
    They promise you that you can make over 50k in income, this is not possible as a collector at caine and weiner, due to the sliding scale fee goal. Very low percent for bonus 8%. Example, there was a collector who hit 26k in fees, her pay was $1400.00 in bonus money. In other systems 26k in fees would net atleast 3k in bonus.

No open door policy.

I contacted the CEO when I found out that I was lied to in my interview, I let him know that the Trainer/Interviewer told me and 4 more employees that our earning potential could easily hit 80k.
    I was soon written up.

I finally recieved my One year review last week. I have broken records for phone time, and usage, I have excelled with a very high inventory. After i was denied a raise for the second time. I asked management a simple question. It was (How much money does a collector need to collect over thier goals to raise thier income by 10K) The Manager, Trainer, and the CEO could not answer this simple question. But when the CEO continuously move the goals, it is impossible to answer. So I put in my two weeks notice. My new job will start on Nov 11th. The goals are set at 7k per month no matter how big your base is, and it will never change. I did my homework on this place and they are who they say they are.

Management will not accept responsibility, or accountability.

They will not allow the in house manager to manage.

I only wished I had found Glassdoor, before I took the job at caine and weiner. Only after I saw how thing were ran did I begin to look for reviews and previous complaints. I found one in Woodland hills (home office) and Chicago. Hopefully this inside look helps the next victim. Real collectors need to work for a real agency, and this is not a real agency, it has potential to be one, but the ceo either has to leave or take a good look at himself.

No matching 401k

The worst healthcare in the world.

HR is a joke. Please do not call him, he will not help you in any way, the only thing he is good at would be paper work for resigning employees like myself.

Advice only to CEO

Before you hire the next person as a collector, tell them that you cannot fill in these blanks below:

You need to make $_______ over and beyond your goals to increase your income by $_____.

Once you answer this then you will be on the road to having a real agency.

Do not be so greedy, you often ask how can the employees make the office more money, well if you changed it to how can I help my employees make more money, then everyone will make more money you are only paying out 8%. You are keeping 85% of the ACH money that is tax free.

Is it really fair to expect a collector to work at building thier base just to have thier goals raised? Is there another collections agency in the world that does that? Is your plan to show a healthier bottom line so that you can sell the company?

If you wish to continue to micromanage, visit the offices more than two times a year. And you should also support an open door policy. A collector should not be the one who tells you a client is worked poorly. If you did not micromanage, you would know these things.

Lose the temper, you will get your best out of your management team if you cease your verbal abuse, then they would have no reason to withhold information. Good or bad!!!

Stop attempting to intimidate.

Better than alot of other agencies out there

Current Employee - Collection Specialist in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Collection Specialist in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Caine & Weiner Company, Inc

Pros

Good commissions can be made here, managment gives you all the opportunites to write your own check. Cash Bonus on a monthly bases and there is teamwork, colloectors help each other out to make the month. Free paid days off if offices make their goals which is great during the summer, overall good enviroment.

Cons

No 401k matching and the health benefits really suck. Can be a stresful environment and there is alot of pressure from upper management. Also you never get a raise no matter what you were promised during the interview usally you end up having your seat/budget raise in order to work there without notice and without a formula. Greg and managment setup budgets based on what Greg wants to pull out for the month.

Get a formula for your budgets so you don;t lose employees especially since you don;t give out raises.

Don't work here, You 'll want tp leave within a year.

Former Employee - Collections Administrator in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Collections Administrator in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Caine & Weiner Company, Inc

Pros

It is a job and you receive a paycheck. The work is not illegal This is a legitimate commercial collection agency that is licensed in all 50 states.. It's basically Monday through Friday from 9a.m. -5 p.m. with a half hour lunch. No weekend or evenings. Paid holidays and vacations. Professional training is provided and additional educational training is provided including seminars and professional licensing that you can take with you to another job. Upper management will handle problem people who call and complain about you contacting them regarding payment of their debts and management will back you up. Management also handles any lawsuits filed against you by debtors.

Cons

This is an atmosphere in which you will work alone and not as part of a team. If your strength lies in being a team player this is definitely not the place for you. Although they won't admit it to you in the interview, the company does not giving raises instead you get empty promises that you will receive more accounts which will increase your commissions and or bonus. There are no cost of living increases, . The company provides mediocre medical & dental coverage and does not contribute to the 401K. The turnover rate is very high and you are are required to give an accounting for every minute of the day you are a on company time

The employees could and would be more productive if the micro management ceased and a team atomosphere was created where all the employees worked together to make the company successful.

Worst collection agency ever!

I have been working at Caine & Weiner Company, Inc

Pros

If you want to work there forever you can.

Cons

Insurance is horrible, nothing is covered, especially emergencies. New "bonus" plan takes clients away if you don't hit your goals. The numbers they want you to hit are unrealistic and impossible. They are constantly readjusting commission structure so everyone makes less money. Management is always screaming at people and they never take accountability. Management could care less about client's best interests and will say whatever it takes to close a sale.

Sell