Cairneagle Associates

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rupert Barclay

Built my career

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgiven responsibility; normally good work-life balance
    Exciting and venture orientated strategy consultancy. You can't get this level of experience anywhere else.

ConsSmall firm, so you need to be hands on deck,
    Struggled with process and training
    Because of size, struggles with brand apart from in very small circles of clients - which can lead to problems marketing yourself afterwards despite excellent experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to keep up reputation for high quality work.

Will be a very exciting place to be over the next few years

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGoing to be a high growth company over the next few years. Creating some serious waves in education and media sectors. You get autonomy and responsibility very early on. There is a good office atmosphere. And you really count for something here. Your work and opinions will show visible effects on the future direction of the company. Some very interesting/hyper intelligent people working here from a large array of backgrounds and cultures. Incredible place to learn personally and professionally.

ConsIt is small in size. As it's growing management are still trying to figure out the optimum way of doing things, i.e., still don't get everything right first time round with respect to personal development and office management. Often reviews and training is done casually on the fly.
    Not a suitable place for someone who requires lots of structure and guidance.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs growing rapidly now is the perfect time to set good foundations for the future i.e., I'm thinking about personal development, project management structure, and brand here. Don't take foot off the selling pedal just because work load is growing so fast. People are your asset. Now is a good opportunity to encourage loyalty, even (especially) amongst alumni!

Small friendly strategy consulting firm with a strong entrepreneurial angle

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsDay to day engagement with senior management with plenty opportunities to learn
    Wide range of industries to work with, interesting high-profile clients
    A lot of responsibility given to junior consultants, including client engagement opportunities
    Very friendly atmosphere
    Great location
    Amazing gym

ConsUnknown brand
    Unpredictability of very busy vs. very quiet periods
    Training primarily on-the-job

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on individual professional development of consultants

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting, high-profile work with fun and smart colleagues

Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsHaving worked at much bigger firms, I really appreciate the nimbleness of Cairneagle. The culture is very entrepreneurial, everyone is encouraged to come up with new ideas and even the more junior consultants can be given important responsibilities and leeway when they show that they can handle it.

Projects are varied and high-profile, often with blue-chip clients. Lots of visibility on the company pipeline and workflow. As a consultant, you're often involved from the very start (client/area development) to the end (answering post-project client questions) of engagements.

The culture is incredibly friendly and rarely a week goes by without employees going out for a meal or for drinks. Special emphasis on discovering and reviewing all restaurants in Soho.

ConsUsual downsides of small firms: fewer perks (though we do get a great gym membership), company-paid outings are rare, and processes can be very disorganized.

Boutique strategy consulting firm providing great insight into the industry in a unique and powerful way

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe work - projects are interesting and relevant
    The exposure - you're treated as a member of the team from the offset and able to see physical (or electronic) evidence of your contributions to the team from very early on
    It's boutique size - you're able to see and take part in all the going-ons in the firm
    The location - the office is right in the centre of Piccadilly Circus. Very hard to find a better location in central London than that!
    The people - you will be working with a diverse range of people, all hard working, smart, great to get along with and really good at telling bad jokes!

ConsThe limited number of industries covered - however this allows you to gain an in depth understanding and expertise into the chosen fields

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Continue to hire people who are not only able to do the work but fit into the culture of the firm. Look for further ways to expand but don't lose your core skills, strengths and culture

A good consulting firm doing real strategy work with a collegiate office environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsA small firm where consultants are given responsibilities and facing clients from very early on
    Real high-profile strategy work, not just CDDs or dull projects
    Some high-calibre clients in sectors as education, technology and media
    Good management, with real hands-on involvement and experience
    Very good office environment and a truly collegiate atmosphere; excellent location
    In summary, a good place to learn by doing

ConsA small firm also means consultants need to do all the tasks the project involved - obviously no research or support teams as in the big firms
    Although not very frequent, some long hours involved
    Pay is lower than in bigger and top-brand firms
    Firm could do with a bit more of sector focus - as far as I understand, the firm is working on this

Smart people and interesting, challenging work

(Former Employee)

ProsSmall teams and hands-on Partners mean less redundant output and the opportunity to regularly contribute to project thinking and discussions from day one
    Stringent hiring process results in a very high calibre consultant pool
    Fairly travel light by general consulting standards
    Firm’s entrepreneurial spirit can result in variety of interesting projects that sit outside ‘typical’ consulting work

ConsSmall firm can result in a number of projects for a few key clients
    Pay is lower than larger firms
    More consultant downtime than larger firms, which can be good for balancing workload however producing marketing packs and supporting Partners on new business can become tiring

Very interesting although sometimes analytically difficult work for good clients

Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCairneagle carries out varied and interesting projects, and the internal atmosphere is definitely adventurous - we often did work in markets where there was little if any "prior art". There is a lot of freedom for consultants to develop their own thinking and work in areas where they have interest.

ConsSometimes the business takes on extremely tough assignments in markets that are not well served with information / analysis, and the project goes down one or more blind alleys. The small teams mean that once you fall behind catching up can be difficult.

Little respect for employees and treat clients as marks in a con job

ProsReasonable pay with a good office location. Relatively normal working hours by consulting standards, mainly due to a lack of high profile rush jobs.

ConsPoor management and culture. Whole culture is entitled and disrespectful towards others, including job seekers and clients. Management team obviously don't really know what they are doing, prefer to leave a lot of the details to underlings, who likewise are clueless without guidance resulting in a fairly chaotic environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more structured and focus more on having a good culture rather than just bringing in random jobs.

Worked for Cairneagle Associates? Contribute to the Community!