Cake Group NY

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
2.8

Jenna Fidellow

Smart + hard workers will thrive in this exciting environment, but don't expect a huge salary

I worked at Cake Group NY full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working here b/c I came from over the top, nose-to-the-grindstone chaos of my previous agency. Cake instilled in me the method to work 'smart'. That certainly met some cutting of corners and a bit of devious agency agenda setting. If you enjoy the pace of real time social media mixed with PR-driven promotions, then this is your place. But, be sure to know they will ask that you do more than you've been asked and help with a lot of event and content production, new business development, rubbing elbows with extremely difficult "partners" and (on the side of the spectrum) great clients.
    They do an excellent job of connecting you with their other offices around the world, too.

Cons

Not great pay in relation to the amount of work you'll put in. But, that's par for the course in PR/Marketing agency world. I worked there at a time when the office space was not ideal. I've seen the new office and it looks a bit better and more "formal" which you may read as stodgy, but I liked it. Leadership can be a bit tricky for people without thick skin.

A bit more pay could retain employees for longer stints

Bad Cake- Horrible!

I worked at Cake Group NY as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great Office Space
    Free Snacks
    Havas Media is parent company

Cons

I worked here as a contractor and it was one of the worst experiences of my professional experience. I went in with the assumption that Cake Group was a group of smart, innovate, creative beings. Wrong! The corporate culture is trash- cliquey and poorly managed . This new agency is looking to find its way while retaining the clients that they currently have. Instead of focusing on doing a stellar job, management insists upon spending extensive time into putting together unsubstantiated presentations for clients. Everyone is over extended and doesn't a real grasp on what their job is.

Talk to people with respect, treat all employees as equals.

Maintain a good corporate workplace instead of fostering a sorority type of environment. Maybe then the turn-over rate won't be so high.

Cliquey Cake

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Cake Group NY (less than a year)

Pros

the work culture is very laid back and collaborative. Cake encourages employees to continually be inspired, so going to music, art and cultural events are all apart of the job. Being apart of Havas Media puts Cake in a perfect place to attain new client business and network with other media professionals.

Cons

Extremely, extremely "cliquey"! The senior staff seems misguided and uninformed about many things. The staff is all over worked because Cake takes any kind of project before properly assessing what the client is actually asking of them and if they have the right employee in place with that specialty. Senior staff doesn't seem to trust the ideas of younger, smarter, employees who want to prove themselves.

Stop trying to build a sorority/fraternity house and perhaps build an organization where YOU mentor and guide employees for smarter results with clients and maybe you will A) retain your clients longer and B) retain your employees longer. Just a thought.

Fast, furious and fun!

I worked at Cake Group NY full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really enjoyed my time at Cake. The business has a distinctly British feel and approach about it which is something I had not encountered before - but i Loved it for the creativity approach and pure enjoyment. To be a part of a small start up backed by a huge network felt special as it makes for a flat structure and approachable management. The opportunity to learn how to run a business was extremely valuable too.

Cons

Being part of a start up meant long hours and much plate-spinning. I found myself having to work across a wide range of accounts and skill-sets that I often felt out of my depth in. being part of Cake was great but the bigger holding company Havas was riddled with politics and over protective types from some different era where collaboration is a dirty word.

Hire more smart people, be focussed on Social Media as you guys rock at this. Don't be too grumpy on a Monday - we all feel the same...

A creative-led company well positioned for growth

Former Employee - Senior Social Marketing Strategist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Social Marketing Strategist in New York, NY

I worked at Cake Group NY full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Owned by Havas, the company has offices and support around the world leading to many projects that span multiple countries.
    - Willing to invest in employees through non-traditional benefits, Cake offers things like yoga at the office or tickets to expensive conferences.
    - There's an opportunity to build your own position by outlining your strengths and business/career growth opportunities.
    - Because the company is so small, the environment is very hands-on. While at most places you wouldn't have the chance to interact with senior leadership, the co-founder/managing director and managing partner are both very involved in all aspects & pieces of business.

Cons

- At times, it can be a high-stress environment. Like many advertising/PR agencies, there are sometimes quick turnarounds that require staying late and putting personal commitments aside.

Cake is under poor management, if they continue to head in their current direction they will quickly crash and burn.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cake Group NY full-time

Pros

Great employees
    Creative Office Space
    Well known clientele

Cons

Unapproachable Management
    No direction
    No company goals/values
    Not honest with clients
    Very high turn over rate (about 90%/per year)

Management sets all of their employees up for failure upon hiring. They need to set individual goals and descriptions for each employee. Management should work on becoming more approachable and giving more respect to their employees.

Good company that is growing quickly

I have been working at Cake Group NY full-time

Pros

-Good company culture and creative/interesting employees
    -Growing client list
    -Support of the larger Havas network
    -Employees encouraged to pursue what interests them, whether that's attending a specific conference or taking a class outside work
    -Hands on - get to work with everyone from interns to very senior management

Cons

While some people have said upper management is unapproachable I would disagree. I think the truth is that as a small company employees are held to high standards and a lot is expected of them. You have to put in the effort and be able to hold your own - things move too fast and there is too much going on for one person to let things slip through the cracks.

As a result there are often big deadlines, tight turn arounds, and a fair share of stress. Since the company is still growing/has recently won a number of new accounts they are a bit understaffed at the moment.

All small, new(er) agencies have growing pains

I have been working at Cake Group NY as a contractor

Pros

Talented staff from diverse backgrounds and experiences
    Creative work space
    Corporate setting – benefits of a large agency network (Havas)
    Impressive client roster (varied across sectors including fashion, beauty, lifestyle, auto, beverage)
    Entrepreneurial spirit and practice

Cons

Small work space, not enough quiet space
    Work environment and culture is not for everyone

Staff needs work plans
    Regular employee reviews to support the above and company morale

Hodge Podge of Crap

I have been working at Cake Group NY full-time

Pros

Do British accents count?
    Close to trains

Cons

- No infrastructure in place
    - Cheap and unscrupulous business practices
    - No guidance, direction or strategic insight provided by senior management
    - Never seen a company with a higher turnover rate (and that with only about 10 total employees)
    - Clients don't get tactical, strategic insights - they get a hodge podge of "crap" and then wonder why they get fired by clients almost every 3 months
    - It's run more like a high school "clique" than an agency. New hires are usually on a downward spiral about 2 weeks in.
    - They piggyback and rely on the UK office's high success rate, press, strategy and client wins.

Close shop. Seriously.

Stifling

I worked at Cake Group NY full-time

Pros

Has a great reputation - largely thanks to its London office and its earlier NYC work... Has packaged work and results well, even if the process in getting things done is an absolute mess...

Cons

Run like a dictatorship - senior management speak 80% of the time at brainstorms, new biz pitches, and client meetings, so it's stifling for anyone else who's talented and wants to grow. Turnover is extremely high precisely for this reason.

Get new management - that's the reason why anyone who's talented, smart and ambitious leave... It's very sad how the London and NY offices are run very differently, with the former being much more progressive and the latter run like a dictatorship of sorts...