Cal Dining

Cal Dining Reviews

Updated May 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fun teamwork with smart people!

Student Food Service Worker (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsSorry that I had to graduate this school and not be able to continue with the work-study with this company. For a food service job you are treated well.

ConsThe challenges are few as the management team is very forgiving with your schedule and works with you to fit your school schedule. You have to wear a hair-net, you don't get paid time off but that's to be expected with this type of job.

Great job for Cal students

Food Service Worker (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsFlexible schedules (a plus for students because of class schedules--Cal dining can work around when YOU are able to work); great atmosphere, diverse coworkers, and different locations (there's something for everyone); and there are many perks for student workers (one of them being able to eat a meal during one's break--great for students low on meal points and/or on a budget)

ConsYou have to love food and working with customers no matter what.

Great!

Marketing Assistant/Social Networking Assistant (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsLots of opportunity to grow and gain valuable experience. Great employee perks and flexible work hours!

ConsSometimes the work gets repetitive because each school year is about the same. However, looking at each day individually, the work is never boring.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Food Service Worker - A Student Perspective

Food Service Worker - Crew Leader (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsWorking at Cal Dining gives great opportunities for students at Berkeley to achieve some sort of financial independence. Raises are given at a steady per-semester rate. The grapevine is useful to get subs to cover shifts.

ConsIt is, to be honest, one of the more labor-intensive jobs available to students at UC Berkeley. Shifts are very competitive due to limited numbers and recent cut-backs.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication and inter-sub opportunities between dining locations around campus would be much more useful in regards of worker quality and shift availability.

Flexible, but baffling

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat salary, flexible schedule, nice working environment. The management is very considerate and if you work at a campus restaurant instead of a DC, you can choose your own hours (subject to their approval, of course)

ConsFor some reason they prefer to hire new hands rather than retaining old workers. You might also need to work longer hours if they want you to.

It was pretty laid back and very self-motivating.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get free food and the hours are very flexible, so it's great for students to work there. The people are generally nice as well and the work isn't too demanding.

ConsIt is hard to find enough work to be done and the department I was in was a bit understaffed. Another downside is that there wasn't any real formal training as to how to use the graphic design software, which is okay because you learn as you need to, but it also makes for slow progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement: I wish that you would take your student workers more seriously. Even though we are work study students, I would have liked to learned more with my time there.

Worked for Cal Dining? Contribute to the Community!