Cal Dive Reviews

Quinn J. Hébert

1. Tender/Commercial Diver

Former Employee - Diver in Neptune Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Diver in Neptune Beach, FL

I worked at Cal Dive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The experiences that you won't find at most dive companies. Some were good some were bad. What mattered was how diverse these experiences were. If you're doing the same ol offshore diving that a lot of small companies did you will never be any good. Some of the diving superintendents and supervisors there had so much knowledge they passed on to me is invaluable. The men offshore at that company have forgotten more about diving than the world will ever know.

Cons

No hurricanes, the economy, the board of directors. Also they swung for the fences too many times. There is more to it (things above my pay grade), but no need to bash a company that helped me out when I needed it.

Advice to Management

I don't give advice to management they give it to me. And all the guys and gals in management that are out of a good job/career keep trucking.

Accounting staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Cal Dive (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many good people within middle management, many long time industry folks with a good knowledge base. Strong accountants, but upper management does not listen or get along with the accountants.

Cons

Upper management is completely clueless, they have run the company into Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. All benefits have been taken away, no more 401K match, insurance premiums are through the roof.

Advice to Management

Time to look elsewhere for a CEO, Quinn Hebert at the helm for all of these years has done nothing but run the company into the ground. Listen to the experienced people in middle management, pay attention to your F&A department.

This company is GONE; good riddance!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Cal Dive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reasonably decent salary, free (if crowded) garage parking, good but expensive eatery in the basement....that's about it.

Cons

Incompetent management that boldly LIES in your face: was told I was going to visit several of our international locations right up to the day before everyone was let go - upper management didn't know that was coming? Yeah right! There's plenty more to tell but this company has gone bankrupt and is gone.

Advice to Management

I was told the company hasn't made a profit in over FIVE YEARS, so whatever I could say would fall on deaf ears anyway....if anyone is still there.

Mediocre experience

I worked at Cal Dive

Pros

Early Friday dismissal, immediate coworkers, direct boss, onsite gym.

Cons

Poor upper management, no warning of dispatch offshore, reactive culture, laid off.

6. Probably the worst job I ever had.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Cal Dive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, right in the middle of the range for my type of work.

Cons

Pretty much everything - inept leadership, horrible IT department, employee manuals not current....need I go on? Everyone on my floor was constantly sick from what appeared to be "sick building syndrome" (lots of absenteeism). To top it off, discussions with "people who know about these things" revealed that the company hasn't made any profit in 5 years and was in serious financial difficulties before I ever started working for them.

Advice to Management

What can I say? This company filed for bankruptcy on Friday, February 13th, 2015 - there is nothing I can say or do in the way of advice....if the company is even still in existence.

A company that has lost its way.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Cal Dive full-time

Pros

Excellent salary....and that's about it.

Cons

Old, antiquated computers that belong in a museum. All necessary software was not loaded on my computer, had to ask....and ask....and ask again. Too many inconsistencies with computer usage; one day everything works well, next day nothing works; indifferent IT department. Building has "sick building syndrome": almost nonstop sneezing and coughing and wheezing. Overpriced, poor quality insurance. Manuals used on job not up to date by at least 1 to 2 revisions. Too many promises made, all of them broken. Lots more I could add but why?

Advice to Management

Too late for me to offer any advice, this boat is sinking fast (pun intended).

8. Family oriented company

I worked at Cal Dive

Pros

Great work-life balance, company valued employees as individuals. Promotes heavily within.

Cons

Current financial situation made it very difficult.

Advice to Management

Cut the fat

Great Job 4 years out of 7.

Former Employee - Marine in Broussard, LA
    Former Employee - Marine in Broussard, LA

I worked at Cal Dive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can tell you what WERE the best reasons to work for CDI. When I hired on in 2008, CDI was at the top of the pay scale in the Gulf, benefits were fantastic (BCBS, profit sharing, 401k, the list went on and on). CDI took care of their employees. They offered and provided everything you look for in a company for employment long term. Business was good and work was great.

Cons

The cons aren't really at the fault of CDI. Lack of work has taken the company from one of the best company's to work for, in the gulf, to a slow death. Major lay off's, pay cut's across the board, low end benefits, loss of all incentive programs, time and schedule's cut. Basically everything a company trying to survive results too. The first 4 years at CDI was without a doubt, best job I've ever had. And precisely why I stuck it out with them for 3 more years, hoping things would turn around.

Advice to Management

Wouldn't even think of advising, I think CDI, did what every company does to try and stay afloat. Also if it were to all turn around tomorrow, I would hesitate to go straight back.

10. I have worked my way up the ladder and plan to move to another company and continue up the ladder.

Current Employee - Leadman in Port Arthur, TX
    Current Employee - Leadman in Port Arthur, TX

I have been working at Cal Dive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They gave fairly descent raises to me, but they pay well under what other companies pay. They gave me a chance with no experience, felon and no HS diploma/GED.

Cons

Every Winter you get laid off if you are not up on the position ladder. They are now going out of business and I have been notified of permanent layoff.

11. The best job I've ever had the pleasure of doing.

Former Employee - Saturation Diver in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Saturation Diver in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Cal Dive full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cal Dive have an impeccable safety record. They pay well. The best health ins. plan. Really good training for your certs.

Cons

Getting enough work to pay your bills can be troublesome but the whole dive industry has suffered from the BP oil spill. Benefits are good. time off is better than any other kind of work you can find.

Advice to Management

none

RSS Feed </> Embed