Cal Net Technology Group Reviews

Brian Kreiner

1. Sr. Project Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cal Net is an ever changing environment, every assignment is different and gives a rewarding challange. I'm glad not to be working in a static technology environment.

Cons

I have no Cons. All people are different as well as companies. Eventually you'll find a good fit.

Keep up the good work!

Slimy company

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well this use to be a good company but in the past few years its gone totally down hill. The favorable reviews on here are totally bogus. I've asked the people in these positions who supposedly wrote the reviews and they didn't write them. It's a small company to it's not hard to find out. Plus in reading them it's obvious they were write by the same person, all about the same time and to make the company look better than it really is. There is one other honest review and it was not 5 stars. Believe that one. I really couldn't think of any Pros other than we do get paid and we have beer in the kitchen.

Cons

Slimy sales force will promise anything to get the sale. It is then up to us to make everything work and deal with the client when they get upset. We are told to tell the client that it is in the contract they signed. All problems are blamed on the engineer who is promptly replaced and then the cycle repeats. Management takes no responsibility and is only concerned with the next company they can rip off. We are told to offer solutions that cost more, are not the best and make calnet the most money. We are told to push products that have the largest margin and say they are better products. We are then paid pennies for commissions. We are told to keep the client happy and in many cases we have to work for free, meaning calnet doesn't pay us, to do so. Everything is rigged to screw the employee so management can make the most money. Working non-billable hours is a requirement of the job. Turn over is very high except for the lifers who have found their way into managment. Un-taxed bonuses are also given out to the most popular employees on a monthly basis. This is suppose to boost moral and say you to could make extra money if you only work harder. These awards are otherwise useless. The lifers have them strung around their offices in some morbid contest.

Take some managment classes. Grow a spine and take responsibility for your actions. When you tell your employees to do something and they do it don't blame them for the results.
    Pay your employees what they are worth. Do real training instead of the bogus in-house stuff that is useless. Be honest to you clients. Stop forcing employees to work for free just to keep their jobs.

Mondays are awesome!

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really professional, but isn't completely buttoned down. You can talk about the latest issues and get solutions for them then switch back to talking about sports, hobbies, life. A collection of very warm thoughtful people that move about the office and it's not at all uncommon to hear laughter through the offices. Everyone is in it for the clients and I love it. Good leadership with an open door policy whom are very easily approached with issues. I can depend on them to hear me out and work out a solution to my problem. Great perks for achieving goals and monthly meetings that take the time to give thanks to those who did something excellent for our clients and to each other. It's very collaborative with people more than willing to give assistance to anyone who needs it.

Cons

Training was tough for me. There are a lot of clients that we handle and keeping track of them and their various set ups can be daunting, but time cures this. As long as you're flexible and adaptable you will be fine.

Don't stop being great.

Great place - Great executives - Nice co-workers to work with

Current Employee - Management in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I just submitted another review but it didn't go through, so here is my abbreviated version in case my previous review gets posted. This is a great place to work. The size of the company and the entrepreneurial attitude of the executives are the keys to the success of Cal Net being one of the largest IT consulting companies in Southern California. I came from a much smaller MSP and the difference between Cal Net and this smaller player is night and day.

The environment here is very easy going and enjoyable. There are no roadblocks, the executives simply expect you to perform without putting up unnecessary obstacles like many other employers put up. It's a very positive and rewarding environment. The vendors and partners respect Cal Net due to the size of the company and gold level partnerships. My biggest complaint with the previous company was lack of a budget for my department. The exact opposite is true with Cal Net. They invest in the company and the employees for growth and maximum efficiency.

Cons

The biggest con may be for someone who lives far away from the 118 Freeway and Topanga. Map the location, if you are living far away and aren't a remote engineer, then you need to judge the distance and make that determination. However, you may find you are traveling against traffic and the longer commute may be a better route. I choose to avoid the 405 freeway like the plague, so the commute works well for me.

Keep doing what you are doing. Be friendly to your employees, allow the environment to remain exactly the same, open door, open conversations, positive and fun. Keep allowing the employees to do what they know how to do so they can continue to achieve goals and help the company grow and be the best it can be. I have been in many environments where the executives are mean, controlling, anal, and this has a direct impact on the happiness and productivity of the employees. Cal Net has a very positive and enjoyable environment and the executives have a direct impact on this along with the HR manager and recruiter (keep treating your employees well and they will perform well for you).

Lack of growth, slimy Sales team

Former Employee - Senior Project Consultant in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Consultant in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good entry-level place to work to gain lower-level consulting experience, easy place to work (low technical skill required) for more seasoned engineers.

Cons

No real company growth or direction, Sales management team is horrific (promising things and expecting the Delivery team to "find a way"). The pay is sub-par for most of the industry, with escalating responsibilities and no ability to actually be responsible (but accept all the blame). Many in senior management are more concerned with popularity contests than job competency (poor employees sometimes last years). Clinging to an outdated model (small business on-site consulting) that's in decline.

Develop a long-term plan (e.g. 3 years) for growth, increase accountability where it is deserved. Stop ignoring all checks & balances in order to get the quick sale. Consider paying more competitive wages and bonuses for seasoned professionals.

Cal Net Technology Group Response

Jul 1, 2014Human Resources Manager

We are always open to constructive feedback from clients, partners, employees, and even as this is the case, former employees. Our aim is to be an Employer-of-Choice and we are constantly reviewing ... More

Cal Net realizes that its product is its people, and therefore employees are taken care of.

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time

Pros

Cal Net has a solid management team that provides good direction for the company. The company is growing and has been very successful and in turn provides opportunity for its employees to grow and advance within the company.

Cons

Since the majority of the employees work out in the field, there can be a disconnect and a feeling that the field engineers are on their own.

Keep doing what you are doing.

I LOVE Mondays!

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time

Pros

I have never felt more fulfilled in my professional life than now. The culture is unbelievably collaborative, it does great job of recognition/rewards for a job well done, and everyone is treated as a valued team member. The Company has been named “Best Places to Work” several times and there are many reasons for it. I hope to work here for a long, long time.

Cons

This place ROCKS! Honestly, there is nothing I don’t like about this place and it’s people. I LOVE Mondays!

Keep all your staff engaged and informed – it’s helped you build what you have. Keep finding ways to keep work FUN.

Cal Net provides autonomy, mastery and purpose.

Current Employee - Technology Manager in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Cal Net spends a lot of time in selecting and investing in "A Players". Not only is there great scrutiny through the interviewing process to ensure a good fit for both the candidate and the company; throughout ones tenure, Cal Net invests in the ongoing training, provides adequate support from other team members.

- Teamwork and collaboration is a big part in this company culture.

- The Leadership has done an effective job in providing direction, with a clear vision of growth.

- The leadership team has an open ear to continual improvement and bottom-up strategic suggestions.

- Because the company has many seasoned experts and A Players, autonomy is granted with effective QA processes in place to ensure overall quality of product and service delivery.

- Cal Net always recognizes and rewards staff members who go above and beyond.

**A Great Company Consists of Talented & Motivated Staff with Effective Leadership - Cal Net Has Both**

Cons

Being an LA-based company, commuting and traffic can be tough for some.

Awesome staff and management!

Current Employee - Technology Manager in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cal Net has built an awesome culture revolved around teamwork, even with half of the staff being in the field! Each person has has a skill set that allows everyone to benefit from
    especially the client. This is not your typical geek stop. Great personalities along with business and technical experience will be found here.

Cons

Although the required trainings may be a bit lengthy, it is definitely worth it as you get to keep up with new technologies, solutions, and you might just get certified with some of them.

Growing pains are tough. But keep doing what your doing to reinforce the new changes going on!

Network and consultants will find Cal Net a great place to work.

Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cal Net Technology Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Exciting work, great peers, excellent management team and new adventures make Cal Net a fun and great place to work.

Cons

Cal Net is not 100% technical, people and business skills are needed.

Keep up the great work.