CalFirst

Patrick E. Paddon

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGood Hourly Pay. One week of trailing. Great co-workers. The company continued to change their client focus, etc.

ConsAt the time, you worked 36 hours per week until you made a deal of $400K. By doing so, they don't have pay any form of benefits. I hoped they have changed this since I worked there. They are a ultraconservative lender, which can make it very difficult to get loans approved.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you send enough one-on-one time with each member to your team to improve their efficiency and success.

Strange Company, stranger management.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsVery profitable company but it is very strange why. If you like sitting in a cube and calling on companies who have already said no to 10 other sales calls that day then this is the job for you. If you like telemarketing this is the job for you. If you enjoy working for passive aggressive back stabbers this is the company for you. If you don't need more that a day of training before being handed a phone and told to call companies this is the job for you.

ConsRevolving door of account executives and recruiters. Since I have been here I have seen at least 10 account executives, 1 district manager and 5 recruiters get fired. Management for this company is strange and back stabbing. Everyone is afraid of one hated vp who has upper management fooled. that person is the cause of all of the fear and mistrust in this company. The owners have to review every interview before it is scheduled. The dm's and vp's hate the interviews that are scheduled but are afraid to tell the owners. So they blame it on the recruiters. one vp only hires waitress's and friends of hid team. One senior vp has a good relationship with his team and is liked respected and the other is feared, hated and mistrusted. The owners are weird. They do not smile or say hello and they will walk right pass you like you don't exist. If you are smart you will stay far, far away from this company! Most of the people on my team is looking for another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwners need to see why they are firing most people on one svp's team and almost none on the other svp's team. Owners smile and speak to your employees.

Great company with very decent pay structure

Account Executive (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsVery fair with salary & benefits. Lots of people have been with the company over 10 years. Friendly and accessible management. Great AE team, Great quality of life-40 hour weeks, no weekends

ConsLong sales cycle for AE but they do tell you that before being hired

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. But give more training

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worse job ever... and I've had a few

Account Executive (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsBest reasons...ummm... if you need a job for a couple/few months...want entry level 'experience' for a few months...

ConsJust about everything...never in my 37 yrs ( i worked there when I was in my late 20's) have i dreaded waking up and going to a job worse than my 3 months here... I didn't even wait to get laid off - i just had to leave... micro managment to the max...needed to have 120+ or 3+ hours talk time per day or you are 'counseled' - they posted each workers daily output when you walked in the next day and highlighted you if you 'were not up to par' ...cold calling to the max to high level executives who already rec'd the same calls over and over and over again... 'IF' you have a potential deal the criteria is so high to actually land it - they are a very conservative lender...one buddy who lasted longer than me had a deal he worked 8 months on...5 days before funding, he was 'let go' --this place sucks - revolving door of employees, feeling worthless every day...i wouldn't recommend this place to anyone (i left in 2005 - last yr of 2010 was the furthest back avail for review form - doubt anything changed )

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue

sales associate

Account Executive (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat co workers, pay is ok. Good stepping stone to get a real job.

ConsManagement is horrible. They train you for one week, and expect you to know everything. Lots of variables come into play when working a deal that you can't control. Management uses fear tactics to get results. Hire new sales associate at higher pay..brings down company morale.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain your associates instead of blaming them for everything that goes wrong. Additionally, promote from within instead of hiring new sales associates with better pay.(everyone talks about how much they get paid there, you are not fooling anyone.)

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsDecent Base Salary, work with some cool people.

ConsMicromanaged. Long, long Sales cycle, no training really. high turnover

Advice to Senior Managementloosen up a bit!

this is one strange place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

Prospay. generally nice co-workers.

Consreally strange owners, cheap - bring your own cup, fork and spoon and coffee/tea. no stationary provided. Mainly older folks. Only few younger people.

Advice to Senior Managementmore professionalism would not hurt. dont have your feet up on your desk during the meeting. Put a bit more thought when you are hiring someone or at least know what you are looking for in a hire before you get someone on board. Letting people go for no valid reason is a horrible practice. Good companies and good management do not do that. And for GOd's sake buy those employees some coffee machine and provide cups and utensils.

Rewarding sales experience with invested time

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsLearned about the financial side of most industries in the U.S.
    Variety of sales tactics which will be useful in personal & professional life
    Fine tuned speaking skills with C-Suite executives at various companies
    Efforts rewarded with properly structured commission checks

ConsLong yet rewarding sales cycle
    Cold calling clients to re-establish business
    Necessity to have a high learning curve to be truly successful

Advice to Senior ManagementMore quarterly / annual incentives / prizes

Great place to work

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsI worked here for 13 years and had a great experience. This is a sales job and you make your own career. They provide the tools you need to grow in your position and provide alot of opportunity to make great money

ConsIn any sales job the con always comes when you don't make your numbers. You will always find people in sales positions collecting a salary instead of trying to grow their book of business. This job isn't exciting unless you put the work in and bring in deals.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only advice would be to get more input from employees relating to comp plan changes and sales contests.

Prepare to cry yourself to sleep every night if you work here

Account Executive (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

Pros-You get off early
    -Coworkers are great
    -hmmm. Did I mention that the coworkers are great?

Cons-I'd like to start by saying that you can literally feel yourself getting dumber every second you work there
    -Telemarketing
    -Underpaid
    -Mindless work
    -No future
    -You aren't building any skills
    -Not challenging
    -All of your friends will be fired
    -No structure
    -Terrible culture
    -Managers don't care about you
    -You are most likely smarter than your manager
    -Find a lead and then you have to tell your manager, who will tell their manager, who will tell the CEO in order to get a response

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is such a poorly run company. How about you train your employees properly and train them in what they need. How about you learn your craft so you can teach your employees. Anyone who is a manager their needs to count your blessings because we all know you are really completely worthless and you are stealing the Pat's money. You better hope you don't get let go because you for sure have no skills that are applicable to the real corporate world.

Worked for CalFirst? Contribute to the Community!