CalFirst

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at CalFirst part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Hourly Pay. One week of trailing. Great co-workers. The company continued to change their client focus, etc.

Cons

At the time, you worked 36 hours per week until you made a deal of $400K. By doing so, they don't have pay any form of benefits. I hoped they have changed this since I worked there. They are a ultraconservative lender, which can make it very difficult to get loans approved.

Make sure you send enough one-on-one time with each member to your team to improve their efficiency and success.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Irvine, CA

I worked at CalFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

I would only say the coworkers. Everything else about the company is a Con. I have never seen such a pathetic company.

Cons

Cold call businesses around the country who have never heard of CalFirst.

Micromanagement to the fullest extent.

The managers have a "do as I say, not as I do" mentality.

Have to wear ties. We work in a call center!

Don't treat the employees like 6 year olds. You don't need to read every email we send. Be friendly to everyone, not just the top 3 sale producers.

Strange Company, stranger management.

I have been working at CalFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very profitable company but it is very strange why. If you like sitting in a cube and calling on companies who have already said no to 10 other sales calls that day then this is the job for you. If you like telemarketing this is the job for you. If you enjoy working for passive aggressive back stabbers this is the company for you. If you don't need more that a day of training before being handed a phone and told to call companies this is the job for you.

Cons

Revolving door of account executives and recruiters. Since I have been here I have seen at least 10 account executives, 1 district manager and 5 recruiters get fired. Management for this company is strange and back stabbing. Everyone is afraid of one hated vp who has upper management fooled. that person is the cause of all of the fear and mistrust in this company. The owners have to review every interview before it is scheduled. The dm's and vp's hate the interviews that are scheduled but are afraid to tell the owners. So they blame it on the recruiters. one vp only hires waitress's and friends of hid team. One senior vp has a good relationship with his team and is liked respected and the other is feared, hated and mistrusted. The owners are weird. They do not smile or say hello and they will walk right pass you like you don't exist. If you are smart you will stay far, far away from this company! Most of the people on my team is looking for another job.

Owners need to see why they are firing most people on one svp's team and almost none on the other svp's team. Owners smile and speak to your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with very decent pay structure

I have been working at CalFirst full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very fair with salary & benefits. Lots of people have been with the company over 10 years. Friendly and accessible management. Great AE team, Great quality of life-40 hour weeks, no weekends

Cons

Long sales cycle for AE but they do tell you that before being hired

Keep up the good work. But give more training

Worse job ever... and I've had a few

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Irvine, CA

I worked at CalFirst full-time for less than a year

Pros

Best reasons...ummm... if you need a job for a couple/few months...want entry level 'experience' for a few months...

Cons

Just about everything...never in my 37 yrs ( i worked there when I was in my late 20's) have i dreaded waking up and going to a job worse than my 3 months here... I didn't even wait to get laid off - i just had to leave... micro managment to the max...needed to have 120+ or 3+ hours talk time per day or you are 'counseled' - they posted each workers daily output when you walked in the next day and highlighted you if you 'were not up to par' ...cold calling to the max to high level executives who already rec'd the same calls over and over and over again... 'IF' you have a potential deal the criteria is so high to actually land it - they are a very conservative lender...one buddy who lasted longer than me had a deal he worked 8 months on...5 days before funding, he was 'let go' --this place sucks - revolving door of employees, feeling worthless every day...i wouldn't recommend this place to anyone (i left in 2005 - last yr of 2010 was the furthest back avail for review form - doubt anything changed )

Get a clue

sales associate

I have been working at CalFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co workers, pay is ok. Good stepping stone to get a real job.

Cons

Management is horrible. They train you for one week, and expect you to know everything. Lots of variables come into play when working a deal that you can't control. Management uses fear tactics to get results. Hire new sales associate at higher pay..brings down company morale.

train your associates instead of blaming them for everything that goes wrong. Additionally, promote from within instead of hiring new sales associates with better pay.(everyone talks about how much they get paid there, you are not fooling anyone.)

Account Executive

I have been working at CalFirst full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent Base Salary, work with some cool people.

Cons

Micromanaged. Long, long Sales cycle, no training really. high turnover

loosen up a bit!

this is one strange place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at CalFirst full-time for less than a year

Pros

pay. generally nice co-workers.

Cons

really strange owners, cheap - bring your own cup, fork and spoon and coffee/tea. no stationary provided. Mainly older folks. Only few younger people.

more professionalism would not hurt. dont have your feet up on your desk during the meeting. Put a bit more thought when you are hiring someone or at least know what you are looking for in a hire before you get someone on board. Letting people go for no valid reason is a horrible practice. Good companies and good management do not do that. And for GOd's sake buy those employees some coffee machine and provide cups and utensils.

Rewarding sales experience with invested time

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at CalFirst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learned about the financial side of most industries in the U.S.
    Variety of sales tactics which will be useful in personal & professional life
    Fine tuned speaking skills with C-Suite executives at various companies
    Efforts rewarded with properly structured commission checks

Cons

Long yet rewarding sales cycle
    Cold calling clients to re-establish business
    Necessity to have a high learning curve to be truly successful

More quarterly / annual incentives / prizes

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at CalFirst full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked here for 13 years and had a great experience. This is a sales job and you make your own career. They provide the tools you need to grow in your position and provide alot of opportunity to make great money

Cons

In any sales job the con always comes when you don't make your numbers. You will always find people in sales positions collecting a salary instead of trying to grow their book of business. This job isn't exciting unless you put the work in and bring in deals.

My only advice would be to get more input from employees relating to comp plan changes and sales contests.

Worked for CalFirst? Contribute to the Community!