CalPortland

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Allen Hamblen

Very friendly, knowledgeable and comfortable environment.

ProsThe company and its personnel are very accommodating and immediately make you feel wanted and useful.

ConsI have no cons at this point in time.

Employees Treated Like Dime A Dozen - Safety not priority-No work life balance

Mixer Driver (Current Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsGood Health Insurance Covers Family for reasonable cost.

ConsDrivers never know schedule, forced to come in at night with little notice. Safety of drivers and public put at risk because of this practice. Hours are consistently cut while management hires more employes.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees have no value. An decade with company and no sick time offered. No training offered for advancement.

Terrible place to work

Manager (Former Employee)
    Glendora, CA

ProsThe only pro I can find is the fact that I learned a lot here. I learned how NOT to manage staff.

ConsThere is a lot of nepotism, no recognition for your work, the company teeters on financial ruin and never can afford to upgrade machinery or hire effective staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe old management, including the President need to be booted to the curb. The entire organization would benefit from a change in regime. The company has lost a good number of quality people over the years. Those who are still there are only hanging on until something better comes along.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dispatch and 43rd ave as forgot calportland Mission,

Ready Mix Driver (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood pay and Benny's

ConsService man ,management. Dispatch, and batch all to have seem to forgot calportland mission, so much favoritism and suspension given with out warning or write up ,good driver seek new employment ,wash out drivers and save load for some drivers,,make loads late and contractor upset,,service man on the job site will call you names and be little you in front of others,manager spend more time look for you doing something wrong,and never says thanks or great job,dispatch will not answer you on the radio 60% of the time!but if the need you you better answer ,

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back and read the mission statement by our C.E.O. Allen Hamblem,,fix the name calling and favoritism .don,t send drivers home 6 hours and make the next driver work 12 or 14 hours,,

Stable company with good benefits.

ProsStability, competitive salaries, good focus on safety, environment. Industry will always be around with, as construction will never completely stop.

ConsDemanding work on all levels; lack of good IT support and systems is very frustrating. Cuts to staff have not been reinstated with growth, putting a lot of burden on existing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStronger management is needed in IT and administrative departments.

A good place to work.

Technical Services Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood for balancing work and life. High family values.

ConsNot competitive for salary or benefits for the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people, let them know they are doing well.

CalPortland is an ok place to work

ProsGood co-workers, most are very friendly people.

ConsCompany morale down and employees do not feel appreciated. This use to be a family-oriented atmosphere, but no longer. Pay as compared to industry or field is low. The changes of benefits inadversely affected the take home pay of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the morale of your employees.

I would not recommend working for this company to anyone I care about, family or friends

ProsThe best part of my job are my co-workers.

ConsManagement does care or support employees. I have been insulted on more than one occasion by my immediate supervisor. There is very little room for growth. The company has cut benefits and has not given raises in 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should pay closer attention to their management staff and how they treat employees. Happy employees are more productive and make less mistakes. Happy employees want to succeed. Management should partake in management training.

ok to work when there is work

Driver, Truck (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

Prosmoney good, trucks so-so, plant junk,

Conssome co-workers are back stabbers, and mngt more or less sucks

Advice to Senior Managementremember your roots, i.e. where you began in the company, talk and listen to your people, spread the hours uot instead of giving all to a few

Not great!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Glendora, CA

ProsLocation ~ provide breakfast every friday.
    union work
    work independently

Conssupervisors not knowledgeble. Have to fish for information. They let other workers just not work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of who you hire and mentor them.

Worked for CalPortland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CalPortland reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CalPortland CEO Allen Hamblen. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by CalPortland employees.