CalPortland Reviews

2.5
Allen Hamblen

1. Good place to work

I have been working at CalPortland

Pros

Lots of freedom and opportunity for advancement with a college degree.

Cons

Can be long hours, on call at times.

Advice to Management

More competitive salaries please!

2. Good Place to start off

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at CalPortland

Pros

This company has great morals and values and treat most of their employees like family if not all. It is a great place for training and learning at the plants and in the office.

Cons

Do not compensate a lot. The benefits need a lot of work. It would be nice if they helped pay for Masters.

Overall good place

Former Employee - Finance in Glendora, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in Glendora, CA

I worked at CalPortland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is big enough to provide comfortable benefits and pay packages, but small enough to give you the opportunity to face time with executive management. If you are smart and work hard, you'll find that management will promote you and will be receptive to your ideas. As far as the comments regarding the CEO on earlier posts are concerned, I'd have to disagree. The day I started the CEO knew my name, and I started as a JR staff member. When I was leaving, he took the time to talk to me about why and shared his thoughts and insight on my career path (and I was not a Glacier employee). I've never heard him yell at anyone, not even in our quarterly review meetings. So all in all, it's a good place to work and you'll find that most people that work at CalPortland are very nice and helpful.

Cons

The company could use more incentive based programs

5. Laborer

I have been working at CalPortland

Pros

Not bad wages, a lot of over time

Cons

Need to improve benefits and other compensation

Not an employee oriented environment.

Current Employee - Manager in Glendora, CA

I have been working at CalPortland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other than actually having a job and receiving a paycheck, I don't have anything else positive to say.

Cons

Most of these reviews are right on target. The culture here is terrible.

There are two types of employees working here; those who suck up and are the "favorites" and those of us who are looked upon as outsiders and malcontents. All I want to do is my job and do it right but I am seen as a malcontent because I offer recommendations for doing the job better or in a more updated way. There is no support for doing things correctly. Nearly all groups in the corporate office are ineffective and don’t communicate with each other. They are stuck in their ways and can’t seem to get away from that “this is the way we’ve always done it” mentality. The company management urges everyone to do their jobs properly, to be better, to work together, but then doesn’t foster an environment of cooperation and cross functional collaboration. Everything is a silo and Allen Hamblen, the current CEO has his head in the sand. He doesn’t even look at you if you pass him in the hall. His wife is as sweet as can be, but Allen is rude and hateful. Allen will curse you out in front of others, which demonstrates his lack of professionalism. I was once told that I wasn’t doing my job properly because I didn’t go over my bosses head to complain about him. Who cuts their bosses throat and expects to survive? I have two kids and a mortgage, I have no choice but to play along and try to deal with this pit of snakes.

CalPortland corporate in Glendora is a revolving door. I’ve had three bosses in 2 years. No one stays there long term. Even temporary employees without any other means don’t stay for very long. The attitude from corporate towards the people in the field is dismal. The plant people are not appreciated for their hard work. They are seen as “stupid monkeys” who will do anything for a dollar. There is literally no respect for anyone at this company.

If you are flat broke, out of work and need a job, then this place may be OK as an interim stepping stone while you look for something else, but if you are looking for a long-term career where you enjoy working, where loyalty engendered and rewarded, this isn’t the place. If you have any other opportunities, take pursue those instead of accepting work at CalPortland.

Advice to Management

Management won't listen. There is no use in trying to communicate anything to them. The managers that do listen and try hard are eliminated or eventually leave. The higher ups only really care about themselves.

HR and Area Managers leaves little to be desired, they are liars to the end!

Current Employee - Cement and Aggregates in Glendora, CA
    Current Employee - Cement and Aggregates in Glendora, CA

I have been working at CalPortland

Pros

from a scale of 1 to 10- 10 being the best. Calportland is a negative-17 on a good day

Cons

Watch out for the Management, they are liars to the end. Absolutely ZERO Honestly and integrity

Advice to Management

Parent Company needs to clean haus starting with Corporate Human Resources.

Corporate is really a mess

I have been working at CalPortland

Pros

Some good co-workers, as with any place there are some really good people.

Cons

Micro managed to the point where you can't get your work done. Corporate mentality of juniorhigj school. You either belong to a clique or you don't survive. Management is haphazard and upper management has no vision. Basically you are treated like a slave who is disposable at a minutes notice. Middle management who try to make reasonable efforts to change the status quo are seen as troublemakers. Old fashioned, outdated and lacking in any sense of reasonably modern management styles. Human resources fosters a backstabbing mentality by encouraging gossip and infighting. A terrible place to work with little possibility of advancement unless you are one of the chosen "golden children" from Washington.

Advice to Management

The Japanese owners need to clean house and terminate the current president and all his croneys. Until a major change in management occurs nothing will change.

9. Hard Working, Fast Paced

Former Employee - Accounting and Finance in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Accounting and Finance in Seattle, WA

I worked at CalPortland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CEO is very honest and up front, most Managers are okay, some very good and a few are really bad. Was a decent place to work, and the benefits are very good.

Cons

Distant Manager in my case who was not very bright, and not open to communication. The senior management group was decent, the CEO is super, but some others not so great.

Advice to Management

Listen to the line supervisors more, and listen to the manual employees, drivers, yard people.

Employees Treated Like Dime A Dozen - Safety not priority-No work life balance

Current Employee - Mixer Driver in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Mixer Driver in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at CalPortland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Health Insurance Covers Family for reasonable cost.

Cons

Drivers never know schedule, forced to come in at night with little notice. Safety of drivers and public put at risk because of this practice. Hours are consistently cut while management hires more employes.

Advice to Management

Employees have no value. An decade with company and no sick time offered. No training offered for advancement.

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Manager in Glendora, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Glendora, CA

I worked at CalPortland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro I can find is the fact that I learned a lot here. I learned how NOT to manage staff.

Cons

There is a lot of nepotism, no recognition for your work, the company teeters on financial ruin and never can afford to upgrade machinery or hire effective staff.

Advice to Management

The old management, including the President need to be booted to the curb. The entire organization would benefit from a change in regime. The company has lost a good number of quality people over the years. Those who are still there are only hanging on until something better comes along.

RSS Feed </> Embed