Calamos Asset Management Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Calamos Asset Management Chairman, CEO, and Co-Chief Investment Officer John P. Calamos Sr.
John P. Calamos Sr.

1. Good company.

I have been working at Calamos Asset Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly, work/life balance is great

Cons

location is okay, very tame emvironment

2. Could be better

Pros

There are some good employees over there.

Cons

Management is unorganized and not well run.

3. Client Service Internt

Pros

nice people that wanted you to succeed, seems like good pay.

Cons

boring. bad intern program. not enough work. most people dont seem thrilled to be there.

5. Confidential

Pros

Free lunch and some friendly people.

Cons

Very structured and stuffy and relentless procedures and cross checking.

6. Great people to work with

Pros

Great people. Free Lunch. Relaxed environment

Cons

Job security is not there for IT people

Advice to Management

Have a good vision.

7. Fake Buy side this place is a flippin joke full of jokers

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Naperville, IL

I worked at Calamos Asset Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, really easy work as this place is run by fools and jokers.

Cons

Management sucks and pay and staff are awful. If they are not closed in a year I would be suprised. Just look at how many jobs they post revolving door of fools. Most likely out of business very soon. Run by founders son, always a leads to failure.

Advice to Management

close it down Calamos is awful and most of the employees hate management and working at this junk hole.

Okay but glad I'm gone

Former Employee - Sales in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Naperville, IL

I worked at Calamos Asset Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay when I was there between 2004-2009. Nice facilities, Free Lunch. Its a good story to tell if you sell the funds. Convertible Bonds expertise is very well known.

Cons

John Calamos Sr has no vision for Calamos Investments looking out 10 to 20 years. No appreciation for Sales Department- John Calamos always considered the sales department a necessary evil and really lets you feel it. A lot of existing and tenured employees who are earning a lot of money but add minimal value exist over there. Sr. hires a lot of Managers than fires them after giving them little or no latitude. Executive Leaders can't handle the micro management and abuse from the boss. It's always been a revolving door of Senior Leaders on 2020 Calamos Court. I've heard on many occasions that he can manage money but can't manage people. Recruiter once told me "Congrats on leaving the John and Nick show". Nick is gone now who was the brains of the organization. They seem to be stuck at the same asset level for the last 8 years simply because investment performance has been mediocre. Brokers who sell the funds don't have the same respect that was there 10 years ago.

Advice to Management

Give some latitude to Senior Managers. Give your sales folks another market update and outlook to share. They've been singing the same song since 2004.

9. very good

I have been working at Calamos Asset Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits are really very good

Cons

no cons at all from my point of view

Advice to Management

management is one of the best

10. Good place to work, management lacks direction

Current Employee - Senior Architect in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Architect in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Calamos Asset Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work environment, nice building close to the highway.

Cons

opportunities to work on interesting projects.

Advice to Management

clean house at the management level.

Terrible Culture! (& Full of Nepotism)

I worked at Calamos Asset Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pros are as others have said: lunch and short work days. In my opinion, it takes a lot more than a decent lunch and flexible hours to make me think a company has their act together.

Cons

I have been gone for a few years now, and the farther I get away from the experience, the more terrible I feel for the poor people who are still stuck there. Get out! Most people work there for about a year thinking it's great because of the nice building, great lunch, "summer hours," etc... then reality sets in and everyone runs for the hills. There is a huge "big brother" feeling in the building. Someone in HR once told me that they didn't want to chat w/ me about work while in the building as their understanding was that the building was "bugged". So bugged ceilings, IT tracking emails, and phone calls being listened in on........ not that there is anything to hide, but what kind of culture does that promote? And regardless of whether or not it's all true-- that's the environment that has been created. Bravo! They also don't pay well. After two years at the company, I got the tiniest little baby increase (after scoring a 4.4/5.0 on my review). Sad! Shortly after that, I left there, joined a legitimate company, moved up drastically in job title and increased my pay by over $35,000/yr. :) And best of all- I enjoy going to work now!

Advice to Management

Improve the culture. You can tell the HR team and some of the family think they are offering this amazing work environment... but everyone is miserable.

RSS Feed </> Embed