Calamos Asset Management

Calamos Asset Management Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Calamos Asset Management Chairman, CEO, and Co-Chief Investment Officer John P. Calamos Sr.

John P. Calamos Sr.

Smart people committed to teaching their associates and growing talent.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people willing to mentor new hires
    Unbelievable office with impressive technology resources
    Entrepreneurial environment that fosters innovation

ConsLocated outside of the city which makes commuting a hassle from downtown

Good corporate structure. Great training program.

Sales (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsThey do a great job of hiring good people, whether they are experienced or not, and provide excellent training. Had some frustrations with the company during my time there, but the farther away I get, the more I see how well put together the organization is.

ConsThis went from a small operation to a large, 450-500 person company within a relatively short period of time so upper mamangement had a hard time not knowing what was going on in each department all of the time. Somewhat of a micromanagement situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnleash your talent a bit more. You hire good people and sometimes hold them back.

Good place to work if you are not an aggressive employee

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsGood work/life balance, hours are flexible, you have time to learn, not a lot of stress, free lunch, fruits, snacks, tea and coffee, pay is ok. They have summer hours program and jeans day every Friday in the summer. They have some discounts for employees and they are thinking of creating a day care.

ConsWork from home is not available and the lunch could have some more healthier options.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very good

Prosbenefits are really very good

Consno cons at all from my point of view

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement is one of the best

Good company to work for. Training could have been longer

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsGreat training program. Helpful superiors. On-site lunch

ConsLong commute (I live in Chicago).

Calamos Investments : Operations

Investment Operations (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsEasy, good working environment, free lunch.

ConsVery political, movement to other areas of the firm are difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide opportunities for growth, more transparency.

Free Lunch...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree lunch, parking, decent benefits, young atmosphere. Good place to start your career, but most people leave after a year or two to go somewhere better.

ConsLow pay that is completely under the market. They will offer to pay if you decide to leave, though! Poor culture and it seems like lots of people are scared of upper management, which you can imagine prevents positive change.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish the best for the company... just seems like some of the top management involves themselves in areas that are not their expertise. This creates large issues. Unfortunately, everyone knows this will never change.

outsourcing

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsLove my hours, free lunch is great, share in the belief "spirit to serve", decent outsourcing package, good people to work with.

ConsNot many options to transfer out of department due to outsourcing. Posted for other position but hired someone w/ less experience from outside the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDid not receive much appreciation for the work we do when the decision came down to outsourcing the ops department.

headline

Mutual Fund Accountant (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsGood hours and good compensation

ConsPoor management and unfairly treat employees

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to treat employees better

Low pay for the work invested. Better opportunities elsewhere...head into the city.

Junior Analyst (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsFree lunch (literally). Covered parking. Decent benefits. Good support to pursue the CFA (which is very much valued at Calamos).

ConsPay is horrid for the jr analyst position and doesn't get much better as you advance. Not much opportunity to prove yourself for the first few years outside of filing papers, making copies, data entry, etc. Wish I had those years back (huge opportunity cost in terms of knowledge not gained as a result of not doing research and very poor pay for the amount of time/work invested. You work a LOT...especially on meaningless tasks...and get paid very little). There are definitely better opportunities out there (which I've discovered). Turnover is high and sr turnover appears to have gotten worse since I've left. It doesn't look like anything has improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication (and review times). My reviews became so late that I forgot my anniversary date.

Worked for Calamos Asset Management? Contribute to the Community!