Calamos Asset Management

Calamos Asset Management Reviews

Updated June 13, 2014
Updated June 13, 2014

2.4

Calamos Asset Management Chairman, CEO, and Co-Chief Investment Officer John P. Calamos Sr.
John P. Calamos Sr.

A chop shop

Former Employee - Investments
    Former Employee - Investments

Pros

Free lunch and suburban location. Nice facility.

Cons

Tons and tons of ex Calamos people roaming around. They are completely opportunistic in hiring from the below family level down. Many senior C types have been and gone, corporate counsel, VP of Finance, HR Directors, etc. Very political environment and lots and lots of group think. Best thing I heard before joining was that it was high risk and unstable.

Good place to work if you are not an aggressive employee

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Naperville, IL

Pros

Good work/life balance, hours are flexible, you have time to learn, not a lot of stress, free lunch, fruits, snacks, tea and coffee, pay is ok. They have summer hours program and jeans day every Friday in the summer. They have some discounts for employees and they are thinking of creating a day care.

Cons

Work from home is not available and the lunch could have some more healthier options.

If you have a good boss, it's awesome (until it isn't)

Former Employee - Senior XYZ (III Word Title, Want to BE Anonymous)  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Senior XYZ (III Word Title, Want to BE Anonymous) in Naperville, IL

Pros

Don't believe the other posts (at least not completely). Calamos will aggressively adjust compensation for talented employees. If you are performing well, you'll be taken care of. I added fifty percent to my ample starting salary in about 3 years.

Perks, perks, perks. Lunch, fruits, drinks. Parking. Everyone else has mentioned this.

Cons

There are hard pay ceilings for certain departments. After three years, I basically stopped having compensation adjusted. My VP raved about my work and told me that it never stopped getting better. The problem is that I worked in a role that indirectly contributed to the bottom line, rather than in trading or research.

Stop making your EVPs, SVPs, and VPs (like my old boss) live in fear. They keep quitting for a reason.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

outsourcing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Pros

Love my hours, free lunch is great, share in the belief "spirit to serve", decent outsourcing package, good people to work with.

Cons

Not many options to transfer out of department due to outsourcing. Posted for other position but hired someone w/ less experience from outside the company.

Did not receive much appreciation for the work we do when the decision came down to outsourcing the ops department.

I agree

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Pros

I agree with the others. Good benefits, free lunch, etc. The work is rather easy, so there is not much stress.

Cons

Political. my managers are not very involved with the associates, so there is little communication. Most people feel they are underpaid

Communicate, take time to talk to those you manage and get to know them
    Managers need to give more responsibility to the associates

a place to just stay in neutral

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Naperville, IL

Pros

not a lot pressure to get work done, good work and life balance, good benefits, free lunches, if you aren't an agressive employee its a good place for you

Cons

sr. management doesn't pay much attention to employees, think they are a technology firm when they have 1980's technology, Who the heck uses Foxpro anymore? lots of dinosaurs roaming the aisles

trust your employess, they know more than you think, you grew too fast, and don't get into business your don't know about, i.e. real estate and restaurants

headline

Former Employee - Mutual Fund Accountant  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Mutual Fund Accountant in Naperville, IL

Pros

Good hours and good compensation

Cons

Poor management and unfairly treat employees

Need to treat employees better

Stay Away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Pros

Flexibility with work/life balance. Free lunch each day. Covered parking. Good vacation policy and 401k match/profit sharing. Upscale work environment.

Cons

Very political. Not everyone is treated fairly. Performance reviews are often very late, sometimes up to a year late. Senior management seems afraid of John Calamos. They are not empowered to make decisions.

Stop micro managing your senior management. You pay them a lot of money. Let them do their jobs.

Low pay for the work invested. Better opportunities elsewhere...head into the city.

Former Employee - Junior Analyst  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Junior Analyst in Naperville, IL

Pros

Free lunch (literally). Covered parking. Decent benefits. Good support to pursue the CFA (which is very much valued at Calamos).

Cons

Pay is horrid for the jr analyst position and doesn't get much better as you advance. Not much opportunity to prove yourself for the first few years outside of filing papers, making copies, data entry, etc. Wish I had those years back (huge opportunity cost in terms of knowledge not gained as a result of not doing research and very poor pay for the amount of time/work invested. You work a LOT...especially on meaningless tasks...and get paid very little). There are definitely better opportunities out there (which I've discovered). Turnover is high and sr turnover appears to have gotten worse since I've left. It doesn't look like anything has improved.

Improve communication (and review times). My reviews became so late that I forgot my anniversary date.

Free Lunch...

Pros

Free lunch, parking, decent benefits, young atmosphere. Good place to start your career, but most people leave after a year or two to go somewhere better.

Cons

Low pay that is completely under the market. They will offer to pay if you decide to leave, though! Poor culture and it seems like lots of people are scared of upper management, which you can imagine prevents positive change.

I wish the best for the company... just seems like some of the top management involves themselves in areas that are not their expertise. This creates large issues. Unfortunately, everyone knows this will never change.

Worked for Calamos Asset Management? Contribute to the Community!