Calaway Park

Updated November 5, 2014
2.6

CEO

Rides department

I worked at Calaway Park part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-long shifts
    -discounts
    - great atmosphere
    -school credit
    -employee events
    I had a lot of fun working at calaway and I made some great friends there

Cons

The buses can take a while to get to your stop
    Its a seasonal job, starts in may and ends in October.

A great way to exploit kids, PARENTS BEWARE!

Former Employee - Rides Operator in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Rides Operator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Calaway Park full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people
    Fun environment with coworkers
    Great Employee Events!!!
    (basically the social atmosphere with fellow employees was amazing)

Cons

- Long hours
    - Short breaks
    - Low pay
    - No water for hours (standing in the sun forever)
    - Dehydration and exhaustion
    - Poor management skills, everything was always disorganized.

Stop playing favourites and be more consistent with your behaviour. If you are 'different' (LGBT or an ethnic person) do not expect to get a raise or promotion. You do not fit the 'mold' they are looking for.

Favourites of leadership and management would always get easier rides to work at that have less workload, easier loading, usually working with a partner (another favourite) while other like myself would be stuck at the same busy rides (either by myself or with an incompetent partner). Near the end of the season we were understaffed and we were overworked. Also please fix the maintenance of the rides, we the ride operators get screamed at by the guests and get blamed because you guys fail to up keep the rides.

Your needs weren't ever heard and they just see you as a 'worker'. They would rarely come around to give us water during the summer (when it was 30 degrees and higher) and we weren't allowed to leave our ride to get water. Working in the hot sun while dealing with frustrated guests really took a lot of patience while the leadership just stayed inside their AIR CONDITIONED OFFICE WITH WATER and complain about how they are so busy, when for 80% of the day they would be missing.

Also even if you call in sick once they overreact and get extremely mad at you when they overwork 15 - 17 year olds! You have to stand for hours and you get reprimanded for sitting down ... even if no one is at your ride. Also while there was free employee busing, the busing times were out of sync with the shifts, so you would have to come an hour early to your shift and wait around to work. Also the payroll is based on 15 minutes so they would try to get you to leave early by a few minutes to make you lose pay. (if you check out at 6:59 and your shift ends at 7:00, you would only get paided up until 6:45). Many of the rides had lots of safety hazards that we had to learn to work around (keys would fall out of the power control, rides would break down randomly, restraints and seatbelts would be rusty and outdated).

I feel like the management do not know how to properly run a business and just act accordingly to how they feel. They need to attend workshops and seminars on how to treat their employees with respect and how to run a business ethically and legally. You may think that roaches in the kitchens and mice falling in the water rides would be a lie but for us it was a common thing in a days work.

If you have pride and love yourself, do not work here and try to find a job where you are respected as a human being!

Illegal business practices, as well as rude managers

I have been working at Calaway Park

Pros

You will definitely meet a lot of nice people, who make the jobs a lot easier and faster
    The employee bus (it was free of charge) was really nice to have
    The employee events were fun at times, and it was kinda nice how they always try to encourage teamwork

Cons

Extreme weather conditions. Once it was over 32 degrees celcius and I told my "lead" that I had heat stroke and was going to pass out, she said "you'll survive". Even getting something as simple as a refill of your waterbottle, or a cup of water, (since we're not allowed to leave our stations), is very hard and the "leads" and "captains" made it out to be a very big deal. One time I needed to use the washroom, but the lead was busy, so I had to hold it for 6 hours. Also, when I was hired, I was promised 40 hours a week, but now I am lucky to get 2 days. They simply do not care about their employees and also, legally if you work 8 hours, you are supposed to get 2 breaks. We get one half an hour break.

Be kind to the employees, stop assuming/treating them like they are below you, or incompetent, because they are young workers. Treat them the way you would want to be treated.

apocalypse, please.

Former Employee - Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Calaway Park part-time (less than an year)

Pros

you get to meet a lot of cool people your age and make lots of friends. its quite social and fun to get to hang out with thme

Cons

very little pay, the people are obsessed with the customers they treat the employees like crap and completely forget that we should be treated good too. They are paranoid about stealing and have such high demands for young teens whose job is their first. NO sitting, which is terrible on your legs, must smile, and screw that. bad place to work.

treat your hopeless employees better, dont be paranoid and lay off the hard expectations or else hire fricken professionals. how about 30 year olds? they should fit the requirements.

Underpaid, under respected

Former Employee - Leadership in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Leadership in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Calaway Park part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Some of the employees are fun to work with (keep in mind the majority are between 14 and 17 years old)
    -A couple managers are kind and respectful to all employees
    -Receive 5 free employee tickets each month, great if you have family members or friends who actually want to visit the park
    -Free entrance to park throughout the season
    -Buses provided to some locations in the city

Cons

-Underpaid: average wage is around $10.50 for employees, and raises are VERY VERY rare and even then are only $0.25. Even with this minimal wage, employees have to pay for their uniform ($35 for leadership, $70 all other employees) - for most employees this equates to a day of work!
    -Employees and managers: some employees clearly do not want to be there, don't enjoy the job and don't hide this from anyone making it a miserable environment. The majority of the managers are inexperienced and incompetent, often treating employees in a rude and disrespectful manner which is never appropriate or deserved. The managers need proper education in how to run a business, conduct themselves around employees, and manage their department. Expect a ridiculous amount of passive aggression from the managers.
    -Shifts: despite being promised 35-40 hours/week, I rarely received over 30 hours despite repeatedly asking for more shifts. Many employees only work 2 shifts a week. Calaway is extremely stringent about giving overtime, more shifts, and holiday pay. Several times I had to stay 15 minutes past my shift to help an employee who would otherwise be alone with a huge crowd. However, I did not get paid for this time.
    -Training: Calaway boasts about the amount of training employees receive, but the majority of the training is absolutely ridiculous (an hour trying to build a tower out of pasta noodles and marshmallows? Not exactly useful knowledge) and unnecessary. Sure, employees get paid for this, but it's clearly a boasting point for Calaway rather than practical use of employee and manager time.
    -Clock operates on a 15 minute schedule, i.e. if you arrive at 9:01 for a 9:00 shift, you get docked a full quarter hour. If you arrive at 8:46 for a 9:00 shift, you receive no extra payment or reward. Where you clock-in is far away from the parking lot and the rest of the park, so you're expected to arrive early to every shift but will not get paid for that time.
    -No air conditioning or heating for most positions - this is a huge con in the middle of the summer, as you are not allowed to leave your position. If you want something as simple as a cup of water, you may be waiting upwards of 20 minutes for a lead to bring it to you.

1) The general manager needs to lose the attitude and appreciate how much his employees do for so little compensation. Be kind and respectful with them, it will go a long way.
    2) Review the managers and their qualifications - many of the managers are just not adept to take on that level of responsibility. At the very least, they need to be coached on how to handle a large number of employees and how to teach the employees to do their job. Don't provide useless training then overreact when an employee makes a mistake.
    3) Pay employees for overtime. It's the law.
    4) Streamline training - make it shorter, but worth the managers time. It will be easier for all the kids to concentrate, and you won't have to pay them for useless hours.
    5) Consider changing the 15 minute system to 5 minute - it's more fair.
    6) Do NOT lie!! The number of lies told by HR to get employees is ridiculous. If you promise a certain number of shifts, be true to that; don't promise raises you know will never happen.

Three seasons of service, zero respect

Former Employee - Concessions Worker in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Concessions Worker in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Calaway Park part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I began working at Calaway park in the summer of 2008 consecutive through until October of 2010. I was in my teens at the time and my role allowed to earn extra income over the summers. I developed some close friendships during my course of employment.

Cons

I truly don't even know where to begin, the first thing that comes to mind is bus service. Or rather lack there of, for example if I was scheduled to begin shift at 12:30 my bus would depart the terminal at 9:45 and arrive at the park at 10:15. Almost two hours of unpaid waiting just to begin work. Secondly management at the department level is severely lacking competence. They call their location supervisors "captains" and department managers "leads". The captains were aged in their mid to late teens and would often participate in bullying behaviour as well as favouritism towards their friends. In my first two seasons of employment my scheduling was properly conducted with two consecutive days per week off and allowances made for appointments. Third season rolls around and there is a complete change among the department management. Two managers were shifted to other roles and the new managers brought in went on a power trip. First they split my days off apart, I attempted to address the matter cordially however, it was reiterated to me that they were not required to do so. That may be so legally, however as matter of good staffing practice it is not conducive to a motivated and satisfied workforce. I was repeatedly passed up on promotions despite having exemplary competency reviews and evaluations. Unsafe working conditions included excessive temperatures in locations and a lack of proper ventilation. Staff where not properly trained for safe food handling and storage. Many staff arrived on shift intoxicated and belligerent as well being unable to perform required duties. I was continually harassed do to my sexual orientation by a particular captain and felt that my chances at a promotion where hindered by this fact. Stay the hell away from this place and parents, if your child is working here maybe rethink allowing them work at a business which allows such practices to occur.

Train your department level managers to conduct themselves professionally. Realize you can held liable for discrimination and unsafe work conditions. And from time to time conduct more reviews on management as well as ensure that policy is applied across board fairly. Respect is a key element to any successful business.

Good for a start, but not enough to keep you long term.

Former Employee - Concessions Lead in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Concessions Lead in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Calaway Park part-time

Pros

The people on your level are usually fun to work with. There is a pleasant atmosphere with similar employees and you feel inclusive.

Cons

Ninety percent of the upper management are in their late teens (I was one of them) and are not equipped to handle their positions. True management, of which there are few, are not supportive or available to those acting as park/concession leads/managers.
    When I worked there shifts were ridiculous, and possibly illegal. 14 year olds would work 14 days on, then two days off, due to a lack of staff. Also, occasionally I would work a full 12 hour day if there was no one to cover the evening shift.
    Then there is the bus, which only runs twice in the evening, leaving you waiting after your sift.

There needs to be more accountability towards the staff. Especially since everyone is well under 18 there. They need to be cared after, and given better incentives. My first years wage was $9.00/hr, and that was as a 'lead'. Because there is so much lacking here, most staff don't make it to another season and look for work opportunities elsewhere.

Calaway Park Retail

Former Employee - Retail in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Retail in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Calaway Park full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generally great co-workers with great service, but there are a few employees who don't have respect towards what they do (keep in mind that this is because 90% of the employees are young teenagers). They also provide you with extraordinary training!

Cons

Some employees, as stating in pros and the environment you work in. They have you work out in very cold weather even if they know you will not sell anything, and also have you work in buildings in very hot days with no air conditioning.

Awesome!

Current Employee - Lead in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Lead in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Calaway Park full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in, management was the best and always willing to go out of their way to help me.
    Tons of responsibilities, as a young adult I was expected so much of which was great. Made the work feel meaningful and enjoyable. Loads of Fun!

Cons

Had to work lots of weekends but I knew about this before I got the job.

Keep it up!

Fun & Enthusiastic

Former Employee - Concession in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Concession in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Calaway Park full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment to work in, great for high school full time summer jobs, great hours,

Cons

Outside of calgary so transportation is a little more complicated if you don't drive, but they offer employee busses