Calaway Park

Add Photos

Calaway Park Retail

Retail (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGenerally great co-workers with great service, but there are a few employees who don't have respect towards what they do (keep in mind that this is because 90% of the employees are young teenagers). They also provide you with extraordinary training!

ConsSome employees, as stating in pros and the environment you work in. They have you work out in very cold weather even if they know you will not sell anything, and also have you work in buildings in very hot days with no air conditioning.

Good for a start, but not enough to keep you long term.

Concessions Lead (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe people on your level are usually fun to work with. There is a pleasant atmosphere with similar employees and you feel inclusive.

ConsNinety percent of the upper management are in their late teens (I was one of them) and are not equipped to handle their positions. True management, of which there are few, are not supportive or available to those acting as park/concession leads/managers.
    When I worked there shifts were ridiculous, and possibly illegal. 14 year olds would work 14 days on, then two days off, due to a lack of staff. Also, occasionally I would work a full 12 hour day if there was no one to cover the evening shift.
    Then there is the bus, which only runs twice in the evening, leaving you waiting after your sift.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more accountability towards the staff. Especially since everyone is well under 18 there. They need to be cared after, and given better incentives. My first years wage was $9.00/hr, and that was as a 'lead'. Because there is so much lacking here, most staff don't make it to another season and look for work opportunities elsewhere.

Three seasons of service, zero respect

Concessions Worker (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsI began working at Calaway park in the summer of 2008 consecutive through until October of 2010. I was in my teens at the time and my role allowed to earn extra income over the summers. I developed some close friendships during my course of employment.

ConsI truly don't even know where to begin, the first thing that comes to mind is bus service. Or rather lack there of, for example if I was scheduled to begin shift at 12:30 my bus would depart the terminal at 9:45 and arrive at the park at 10:15. Almost two hours of unpaid waiting just to begin work. Secondly management at the department level is severely lacking competence. They call their location supervisors "captains" and department managers "leads". The captains were aged in their mid to late teens and would often participate in bullying behaviour as well as favouritism towards their friends. In my first two seasons of employment my scheduling was properly conducted with two consecutive days per week off and allowances made for appointments. Third season rolls around and there is a complete change among the department management. Two managers were shifted to other roles and the new managers brought in went on a power trip. First they split my days off apart, I attempted to address the matter cordially however, it was reiterated to me that they were not required to do so. That may be so legally, however as matter of good staffing practice it is not conducive to a motivated and satisfied workforce. I was repeatedly passed up on promotions despite having exemplary competency reviews and evaluations. Unsafe working conditions included excessive temperatures in locations and a lack of proper ventilation. Staff where not properly trained for safe food handling and storage. Many staff arrived on shift intoxicated and belligerent as well being unable to perform required duties. I was continually harassed do to my sexual orientation by a particular captain and felt that my chances at a promotion where hindered by this fact. Stay the hell away from this place and parents, if your child is working here maybe rethink allowing them work at a business which allows such practices to occur.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your department level managers to conduct themselves professionally. Realize you can held liable for discrimination and unsafe work conditions. And from time to time conduct more reviews on management as well as ensure that policy is applied across board fairly. Respect is a key element to any successful business.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome!

Lead (Current Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat environment to work in, management was the best and always willing to go out of their way to help me.
    Tons of responsibilities, as a young adult I was expected so much of which was great. Made the work feel meaningful and enjoyable. Loads of Fun!

ConsHad to work lots of weekends but I knew about this before I got the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Fun & Enthusiastic

Concession (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat environment to work in, great for high school full time summer jobs, great hours,

ConsOutside of calgary so transportation is a little more complicated if you don't drive, but they offer employee busses

it was not organized and your needs were not prioritized

Resturants (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

Prosgood crowd of co workers
    good employee events held after work on some days which often included free food and rides

Consbus schedules was horrible
    often had to wait 1-2 hours before and after shifts because bus times were not in sync with work hours

Advice to Senior Managementfix your bus times !

it was tough work but a fun summer job

Ride Operator (Former Employee)

Pros-good pay
    -friendly managers
    -interacting with other people
    -employee events

Conswork in all weather
    ok recognition for hard work
    bag checks

Worked for Calaway Park? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Calaway Park reviews and ratings. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Calaway Park employees.