Calendar Club Reviews

1. Manager - In-Line GO! Calendars, Games & Toys

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Calendar Club

Pros

3 1/2 month seasonal retail operation. Good product lines and fairly priced. Concept draws quality customers who are fun to be around. Overall a very enjoyable seasonal job. Everything spelled out in their manuals and an excellent support staff available via phone.

Cons

Difficult to complete setup and teardown within the allowed budget. Compensation is on the very low end for what is expected and doing it right. I actually worked an extra 10 to 15 hours per week knowing that I would not be compensated. (Note; this was my decision and was not required by the company) Can't really increase the merchandise of the best selling items for your store - they have a system setup to do so, but something breaks down after you enter the 50 requests - think that it's a human who gets involved & has to APPROVE YOUR REQUESTS. He/she makes their decisions without any onsite information.

Advice to Management

Be honest when telling managers how long it takes for setup and teardown. Trust the judgment of those who are placing orders or trying to increase product on hand amounts. Get rid of the present Bear Promotion, go with something like .... Price Bear $12.99 & FREE with $35.00 Calendar purchase.

2. Room for growth if the timing is right

I have been working at Calendar Club full-time

Pros

Stable growth over the recession

Cons

work life balance is talked about but doesn't really exist

Advice to Management

Follow through on everything you say

3. Seasonal Kiosk Manager

Former Employee - Seasonal Kiosk Manager
    Former Employee - Seasonal Kiosk Manager

I worked at Calendar Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seasonal job, get to hire own staff

Cons

Understaffed, rude and disrespectful upper management, training is not helpful, paychecks often late, underpaid staff for amount of work required

Advice to Management

Provide better training to first time managers, respect seasonal staff

5. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Calendar Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxing and friendly work environment. Discount on store merchandise.

Cons

Poor logistics, poor management. Low pay.

Advice to Management

Give higher compensation to employees, be more organized and plan ahead before stores run out of stock.

6. Horrible, stressful experience with little to no rewards.

I worked at Calendar Club

Pros

There were so many negatives with my time working for (not being my own "boss") Calendar Club, that I can not even think of one positive thing that would make me do it again or to recommend to someone.

Cons

Stress, everything comes out of your own pocket (storage costs, loss of stock, renting the computer and eftpos, renting the shelves that the calendars are stocked on, accidentally loosing a cardboard box and wrapping).
    The management team dictate what you do and how you do, so the advertising of being your own boss is completely wrong. They are RUDE and UNHELPFUL!
    You have to work long hours and it all depends on how much you sell but your percentage of commission is low - again if you had your own store you would buy products at factory price and then resell and get the profit.
    The stock goes completely muddled up and it is up to you to sort through check off hundreds of calendars, and if you don't have time then they charge you at the end for the stock they never sent you!
    A complete and utter waste of time, energy and money.
    This company takes advantage of people who are in need to making some money over the christmas period, or in general.

DO NOT TAKE THIS ON!

Advice to Management

Change the attitude towards store holder. You are your own boss or just an employ who has to be done what they are told when it suits them.
    Commission is too low for the hours and work put in.
    Calendars should come organised and checked in the warehouse.
    Storage should be paid for as well as the rental of the equipment - what a joke you have to rent the shelves that the calendars sit on.
    A greedy company with horrible values towards peoples financial positions and livelihood.

7. Licensee

I worked at Calendar Club

Pros

Enjoyed talking to customers and learning about the different categories of calendars...the state manager was very helpful with setup and during our 6 weeks there but thats where it all ends.

Cons

The budgets set for this particular store were way off target especially considering it was a trial store. Halfway through my 6 weeks I questioned the amount of money versus the hours worked and indicated I was not willing to continue working for an average of $10-11/Hr...It was indicated to me that if I continued for the 6 weeks that CC would subsidise my income as they have a special fund set up for trial stores if they do not perform according to budget.
    Well guess what after my 6 weeks I get a call from the "moron" of a retail manager to say they would not subsidise my income and they were only paying the commission based on sales.
    Even though we exceeded all their KPI's with ad on sales,banking on time and return of all their equipment etc they were not paying me anymore which was a complete turnaround from their earlier statement.....VERY DISSAPOINTED to say the least... I feel I was taken advantage of for a trial store and CC management don't give a toss how many hours you work to run their business.
    I put in 75 to 80 hrs per week not to mention the week at home putting together the stands hiring a truck to take them out to the shopping centre and then again hiring a truck to take them back home to disasemble them and repack them for shipment back to Melbourne ( plus using 5 friends that are required to help on setup night and pulldown night till 11pm both nights not included in the 75-80 hrs worked)
    I had to work all the retail hours myself with some help from my wife but to be able to hire someone to work some hours was not an option when I was only earning $10/hr...no-one would work for that amount.
    I feel I was lied to by management to see the 6 weeks through knowing full well that they were not going to compensate me for the miscalculation in their budgets that supposedly are worked out by some geniuses in their office and by which I made the decision to work the Kiosk....lies lies and lies all designed to con someone into taking on their Kiosk.

Advice to Management

Reconsider your treatment of licensees...be honest with your figures and budgets and if you are trying to build a team that will return next year I suggest you start by employing a new retail manager...the current one has no people skills and his integrity is very questionable.

8. Going downhill from previous years

I worked at Calendar Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Got to know your coworkers well, learned a lot in a short amount of time. It was like a mini family in the store.

Cons

Turn over rate was really high, due to the fact it was seasonal.

Advice to Management

Don't be a jerk.

9. Too much work for one person

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Oakville, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Oakville, ON (Canada)

I worked at Calendar Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When it was slow i was alone so it was nice being able to work in a quiet atmosphere.

Cons

Too much responsibility thrown at me all at once. When the cash went down and the line up was out the door it was just too much.
    Seasonal so we obviously didn't matter at all.

Advice to Management

Have more then one young person working.

10. This was a great seasonal job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ballynacourty, Galway (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ballynacourty, Galway (Ireland)

I have been working at Calendar Club

Pros

This was a great place to work to bring in some extra cash for the Christmas season. The boss was easy to get along with and worked with my schedule when necessary.

Cons

It's too bad that there is a limited season for calendar sales; I would have kept working here if it hadn't been a seasonal position.

Advice to Management

It would be great to have a better system in place for replenishing stock as you go, like a better POS terminal that logs what is sold and automatically reorders. Maybe this is already in place, but it seemed to be a little behind.

11. No growth potential

Former Employee - Affiliate Manager
    Former Employee - Affiliate Manager

I worked at Calendar Club

Pros

Worked remotely from my home

Cons

No potential for growth in the company

Advice to Management

Better communication