Calendar Holdings Reviews

Marc Winkelman

1. Manager

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Calendar Holdings as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I could set my own schedule, work as many hours as I wanted, and hire my own crew. The product was easy to receive and organize, and the customers treated me well. I had an excellent working relationship with the owner of my franchise, and overall had a good experience.

Cons

There is minimal training and not a lot of upward mobility. Raises are few and very small when they do occur. Pay is above minimum, but not as much as starting wage at many other entry-level companies in the area. Meeting sales goals are the primary bar of achievement, but they don't always take into account things like weather, the economy, or that we ran out of the product the customer wanted and they didn't wish to visit one of our other stores. They also offer no benefits beyond store discount.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a system where the goal is primarily satisfying the customers' needs rather than just selling more product. An anonymous review offered to customers (was the sales associate helpful in your shopping experience today? Were they able to answer your questions in a satisfactory manner? Did you feel welcome? Would you come back based on your experience today? etc). Many times my customers would compliment me/volunteer that I get a raise, but there was no way for me to have them forward the sentiment to the proper channels. There was also some product that was not appropriate for young people's eyes that we had several parents comment on, which led to some awkward conversations. Sometimes the excuse, well that's what corporate tells us we have to sell is just not enough. It would have been better to leave that content as special order/online, or at least cover it.

2. Seasonal Call Center

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Calendar Holdings part-time

Pros

Easy calls to take. Customers are nice. Good seasonal job.

Cons

Small call center- unpredictable start and end dates

3. This has been a decent place to start a career and build resume skills, but there is very little room for advancement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Calendar Holdings full-time

Pros

I'm a corporate employee at the home office. This is a laid back company that has fun events from time to time, a generous annual profit sharing bonus and 401k match and a good pto accrual program. There are some opportunities to gain some relevant industry experience if you're in the right position. You can definitely make the most of this place growing your career if you have the right attitude.

Cons

In-season hours (Sept-Jan) can be long and stressful. Salaries are below industry average across the whole company. Most members of the executive management team have been there too long and some of the most senior execs are micro-managers and lack real leadership; big problem is these are the owners and they're not going anywhere. There is almost no room for advancement as the exec mgmt almost exclusively hires from outside and rarely promotes from within the ranks. The company is just utter chaos with poor processes and communication during the fall when they're trying to get 1,000 stores open in less than three months. You definitely need high stress tolerance for this place.

Advice to Management

Consider promoting some of your strong management and non-management level employees first when hiring new positions. These are the people that are getting their hands dirty and know your business best. Growing good people within your organization will make your company stronger. An attitude has developed within the company over the last few years that outside talent will always be considered first for job openings.

5. Worst place to work.

I worked at Calendar Holdings full-time

Pros

Employee discounts and my coworkers were very nice.

Cons

The management is terrible and the HR department treats employees like trash.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more money and treat them with respect instead of like minions.

6. Good company. Solid benefits.

Current Employee - Online Marketing Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Online Marketing Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Calendar Holdings

Pros

Location. Environment. Great benefits. Friendly employees and management.

Cons

Work-life balance is a challenge.

Advice to Management

Respect and treat employees and their time the way you want to be treated.

Innovative and progressive? No. Old school and micromanaged? Yes.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Calendar Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First, the other reviews are from folks who work in the stores. I worked in the home office in Austin. If I have to think of a pro, it's that you probably won't get fired. There are people who couldn't get a job any place else, but have been at Calendar Holdings for 10+ years. Also, there are free giveaways of calendars, games, puzzles and books. That's kinda cool.

Cons

Someone recently asked me about all the openings and I kept repeating, "you don't want to work there." Nice, upbeat people get beat down until they leave. Only the mean, crabby people stay. It's a very negative atmosphere where someone is always looking over your shoulder and complaining about you or someone else. There are lots of people who work hard, but at the end of the day, it seems like you're working harder, not smarter, as you don't have the tools and/or resources.

Advice to Management

First of all, quit micromanaging. Trust your folks to make decisions. That's why you hired them. There's no reason why a CEO should have to approve all 1,000 store leases, especially when you have a VP of real estate. Second, get rid of seasonal hours. Your folks are already working 40+ hours off season, don't add to it. People shouldn't have to stay late, without extra pay, just because it's season. Third, bring back the fun, like CalOlympics and fun days. You beat us down and then take away the stuff that keeps us motivated. Sigh.

8. Don't let the cool factor fool you.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Calendar Holdings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture is cool. There's some really cool stores that Calendar Holdings owns in the Pacific Northwest. Being able to have your own style and be true to yourself is an awesome aspect.

Cons

The pay is not livable even as a supervisor, assistant manager, or store manager. Even with nearly a decade of experience, they will try to pay you less than 10.00 an hour with .20 yearly increases (if your review goes well). It's heartbreaking, especially for the employees that truly love the company but ultimately feel like a nothing. Corporate doesn't acknowledge or thank it's employees for going above and beyond, instead of they insist on cutting hours to the point of only having two people run their stores per day. No ability to take lunch or regular breaks.

Advice to Management

You have to give a little to get a little. Acknowledge and reward the people who'd practically break their back to keep working for you. Give them a livable wage. Come work in the stores and run them to the impossible standards you create. Employees who have been here for years are suddenly leaving or having to find second and third jobs. Invest in giving your employees better wages, benefits, and hours, and see how much passion will refill the heart of the company. Also: TRAINING. Get on board with training manuals and expectations, so people feel like they know what they are doing.

9. I would do it again

Former Employee - Franchise Holder in Elyria, OH
    Former Employee - Franchise Holder in Elyria, OH

I worked at Calendar Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned about the retail model really fast. There is also the ability to fail, went into the franchise without the idea that I would be spoon fed. That said, the franchise receives a POS, signage and all of the stock, everything to start, with the franchise.

Cons

There will be some hidden costs, that you will have to absorb. Electricity, Phone, Insurance, Permits, Inspections... employees not coming in to open the store. This is best run by a family and not strangers.

Advice to Management

I would suggest themed product lines to offer independent video game stores. Nintendo, Disney, figures and toys to go with the video games and help them fill out their store. You can even consign them, and they will gladly help in order to fill their store with appealing products.

10. For the Independent

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Calendar Holdings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work independently, have a voice in the running of the store, nice upper management

Cons

Directions are not always clear, seasonal work only

Advice to Management

Store management is good. To upper management-make directions more clear. Employees are building the business from scratch each season and should have very clear instructions and support.

11. It was a laid back and welcoming work environment.

I worked at Calendar Holdings

Pros

Easy place to work with laid back managers.

Cons

Usually only one person working at time, so you have to use the restroom before your shift.

RSS Feed </> Embed